Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Beve Stuscemi posted:

synology on the other hand has been very straightforward and requires next to no janitoring. I’m happy so far.
Say what you want about the drive shenanigans, at least the Syno stuff works as intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You can get pre-flashed HBAs I wouldn't let that stop you.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Dr. Poz posted:

Reading Windows 98s saga with having to get an HBA card reflashed was cautionary though and while that's still the route I want to go ultimately, it may not be just yet.

You can find a million HBA cards on eBay that have already been flashed to IT mode so I wouldn't worry about this.

efb

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

evil_bunnY posted:

Must feel good not dropping beaucoup dollars on optanes

Those are still $2600 per drive, but yeah - but the alternative was spinning disks and lower performance, not optane.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 28, 2023

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I don't really see why anyone would use Unraid if you have even a modest level of technical acumen. TrueNAS is free, doesn't have any of that license bullshit, has a better file system, and if you really want to run containers on the same device you're using as a NAS you can use its built-in container engine (with scale) or spin up a vm (both core and scale) and use any server OS you want.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I don't really see why anyone would use Unraid if you have even a modest level of technical acumen. TrueNAS is free, doesn't have any of that license bullshit, has a better file system, and if you really want to run containers on the same device you're using as a NAS you can use its built-in container engine (with scale) or spin up a vm (both core and scale) and use any server OS you want.

The main answer I think is still being able to throw any size drive into the array at any time and be able to add all of it to your storage pool. When you're cobbling together a server from parts you have laying around that is a pretty enticing selling point.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Nitrousoxide posted:

Speaking of Scale, I'm going to need to learn how to use this Helm Charts thing or whatever to get a LANCache container going.

e: I want LANCache because my gf and I both play a lot of the same games together and we have our own PCs, Steam Decks, and Nintendo Switches, so being able to cache the downloads would actually speed things up for us.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I think there’s already a chart for this in TrueNAS’ own chart repo.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Unraid has a lot of things that sound appealing, like the aforementioned ability to use a cobbled together collection of different size disks, and also the model of spinning up only one disk at a time for reads. I think SnapRAID scares people away with its very unix-philosophy minimalism, though.

Has the dust settled and TrueNAS Scale is the clear future of the platform?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Nitrousoxide posted:

I had a bunch of different drives when I started out, chose unraid because of it. I have two identical unraid boxes I use purely for backups. I've liked the ease of upgrading drives in a piecemeal manner. It's not perfect but it's good for certain scenarios, imo.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

if you have even a modest level of technical acumen.
I looked at TrueNAS and went with Unraid. While it is partly because I have mismatched disks, it also absolutely felt like my neckbeard wasn't thick enough to hold the chops I'd need to get TrueNAS working. Everything I saw made it seem like the community was less friendly and supportive, and it being split between Scale and Core meant finding relevant information was already doubled in difficulty, on top of having to choose the mature option that people are leaving or the immature option and deal with issues.

I've already poured what feels like endless hours building the server out with dockers, and I know I would be way further behind if I went TrueNAS. Maybe that means my technical acumen is below modest in your opinion, but I'm a tired adult with responsibilities, and it has been twenty years since smashing my brain against something to feel more 1337 was my idea of fun.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Eletriarnation posted:

Not saying you're wrong, it's entirely possible that the failure rate is higher on renewed drives - but I think the fact that you (and many people) don't trust them could by itself explain the price being "suspiciously good". The companies selling these drives have to price them at a level that will sell, and so much of the potential market won't really consider anything but new drives.

Also consider that the buyer-protection aspects of marketplaces like Amazon and eBay work out in your favor if you get a DOA drive, and the fact that the price difference is more than enough to buy a spare (or two!) to keep on hand if you want.

