Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Fil5000 posted:

Youtube is just designed to show you more of stuff you've already seen (or that people it deems to be like you have seen and watched all of) so it's really easy to get siloed without actively going looking for stuff. My main source of recommendations outside of what the algorithm presents me with is this thread, and for whatever reason Somerton never came up much here so I'd never heard of him until ninety minutes of damning proof of plagarism dropped.

He popped up semi-regularly in my feeds a couple years ago but then dropped out of it almost entirely at some point after, maybe a few months later, and that's a feed algorithm-populated with all the Nebula folks with similar content. I half-wonder if Youtube's algorithm was like, well this guy's makes videos similar to what you watch but all those other creators openly hate him so maybe we'll stop recommending him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Dongicus posted:

lolling again at this Totally Real exchange

a new screenshot has hit the towers

having a fake conversation in my screenshots where i confirm i'm a racist

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

They hosed up really bad if it was able to be traced back to a specific person. Like how do you mess that up so it can be traced back to you.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

They hosed up really bad if it was able to be traced back to a specific person. Like how do you mess that up so it can be traced back to you.

the mistake was saying that the fake person was a reylo shipper. the shipping community is insane enough they were able to confirm no one like that existed. this is a microcosm of the larger problem that created this in the first place, that being fanfic/ya communities being absolutely batshit.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Wait how did that even come up? I thought they figured it out 'cuz the sockpuppet was obviously upvoting Cait Corrain's books while simultaneously obviously bombing everyone except Corrain.

How did the Star Wars even factor here :xd:

cheat at solitaire
Jun 25, 2023
They were so obvious that even I noticed some wonky reviews, and I'm not even in any kind of fandom. I just assumed it was someone taking twitter drama to Goodreads, turns out that wasn't too far off the mark.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

BrianWilly posted:

Wait how did that even come up? I thought they figured it out 'cuz the sockpuppet was obviously upvoting Cait Corrain's books while simultaneously obviously bombing everyone except Corrain.

I think the author tried to say it was a friend from when she was in the Reylo fandom. Should have just stopped at "friend". Her biggest mistake was trying to create legitimacy by adding some details and it backfired horribly.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Guys have we considered that this person is Palpatine and they have once somehow once again, returned?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Guys have we considered that this person is Palpatine and they have once somehow once again, returned?

Can't be, this whole thing didn't happen on Fortnite.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

fanfic and its consequences

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CelticPredator posted:

*cackling as hundreds of twitter posts and multi-hour video essays call me out*

"I have been every creator you have ever seen inside your feed."

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Happy Landfill posted:

I think the author tried to say it was a friend from when she was in the Reylo fandom. Should have just stopped at "friend". Her biggest mistake was trying to create legitimacy by adding some details and it backfired horribly.

She activated the trap card of falsifiability.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Someone didn't watch CSI or about a dozen movies where they trace the IP.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Someone didn't watch CSI or about a dozen movies where they trace the IP.

CSI: Cyber will teach you SO MUCH about Cybersecurity.... technobabble.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

CSI: Cyber is one of the funniest shows that was ever on television and it was EXTREMELY funny that it was (until they revived Vegas) the last gasp of the franchise. They even moved Ted Danson over from the main show to Cyber for it's second season (I assume because his contract was supposed to run another year?).

It's filled to the brim with absolute bullshit, presented with such absolute confidence and overly stylised visuals that I'm still not 100% sure it wasn't a joke the whole time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fil5000 posted:

CSI: Cyber is one of the funniest shows that was ever on television and it was EXTREMELY funny that it was (until they revived Vegas) the last gasp of the franchise. They even moved Ted Danson over from the main show to Cyber for it's second season (I assume because his contract was supposed to run another year?).

It's filled to the brim with absolute bullshit, presented with such absolute confidence and overly stylised visuals that I'm still not 100% sure it wasn't a joke the whole time.

I still find it incredible how most episodes have a plot structure of the writers clearly writing themselves into, then taking a slug of whiskey and making GBS threads their way out of it to a conclusion for the case of the week. 10/10 bullshit, absolutely recommend watching it.

