Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

jisforjosh posted:

Even with that leak, there's nothing about Wild Blue Yonder

Potentially massive spoilers based on the leaks: So if I'm reading this right, does this mean we're going to end with two versions of Tennant Doctor just hanging out somewhere? Granted, one in another universe, but still.

RTD really doesn't want to kill Tennant.

Oh poo poo, I just realized how it'll probably end. 15 will ask 14 if he wants to come with him on an adventure, and 14 will look at Donna and Rose, and look back to 15 and say, "I don't want to go."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

As someone who really liked the revival up until Capaldi's run, is it worth picking up again? If so, where?

I think I stopped watching because of a mix of long delays and poor writing in the Capaldi episodes I saw. They had already started to lose me towards the end of Smith's run, what with the multiple endings and having to come up with overly-clever reasons to yell the name of the show. Have things improved since then?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Skyl3lazer posted:

As someone who really liked the revival up until Capaldi's run, is it worth picking up again? If so, where?

I think I stopped watching because of a mix of long delays and poor writing in the Capaldi episodes I saw. They had already started to lose me towards the end of Smith's run, what with the multiple endings and having to come up with overly-clever reasons to yell the name of the show. Have things improved since then?

If you didn't like Capaldi's run (or the end of Smith's), you were probably just over Moffat running the show, which is understandable. There's great stuff in there, but it probably wasn't your thing anymore. In which case, I'd say the best place to jump back on would be the special that just aired this past Saturday. RTD is back as show runner.

The show runner between Moffat and RTD 2.0, Chibnall, did not improve things, no.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

The first head writer/showrunner who handled the Eccleston and Tennant years is suddenly back, with Disney money (and he's brought back the Doctor, a companion, and the composer from his era for four specials). He is writing more or less just as he used to, so if you enjoyed his era, you are likely to enjoy the show starting from the specials that are currently airing on Disney Plus. It is unapologetically campy and didactic, with the power of love and egalitarianism often saving the day, as you may recall.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

thrawn527 posted:

If you didn't like Capaldi's run (or the end of Smith's), you were probably just over Moffat running the show, which is understandable. There's great stuff in there, but it probably wasn't your thing anymore. In which case, I'd say the best place to jump back on would be the special that just aired this past Saturday. RTD is back as show runner.

The show runner between Moffat and RTD 2.0, Chibnall, did not improve things, no.

Thanks, I'll check that out. That's "The Star Beast" correct? Are there any highlights of Capaldi or Whittaker's run that I should check out?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

Thanks, I'll check that out. That's "The Star Beast" correct?

Yup, that's the one.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Skyl3lazer posted:

Thanks, I'll check that out. That's "The Star Beast" correct? Are there any highlights of Capaldi or Whittaker's run that I should check out?
Watch Husbands of River Song and then Capaldi's final season.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Skyl3lazer posted:

It might not make much sense outside of the greater narrative of S9, but Heaven Sent is probably one of the best episodes of the revival.

(Its follow up, Hell Bent, less so)

All in all, Capaldi’s run was much better than latter-day Smith, and the writing keeps improving as his tenture goes on. If you just want twelve solid episodes of him, check out S10 with Bill as his companion.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Seconding Husbands of River Song and Capaldi's last season, but skip Pyramid at the End of the World, The Lie of the Land and honestly it's probably fine to skip Twice Upon A Time too.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Heaven Sent is the best episode of Doctor Who so I do think it's worth seeing some of Capaldi if only to get the necessary context for that to really hit well.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The Caretaker is a personal favourite. Dark Water/Death In Heaven and Last Christmas are ones I've gone back to a million times. Heaven Sent/Hell Bent, and you may want to do Face The Raven which leads into them, but I don't really rate that episode

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Nthing Heave Sent. Also I forget the title but the Genesis of the Cybermen season finale was pretty good, too.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Basically everybody loves Heaven Sent and unfortunately you do need at least a little bit of context for it to work.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Potentially massive spoilers based on the leaks: So if I'm reading this right, does this mean we're going to end with two versions of Tennant Doctor just hanging out somewhere? Granted, one in another universe, but still.

RTD really doesn't want to kill Tennant.

Oh poo poo, I just realized how it'll probably end. 15 will ask 14 if he wants to come with him on an adventure, and 14 will look at Donna and Rose, and look back to 15 and say, "I don't want to go."

I mean, I suppose it could happen but I really don't think RTD is going to cast the show's first black lead and go 'but we have another Doctor in backup just in case" it's just a super weird statement.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
10/14 having another go and possibly sticking around would work a lot more for me if they just used it an excuse to finally close the loop on the Valeyard. Let Tennant ham it up as a bad guy, a full exploration on the selfishness of "I don't want to go".