I'm a big believer in buying dirt-cheap used drives, though. Used 10TB drives (SAS or SATA) average around $70 right now on eBay with basically a no-DOA warranty, the best price ever seen on shucks.top for a 10TB Elements with a two-year warranty was $150 and that hasn't happened in three+ years. There's also goharddrive on eBay / Newegg that throws their own five year warranty on top of their drives for about :10bux: more than the cheapest drives, and I have successfully gotten refunds from them on drives that died a year+ after the original purchase.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Combat Pretzel posted:

I think there’s already a chart for this in TrueNAS’ own chart repo.

I did not see it, but my mom has always told me that if it’d been a snake, it’d have bit me.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
You’re also buying a drive of questionable origin, often with all the smart info wiped so you can’t even see the previous use or hours, and in the cases that it isn’t, its usually like a beat to poo poo drive with 5 years of powered on time already.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Flipperwaldt posted:

What model are you using? I basically want to update my knowledge on whether the current day arm powered ones are worth buying. They weren't in the past imo.

I'm using a DS718+, downgraded from a four bay model I don't remember specifically, just because I didn't need all the space and the processor/etc was worse on that fourbay. It's a celeron model and not one of the ARM ones so that helps a little bit, I've had no issues with performance on it, and even ran a few minor services from it, although not much.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

You make good points. I'll just shell out for new drives, I'm fortunate that I can afford it. No reason to cheap out when the whole drat reason I'm doing this is I'm sick of my storage drives failing (this is the second time in ~10 years which isn't a ton, but it's still annoying).

You're right about capacity too. I think I'll read a bit more about Synology and maybe get a 4 bay so I can get a lot of storage.

For home use, would y'all recommend RAID 1? RAID 5? No RAID at all? Might impact how many drive bays I get.

Just use the Synology Hybrid Raid if you're on Synology, you can dig into the details but it's perfectly fine. Also honestly you probably don't need a four bay model most likely if you're just getting started, since individual disks are pretty huge these days, but it depends on your space requirements.

Eletriarnation posted:

Not saying you're wrong, it's entirely possible that the failure rate is higher on renewed drives - but I think the fact that you (and many people) don't trust them could by itself explain the price being "suspiciously good". The companies selling these drives have to price them at a level that will sell, and so much of the potential market won't really consider anything but new drives.

I think you've got a good point, ultimately a lot of it is all risk analysis, but we don't really know what the failure rate/etc are. I would definitely trust drives if I had more bays though, having one of four drives fail is a lot safer than having one of two, although the two additional drives also mean you'll have more failures over time.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 28, 2023

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

Unraid has a lot of things that sound appealing, like the aforementioned ability to use a cobbled together collection of different size disks, and also the model of spinning up only one disk at a time for reads. I think SnapRAID scares people away with its very unix-philosophy minimalism, though.
These are both reasons I went with Unraid, as well as the plethora of guides on setting up things. We have among the highest retail electricity rates in the country where i live so power efficiency was important to me, and spinning down most drives most of the time is a great feature for that. Future expansion flexibility is similarly a big plus.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Nitrousoxide posted:

The marginal gains aren't worth it for the average home user. It's actually really simple to understand!

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Falcon2001 posted:

Just use the Synology Hybrid Raid if you're on Synology, you can dig into the details but it's perfectly fine. Also honestly you probably don't need a four bay model most likely if you're just getting started, since individual disks are pretty huge these days, but it depends on your space requirements.

Now I'm going down the rabbit hole and thinking about maybe building my own box with Unraid, though a turnkey solution like Synology that requires a bare minimum of effort does have a strong appeal. I don't want to spend tons of time being a sysadmin at home. (Thanks a lot for nerd sniping me, thread.)

I've decided I want more than 2 disks, probably aiming for ~30TB of usable space after accounting for the amount taken by redundancy. Would be nice if the NAS itself could download from the Internet, I assume they all can. Would this generally be managed via ssh / CLI, or are people remoting into these things with a full GUI?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

The greater ZFS community also has a culture of scolding people for trying to use old, cheap, or cobbled together setups. Recommending that everyone use ECC, recommending raid Z2 at a minimum over Z1, really out-of-date RAM per TB guidance based on lots of small file I/O that doesn't match home workloads at all. Unraid welcomes all, no matter how old, cheap, small, or just plain stupid their computer is.

