Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Heading to see it today. It's only screening in the tiniest goddamn screen buried in the rear end end of the cinema complex near me but that's better than nothing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
Saw it this morning and absolutely loved it.

I want to say I like Shin better, but in my heart of hearts I know that I just don't want to admit that its been dethroned.

This was my first time seeing a Toho Godzilla movie in theaters and drat if I didn't get tingles every time the theme played. I was pleasantly surprised that the theater was packed during a matinee showing. More surprised that everyone stayed quiet during the silent scene towards the end.

I loved the "monster" aspect of Godzilla being emphasized. It makes him a different kind of scary from the "force of nature" characterization. Definitely loved the human plot; easily the best of the franchise. I can't believe a Godzilla movie made me cry. I really need to find time to see it again.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I really enjoyed the movie but…what does the title mean? Even after seeing it I’m not quite sure what it means.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I really enjoyed the movie but…what does the title mean? Even after seeing it I’m not quite sure what it means.

After the war Japan had lost everything, they were at zero. And then Godzilla attacked and knocked them down even further.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

also it's a sort of a chronological step back from the original

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
I really enjoyed Minus One, the attention to detail was cool as poo poo. I was on the edge of my seat for the first encounter with scaled down Godzilla, going full jurassic park. Awesome

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 3, 2023

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Superb film. Wouldn’t quite put it above Shin Godzilla but it’s in the same league and getting two brilliant reframings of the original story in under a decade is some kinda miracle.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Just got back from watching this.

HELL YEAH

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Legitimately in the discussion for the best Godzilla film ever made.

Like goddamn that owned, and there's so many things about it that makes it not just a good Kaiju movie but just a Very Good Movie in general it'd take all night to go over

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Shock and awe, baby. Gonna need a while to digest it, but I can safely say it was loving intense.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Heavy Metal posted:

Give all the awards to Gokai Blue on the boat crew, that guy rules.

Now here's hoping the next one has this bad boy fighting some monster from outer space.

They did call him out as being territorial, if something else showed up to attack his city, he'd be there in a flash to tear it a new one.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Extreme spoilers:
I was not expecting a Godzilla film to finally have a “Just this once, everybody lives!” moment but it hit me like a truck when it happened.

It took two twists to get a happy ending that left me in tears, but by drat it worked.

Outstanding film, see it as large as you can. Great characters, great story, great Godzilla.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
A few thoughts:

- Easily one of the best heat rays of any Big G. Holy poo poo it is a spectacle. See this on the big screen please I'm begging

- I actually quite liked Noriko living. I can see why some think it would have undercut the trauma a bit, but I see it as more of an optimistic ending in the sense that if he had gone through with his original plan, he would not have known what he lost. I thought it played very well into the conflict within himself about what being a kamikaze pilot really meant and how that extends to the greater strokes of history itself. It's kind of funny seeing pre-release tweets criticizing the character breakdown because the ending and film in general makes it very clear that the film's opinion is that blindly following nationalistic honor destroyed more than it ever helped.

- I loved the way Big G moved. The stilted, classic Godzilla shuffle walk from afar being nature at a glance just mindlessly doing it's thing, but when pissed off, it's absolutely brutal and terribly quick.

- The acting was phenomenal, and what personally set it apart from Shin for me. But they are also very different movies with very different intent, so I think it'll come down to which themes you prefer. But this is a very, very well done war movie where Godzilla just happens to be there. The character building and inner conflict here is way better than it had any right to be for a Godzilla movie. It's just a well-acted and written film in general.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Gripweed posted:

That's not a historical inaccuracy because the premise of the movie is what if a giant monster attacked in 1947

Ok so what does your stupid poo poo have to do in this other history?

Fix it in the Blu-ray ?! My good lord

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I liked that Godzilla is just a giant creature that hosed around on Japans islands before getting mutated by the Bikini Atoll bomb and that the people on Odo Island, and afterwards the government, knew it was around but there is a war to fight first

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
One interesting note, despite it being said in the subtitles, I don't think the Japanese characters say the word "kamikaze." Is that a term that originates entirely with the Allies? Like it is a Japanese word (or two- "kami" is spirit/god/etc., "kaze" is wind) but I don't think they use it to describe what the pilot was at any point.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Non Compos Mentis posted:

I liked that Godzilla is just a giant creature that hosed around on Japans islands before getting mutated by the Bikini Atoll bomb and that the people on Odo Island, and afterwards the government, knew it was around but there is a war to fight first

A giant creature that didn't start any trouble until people started flashing bright lights in his face, then shooting at him. And later nuking him which seems to have forced physical changes on him, then chasing him around with warships for weeks. History shows again and again how nature points up the folly of man.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Maxwell Lord posted:

One interesting note, despite it being said in the subtitles, I don't think the Japanese characters say the word "kamikaze." Is that a term that originates entirely with the Allies? Like it is a Japanese word (or two- "kami" is spirit/god/etc., "kaze" is wind) but I don't think they use it to describe what the pilot was at any point.