Also Ted Danson is clearly there to gently caress around, play with toys, and collect a paycheck and more power to him for it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The weird part about the way Hollywood portrays cybersecurity is how sometimes they manage to get weird details; The Net correctly used both tracerouting and whois, and Hackers famously has a worm that's accurately mapped on the Morris worm as it functioned on 4.xBSD back in the 80s.

Also, the description of IRC from Numb3rs lives rent-free in my head:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2rGTXHvPCQ

EDIT: Speaking of weird details, it's hilarious to me that Numb3rs' writers managed to get both IRCs lack of central logging (which it is often criticized for, when compared to Discord et cetera), how two people can agree to meet in a pre-determined channel that nobody else can know about because of the secret mode and won't know it happened unless they were there, and that /notify is a feature that relies on /who as defined by the IRC RFC.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Dec 14, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

I'm just amazed at the Star wars connection and the fact that Corrain wasn't writing fanfic about the dude named Corran who hosed space otters.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

NCIS understood computers at a level the rest of us still haven't grasped:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Flying Zamboni posted:

NCIS understood computers at a level the rest of us still haven't grasped:

Didn't one of the writers claim, at one point, that they were intentionally poking fun at the cybersecurity technobabble that Hollywood has become infamous for?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Didn't one of the writers claim, at one point, that they were intentionally poking fun at the cybersecurity technobabble that Hollywood has become infamous for?

Maybe, but let's also not forget that scene ends with Mark Harmon pulling the plug out of the computer they're using, which is an extremely boomer way of fixing "a hacker is invading your network"

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

It's a long time rumor that basically all the really bad hacking scenes are writers making jokes because actual hacking would go so far over the heads of the average audience, but it's never been confirmed outside of a reddit post by someone claiming to have written for shows like CSI with "trust me for real bro" level proof.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

at least it had Fat Neil in it

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The weird part about the way Hollywood portrays cybersecurity is how sometimes they manage to get weird details; The Net correctly used both tracerouting and whois, and Hackers famously has a worm that's accurately mapped on the Morris worm as it functioned on 4.xBSD back in the 80s.

Also, the description of IRC from Numb3rs lives rent-free in my head:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2rGTXHvPCQ

EDIT: Speaking of weird details, it's hilarious to me that Numb3rs' writers managed to get both IRCs lack of central logging (which it is often criticized for, when compared to Discord et cetera), how two people can agree to meet in a pre-determined channel that nobody else can know about because of the secret mode and won't know it happened unless they were there, and that /notify is a feature that relies on /who as defined by the IRC RFC.

I tapped out at luckily I speak l33t. Good on the actors for playing this with a straight face, I guess.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Autisanal Cheese posted:

at least it had Fat Neil in it

The cast all really give the show far more than it deserves.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I say, if it’s not the papists it’s the mahometans, eh wot?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Grassy Knowles posted:

For data collection:
As a trans person with an active dating portfolio and a history of smoking, no one ever asked me to put a cigarette out on them, but there are other practices that lead to small but permanent scars that partners have enjoyed. I dated someone in the suspension scene, for a commonly-depicted example.

But it really doesn’t matter what the specific practice is when the Consent in RACK (Risk-aware consensual kink) isn’t there.

I just want to get ahead of mocking the general kink as it only further stigmatizes those who come out about it and does an abusive sadist’s job for them.
Yeah as another trans person who is in trans spaces where people talk about kink etc this all tracks and agreed

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Vibes of when goons describe why they were run out of other threads

Them: "Listen, you're a free-thinker with dangerous opinions, and you need to fall in line or theres no place for you in the Genshin Impact thread."
Me: " Heh, 'if I have to choose I'd rather not' - Geralt of Rivera. Yeah, that means I'll pass. "

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

it's the "bitch" at the end that gets me.

also this bullshit makes my anxiety flex real hard: I have some really dedicated fans that review everything and it's always great reviews because they like what I do and I've spent years nervously side-eyeing if they're going to get flagged.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

TheFlyingLlama posted:

It's a long time rumor that basically all the really bad hacking scenes are writers making jokes because actual hacking would go so far over the heads of the average audience, but it's never been confirmed outside of a reddit post by someone claiming to have written for shows like CSI with "trust me for real bro" level proof.

