Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Spacebump posted:

Which Godzilla movies have better fights than Godzilla + Jet Jaguar vs Megalon + Gigan?

Not many, I gotta say.

You know, I DO appreciate the artistry and gravitas of the "serious" Godzilla movies, but the nice thing about Godzilla is that it has an enormously wide range of acceptable tone such that stuff like Minus One can coexist in a franchise with goofy poo poo like Vs Megalon and its pro westling tag team robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I don’t get why you’d do a one week release to start with, that’s no time for word of mouth to spread normally. Two weeks makes sense for a limited engagement at least.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

lol they did the same thing with Shin, which they also decided to extend its theatrical run due to its popularity. Have a little more self confidence Toho!

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

They took it out of all the imax screens around here though :mad:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Yeah, all the IMAX showings in my area end tomorrow, the original end date of the run. The extended dates look like they are traditional screens only.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

saw it a second time with a friend who hasn't seen any Godzilla movies. I was really curious as to what they'd think...they LOVED it. I appreciated it even more the second time too, it really all fits together very neatly and every second Godzilla is on screen is used to the absolute maximum. no Imax around me but seeing it on the Ultrascreen was still an incredible experience, this movie really puts the "god" in Godzilla. I wasn't sure of my rankings after the first viewing but this time I can definitively say for me it's: '54, Minus One and then Shin. Shin is great too but Minus One is really the whole package. what a time to be a G fan.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
My favorite shot was Godzilla looking upwards at the mushroom cloud he just created. I could be totally wrong, but it looked to me like the intended expression he's making there is "What have I been cursed to become? What the hell did they do to me, that I can create such horror?"

Godzilla's very often a troubled dude.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Spacebump posted:

Outside of OG Godzilla, Shin, and -1, what are the other good Japanese Godzilla movies?

Godzilla vs Biollante is my all time fave, sort of pre-shin vibes with the bureaucratization of Godzilla plus some very anime elements like ESP and cloning. I actually find the rest of the '90s Heisei series kind of shite, honestly, vs King Ghidorah is fun but the rest 1992-1995 are pretty mediocre. It's incredible how the '90s Gamera trilogy just wipes the floor with them with like 1/3 the budgets. Spacegodzilla is impressive for being especially lovely, if you want to see how bad the series can get.

As for the classic Showa run 1954-1975, you honestly can't go wrong imo, but I really like Ghidrah '64, Astro-Monster '65, Sea Monster '66, and Terror of Mechagodzilla '75.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

hallo spacedog posted:

Agreed!

On the topic of Hedorah I think it's hard not to think about it in terms of a reaction to like the Minamata disasters and some real crazy industrial pollution issues happening at the time so it always has been a favorite

It was definitely in the zeitgeist. Gamera vs Zigra makes some bland feints in the same direction but of course there's nothing in that movie at all. Plus there's Spectremen who works as a Pollution G-Man in his day job, and the villain Dr. Gori is an environmentalist who wants to destroy humans to save the earth.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

On second viewing, I’m not a fan of the scene when Godzilla looks directly into camera and says “Who’s the real monster?”

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Spacegodzilla is impressive for being especially lovely, if you want to see how bad the series can get.

Vs Space Godzilla is funny in that it asks the question, "what if we did the Radditz Arc of Dragonball Z, but with Godzilla?"

Turns out? It's pretty bad, actually!

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

I bought a big-rear end SpaceG sofubi in the summer because I love his design. I figured I should watch the movie and it’s pretty dumb. But I still think SpaceG looks awesome!!

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

Winnipeg goons it looks like the g-man is showing at Scotiabank theatre starting Friday.....IN IMAX

:getin:

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Der-Wreck posted:

I bought a big-rear end SpaceG sofubi in the summer because I love his design. I figured I should watch the movie and it’s pretty dumb. But I still think SpaceG looks awesome!!

:getin:

Space Godzilla's design is so good i can't hate the movie nearly as much as i should

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Schwarzwald posted:

Singular Point rules but I'm leery to recommend it to someone looking for things along the line of Shin, -1, and the OG.

It's a show about adults hyperfixating on theoretical physics and also Godzilla is there. Which rules, but folks should understand what they're getting into.

Yeah I sum up Singular Point as "The laws of physics as we understand them say it's impossible for a Godzilla to exist. So if a Godzilla does exist, what does that mean we don't understand about physics?"

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

Space Godzilla's design is so good i can't hate the movie nearly as much as i should

Same, it is one of my favorites

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Lol, vs Space Godzilla was actually the very first Godzilla I ever saw, because at age 7 I thought Space G looked rad as hell.

Also, being 7 is why I thought no more of the movie than "dudes in rubber suits no-selling ridiculous fights" and immediately wanted more Kaiju movies.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Singular point is really a jet jaguar show

I didn't realize people hated SpaceGodzilla so much, I didn't mind that one

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Annath posted:

dudes in rubber suits no-selling

Godzilla is the king of strong style.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Animal-Mother posted:

Godzilla is the king of strong style.

Godzilla vs. Shinsuke Nakamura, Match of the Millennium.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I still like Spacegodzilla fine. For its flaws it still has a unique look and feel, and it's one of the few post-Biollante films to do something with Miki Saegusa.