According to Wikipedia:

quote:

The Japanese word kamikaze is usually translated as "divine wind" (kami is the word for "god", "spirit", or "divinity", and kaze for "wind").
[...]
In Japanese, the formal term used for units carrying out suicide attacks during 1944–1945 is tokubetsu kōgekitai (特別攻撃隊), which literally means "special attack unit". This is usually abbreviated to tokkōtai (特攻隊). More specifically, air suicide attack units from the Imperial Japanese Navy were officially called shinpū tokubetsu kōgeki tai (神風特別攻撃隊, "divine wind special attack units"). Shinpū is the on-reading (on'yomi or Chinese-derived pronunciation) of the same characters as the kun-reading (kun'yomi or Japanese pronunciation) kamikaze in Japanese. During World War II, the pronunciation kamikaze was used only informally in the Japanese press in relation to suicide attacks, but after the war, this usage gained acceptance worldwide and was re-imported into Japan.
So it was originally a Japanese word but they danced around it during the war

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

According to Wikipedia:

So it was originally a Japanese word but they danced around it during the war

Good bit of research by the filmmakers then! That's not something everyone would have caught. And it ties into the whole "Government making you do bullshit" theme, they can't even be upfront about what they're making you do.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Minus One was the best godzilla movie I've seen by a wide margin, and blows the stupid American movies out of the water. Do see it in imax.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Name Change posted:

Minus One was the best godzilla movie I've seen by a wide margin, and blows the stupid American movies out of the water. Do see it in imax.

still very confused as to why the nearest imax is in the 9th biggest city in my state, 45 minutes away, instead of the third biggest, 20 minutes away. but they only ran imax on Thursday anyway. do wish, though

also, while I'm with you on the American ones being stupid--a wide margin? drat. i loved it a lot, but i definitely can't put it on the level of the original

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I'm just about to go see it, but one thing I haven't seen mentioned a lot is that GM-1 was produced with a budget of loving 15 Million DOLLARS

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Binary Badger posted:

I'm just about to go see it, but one thing I haven't seen mentioned a lot is that GM-1 was produced with a budget of loving 15 Million DOLLARS

That is extremely loving wild.

And you see every penny of that onscreen.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

The secret is to pay people as little as possible to do as much work as possible.

Can't wait to see this today regardless.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Saw the movie last night and loved it. I really hope for the next Toho Godzilla he gets to fight something. Shin and this were absolute bangers, but I don’t really want a third movie in a row about humanity trying to desperately stop Godzilla.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Maxwell Lord posted:

This stuck out to me as well. Interesting background

Also I loved the movie, including all the sappy stuff including Noriko being alive

The main boat captain was my favorite character, that actor rocked. The whole Jaws sequence was really good

Anyone going to see it in theaters I would look at times that Beyonce's movie is playing; the first half of the movie had a thumping bassline soundtrack... thankfully it was done by the halfway point.

The Ghoul
Dec 8, 2011

I got a cobra for a cock and some wrought iron balls
Incredible movie. I love the focus shift to smaller ships and survivors instead of government agencies. The fight scenes kicked rear end even with a limited amount of gunfire. I liked the story a lot, too, even if it relied on a lot of cliches. This movie kicks rear end and has some very good messages such as family is what you make it and Imperial Japan sucked, actually, you shouldn't feel guilty for not dying for it, that's good, idiot.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

bows1 posted:

The main boat captain was my favorite character, that actor rocked. The whole Jaws sequence was really good

The boat captain was great. An outstanding actor in a very well written role. The whole boat crew dynamic was excellent, a bunch of guys put together by circumstance forming a found family and doing a dangerous but necessary job together.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

OB_Juan posted:

A giant creature that didn't start any trouble until people started flashing bright lights in his face, then shooting at him. And later nuking him which seems to have forced physical changes on him, then chasing him around with warships for weeks. History shows again and again how nature points up the folly of man.

sick guitar solo

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I have to say the only thing in the subtitles that annoyed the poo poo out of me is that they kept calling the airplanes "jets".