Those things are ideal, but also there's so many other fuckups that cause data loss that are in my opinion more of a risk than those two issues.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Twerk from Home posted:

The greater ZFS community also has a culture of scolding people for trying to use old, cheap, or cobbled together setups. Recommending that everyone use ECC, recommending raid Z2 at a minimum over Z1, really out-of-date RAM per TB guidance based on lots of small file I/O that doesn't match home workloads at all. Unraid welcomes all, no matter how old, cheap, small, or just plain stupid their computer is.

Those things are ideal, but also there's so many other fuckups that cause data loss that are in my opinion more of a risk than those two issues.

Which is a real shame, because "a pile of old junk" works rather well with ZFS - provided you have enough drives of the same size. Or at least enough to split them into a few vdevs that are internally the same size.

e: Enough can be two. A mirror is a perfectly fine structure.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I enjoy running unraid at home, but I absolutely would not trust it alone with important data. If it's important you should have more copies of it in different places than just unraid. If my unraid completely poo poo the bed tomorrow nothing of value would be lost.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Falcon2001 posted:

I'm using a DS718+, downgraded from a four bay model I don't remember specifically, just because I didn't need all the space and the processor/etc was worse on that fourbay. It's a celeron model and not one of the ARM ones so that helps a little bit, I've had no issues with performance on it, and even ran a few minor services from it, although not much.
I desperately want the current day arm-based models to be decent now, instead of teetering on the adequate for even just serving files. Like, if someone with actual hands on experience with a 223j or 223 could confirm that the technology has moved on from 2015. I spent years thinking a share timing out and having to retry was a normal thing. Waiting minutes to generate a couple of hundred thumbnails for small jpegs. When I got my own plus line model, it was like night and day, it just did everything it said on the tin without complaining.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've been using Synology since 2014. I'm not as much of a storage expert as some people in this thread, but I've implemented and administered various storage solutions professionally and I'm perfectly happy with it. My only real issue ever was I didn't like how you couldn't export configs from some of their various built-in apps, which pushed me to use containers instead. Other than that they've been rock solid and require minimal janitoring.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My QNAP box is arm powered and it seems to do just fine. I have containers on it running the *arrs and sabnzbd 24/7 and it has no problem doing all of that while serving even the chunkiest of files all over the network.

I imagine if I wanted it to transcode poo poo for plex or something instead of accessing my Linux ISOs directly from various media devices it would be a different story, but I’m not doing that, so it’s ok.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

They won't like me much then. I'm replacing the E5-2670 v3 with 128GB ECC RAM in my truenas box with an i5-6600k with 32GB ram soon™. I don't need the horsepower (have other servers for that), but I could do without the power usage.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Internet Explorer posted:

I've been using Synology since 2014. I'm not as much of a storage expert as some people in this thread, but I've implemented and administered various storage solutions professionally and I'm perfectly happy with it. My only real issue ever was I didn't like how you couldn't export configs from some of their various built-in apps, which pushed me to use containers instead. Other than that they've been rock solid and require minimal janitoring.

I'd imagine it's because they want you to use their own turnkey backup software, to backup configs from their application suite:

...rather than faffing around exporting JSON config files or whatever. Thing is, from what I've gathered, although their Hyper Backup software will happily back up to ~the cloud~, there's absolutely no way of restoring from ~the cloud~ in a disaster recovery scenario other than downloading the entire backup ... which is why I'm now using Duplicati for my 'back up irreplaceable poo poo' tasks.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Bought these 14TB externals to shuck from Costco. They arrived today like this:

How hosed do you all think they are?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They’re fine. Drives that are jostled around when they’re powered off are really resilient.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yah retail boxes can take a whuppin too

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

PolishPandaBear posted:

Bought these 14TB externals to shuck from Costco. They arrived today like this:

How hosed do you all think they are?

Check out how they shipped my new receiver:

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

Check out how they shipped my new receiver:

Woah. What? That's ridiculous.

