Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The company was founded on November 26, 1905, when Florence Butt opened the C.C. Butt Grocery Store on the ground floor of her family home in Kerrville, Texas.[12]

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Achmed Jones posted:

i get powerful libertarian vibes from jamie. i have nothing to base this on other than my gut, though

there was an episode where they isolated themselves in a small hut during winter, i forgot what they were busting, but in order to pass the time jamie said he 'rewrote the united states constitution' so there's your answer

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
i read the st voyager article last night god what depressing poo poo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

graph posted:

there was an episode where they isolated themselves in a small hut during winter, i forgot what they were busting, but in order to pass the time jamie said he 'rewrote the united states constitution' so there's your answer

probably something about cabin fever and how to deal with it, that was definitely a segment

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

haveblue posted:

probably something about cabin fever and how to deal with it, that was definitely a segment

lol i found it, it was cabin fever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJYO-kNyP_M&t=2013s
(should be timestamped, it's at 33:33)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

lol i found it, it was cabin fever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJYO-kNyP_M&t=2013s
(should be timestamped, it's at 33:33)

lol I live in the US, what's with this bullshit?

matti
Mar 31, 2019

are you OK?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

akadajet posted:

lol I live in the US, what's with this bullshit?

lol i'm used to seeing that as a canadian

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

lol i'm used to seeing that as a canadian

of course. you don’t deserve the good American content

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

print that contribution out and frame it, asticky

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
In Issue 34 of Phoenix (November–December 1981), R.K. Jordan reviewed Air War and its expansion, Air War '80, and concluded that the game was so complex, the best way to play was as a team of several players, each handling one airplane function, aided by a computer and lots of time. He pointed out that in his experience, one turn representing 2.5 seconds could take two and a half weeks to play.[8]

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

hey, that's not worthless :)

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
congratulations to the brave adventurers who found the final horcrux. hopefully we can link their names when they return from the deep dark warrens

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

congratulations to the brave adventurers who found the final horcrux. hopefully we can link their names when they return from the deep dark warrens

It was smarxist's account.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

second to last was the chemical weapons depot the us decommissioned this year

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Some accounts have a gnat or mosquito enter Nimrod's brain and drive him out of his mind (a divine retribution which Jewish tradition also assigned to the Roman Emperor Titus, destroyer of the Temple in Jerusalem).[citation needed]

The identification with Ninus follows that of the Clementine Recognitions; the one with Zoroaster, that of the Clementine Homilies, both works part of Clementine literature.[43] Hislop attributed to Semiramis and Nimrod the invention of polytheism and, with it, goddess worship, and that their incestuous male offering was Tammuz.[44] He also claimed that the Catholic Church was a millennia-old secret conspiracy, founded by Semiramis and Nimrod to propagate the pagan religion of ancient Babylon.[45] Grabbe and others have rejected the book's arguments as based on a flawed understanding of the texts,[45][46] but variations of them are accepted among some groups of evangelical Protestants.[45][46]

However, it is in fact Daffy Duck who refers to Fudd as "my little Nimrod" in the 1948 short "What Makes Daffy Duck",[56] although Bugs Bunny does refer to Yosemite Sam as "the little Nimrod" in the 1951 short "Rabbit Every Monday".

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Mescal posted:

However, it is in fact Daffy Duck who refers to Fudd as "my little Nimrod" in the 1948 short "What Makes Daffy Duck",[56] although Bugs Bunny does refer to Yosemite Sam as "the little Nimrod" in the 1951 short "Rabbit Every Monday".

wait, R.E.M.'s name stand for that?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Suhi II was married to a woman named BONUS-ti

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

There is an expression, "it's all done with smoke and mirrors", used to explain something baffling, but effects seldom use mirrors today, due to the amount of installation work and transport difficulties.