Honestly I think it's Godzilla vs Mothra that is the weakest of the Heisei films. It's not bad but it suffers the most from Okawara's problems with pacing, wastes a lot of time with cut-rate Indiana Jones stuff, and the environmental theme feels oddly blunted.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Our very own kwaste has thoughts & feels on Godzilla minus one, plus the recent Legendary series. It's really good, watch it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGQ8pnaPl0I

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Question for all you Shin lovers:

I finally watched it this week while getting hyped for seeing Minus One yesterday.

The whole movie, there were Japanese character subtitles introducing every character and their job position. Then there were the English subtitles for both that, and the dialog. So it was a mess of white-on-white subtitles filling the bottom 1/4 of the screen, and I didn't have a clue what was going on. Especially since 80% of the movie was boardroom meetings.

Surely I got a bad print or something? I thought Godzilla was nice and scary but otherwise it was the dullest one I've ever seen.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Most of that information is not super important, I think you can follow everything without knowing all the job titles or which board room the meeting is taking place in. Also, Shin Godzilla is a political comedy so if you didn't find the board room stuff entertaining it might just not be your cup of tea.

edit: If this is your first film with this type of subtitles then I would recommend paying attention to the ones at the bottom of the screen. The stuff at the top of the screen is usually supplemental information (location, titles, etc).

CRAYON fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 7, 2023

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Yeah, that to me is one of the big themes of the movie. Constantly bringing in new experts and political aides who say that something is impossible, and that they should worry about something else instead - and then the impossible thing happens and it's already too late again

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Also listing their long and overly specific job titles is kind of tongue in cheek, like if you were to see a job title like “Executive Assistant to the Senior Vice Secretary of the Cabinet of Internal Affairs” in English

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I'm reading the comments to the GxK trailer (as one does) and kind of sad to see jokes about woke Godzilla and Barbie Godzilla because of the pink coloration. pink is a cool color, no need for it be monopolized into signifying specific things. oh well. some people still live in the early 00's

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Yeah, one of the recurring gags is the main character’s title chyron getting progressively longer and more ridiculous every time he gets promoted

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Oh, I understand the humor/satire of the job titles, after reading some reviews. The version I watched literally had the English subtitles superimposed on the Kanji (katakana?) ones, making it an illegible mess. I'm guessing y'all watched a print with English up top and Japanese below?

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

"This meeting is adjourned so we can have a different meeting on a different floor with more or less the same people"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Big Mac posted:

"This meeting is adjourned so we can have a different meeting on a different floor with more or less the same people"

Hey, eventually that works. They have enough meetings to save the world.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Oh, I understand the humor/satire of the job titles, after reading some reviews. The version I watched literally had the English subtitles superimposed on the Kanji (katakana?) ones, making it an illegible mess. I'm guessing y'all watched a print with English up top and Japanese below?

How did you watch it? I think there was an updated physical release that resolved this, because it was a big issue early on, but I don't know if that print made it through all the streaming services.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Big Mac posted:

lol isn't there one where they legit just walk across the room to have a different meeting?

Missingnoleader
Mar 10, 2014

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Someone (Red Menace) made a version where the subtitle text (for people and vehicles) was just English but its the same sorta typeset as the original japanese one.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Maxwell Lord posted:

I still like Spacegodzilla fine. For its flaws it still has a unique look and feel, and it's one of the few post-Biollante films to do something with Miki Saegusa.

Honestly I think it's Godzilla vs Mothra that is the weakest of the Heisei films. It's not bad but it suffers the most from Okawara's problems with pacing, wastes a lot of time with cut-rate Indiana Jones stuff, and the environmental theme feels oddly blunted.

Good points, plus they totally waste Battra as a new character.

Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II has the 2nd worst single fx sequence in the Heisei films imo, the whole scene of Godzilla in the countryside where it looks like he's on a minigolf course. The very worst is of course the Spacegodzilla asteroids. I will say that the long composite shot of Godzilla coming ashore at the beginning of Spacegodzilla is genuinely beautiful, with the waves washing on the beach as he approaches.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah just about every Heisei film has at least one sequence where they pushed the FX team a little too hard with too little time.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah just about every Heisei film has at least one sequence where they pushed the FX team a little too hard with too little time.

I was watching them on the pluto channel the other day and I'd forgotten how there are some really nice little touches throughout. There's a really nice shot in Godzilla vs Mothra where Battra knocks a building over onto some fleeing extras, really playing with the foreground and background, and another in Mechagodzilla II when Godzilla's coming ashore and there are some burning ships behind him, showing his path of destruction which is leading to the people in the foreground. There's some other flatter composites where Godzilla is just pasted behind the skyline as people run and those shots feel so perfunctory in comparison.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Monarch: still really bland as hell. 5 episodes in and I still can't bring myself to care about anyone.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Monarch: still really bland as hell. 5 episodes in and I still can't bring myself to care about anyone.

Monarch is what I call a Chore Show. In that it’s a chore to watch, so while you’re cooking or cleaning, look up when you hear monsters.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Godzilla_Toho/status/1732988302599303346

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh whoa! He got some extra shows!
Go, go, Godzilla! Yeah!