Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Kwolok posted:

I still can't believe meta removed native chrome casting from the quest 3. I'm flabbergasted by it...

Whats a good way to cast Q3 to the tv now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Kwolok posted:

I still can't believe meta removed native chrome casting from the quest 3. I'm flabbergasted by it...

Lol what the gently caress? I got a lot of use out of that.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Thoatse posted:

Whats a good way to cast Q3 to the tv now?

Cast to phone, then chromecast from there to TV.

Dumb but works.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Bondematt posted:

Cast to phone, then chromecast from there to TV.

Dumb but works.

And has a ton more lag than native casting used to have. What a brilliant play Meta!

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

Kwolok posted:

I suspect this has applied to the Q2 with the latest update too, I didn't get a chance to troubleshoot it but my Q2 can no longer see my Chromecasts while it was working fine last week and still works casting to my phone.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Does this mean I'll be able to look at my Satisfactory poo poo in VR? Because I'd really like that.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Asgards Wrath 1 is excellent and Im close to finishing it for the first time but hearing that AW2 allows for more offensive combat vs always waiting to parry the power attacks to break armor makes so so happy because its honestly my only problem with the first game. Its not so bad for small enemies but it is a dreadfully boring mechanic for the miniboss fights.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 30, 2023

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Kwolok posted:

And has a ton more lag than native casting used to have. What a brilliant play Meta!

Yeah, and the lag was already annoying enough with just Chromecasting. They haven't given a reason either from what I've read.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Bad Munki posted:

Does this mean I'll be able to look at my Satisfactory poo poo in VR? Because I'd really like that.

Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E17KdUIvHHM

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

I'm doing better with motion sickness on the Quest 3 than I did with the Vive, but I feel like Blade Runners and slide jumps would make me hurl.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The actual github page thats linked in several pages is missing, hopefully it's offline to get polished up before launching the download and not because they've gotten a C&D from Epic at the last minute :ohdear:

https://github.com/praydog/UEVR

Same thing when I looked into it maybe a week ago. I think the plan is, at some point, flip the switch and make the GitHub public but, since we haven't gotten to that point it's a dead link.

I want to play Trials of Mana in VR so bad. Or any other rpg, pretty much. Especially now as, the more I get into AW2, I'm kinda surprised it got perfect scores from some places.

For the reviews that were like "this is amazing even compared to non-VR games", I think they're kinda getting carried away. It really is a lot of content for a VR game and I'm glad we got it but I think once you get deeper in it a lot of the cracks start showing. Long stretches of repetitive stuff, mechanics that don't actually work too well, design decisions that make you think "why the hell would anyone think that was a good idea?"

It is not bad at all, and for VR it's great. Just very flawed at the same time. It's no DQ11, which is unreal engine and will almost definitely work (it's listed in the docs though no details), and might end up a much better VR RPG, even without all the specifically VR mechanics because for me all that comes second to being an actual good game.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

BrainDance posted:

I want to play Trials of Mana in VR so bad. Or any other rpg, pretty much. Especially now as, the more I get into AW2, I'm kinda surprised it got perfect scores from some places.

I really want a version of Civilization or one of the Paradox grand strategy games designed for chilling on a couch and using a giant AR globe and some floating panels as the UI. And no overemphasis on skeumorphic gorilla-arming. That's fine for a Job Simulator but the more I think about it, the more I feel like Apple's gotten the right idea by just straight up forcing non-immersive games to go through their standardized lazy-arms UI handling.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

quote:

@everyone Happy New Years Eve!

Mark your calendars, we have a special release from Praydog at 9 PM GMT today 👀

Happy New Years, indeed! This is from the Discord where they officially talk about it, mostly that Waifu enjoyer dude that does all the playtesting and video uploads on the UEVR mod.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
https://www.meta.com/en-gb/blog/quest/price-drop-news-meta-quest-2/

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Nice price.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The main thing I want to UEVR mod for is the new Pinball FX. After having played some of the other Pinball games in VR I just can’t go back to a flat screen version, even when the screen is in proper orientation

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
https://github.com/praydog/UEVR/releases/tag/1.0

UEVR released.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Hell yeah stoked to mess with this once I am done being an ADULT for the day

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Heck yeah. Looking forward to people making profiles for niche games

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Super excited at how much this opens up, especially since it works with 5 and not just 4 so there’s a tremendous catalogue that can see conversions

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Anyone know if anything’s being tried with the new full body tracking on Q3 / what the extent of it is? Are we gonna be seeing games where you can kick any time soon?

E: ah never mind I guess legs are still just generated. Only the upper body is actively tracked.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 1, 2024

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

We set up a child’s account for my daughter to use my wife’s former q2, but holy poo poo we can’t get it signed in or whatever on the headset. Without going into details of the myriad approaches we’ve tried, is there any fundamental pitfall people suffer with this thing? It fails to pair with the kid’s phone via the 5-digit code every time, we have the parental controls on, etc.

Need a god drat walkthrough, this is insane.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nevermind, we finally got it I think. Only took like an hour. There was apparently some stuff with clickable links that were not meant to be clicked and viewed in-app, you have to old school type the address in on a phone and manage it that way. I dunno.

We just want to play some golf ffs!

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 1, 2024

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well that was a ton of fun and a great way to end the year, 4-way VR mini golf with me, my wife, and the two kids. The meta ecosystem was an absolute PITA getting it running initially with child/teen accounts but once we got in there, it was great and I think we all loved it.

Can’t wait to try again next year, and maybe some beat saber or something as well!

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

UEVR is very cool. Trials of Mana crashed for me at launch though (and another guy on the Discord, so I'm suspecting this is just a bug with the current version of it since people had it running before the public release) but I messed around with it in DQ 11 instead. Sucks that DQ11 doesnt have a first person mod, but UEVR has some camera controls so maybe there's a way.

But yeah, camera, that's the biggest issue. I think this might take some getting used to and some figuring out, it's not super easy launch and go without having a config someones made, at least not for the games I tried. Things will probably get better once I figure out more how to use it and make configs, but it's got a learning curve.

Similarly, tried Octopath Traveler 2. It works but its also got some problems with the camera. All the problems with it seem like the kinda problem that can get solved with just a little bit more work so, once it matures more, and we have community configs made for a bunch of games, then it'll get pretty easy.

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

Me and my fiancé got a Quest 2 together for Christmas. I remember when the first commercial VR headsets came out thinking how cool it would be to play puzzle games like The Room and Myst in VR. Turns out they both have VR versions and it is cool!

I've also found myself playing Population One too. It's a free to play shooter that seems pretty similar to Fortnite and not really the kind of game I'd normally enjoy but climbing up things and gliding around in VR with weapons that you have to properly aim is a blast.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i thought bioshock infinite might be a fun game to inject vr into but i simply cannot get UEVR to recognize the process, is the game simply too old???

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Yeah, I think it only works on UE4 and 5, and BI is on 3

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

BrainDance posted:

Similarly, tried Octopath Traveler 2. It works but its also got some problems with the camera. All the problems with it seem like the kinda problem that can get solved with just a little bit more work so, once it matures more, and we have community configs made for a bunch of games, then it'll get pretty easy.

I feel what this provides is the full foundation necessary for people to be able to walk in and make custom tweaks to work well with individual games, so I figure we'll see some magic by this summer. It's also weirdly cool to think that any UE game could end up with a well-done VR mod within weeks after initial release.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Got a Quest 3 coming Jan 3rd. Any recommends for good VR games, or at least good games that support VR, on sale right now? Probably no racing games as I don't have a wheel, but I do have a HOTAS.

Already have or plan on getting:
-Half-Life: Alyx
-Star Wars: Squadrons
-Elite Dangerous

I'm also interested in any multiplayer games that support asymmetric multiplayer; 1 or more VR users versus/with regular PC players. Anything like that?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Doesn't need a HOTAS (though pedals will work) but VTOL VR is the most fun I've had in any VR game/sim.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Playing Vampire Survivors over wireless Steamlink on my Quest 2 is pretty cool.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Really enjoying playing Baldurs Gate 3 through Virtual Desktop.

The display is like 8 times the size of my monitor. I can see the little inventory icons much better. I can choose to have the immersion of having a theater setting where there's nothing in my periphery distracting me. Or have it on passthrough if I want to use my phone. I can sit on my comfy recliner. I am away from the heat and fan noise from my PC tower. Don't have to deal with the hassles of connecting it to my TV. But that's possible because I prefer playing it with my gamepad.

Asgards Wrath 2 just seems to get bigger the more I play it. Even after 25 hours.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Away all Goats posted:

Got a Quest 3 coming Jan 3rd. Any recommends for good VR games, or at least good games that support VR, on sale right now? Probably no racing games as I don't have a wheel, but I do have a HOTAS.

-Elite Dangerous

I'm also interested in any multiplayer games that support asymmetric multiplayer; 1 or more VR users versus/with regular PC players. Anything like that?

Ballistic NG has a great VR mode if you want some Wipeout VR.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

-Elite Dangerous

Until You Fall is my second favorite "complete" VR game after Alyx. Re: Elite Dangerous, FWIW I tried it in VR and it simply has way too many buttons for me to not be able to look at my keyboard. Maybe if you have a lot of experience playing it and know the control scheme by heart but I couldn't manage it

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
I've been thoroughly enjoying my Q3.. got it right before Christmas and was traveling and had all my gear with me and dove right in but finally got to start playing around with it at home and getting things dialed.

Headstrap: surprisingly serviceable.. expected to hate but find myself enjoying it? I have an F1/glider simrig with a headrest and really wanted something streamlined back there and it was liberating in general not to have chonky bullshit on the back of my head. Adding one of those skull cup things made for Q2 made it acceptably comfy and easier to get on/off now too.

Facial interface: not great but have options to explore AMVR? Other?

Skipped link cable for video but have one with charge injection if I need juice I can also tether but got a 10,000mah power bank that works a charm.. pocket/head/chest strap, get like 3hrs before it starts on the internal so no more charge anxiety. Getting my adorable little router (Beryl AX) dialed in made VD experience quite smooth. It's just wifi6 but I must not have much 5ghz traffic cause it seems to work ok even when it was set to half its bandwidth (80ghz/1200mbs) lol. I maxed it to 160mhz/2400mbs and turned off its other channels and functions and put it close to my simrig and kept forgetting I wasn't tethered in DR2 :v:

Looking fwd to my 4070 showing up to start using AV1.. currently using HVEC-10 bit/200Mbs with my 3070 and even that looks great. Replaying Lone Echo untethered is.. amazing, been so long since I played it and forgot how god drat good it is. Picked up LE2 for when I eventually finish.

This headstrap thing: (works fine with q3 strap.. bonus: empty hard point for power bank?)

This battery:

This router:

Waiting on: these knuckles strap things that replace the stock battery covers:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

johnny park posted:

Until You Fall is my second favorite "complete" VR game after Alyx. Re: Elite Dangerous, FWIW I tried it in VR and it simply has way too many buttons for me to not be able to look at my keyboard. Maybe if you have a lot of experience playing it and know the control scheme by heart but I couldn't manage it

Gamepad! I've played elite on a controller since release and its way easier than with joystick or keyboard.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I've heard that the bobo vr quest 3 m3 head strap is the best head strap but has some sort of battery issue. Has anyone here used it and have thoughts?

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Kwolok posted:

I've heard that the bobo vr quest 3 m3 head strap is the best head strap but has some sort of battery issue. Has anyone here used it and have thoughts?

I have it. The battery complainers are idiots - the battery runs out of juice far before the headset. The battery pack will run out while the quest is still at about 90% charge, so unless you're trying to play a 20 hour stretch with 10 battery packs it is never going to matter that the power supplied by the battery is slightly lower than what the Quest 3 uses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Robocop Rogue City in VR?

2024 off to a good start!