Did Sneakers have bad hacking?
All I remember from that movie is the amazing soundtrack

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
my friend lilly with three Ls (real)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fil5000 posted:

Maybe, but let's also not forget that scene ends with Mark Harmon pulling the plug out of the computer they're using, which is an extremely boomer way of fixing "a hacker is invading your network"

I remember a old comicbook from the early 90s where one character's consciousness gets sucked into the computer Tron-style and a character in the real world has an argument with him and then punches the screen and the editor had to add a footnote explaining that smashing the screen wouldn't kill the Tron-ed guy
E:

Animal Man #49

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

fun hater posted:

my friend lilly with three Ls (real)

naming a new villain character Llillillan right now

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

DeafNote posted:

It has great hacking and is more about social engineering and security systems than typing code as fast as possible.

The code breaking machine at the centre of the plot is unrealistic in a realistic way, if that makes sense.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It has great hacking and is more about social engineering and security systems than typing code as fast as possible.

The code breaking machine at the centre of the plot is unrealistic in a realistic way, if that makes sense.

Not sure if this is a spoiler because it's revealed pretty early from my recollection:
For the computer science majors, the code breaking MacGuffin is basically a P=NP chip that can instantly guess and test all encryptions at the same time.

I really need to watch that movie again to see how it holds up.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

TheFlyingLlama posted:

they’re probably not lying, in the sense that genre media (and NCIS/CSI definitely qualify as such) tends to develop conventions and hallmarks and tropes that fans latch onto and grow fond of, to the point where they become a vernacular and set of in-jokes in and of themselves.

Like if you went to a convention of CSI/L&O/NCIS/etc superfans and you showed them a preview clip of the hackiest hacking scene that’s ever hacked, just nothing but peak tropes pushed to the current limit, and then you showed them a new concept wherein you painstakingly hewed to the reality of cyber-law enforcement and tried to be as “realistic” as possible, people would likely go nuts for the former and react to the latter with cold indifference.

Saying you want a more realistic and true-to-life primetime police procedural is like saying that you want a more realistic and true-to-life soap opera.

CBS shows in particular have the issue that they have two core audiences: old-as-poo poo people and younger superfans who are ride-or-die for a given show and sustain it over ~two decades and embark on advocacy and public pressure campaigns when cancellation looms.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

DeafNote posted:

The hacking in Sneakers is pretty accurate for the time, minus the magic box MacGuffin.

stillvisions posted:

Not sure if this is a spoiler because it's revealed pretty early from my recollection:
For the computer science majors, the code breaking MacGuffin is basically a P=NP chip that can instantly guess and test all encryptions at the same time.

I really need to watch that movie again to see how it holds up.

It holds up really well. It's one of my favorite movies and you accurately described the MacGuffin. The only missed point is they said that the Russians use different codes so the MacGuffin would only work on American encryption. Which is silly, because if you could solve any large prime problem, all public/private key computer encryption would be obsolete.

volts5000 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 14, 2023

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Solitair posted:

She activated the trap card of falsifiability.

I'm willing to bet she thought that the Reylo fandom was so big that it wasn't impossible that this fake friend was in it, and honestly who's going to check...and then receipts were pulled out instantly

The fact that this author was already known for creating fake Discord messages for her fanfiction is just icing on this cake :discourse:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Trying to be an author in 2023 seems like one of the most miserable things I could imagine. Like, you have all the problems that always plagued the profession and now stack on the new bullshit of social media drama and the "content creation" mindset.

Edit: oh, and all the Small Business Owner brain worms for anyone doing self-publishing.

Ugh. I dunno, there are some bright'ish spots like Patreon, but in general, it just seems like an awful time to be a creative of any stripe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Skippy McPants posted:

Trying to be an author in 2023 seems like one of the most miserable things I could imagine. Like, you have all the problems that always plagued the profession and now stack on the new bullshit of social media drama and the "content creation" mindset.

Edit: oh, and all the Small Business Owner brain worms for anyone doing self-publishing.

Ugh. I dunno, there are some bright'ish spots like Patreon, but in general, it just seems like an awful time to be a creative of any stripe.

Don't forget that you pretty much have to use Amazon to sell your book and they'll gently caress you over repeatedly, that's a modern day wrinkle.