Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

change my name posted:

The 8bitdo board is on sale for $90. It's great and what I'm using as my daily driver

I just ordered the FamiCom version of this because I have nostalgia for things I never had. Going to swap it in for my Corsair K100 with OPX switches since I really don't like optical switches it turns out. It'll also allow me to finally uninstall iCUE :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
So I had a bit of a uh mishap, wherein I dropped a keyboard, and it smashed a key on the bottom row - right control. Unfortunately, it's a prebuilt from ducky (mini 3) with no spares for the bottom row. Thankfully, I ordered some keys for a different keyboard not long ago that kinda fit it?

I kinda like how it turned out, it's not the exact same profile of keys, but I made the best situation out of me essentially spaghetti handing my keyboard straight to the ground... I kinda like it a bit more than the original, because it feels a bit more customized...

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I've been using this for minutes now and I can already tell I like it way more than the Corsair K100 with linear optical switches. This is a hell of a keyboard for $90 USD.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I can't get over the giant two button macro pad

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it has extra inputs for external macros and they're standard TRS connections so i guess you could plug in a generic footswitch as well if you wanted to

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Friends, what happened to Cherry Blacks?

I have been eyeballing a Wooting Two for a while, but have held off because I have a problem with linear switches, based on my past experience with Cherry Reds. My hands are too heavy, and I kept finding myself semi-depressing a key without realizing it until my computer started wigging out and spamming "d" or "space". So I've decided I was going to "rent" a keyboard with blacks or some other 60N switch until the Amazon return period was up to make sure that I wouldn't repeat the issue with 60N switches, but they're gone? Like, it seems they have fallen out of favor with any reputable brand. (I have never heard of "durgod" before this.) Did they just all go to the equivalent Gaterons? What is the equivalent Gateron?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 27, 2023

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Did they just all go to the equivalent Gaterons? What is the equivalent Gateron?
Gateron also do blacks but yellows (intermediate weighting between reds and blacks) are generally more popular these days, a lot of people find blacks too heavy.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Friends, what happened to Cherry Blacks?

I have been eyeballing a Wooting Two for a while, but have held off because I have a problem with linear switches, based on my past experience with Cherry Reds. My hands are too heavy, and I kept finding myself semi-depressing a key without realizing it until my computer started wigging out and spamming "d" or "space". So I've decided I was going to "rent" a keyboard with blacks or some other 60N switch until the Amazon return period was up, but they're gone? Like, it seems they have fallen out of favor with any reputable brand. (I have never heard of "durgod" before this.) Did they just all go to the equivalent Gaterons? What is the equivalent Gateron?

There are a lot of cheaper and smoother switches out nowadays from a ton of manufacturers. Cherry has mostly fallen by the wayside the hobbyist part of the market, where a ton of new manufacturers have popped up offering cheaper, better, and more unique materials. MX Blacks are still very popular in the enthusiast part of the hobby, but mostly those that are "vintage", and newer ones that have been heavily broken-in.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Well that's annoying, because I was hoping to do this with a cheapo keyboard to make sure I wouldn't have the same problem with 60N switches before getting the expensive keyboard. (I typically use Browns to avoid the heavy hands issue.)

Anyone got a keyboard with blacks they want to unload to me?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Well that's annoying, because I was hoping to do this with a cheapo keyboard to make sure I wouldn't have the same problem with 60N switches before getting the expensive keyboard. (I typically use Browns to avoid the heavy hands issue.)

If you can't find one with MX Blacks, a lot of keyboards come with hotswap sockets these days, which makes swapping springs in the switches feasible and straightforward. A bag of springs is a few dollars, and it would take an hour or two to swap all the springs.

Alternatively, you can buy a barebones keyboard and then buy MX blacks, or one of the thousands of switches that are out now with similar spring weight. Cannonkeys has some MX Black-like switches that I would highly recommend over stock MX Blacks, like these: https://cannonkeys.com/products/jwick-black-linear-switch?_pos=31&_fid=eb7a92b86&_ss=c

Gearman fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 27, 2023

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I have a ducky shine 7 with blacks, the blue LEDs don't work, interested? I'm in Canada. I'm out now but can chat later.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Do keychron k3 keycaps exist that fit the profile? LSA?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've had an issue with my CTRL keyboard for a while now that has confused me. The keyboard will randomly stop working (as in, hitting keys does nothing, or it'll stop as I'm hitting a key and just repeat that key endlessly until I unplug it). Unplugging and replugging the USB cable fixes this (until it happens again, which can be anywhere from 10 seconds later to 4 hours later).

At first, I assumed it was a cable issue, so I used a different cable. Still happened. Then I thought maybe it was a port issue, and the keyboard fortunately has two USB ports so I tried the other one. Still happened. So that seems to imply that it's not an issue related to the USB connection (unless both ports somehow ended up with the same bug), but it's still (temporarily) resolved by unplugging/replugging the keyboard.

Does anyone know what might cause this?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Ytlaya posted:

I've had an issue with my CTRL keyboard for a while now that has confused me. The keyboard will randomly stop working (as in, hitting keys does nothing, or it'll stop as I'm hitting a key and just repeat that key endlessly until I unplug it). Unplugging and replugging the USB cable fixes this (until it happens again, which can be anywhere from 10 seconds later to 4 hours later).

At first, I assumed it was a cable issue, so I used a different cable. Still happened. Then I thought maybe it was a port issue, and the keyboard fortunately has two USB ports so I tried the other one. Still happened. So that seems to imply that it's not an issue related to the USB connection (unless both ports somehow ended up with the same bug), but it's still (temporarily) resolved by unplugging/replugging the keyboard.

Could be a power issue. Is something taking power away from it?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the drop keyboards are known for drawing a lot of power which can cause problems with long/coiled USB cables

i know you said you tried a different cable but have you tried a shorter one

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

I don't know the solution to your problem exactly but the pcb was designed by someone who doesnt know how to design pcbs

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

haha autorouter goes brrrrrrrrrr

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Gearman posted:

If you can't find one with MX Blacks, a lot of keyboards come with hotswap sockets these days, which makes swapping springs in the switches feasible and straightforward. A bag of springs is a few dollars, and it would take an hour or two to swap all the springs.

Alternatively, you can buy a barebones keyboard and then buy MX blacks, or one of the thousands of switches that are out now with similar spring weight. Cannonkeys has some MX Black-like switches that I would highly recommend over stock MX Blacks, like these: https://cannonkeys.com/products/jwick-black-linear-switch?_pos=31&_fid=eb7a92b86&_ss=c

Well, the idea was to do this as cheaply, as low-effort, and as low-impact as possible. You know, just rent a keyboard from someone big like Logitech for a few months, it's not even going to show up as a blip on their quarterly sheets.

mewse posted:

I don't know the solution to your problem exactly but the pcb was designed by someone who doesnt know how to design pcbs

God, those traces are hideous.

VelociBacon posted:

I have a ducky shine 7 with blacks, the blue LEDs don't work, interested? I'm in Canada. I'm out now but can chat later.

I'm interested, send me a PM.

handoferis
Dec 25, 2022

YerDa Zabam posted:

Any of you guys got an HHKB (or any Topre I guess)? If so have you done any of the "make it a bit quieter" fuckery shown here -
unrealkeyboards.com/pages/topre-modification-guide

I realise that both are unlikely, but it's worth a try eh.
Just wondering if it's worth the effort, and cost, before I do it

Most of the stuff on that page is okay but whatever you do, do not lube the PCB - the guy who posted that invented this nonsense and it just causes the springs to get caught in the lube and twang a bunch in a way that you can 100% feel. I wasn't able to fix this without cleaning all the lube off the PCB and every spring individually. It's not worth it.

Also, general warning that the guy behind that site, BuddyOG is a raging anti-LGBT nutter, so, might be worth looking at somewhere like Deskeys if you don't want to support that.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica
Just got to unbox and try out my NuPhy Air V2 and I must say it feels much better and sounds awesome compared to the Keychron I had previously. I can definitely recommend these over any other Keyboard I have used for a Mac. I also got the shinethrough caps but haven't gotten around to installing them yet :v:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SwissArmyDruid was able to find a kb for cheaper in their area, I made an SA-Mart thread to show the Shine 7 with LED issues to them, so I'll just link it here. You can look at my posts in the thread and probably see me talking about the kb while I was using it. I'm open to offers.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

SwissArmyDruid posted:

God, those traces are hideous.

Oh, I thought we were just talking about the component placement. I didn't even see the traces, I thought those were smudges or board artwork or something.