ColTim
Oct 29, 2011
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Micronations_in_the_United_States

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:hmmyes:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kevin Baugh, of the Republic of Molossia.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Kevin Baugh, of the Republic of Molossia.

batou taking care of himself in retirement

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
He was couped by the Nostalgia Critic on more than one occasion. He's not a good ruler, IMO.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Captain Hygiene posted:

There is an expression, "it's all done with smoke and mirrors", used to explain something baffling, but effects seldom use mirrors today, due to the amount of installation work and transport difficulties.

i really like this one, but it might be my esl understanding of "baffliing". ive always took smoke & mirrors to mean subtle but baffling to be a "wtf" reaction

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Paladinus posted:

He was couped by the Nostalgia Critic on more than one occasion. He's not a good ruler, IMO.

couped by a youtuber wtf?

anyway,

On November 11, 1809, during the Napoleonic wars over Spain, wherein Denmark supported the French Empire, the City Council of Huéscar fancifully decided to declare its own war on Denmark. This event was swiftly forgotten until it was rediscovered by a local historian in 1981. This led to a symbolic peace ceremony on 11 November 1981, wherein the city mayor and the Ambassador of Denmark publicly shook hands.[4] No such war was conducted during the intervening 172 years and no conflict or injury occurred.[5][6]

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Carthag Tuek posted:

i really like this one, but it might be my esl understanding of "baffliing". ive always took smoke & mirrors to mean subtle but baffling to be a "wtf" reaction

I’d say smoke and mirrors generally means fake/misleasding. “Elon musk claims to be an engineer but it’s all smoke and mirrors”

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

To anyone else who assumed this was types of rocks: it's not.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Carthag Tuek posted:

I feel that "baffling" used to be more weighty in older use and is less so now(?) like how someone would use 'an awesome power' in old literature, but this is all my personal impression of how the usage has changed

I do like the term 'baffling them with bullshit' and will begin rotating it in again for work bs

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
In its original charter the following examples of "on-topic" areas were listed:
  • Chain letters
  • DoS attacks
  • Email address list
  • Email bomb
  • Email viruses
  • Filtering software
  • Large-scale mailings
  • Listserv bombs
  • Mailing list abuse
  • Pyramid schemes
  • Unsolicited email
Eventually, by mutual consent, it was also determined that the following were also "on-topic":
  • Cats (on a superficial/anecdotal level)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

shitface posted:

I’d say smoke and mirrors generally means fake/misleasding. “Elon musk claims to be an engineer but it’s all smoke and mirrors”

yeah. and that baffles nobody. either they get it or they dont.

Agile Vector posted:

I feel that "baffling" used to be more weighty in older use and is less so now(?) like how someone would use 'an awesome power' in old literature, but this is all my personal impression of how the usage has changed

I do like the term 'baffling them with bullshit' and will begin rotating it in again for work bs

thats how i understood it, but i guess you can get baffled without baffling yourself i think?

thx both yall for the linguistics

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

e: i just put your quotes in there, not sure

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Malloc Voidstar posted:

In its original charter the following examples of "on-topic" areas were listed:
  • Chain letters
  • DoS attacks
  • Email address list
  • Email bomb
  • Email viruses
  • Filtering software
  • Large-scale mailings
  • Listserv bombs
  • Mailing list abuse
  • Pyramid schemes
  • Unsolicited email
Eventually, by mutual consent, it was also determined that the following were also "on-topic":
  • Cats (on a superficial/anecdotal level)

There's a Wikipedia page about YOSPOS?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Significance [edit]
The play, which took place a few months after Bush left office,[8] was meant as a final farewell not only to the former president himself, but also to Ferrell's impression of the former president.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Up to ten achievements may be awarded for players experimenting with different ways for a balding man to defecate, providing incentive for outcomes other than the main objective.[3]

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

as an all year crocs wearer i declare war on Slowjamastan

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracies_in_ancient_Egypt this page is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

This article is about the species Toad. For the character, see Toad. For the amphibious creatures, see Frog. For other uses of "Toad", see Toad (disambiguation).