Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
System requirements are out, not as insane as they could be. Let's hope they're using the delay for optimization as well.

https://www.homeworlduniverse.com/homeworld-3-system-requirements/

https://twitter.com/HomeworldGame/status/1729561843658604910

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I'm getting flashbacks to struggling to run Homeworld 2 on my aging PC.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Travic posted:

I'm getting flashbacks to struggling to run Homeworld 2 on my aging PC.

Same. I saw that last night and was like "Wow, I can't wait to play a Homeworld game again and have my computer melt down trying to render 15FPS of spaceships. Is it 2003 again already?"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Raytracing can look amazing when it's implemented well but it is such a framerate killer that it's a hard sell for many. Stuff like frame generation and dlss are impressive tools to make it more usable but I worry that they'll be used as shortcuts to avoid doing the hard work to optimize games to run smoothly on multiple hardware setups.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 29, 2023

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

lagidnam posted:

System requirements are out, not as insane as they could be. Let's hope they're using the delay for optimization as well.

https://www.homeworlduniverse.com/homeworld-3-system-requirements/

https://twitter.com/HomeworldGame/status/1729561843658604910

Huh. Well, took my PC long enough, but it finally fell out of the minimum viability range. Looks like I can... *checks finances* upgrade my PC back up to spec around Spring 2025. Welp, guess at least I should consider myself lucky most of the games I bought this year still ran. Somewhat. :v:

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

THE BAR posted:

Non-canon, we want hokey prophecies and snubbed Bentusi.

Misread as "hockey prophecies."

In the beginning, the first Stanley Cup was found...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mr. Fish posted:

Misread as "hockey prophecies."

In the beginning, the first Stanley Cup was found...

100 years ago, a satellite detected an object under the sands of the Great Desert.
An expedition was sent.
An ancient rink buried in the sand.
Deep inside the ruin was a single stone that would change the course of our history forever.

On the stone was etched countless numbers
and a single word more ancient than the clans themselves:
Hockeyra
Our game.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Arc Hammer posted:

100 years ago, a satellite detected an object under the sands of the Great Desert.
An expedition was sent.
An ancient rink buried in the sand.
Deep inside the ruin was a single stone that would change the course of our history forever.

On the stone was etched countless numbers
and a single word more ancient than the clans themselves:
Hockeyra
Our game.

p sure this is how that Mighty Ducks cartoon in the 90s started

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
March 8 release date announced.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Adun posted:

March 8 release date announced.

:toot:

Orv
May 4, 2011
March already looking dangerously stacked.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How are we feeling about Homeworld 3 though? Its been in development hell for a long time now.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Can't be worse than 2! :rimshot:

I dunno, Blackbird seems to have some good chops, I'm not entirely without hope but I'm definitely not as jazzed as I once was.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I said come in! posted:

How are we feeling about Homeworld 3 though? Its been in development hell for a long time now.

Those preview videos of the roguelite mode looked neat

I haven't actually seen much else beyond the story looking kind of generic

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Homeworld 3 will be GOTY 2024

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I said come in! posted:

Is it development hell or just development? As far as I know they haven't cancelled and restarted work on it, or passed work around from one company to another, which I'd classify as signs of trouble. They've just been working on it for a long time with a single (unless I'm forgetting something?) delay in there earlier in the year.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Is it development hell or just development? As far as I know they haven't cancelled and restarted work on it, or passed work around from one company to another, which I'd classify as signs of trouble. They've just been working on it for a long time with a single (unless I'm forgetting something?) delay in there earlier in the year.

Yeah, pretty much, when I think "dev hell" I think of something like BGE2.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It's funny, I've been playing Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock lately and while it's been scratching the Homeworld itch a bit, I loving HATE turn-based RTSes (which there's no real point to it being because there's no enemy turn, just a planning phase and an action phase) so I'm glad Homeworld 3 actually has a real release date now.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

its been a long time but were almost there looks like

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

nine-gear crow posted:

It's funny, I've been playing Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock lately and while it's been scratching the Homeworld itch a bit, I loving HATE turn-based RTSes (which there's no real point to it being because there's no enemy turn, just a planning phase and an action phase) so I'm glad Homeworld 3 actually has a real release date now.

Give it time and you'll have a BSG mod up and running.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

Pretty much guaranteed to happen. I was happy to see the mention of strong mod support on the Steam page.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm pretty drat sure Deadlock started its life as a BSG Homeworld mod too, by the way. It was A mod for a space strat game before becoming a real big boy game itself, I know that much.

Burns
May 10, 2008

The game will stand or fall on the quality of its story.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Burns posted:

The game will stand or fall on the quality of its story.

Actually it will stand or fall on the quality of Paul's soundtrack.

They are getting Paul Ruskay back, yes?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VY8Q4X8GsE

glad to finally get confirmation that homeworld 3 is homeworld 2 1

Arc Hammer posted:

They are getting Paul Ruskay back, yes?

yes. they've been using his music in every trailer besides the completely awful story one

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Eyyy I'm gonna need three mythical hyperspace cores to run this at 60fps

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

The CPU is burning.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
When you run your GPU so hot it turns into the Beast mothership.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Arc Hammer posted:

Actually it will stand or fall on the quality of the unit barks and comms chatter.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hit. Hit. Damage Report.

Breach in starboard fusion chamber.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 1, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Hit. Hit. Damage Report.

Breach in starboard fusion chamber.

Of your CPU?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

I said come in! posted:

Cautious. 2023 has been a terrible year for AA+ releases for me with a few exceptions. A lot of titles I was looking forward to this year ended up releasing as wet farts, and I'm really hoping HW3 doesn't do the same "Well it's 80% done but here it is at full price! We'll be back to fix it in a month or 6"

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm pretty drat sure Deadlock started its life as a BSG Homeworld mod too, by the way. It was A mod for a space strat game before becoming a real big boy game itself, I know that much.

You're thinking of Diaspora, Deadlock was always a licensed product, it didn't start as a fan game.

It had a prototype called starhammer or something but that was just making sure the system worked.

Anyway BBI has reliably made good stuff so I feel pretty okay saying Homeworld 3 will be good.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

the beast's real history is that there were goons on that ship from the other galaxy and naturally due to amazing hygiene you know the rest

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

HallelujahLee posted:

the beast's real history is that there were goons on that ship from the other galaxy and naturally due to amazing hygiene you know the rest

"Kiith's blood it's massive"

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

"Kiith's blood it's massive"

"we caught em napping"

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Fishstick posted:

Cautious. 2023 has been a terrible year for AA+ releases for me with a few exceptions. A lot of titles I was looking forward to this year ended up releasing as wet farts, and I'm really hoping HW3 doesn't do the same "Well it's 80% done but here it is at full price! We'll be back to fix it in a month or 6"

On a more hopeful note BG3 was the exact opposite of that and is also the third entry in a series that came out in the 90s.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Adun posted:

On a more hopeful note BG3 was the exact opposite of that and is also the third entry in a series that came out in the 90s.

And while it was an excellent RPG, it was a terrible Baldur's Gate game.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Was it? A lot of people have been positive. So what makes it 'a terrible Baldur's Gate game'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Bloodly posted:

Was it? A lot of people have been positive. So what makes it 'a terrible Baldur's Gate game'?
It's turn-based instead real-time with pause. :colbert: