Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/marchhare_mk2/status/1737701125976191103?t=5AfZat_nwJ8MBCBV7PUW_w&s=19

For once it's a blu ray change that's good. The other ones just seem kinda like "okay but why tho"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Suletta is GAY

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I can't see either the tweets or the embeds, is that an X issue or were they deleted?

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

elon is trying to censor sulemio's marriage again, like when he imposed the rate limit a day before the finale

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think Twitter is just having a normal one atm.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's just X being X

Anyway I doubt the Director is gonna be in trouble for this as the BD changes and actual original airing so somebody up top had to approve things. Just that Bandai Namco is a big company and I'm guessing one sides Execs didn't speak to another plus they didn't want to torch relations with Kadokawa even if Kadokawa is just a mess right now.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

BlitznBurst posted:

. God knows why they would bother with that entire PR disaster if they were just gonna offhandedly mention it in a BD booklet anyway though. .

Only people over the age of sixty are considered human. The youths opinions are irrelevant

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Crimes Against Humanity Momma gets a yellow epilogue sweater.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 21, 2023

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Azran posted:

I can't see either the tweets or the embeds, is that an X issue or were they deleted?

It’s weird, I can see them on the mobile app, but not my browser

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Crimes Against Humanity Momma gets a yellow epilogue sweater.

Wrong color.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.zeonic-republic.net/?page_id=11142

Translation of the blu ray interview with director Kobayashi. Some parts that I found interesting:

quote:

―――You also wanted to feature societal oppression more?

Kobayashi: Absolutely. We also explored the theme of sinners seeking redemption. None of the characters in this story, including Prospera and Delling, are purely virtuous. For instance, Suletta kills and Miorine’s decisions lead to catastrophic events on Earth. Yet, we deviated slightly from the narrative norm of sinners getting punished. This was again inspired by The Tempest, where Prospero forgives those who wronged him, like his brother Antonio and the King of Naples. Antonio, however, feels no remorse and receives no punishment. Of course, legal justice for crimes is necessary, but it’s a point of reflection that we didn’t depict atonement in the main story. We questioned the necessity of vigilantism or punishment driven by a sense of justice. Is it right to pass such a society onto our children? Especially in Gundam works, where there’s often a harsh view of life and death and a karmic retribution, we needed to be cautious about deriving catharsis from punishment. The five girls, along with Shaddiq and Grassley, are prepared to face punishment for their crimes, but many were just pawns in the schemes of adults.

―――As we entered Season 2, the spotlight shifted to Earth and introduced the Space Assembly League as a new force. Did you always plan to show the world outside the school?

Kobayashi: Yes, that was part of the plan from the beginning. The setting of the Ad Stella era mirrors the Middle Ages before nation-states were firmly established, similar to the Kamakura period’s manorial system (a social system where temples, shrines, and nobles own and control land). In other words, powerful figures and clans owned and governed lands. This meant that powerful entities, like the Benerit Group, would have been vying for dominance, just like in those times. The Space Assembly League, being an administrative body, was inherently weaker and aimed to reduce Benerit’s influence.

―――What role does Earth play in this setting?

Kobayashi: I always wanted to depict the part of Asticassia that gets directly involved in the war, that gets entangled in it. That’s where the introduction of two Gundam pilots, Sophie and Norea, came into play, and I had been considering this since the early stages. They’re modeled after two women involved in the Salem Witch Trials. They represent the stark contrast to Asticassia’s students, living in poverty in an environment where education is dysfunctional. This negative aspect is partly a result of economic activities by corporations like Benerit. I envisioned a relationship of light and shadow where, looking at it differently, making the Asticassia students, in a way, the givers of the curse.

―――Finally, could you share your thoughts now that the production is complete?

Kobayashi: For the main story, we managed to reach the intended conclusion based on The Tempest, with Suletta and Miorine’s endpoint and Prospera giving up revenge. I was prepared for mixed opinions since the ending isn’t clear-cut, with no definitive punishment for the wrongdoers. Another unresolved issue is the salvation of those burdened with hardships, and unwittingly, the sins of Prospera and the adults were passed on to Suletta, Miorine, and Shaddiq. It mirrors the real-world problem of younger generations bearing the burdens of their predecessors. Still, Suletta and the others will keep moving forward, but as an adult, I feel sorry that we couldn’t lay down a better path for these characters

Well he's certainly right about the mixed opinions on the ending. I understand taking inspiration from The Tempest means a happily ever after and forgiveness but it's harder for me to swallow with the context and content of the show itself. Prospero's overthrow in The Tempest is in abstract while the mass murder, oppression and corporate exploitation in G Witch is straight up text. It's easier to forgive in The Tempest when the world doesn't exist beyond what the play presents to the audience, whereas G Witch's forays beyond the walls of the school stage feel a bit too real for me to want to give any of the corpo rats the benefit of the doubt.

It's one of the messy ways that changes and variations on preexisting works can alter the effectiveness of the original meaning. Prospero doesn't have a scene where he flies a giant death machine into a city and kills of tens of thousands of people before ending the play asking the audience to lift the spell for him.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 21, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I genuinely feel weird about Miorine taking the blame for what happened on Earth. Like I know she blames herself because she's lacking information but she was doing great until a certain someone decided to war crime.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Also, while I commented at the time that the show wasn't able to predict the concept of modern warfare getting upended by the Ukraine war, the past three months have have retroactively made G Witch depressingly prescient with regards to the way corporate media responds to humanitarian crises and how swiftly terrorist violence is used to justify retribution against unarmed innocents. WFM's depiction of Earth looks more and more like Gaza. I still think Dawn of Fold are hosed up assholes but at the same time I can understand where they're coming from when Earthians are backed into a corner and not given any means push back on equal terms.

Still, don't use mentally unstable child soldiers if you want me to side with y'all, DOF.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 21, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Still, don't use mentally unstable child soldiers if you want me to side with y'all, DOF.

But that rules out every single Gundam faction!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ImpAtom posted:

But that rules out every single Gundam faction!

Not if Tubarov had his way with his mobile dolls!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/zeonicscans/status/1737954903329280204

Thread of characters

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i think "she's been rendered harmless, do you really need the satisfaction of watching prospera be lashed for her crimes? does feeding that desire make a better society?" is a pretty neat point to bring forward, especially as relates to how the audience will interact with this conclusion

interesting concept to explore, how catharsis influences our perception of morality. gwitch is good, that's cool

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/zeonicscans/status/1737927534732263856

uuuuuuu prodoros

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/marchhare_mk2/status/1737701125976191103?t=5AfZat_nwJ8MBCBV7PUW_w&s=19

For once it's a blu ray change that's good. The other ones just seem kinda like "okay but why tho"

hell yeah

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

AND YOU MAY FIND YOURSELF IN THE COCKPIT OF A LARGE MOBILE SUIT

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I feel like Martin stress ate a whole bunch in the aftermath of everything. I assume there was an apocalyptic media circus and he was technically in charge of Earth House so he had to deal with it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

grabbin the nearest suit off the rack, don't got time (or money) to get one tailored

what do you mean I look like three kobolds in a trenchcoat

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

wdarkk posted:

I feel like Martin stress ate a whole bunch in the aftermath of everything. I assume there was an apocalyptic media circus and he was technically in charge of Earth House so he had to deal with it.

It’s very stressful, life during wartime.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I wonder if Martin shacked up with his gf / therapy buddy Secelia

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I think the problem with Prospera wasn’t that she “wasn’t punished” or “was forgiven”, it was more just another part of the ending that was too rushed and unexamined. She comes in the room with the death haros to kill the cast, gets no-scoped by El5n, and then basically just ceases to meaningfully exist for the rest of the show until she shows up in a wheelchair in the background of the epilogue. That newtype ghost vision she had wasn’t nearly enough introspection or closure.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's okay she frowned once when she heard Suletta on the radio.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Suletta Sundays were so good.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

galagazombie posted:

I think the problem with Prospera wasn’t that she “wasn’t punished” or “was forgiven”, it was more just another part of the ending that was too rushed and unexamined. She comes in the room with the death haros to kill the cast, gets no-scoped by El5n, and then basically just ceases to meaningfully exist for the rest of the show until she shows up in a wheelchair in the background of the epilogue

Well yes, but also the gap between the mommy massacre attempt and the epilogue is one episode

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

mllaneza posted:

This

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

mllaneza posted:

It was a show, take it for all in all, we shall not look upon its like again.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The ending was way too cramped, could have done with several more episodes and the rest SAL should have been introduced way earlier. I know we got the inspectors (rip jun) but they provided a picture of an entity completely different to what we saw later (just as full of backstabbing and stuff as Benerit)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I don't like the SAL as a plot point at all and felt that they dragged down the entire climax. Every role they serve in the plot could have been accomplished better by sticking to just Prospera as the villain, IMO.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They could have replaced it with cathedra/dominicus and had a more tied together result, true.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

wdarkk posted:

I think he's just a goober who doesn't know how to buy a suit that fits.

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

galagazombie posted:

I think the problem with Prospera wasn’t that she “wasn’t punished” or “was forgiven”, it was more just another part of the ending that was too rushed and unexamined. She comes in the room with the death haros to kill the cast, gets no-scoped by El5n, and then basically just ceases to meaningfully exist for the rest of the show until she shows up in a wheelchair in the background of the epilogue. That newtype ghost vision she had wasn’t nearly enough introspection or closure.
I mean, basically the actual decisive moment of the finale is Prospera telling Suletta to use Quiet Zero and Suletta refusing. The episode just mostly centers Suletta's own feelings while we don't really get any insight into Prospera's own thoughts, which I think is fine for the runtime they had.
Like I think the Prospera thing is basically summed up by "I'm greedy." There's no real moral judgement there, it's just what Suletta wants. Meanwhile Delling gets no resolution with Mio because she doesn't give a poo poo about him and the show ends with him getting railed by the quiet zero investigators.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Waffleman_ posted:

AND YOU MAY FIND YOURSELF IN THE COCKPIT OF A LARGE MOBILE SUIT

And you may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Kobayashi interview also says that they wrote up detailed backgrounds for all of the Earth House members but they haven't released them to the public. I'd be very interested to read whatever they made up for Nika. Spend your childhood working in a machine shop and then you get a Willy Wonka golden ticket to the richest of the rich kids school. You think she only met Dawn of Fold after her first year? That would he one hell of an awkward summer break to go home, meet the guy who is called your adoptive father and then be sent back to school with a radio to coordinate terrorist bombings.

Also just the function of Earth House in general at the school. If it's for Benerit Group companies does that make the parents and sponsors of the Earth House kids corpos or are they all independent applicants who got tossed in a storage shed as a joke? Grassley has their academy pipeline that scoops up Earth orphans and educates them for Spacian interests so nobody really seems to view them as Earthican anymore.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 22, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'd guess she knew she was being a terrorist phone line before entering the school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

That Works posted:

And you may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"
going beyond the time
waterfowl fly overhead
going beyond the time
all your old classmates are dead