Eesh.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Got a logitech g915 tkl and drat does it feel nice only having one keyboard on the desk since I can swap between my home and work computer with a button.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

handoferis posted:

Most of the stuff on that page is okay but whatever you do, do not lube the PCB - the guy who posted that invented this nonsense and it just causes the springs to get caught in the lube and twang a bunch in a way that you can 100% feel. I wasn't able to fix this without cleaning all the lube off the PCB and every spring individually. It's not worth it.

Also, general warning that the guy behind that site, BuddyOG is a raging anti-LGBT nutter, so, might be worth looking at somewhere like Deskeys if you don't want to support that.

Yeah, I took one look at the PCB basting and thought "lmao, nope"

Thanks for the info on the guy being a piece of poo poo, I'll get the stuff elsewhere.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

change my name posted:

I am not sure why, but CyberpowerPC has dumped its 60% boards on Amazon for only $87 (MSRP is $149): https://www.amazon.com/CyberpowerPC-CK60W-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B0CKKPX8L7

Fully hot-swappable in a CNCed solid aluminum chassis with Gateron Reds

So quick question: if this keyboard lacks a "Del" key, how are you meant to unlock a windows PC with it?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

So quick question: if this keyboard lacks a "Del" key, how are you meant to unlock a windows PC with it?

Fn + Backspace = Delete, or you could remap a key. I've been using the Wooting 60HE this week and been having similar quality of life issues

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

That combo toggles the backlights it seems.

I'll have to play with the software I guess.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If you've bought a keyboard without a "Del" key, you don't deserve to unlock a computer.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Del the QWERTY homosapien

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Dude you're getting a Del.

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023
My Cherry MX Grey switches should arrive today. Looking forward to see how I like 80 cN tactile switches. I 'll be installing on a white GMMK 67 board with Aura V2 white keycaps.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

VelociBacon posted:

Del the QWERTY homosapien

lmao

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

get the massive 8bitdo macro button and map it

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica
Are switches supposed to be very difficult to pull out from the keyboard? Seems like the tool that came with my keyboard just can’t pull any of them out.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

BUUNNI posted:

Are switches supposed to be very difficult to pull out from the keyboard? Seems like the tool that came with my keyboard just can’t pull any of them out.

Usually it's not very hard but you do have to depress the little tabs on the top and bottom of the switch with the tool to get the switch out of the plate.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

BUUNNI posted:

Just got to unbox and try out my NuPhy Air V2 and I must say it feels much better and sounds awesome compared to the Keychron I had previously. I can definitely recommend these over any other Keyboard I have used for a Mac. I also got the shinethrough caps but haven't gotten around to installing them yet :v:

Of course I’d read this after putting my order in for a Keychain K8 Pro for my Mac lol. I’m hoping it’ll suit me fine and it’ll just go back if not.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

EL BROMANCE posted:

Of course I’d read this after putting my order in for a Keychain K8 Pro for my Mac lol. I’m hoping it’ll suit me fine and it’ll just go back if not.

I like to code and work in the dark so for me it was a no-brainer.

I had a really hard time finding full profile shinethrough caps for Macintosh when I still had my Keychron so when I saw that NuPhy can bundle shinethroughs I switched immediately. Keychron is still makes a drat good keyboard, I just prefer the way the low-profile NuPhy Air V2 looks and feels (also my Keychron stopped working lol). Once I switched the old keycaps to shinethrough caps I got pretty much locked in to it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This is a stupid question, but can I put cherry profile keycaps and regular mx switches on a non-low-profile NuPhy? I’ve only just started branching out from keychron stuff and want a ~65% mac-friendly keyboard that feels nice.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

mostly yes, but it looks like they do north facing switches (LEDs at the top) which can cause cherry profile keycaps to collide with certain switches on the middle row

it doesn't bother some people but keep it in mind

other keycaps profiles don't have that issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

BUUNNI posted:

I like to code and work in the dark so for me it was a no-brainer.

I had a really hard time finding full profile shinethrough caps for Macintosh when I still had my Keychron so when I saw that NuPhy can bundle shinethroughs I switched immediately. Keychron is still makes a drat good keyboard, I just prefer the way the low-profile NuPhy Air V2 looks and feels (also my Keychron stopped working lol). Once I switched the old keycaps to shinethrough caps I got pretty much locked in to it.

Ah yeah I’ll be surprised if I even turn the backlighting on at all, I never use it on my MacBooks. Totally makes sense for that circumstance, as decent a touch typer I claim to be there’s gonna be some symbols in the dark I’m gonna peck at. That NuPhy definitely looks a lot of fun, glad you’ve found a keeper!