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Goddamn I think I liked this more than Shin.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
This was good stuff, and very anime. I don’t mean in a derogatory way, but the melodrama and character types had more in common to me with anime than other live action films. Though I do like how it draws from Jurassic park, jaws, Dunkirk, and other films for various scenes with Godzilla.

I think I still find the ethical conflict of the oxygen destroyer in Godzilla 54 more interesting, but the framing of a country and people trying to move on from the tragedy/guilt of the war worked really well also.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Phenomenal movie and easily one of the best entries in the series. Only complaint is the second half dragged a tiny bit and the ejection seat was foreshadowed a little much imo

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV1OOlGwExM

A trailer for the upcoming American film. Completely different vibes, to be sure. Looks like what summer blockbusters are supposed to! Also Kong wearing that gauntlet just makes me think of Metal Gear Solid V. Punished Kong.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jimbot posted:

A trailer for the upcoming American film. Completely different vibes, to be sure. Looks like what summer blockbusters are supposed to! Also Kong wearing that gauntlet just makes me think of Metal Gear Solid V. Punished Kong.

Minus One was my Godzilla Film. This is my Godzilla hell yeah let's go all in on stupid poo poo garbage.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Saw it earlier today and it was very good.

- Main Plot My suspension of disbelief took a pretty huge hit when the ex-Destroyer Captain was said during the plans committee "The US/Japanese government cannot help because it would escalate the Cold War." This was after you just saw a 50 m giant creature nuke an entire city and walk away. I know this is a "small" film focused on just a few characters but Big G is existential threat to more than just Japan, hell, Godzilla is a nuclear superpower stronger than the US or USSR. That said, private citizens taking over and coming up with a haphazard plan, with nods to the original O2 Destroyer, and then the Kid coming to the rescue with tugs was very well executed. It made you wonder if it could work (decompression is no joke) and was feasible versus the ersatz nuclear bomb Serizawa had created in '54. That no one died...that was quite the swerve.

- Big G The first attack was pretty brutal. The fact that the locals knew what it was and named it was kind of a "huh?" moment but apparently Godzilla was just a curiosity they knew to leave alone. At that size, I wonder if the 20mm guns would have done something or probably not. The quick shot of Bikini Atoll burning Godzilla's skin gave enough of a setup to explain the growth and pissed off nature. He was pretty stilted on land, distractingly so, but whenever he was in the water, attacking the cruiser, and all that, he was amazing. The atomic breath scene, you know the one, was chilling. Also, after Plan B failed and he was charging up again, the white splotches of decompression, the glow, seething with anger and pain...that was an absolute demon of a take on the creature. Shin was always in agony but this Godzilla hated everyone on those boats.

- Ending I also noticed the German print on the plane's seat and thought it curious. It wasn't until the "Oh, and one more thing..." that I figured out the ejector seat. That, and the speech prior specifically mentioned it. The telegram was also an immediate "She's alive". There's nothing wrong with a happy ending, as that seemed to be the driving thrust of the survivor's guilt and "my war isn't over" motif. It was time to move on and live again, as a country and culture. I didn't think it was too sappy but it was a little out of left field. The black ooze on her neck and the regenerating core of Godzilla obviously means it wasn't a total victory but if that's ever explored in a sequel, I'd welcome it.

Easily a top 3 G-film and just as a movie itself, I'd give it a 8.5/10. I like the direction they went with it and would love to see another in the same vein.

Edit: GxK trailer - and then you go this direction with it. You have two CG creatures, completely dwarfed by their surroundings, lacking any gravitas whatsoever. And now the big bad is a rogue Kong? This feels like Jurassic World.

FooF fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 3, 2023

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Jimbot posted:

godzilla running at the end looked kinda weird to me. otherwise I'm down.

might go see minus one today it sounds awesome

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
What's with Godzilla's pink energy? Is he on the verge of a meltdown like at the end of Godzilla vs Destoroyah?

Surprised they resisted the urge to also have a baby Godzilla running around to pal around with baby Kong.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Rhonne posted:

What's with Godzilla's pink energy? Is he on the verge of a meltdown like at the end of Godzilla vs Destoroyah?

Surprised they resisted the urge to also have a baby Godzilla running around to pal around with baby Kong.

It almost reminds me more of Godzilla 2000. I think we're about at the age where people who saw that design, either in cinemas or through the Pipeworks games, remember it and went "that's rad though, let's do it again."

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

GvK had its moments but personally I hated the hollow earth stuff, and it looks like they’re all-in on that now

e: Planet of the Hollow Earth Giant Apes, with special guest star, Pink Energy Godzilla

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Rhonne posted:

It's Valentine's Godzilla :swoon: