Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Rollergator did not go in the direction I expected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The constant guitar noodling throughout Rollergator really gives you the feeling they were making the movie up as they filmed it. Every time there’s a new shot it feels surprising somehow. It exists in a weird limbo between home movie and narrative.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Sash! posted:

Rollergator did not go in the direction I expected

"I don't have to gently caress the puppet do I?"

Deeply curious what direction you expected

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Couple more good revival host segments--

I think it was in Santo and the Treasure of Dracula where Tom and Crow were dressed as wrestlers with Jonah as the ref and they were doing their pre-show hype monologue spiel but it turned into them yelling things like "I admire you and everything you stand for, brotheerrrrrrr!"

The ending of The Mask where they did a 3D host segment. It maybe wasn't the funniest segment but the 3D looked awesome and it was well executed.

The Concepts! song from The Day that Time Ended. Baron was particularly impressive.

I liked the Star Trek breakfast foods Invention Exchange from The Bubble.

The Eddie conference from Beyond Atlantis was also fun, though rightfully overshadowed by Mothercrabber.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Splint Chesthair posted:

The constant guitar noodling throughout Rollergator really gives you the feeling they were making the movie up as they filmed it. Every time there’s a new shot it feels surprising somehow. It exists in a weird limbo between home movie and narrative.

Fun fact: they were!

quote:

Throughout his career Jackson worked with several filmmakers including Roger Corman and James Cameron[6] but it was not until he began a long collaboration with American filmmaker Scott Shaw that the team created a method they called zen filmmaking. Zen filmmaking is a distinct style of filmmaking where no scripts are used in the creation of a film.[7][8] Actors who frequently starred in Jackson's films included Joe Estevez and Robert Z'Dar.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Lumbermouth posted:

Fun fact: they were!

Well whaddaya know. Huh.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

oh my god, the director of Rollergator directed Hell Comes to Frogtown

I had no idea

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Splint Chesthair posted:

I heard that guitar riff in my dreams.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
:guitar: ~I only learned one lick
Does this bug you at all
Gotta practice my lick
Only 10 hours more~

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
To the G! To the G chord, men! Now!

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

WhiteHowler posted:

One of the big differences for me is that all of the new host segments have a very specific, polished execution. The camera is always a fixed distance, everything is too well-lit, and the cast always speaks very loudly and clearly, like a stage play. All of the lines are shouted to the camera; the delivery reminds me of an SNL sketch.

This absolutely hits the nail on the head. Especially the SNL part. You can even feel the 'wait for audience reaction' pause.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Lumbermouth posted:

Actors who frequently starred in Jackson's films included Joe Estevez and Robert Z'Dar.

Oh Z'No!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Joe Estevez and Robert Z’Dar? Great, now I’ll be thinking about soultaking all night

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
It Lives By Night is my go to "Im going watch this and instantly fall asleep"

Love that episode

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
The only time I made it through Hamlet, it was back when you could still turn off your mobile screen and still play YouTube videos. Turns out it's pretty funny when you listen to it!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I knew I had some extra "Rub" around.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Joe Estevez and Robert Z’Dar? Great, now I’ll be thinking about soultaking all night

Go home Joe!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Fezz posted:

The only time I made it through Hamlet, it was back when you could still turn off your mobile screen and still play YouTube videos.

use YT on Firefox with a plugin and you're set

it's key for this episode

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
You know, the country needs skilled trade rats.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Beast of Yucca Flats is still probably the overall worst movie they've ever riffed in the show

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sardonik posted:

"I don't have to gently caress the puppet do I?"

Deeply curious what direction you expected

Honestly, when I saw the thumbnail on YouTube, I thought that the Rollergator was attacking someone and anticipated something that was trying to be horrifying. Perhaps he was some sort of robot or cyborg!

In retrospect, the Rollergator did attack people and commit violence, but not the kind I wanted and I did not want to be the victim.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

drrockso20 posted:

Beast of Yucca Flats is still probably the overall worst movie they've ever riffed in the show

Hamlet is the one I think is the worst, but that feels somewhat unfair because it isn't even an actual movie, made for about 6 AM-Marks, and not even in English.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Sash! posted:

Hamlet is the one I think is the worst, but that feels somewhat unfair because it isn't even an actual movie, made for about 6 AM-Marks, and not even in English.

Hamlet is probably the worse production but like you said it's not an actual film while Beast of Yucca Flats ostensibly and legally is a "film" so I can cut the former a tiny bit of slack while the latter gets the full force of my ire

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Laserblast is the worst, I fuckin’ hate that movie

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I’m concerned that you might not be ready for some football.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Good BYE, Joe!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

What are you talking about? Leonard Maltin gave Laserblast two and a half stars!

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 21, 2023

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Castle of Fu Manchu is the worst one I've seen.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

mst3k is too cowardly to riff heartbeeps imo. 10 minutes of watching andy kaufmann doing his latka voice and just going "beep boop what is love" the entire time, and the entire cast would immediately quit

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Is it because it is too real?

I personally know like five guys that are basically living that movie minus the Laserblasting part.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
living what? the movie is nothing but wholly unpleasant people who have one pool party and one of them is a spree killer

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

There's also a government agent doing government agent things and a deranged old man!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Claymation aliens with butt pods! Exploding cars! Roddy McDowall! Dad’s electric supply van! Sheet cake! Back fat!

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I saw a Cops where they pulled a skinny guy out from under a couch.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

The 7th Guest posted:

mst3k is too cowardly to riff heartbeeps imo. 10 minutes of watching andy kaufmann doing his latka voice and just going "beep boop what is love" the entire time, and the entire cast would immediately quit

Crimebuster is the lone redeeming element of that film (and the John Williams musical motif for it).

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Laserblast takes place in a dark alternate reality where nerds bully the cool kids.

Yes Billy is a burnout loser but he's still higher on the social ladder than Mandark and Budget Stephen Stills.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The part where he laserblasts a sign that just has the Star Wars logo on it is still incredible.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I hadn't finished reading that!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Splint Chesthair posted:

I pity the poor dopes who got into MST3K through something actually somewhat watchable, like Deadly Mantis or Amazing Colossal Man. They had no idea of the grim meathook realities awaiting them. Poor dopes.

My first "episode" was the movie, which was incredible. Then afterwards my brother and I started hunting for episodes and found an IRC channel where someone hooked me up with an FTP that had all the episodes on it, but just the raw episodes listed by season, episode number and name, and no other information in a big directory. So we started downloading random episodes with our slow ISDN at the speed of "one episode overnight" and watching them the next day.

There were a LOT of surprises. Some good, but mostly not. "Ooh, Sidehackers! I wonder if that's like a bad 80s computer hacking movie!"

Angry_Ed posted:

:guitar: ~I only learned one lick
Does this bug you at all
Gotta practice my lick
Only 10 hours more~

Chord chord chord chord chord chord other chord
Chord chord chord chord other chord

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Nov 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

John Murdoch posted:

The part where he laserblasts a sign that just has the Star Wars logo on it is still incredible.

Reminding one of the movie Star Wars