Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Vinylshadow posted:

It's [spoiler] without the S at the end

You can also highlight the text and press CTRL + P to get the tags added around it

CTRL + S is strikethrough

loving iOS decided to be helpful 😞

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Since ios17, autocorrect has been a nightmare.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Vinylshadow posted:

It's [spoiler] without the S at the end

You can also highlight the text and press CTRL + P to get the tags added around it

CTRL + S is strikethrough

I did not know there was a shortcut for spoilers. This is gonna save me some time, thank you.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Creature posted:

loving iOS decided to be helpful 😞

The_Doctor posted:

In silver?

Where's that phase of the Cyber-conversion history, I wonder...

Guessing it'd be at the point where the brain finally degrades and gets replaced?

"NO I DO NOT WANT TO UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10. WHAT DO YOU MEAN THE COMPUTER WILL NOW INSTALL UPDATES AND SHUT DO-"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

The_Doctor posted:

Not just ios, the Android autocorrect keeps on changing real words into misspelled ones for me

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

From the other thread, re: Wild Blue Yonder

Opens with a comedy Isaac Newton bit, and shapeshifters. I mean, grain of salt but yeah.

*cough*

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Man, assuming the leaks are most likely correct now, I really hate the idea of the first (series lead anyway) black Doctor a) having to exist while Tennant 2.0 also still exists and b) not getting 14’s Tardis but instead having to use his Toymaker victory wish to create his own Tardis. It feels really cowardly to not just have Gatwa be the only current Doctor and to instead have Tennant stick around for other adventures at the same time. You’re forcing Gatwa to start what should be his era as The Doctor while under the shadow of an older very popular Doctor. Not to mention all the right wing culture warrior horseshit practically writes itself and will be inescapable, “he’s not the REAL doctor!” “it’s not the REAL Tardis!” etc.

That loving sucks. Just make 14 regenerate into 15 and bring Tennant back the traditional way whenever you want MultiDoc shenanigans.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Man, assuming the leaks are most likely correct now, I really hate the idea of the first (series lead anyway) black Doctor a) having to exist while Tennant 2.0 also still exists and b) not getting 14’s Tardis but instead having to use his Toymaker victory wish to create his own Tardis. It feels really cowardly to not just have Gatwa be the only current Doctor and to instead have Tennant stick around for other adventures at the same time. You’re forcing Gatwa to start what should be his era as The Doctor while under the shadow of an older very popular Doctor. Not to mention all the right wing culture warrior horseshit practically writes itself and will be inescapable, “he’s not the REAL doctor!” “it’s not the REAL Tardis!” etc.

That loving sucks. Just make 14 regenerate into 15 and bring Tennant back the traditional way whenever you want MultiDoc shenanigans.

I did read per RTD he had Tennant regenerate with a costume because he didn't want Tennant to be seen wearing womens' clothes and appear laughable (which is weird to say in general with the overall LGBT lean but especially since Whitaker's costume wasn't particularly feminine to begin with??) so I wouldn't be entirely surprised if having Gatwa materialise in his own body instead of overwriting Tennant is due to some similarly weird "it'd look like Tennant in blackface for two frames" neurosis.

But to be entirely fair, we haven't seen it and the execution might be better than it reads. Because loving surely to gently caress, right?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Tennant would have 100% rocked Jodies costume for a few minute until he gets the ol sandshoes getup back together.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Szmitten posted:

I did read per RTD he had Tennant regenerate with a costume because he didn't want Tennant to be seen wearing womens' clothes and appear laughable (which is weird to say in general with the overall LGBT lean but especially since Whitaker's costume wasn't particularly feminine to begin with??) so I wouldn't be entirely surprised if having Gatwa materialise in his own body instead of overwriting Tennant is due to some similarly weird "it'd look like Tennant in blackface for two frames" neurosis.

But to be entirely fair, we haven't seen it and the execution might be better than it reads. Because loving surely to gently caress, right?

Smith to Capaldi consisted of a violent sneeze and instant regeneration, there’s definitely already previously-established ways to go from Tennant to Gatwa without having to worry about accidental blackface during the fx transition.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

I feel like the sources on the bi-regeneration thing are decent - the same guy on reddit who was very accurate on the Star Beast - but they surely have to resolve that by the end. You can only have one doctor, and Russell knows that's not going to fly.

How much of this is fans just panicking each other into thinking Disney is going to turn the show into a vast franchise on a level with Marvel? I know Rusty has made pleased noises about how that'd be a wonderful thing to do, but are fans hearing that as 'Yes, we already are going to be doing that, but twice as much as you even suspected'

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Potential for another 10.5 situation? They brought up the destroyed half of the universe from Flux, what if it could be brought back but putting the two halves back together would be too destructive so they are kept seperate and each gets one doctor?

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Wolfechu posted:

I feel like the sources on the bi-regeneration thing are decent - the same guy on reddit who was very accurate on the Star Beast - but they surely have to resolve that by the end. You can only have one doctor, and Russell knows that's not going to fly.

How much of this is fans just panicking each other into thinking Disney is going to turn the show into a vast franchise on a level with Marvel? I know Rusty has made pleased noises about how that'd be a wonderful thing to do, but are fans hearing that as 'Yes, we already are going to be doing that, but twice as much as you even suspected'

Disney doesn't really have a say into turning the show into anything--they're putting money into the show that exists. The rest of it is a Bad Wolf production call (and then it falls down to Disney if they want to put money in those shows too).
As for vast franchising: RTD already did it! There were three Doctor Who shows happening, without counting the ancillary stuff like Confidential or Totally Doctor Who!

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Yannick_B posted:

Disney doesn't really have a say into turning the show into anything--they're putting money into the show that exists. The rest of it is a Bad Wolf production call (and then it falls down to Disney if they want to put money in those shows too).
As for vast franchising: RTD already did it! There were three Doctor Who shows happening, without counting the ancillary stuff like Confidential or Totally Doctor Who!

Oh, I know. But you hear these guys elsewhere, obviously Disney is going to interfere with every aspect of the show from the ground up. Probably got hysterical just before the TV Movie too, though with a little more justification there.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Smith to Capaldi consisted of a violent sneeze and instant regeneration, there’s definitely already previously-established ways to go from Tennant to Gatwa without having to worry about accidental blackface during the fx transition.

Absolutely. But RTD does strange poo poo.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The way I can see that potentially being saved is if at some point in The Giggle the TARDIS is destroyed by the Toymaker - so Gatwa's prize TARDIS is the only one a Doctor owns. If you're the Doctor without the TARDIS you are less of a Doctor than the one who's got the TARDIS. This also jibes with the rumour about Fourteennant sticking around on Earth rather than travelling by the end - still scope for a spin-off, but it'd probably be a spinoff where he's doing the Pertwee-era scientific consultant to UNIT thing (without the side hustle of trying to fix the TARDIS) rather than doing the travel in space and time stuff.

Still, as you point out, not great for Gatwa. And not really great for anyone who comes along later. It's kind of bad enough that the Doctors have always had the threat of just being shitcanned by a quick regeneration if the ratings wobble under their tenure, but now there's the option to bring a more popular Doctor back at any time it's going to be worse.

Again, could be helped if the capacity to regenerate is inherited by Gatwa but Fourteennant loses it (if we are arbitrarily saying biregeneration is a thing, we can arbitrarily say that only one partner in the biregeneration retains the ability to regenerate). But even so, you can dial back the "not the real Doctor" thing but you can't eliminate it, so why even open the door to it at all?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I do wonder if RTD told the beeb that he will keep Tennant around in case it all goes south and they need to restart again, knowing that he will never actually go back unless its a special.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Speculation rather than spoilers, but it is tied into things we've been told about future episodes so I'll put it here.

- WBY has the Doctor do that thing with the salt, and then at the end of the episode talk about how he feels it was a mistake to rely on a superstition at the edge of the universe where reality and imagination bleed into each other somewhat.

- It seems likely, given the foreshadowing emphasis on that scene, that this is what attracts the Toymaker's attention.

- We know that actual goblins show up in Church On Ruby Road, that spoiler is confirmed, the Beeb's shown us pictures.

- What if part of the whole deal with what the Doctor's done in WBY ends up more generally opening the gates between realms of imagination and reality and the early 15th Doctor arc is going to be about putting renegade creatures of fantasy back in the box?

- What if this culminates in a big showdown in the Land of Fiction?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
We must not look at goblin men
We must not buy their fruits
Who knows upon what soil they fed
Their hungry thirsty roots

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
There’s some further leaks apparently from the same person who correctly called a bunch of stuff so far, specifically about the “bi-regeneration”.