And thanks for the reassurance. I figured retail packages, especially for externals like that would be better then if it was just bare drives.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
You know, after seeing those pictures and of course, experiencing some pretty piss poor packing from Amazon and a few other places, I think the next time I place an order with JetPens, I'm gonna rave about their packing. It's just stationary, but they do a great job of packing.

A bit more on topic, I've ordered from WaterPanther a few times (silly name, but they're just rebadged WDC/ST drives) and the drives have all worked great and they ship them properly. I decided to give them a try because I tried shucking of externals, but found it both annoying and wasteful (that's a lot of plastic you're just tossing out).

NAS talk: I can't say I'm impressed with QNAP support. My NAS died after less than a year of service and they've closed 2 tickets when I've attempted to get it fixed. I don't think I'll be giving them any more of my money.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, I have mentioned serverpartdeals.com before - all of the drives they shipped me were individually sealed in antistatic bags, then stuck into polyethylene foam inserts which suspend the drives in place separately and fit perfectly into the shipping boxes. It's clearly a selling point of theirs, since their front page has a slide show containing an "Industry's Best Packaging" slide.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Eletriarnation posted:

Yeah, I have mentioned serverpartdeals.com before - all of the drives they shipped me were individually sealed in antistatic bags, then stuck into polyethylene foam inserts which suspend the drives in place separately and fit perfectly into the shipping boxes. It's clearly a selling point of theirs, since their front page has a slide show containing an "Industry's Best Packaging" slide.

That had me looking at their prices for more of the same drives I already have. Are Seagate manufacturer recertified drives actually reliable or just as much of a crapshoot as all other used drives? Because they are 33% cheaper than new: https://serverpartdeals.com/products/seagate-exos-x20-st20000nm007d-20tb-7-2k-rpm-sata-6gb-s-3-5-recertified-hard-drive

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
My only experience with them is buying the six 16TB Exos X18 drives I'm currently using for my NAS, but all of those are flawless at nine months and counting.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
I bought 5 10tb hgst recertified drives over about 10 months for raidz2. One had errors during a scrub and then had smart errors after a year and a half. The vendor nearly immediately refunded me the full price. I bought these on Amazon but contacted the vendor directly for the refund.

I like the risk reward comparison for recertified drives myself. The cost savings let me have a spare drive sitting by the server.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

My Synology 1515+ stopped working a few months ago, just flashing lights and not booting. Strong hypothesis was the atom C2000 bug, fix is to solder a resistor onto the main board, which I finally got round to doing the other week.

The board was OK to get out once I got the rear panel fully off, and soldering the resistor went fine. Also changed out the battery while I was in there but didn't mess with another "while you're in there" fix as it involves replacing a surface-mount component which is not something I have practice doing, and it didn't seem broken.

Put it all together and it booted up fine, got my shows back :)

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hello thread -- figured you might know if there's a go-to manufacturer for enclosures these days? I'm looking for just plain enclosures with 4+ bays for spinny drives and USB 3.x connection to my PC, which I guess makes it a DAS.

From what I can tell on Amazon, Yottamaster is the big one these days, followed by... well, nobody I've heard of: Terramaster, Mediasonic, Orico, etc. Admittedly, I haven't looked at this stuff in many moons.

The background is that I'm looking to upgrade from my (tower) PC to a laptop, but the tower is filled with ~20TB worth of HDDs that I'd like to keep using but in an much smaller overall footprint.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Do y'all do cloud backups for large amounts of data from your NAS? (Like, 30TB+)

I've been pricing options, even building my own thing by just buying raw storage on Google Cloud or whatever, and it's all pretty expensive (which isn't a surprise).

I'm guessing most NAS owners probably don't have an offsite backup and are thus vulnerable to their house burning down or whatever. Are there good, affordable options for very large amounts of data?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I backup any personal media I generated (photos, videos, etc) and all the config and system files for my self hosted services. Any… liberated… media I don’t since it could be redownloaded.