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I know it's expanded media stuff but didn't they already explore that idea with Time Lord Victorious?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Yannick_B posted:

I mean, I suppose it could happen but I really don't think RTD is going to cast the show's first black lead and go 'but we have another Doctor in backup just in case" it's just a super weird statement.

This is my primary worry really with this rumour/leak.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

lines posted:

This is my primary worry really with this rumour/leak.

I've always thought that bringing Tennant back was a bad move, for the simple fact that A)it's clearly a desperate attempt to revive the show's flagging ratings, and B)it's potentially going to kneecap the new Doctor's run before it even gets started, if audience retention is bad once the new Doctor's run begins.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I'm not sure I would call it desperate. But ultimately Chibnall did leave things in a bad state.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Good LORD that special has one of the most ham-handed doctor who bits in the history of the show lmao

NON BINARY I just about fell out of my chair cackling.

It was a decent special though, just still lmaoing at it.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Honestly I missed RTD beating me over the head with the storytelling equivalent of a toaster.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

HD DAD posted:

Honestly I missed RTD beating me over the head with the storytelling equivalent of a toaster.

It's honestly and unironically refreshing, lol. It's a show about a magic time travel box with an amorphous, benevolent trickster. I'm glad he took the Disney money and basically just wrote a rainbow primal scream for his first teleplay back. This show is always a trainwreck, it may as well be one that runs over bigots.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1730330885688377485?s=20
Leaks continue to be proving correct.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

There's nothing in this that confirms the leak!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

There's nothing in this that confirms the leak!

Except for the title, Davina McCall and the adorable gobbos

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

This is the most RTD poo poo imaginable and I am somehow very much here for it. I never watched the first RTD run as it aired (except I watched the episode with Simon Pegg from the first series when SciFi aired it like three months later) and watched it after watching series 5, wasn't as into it because I started with Matt Smith and Moffatt, but after watching Moffatt's go up his rear end and then Chibnall just bungling it all, I appreciate this style a lot more and now that he has Disney money to make things look good, I am on board.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

This is the most RTD poo poo imaginable and I am somehow very much here for it.

This is where I'm at, lmao. He seems self-aware of what he's doing and is somehow deconstructing it while.throwing a party for it and giving it awards. Legit excited to see what the hell he's going to do next.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Martha is going to be the only companion from the 10th doctor era who doesn't have their version of that doctor.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
From the other thread, re: Wild Blue Yonder

Autisanal Cheese posted:

what have you heard

Opens with a comedy Isaac Newton bit, and shapeshifters. I mean, grain of salt but yeah.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Confusedslight posted:

Martha is going to be the only companion from the 10th doctor era who doesn't have their version of that doctor.

Well, she got to keep Mickey. :crossarms:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

PriorMarcus posted:

Gee, lucky her.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Years later, and Nine’s dislike of him is justified.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
https://twitter.com/kingsley_tom/status/1729767825617633732

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

PriorMarcus posted:

Aside from Noel Clarke turning out to be a complete piece of poo poo, the main thing I remember about that was when people lambasted RTD's lazy writing for pairing up the two black companions--who'd had little, if any, interaction with each other previously in the series--and his response (I think it was in that book of emails to Ben Cook that got published) was to say that he was shocked that people would call him a lazy writer, because he worked like 18 hours each day on writing for the show (or some similar "missing the point completely" response). :rolleyes:

lines
Aug 18, 2013

The Writer's Tale really is a fascinating read.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Seems legit.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

lines posted:

The Writer's Tale really is a fascinating read.

If only for an insight into Davies' creative process, and also just how massively loving burnt-out he was by the whole thing--writing, production, studio politics, casting, editing, the whole nine yards--at the very end.

I can only imagine his partner's illness took a massive toll on him, too. :(

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Possibly work was a good outlet at the same time as a distraction, but yeah, it must have been crucifying all at the same time. :smith:

I forgot the Marvin-esque robot is in tonight’s ep.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
My dream scenario is that they’ve filmed bits and pieces for a non-existent episode, like how Inside No 9 sent out promos for an On the Buses parody which turned out to actually be a quiz show hosted by Lee Mack. (Spoilers just in case)

Tonight’s episode is actually a McGann and Capaldi pair-up with a small cameo from Eccleston, Three Doctors style.

Creature fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Creature posted:

(Spoilers just in case)

It's [spoiler] without the S at the end

You can also highlight the text and press CTRL + P to get the tags added around it

CTRL + S is strikethrough