Supposedly, Fifteen was supposed to continue on as the singular Doctor after Fourteen’s natural end at some undefined point in the future. However, via the Toymaker’s meddling, Fifteen is brought back in time at the moment of his regeneration via a forced triggering of Fourteen’s regeneration energy. So the Doctor doesn’t really split in two, his timeline just folds back a bit so that Fourteen and Fifteen exist at the same time for a while as a closed time loop.

RTD also considers the 2023 specials the “finale for nu-Who”, and Fifteen will introduce a soft reboot of the show, with S1/S14 starting after he’s been alive for a while already.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

We must not look at goblin men
We must not buy their fruits
Who knows upon what soil they fed
Their hungry thirsty roots

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

HD DAD posted:

There’s some further leaks apparently from the same person who correctly called a bunch of stuff so far, specifically about the “bi-regeneration”.

Supposedly, Fifteen was supposed to continue on as the singular Doctor after Fourteen’s natural end at some undefined point in the future. However, via the Toymaker’s meddling, Fifteen is brought back in time at the moment of his regeneration via a forced triggering of Fourteen’s regeneration energy. So the Doctor doesn’t really split in two, his timeline just folds back a bit so that Fourteen and Fifteen exist at the same time for a while as a closed time loop.

Ok, this sounds a little better, and I'm hoping this is only being done to keep the door open for Big Finish 14th Doctor Adventures.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

HD DAD posted:

RTD also considers the 2023 specials the “finale for nu-Who”, and Fifteen will introduce a soft reboot of the show, with S1/S14 starting after he’s been alive for a while already.

OK, this sounds cool. I also think "finale for nu-Who" is a nice way of putting it, though uh, we kinda did a soft reboot a bunch of times already...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So this is New New Who? WhoTNG?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

They just need to leave enough of a gap somewhere that there's other adventures 14 can have had, so Tennant can come back with Smith, Capaldi, and Whittaker in five years for the 65th anniversary episode at the end of Gatwas run.

When it will be very nearly 20 years since Smith was announced as 11, Jesus Christ time flies

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Who 3.0

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Doctor Who: Strange New Worlds

Maybe RTD can finally do that Trek crossover he wanted.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The Even Welsher Series

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

It's the Whoniverse era.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

HD DAD posted:

Doctor Who: Strange New Worlds

Maybe RTD can finally do that Trek crossover he wanted.

I know it's not SNW, but I can hear Boimler in my head going "You're the Doctor? Like the EMH?"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

HD DAD posted:

This sounds better on paper, but it’s functionally still the same thing. You’re still starting a new Doctor’s run with a popular Doctor waiting in the wings as backup if the ratings dip.

That sucks.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This sounds better on paper, but it’s functionally still the same thing. You’re still starting a new Doctor’s run with a popular Doctor waiting in the wings as backup if the ratings dip.

That sucks.

I think this would be true regardless of whether a contrivance is created now or later. There's nothing stopping whoever from just regenerating the Doctor into David Tennant again, or bringing him or whomever else back via some contrivance or other.

There's probably no use worrying about it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Neo New Who

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Reiwa Era Doctor Who

(Technically most of Jodie's tenure was in the Reiwa Era but it started in very very late Heisei)

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Classical Who: 1963-1989
Dark Who: 1989-2005
Middle Who: 2005-2023
Modern Who: 2023-?

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Badwolfdisneybbcverse tm

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Across the RDT2-Verse

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That sucks.

Functionally speaking, this is true of every actor who has played the Doctor and is still alive. This is a show where the entirety of time and space is in the backdrop: every Doctor is "alive and out there" somewhere. The only reasons to call attention to 14's situation in this way is to either 1) keep 14 open to yet-unwritten adventures (because it would suck to blow an entire regeneration on 3 adventures), or 2) to mollify bigots at the behest of either Disney or the bigots themselves. Whatever you may think of RTD I think one of those is distinctly more likely than the other.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That sucks.

If 15 bombs then we're likely back into the wilderness years rather than trying to bring Tennant back once again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I know David Tennant loves Doctor Who, but he does have a whole lot of other projects and he probably doesn't want to do it forever. I doubt the reason behind the plot point is so that they can have a spare David Tennant around, particularly since they left one in a parallel universe that they can just open the doors for whenever they want. I would guess that it's Davies's attempt to try to address some of the "Just stay behind and have a meal for once" stuff that comes up once in awhile, while also sort of saying "Okay, we're moving on, but both versions of Doctor Who, starring David Tennant are always around if you want to revisit them."

I am sure that we will all know when he beats us over the head with his intended message.