Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

It might have something to do with Thirteen coming back if other leaks are to be believed.

with how accurate the last leaks were I'm willing to lick up all this salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Not sure I've seen this rumor. Any details, or just "Jodie might come back"?

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Matinee posted:

Basically, at one point in The Giggle, Mel said, amid a bunch of hacking technobabble, "we're using Triad", and there's been fan location reports, thought to be from the finale filming block, of a company called "Triad Technology". There's some in-world advertising, and I gather there's at least some scenes set at their headquarters.
https://x.com/set_dw/status/1733581790877499613?s=20
So, uh, yeah, there you go. "Triad" might well be your arc word.

Interesting. How many classic series villains or things came in threes? Gods of Ragnarok? Rassilon/Omega/Other (LOOOOOMS)? The trilogic game from the original Toymaker serial?

I guess you can't read too much into the word itself at this time, like who would have guessed what "Bad Wolf" or "Saxon" ultimately signified just from those words alone?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
"mister Saxon" is an anagram for "master no six" so people worked that one out pretty quick

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
RTD always insisted that was a complete coincidence, though it's possible by then he was just an unthinking vessel for the will of Doctor Who

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
So... Sea Devils spinoff anyone?

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Ehhhh

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

I honestly wonder if it's exactly what it appears because we know Rusty likes to play a game or two and subvert expectations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
UNIT dating will finally be explained!

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Unleash Murray Gold on the Moog!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Hopefully they just straight up ditch the old Sea Devil voices and go with something else.

I assume it's gonna be some sort of global warming thing, which RTD says he's fairly interested in, but I've heard his Dark Season play about that, the one from last year, and it was not good.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
If and a big if they end up doing a sea devil spin off I'm curious what the demographic they'll be aiming for.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I feel like everyone is kind of jumping into this being about the Sea Devils a little heavily. It's the UNIT spin-off that's long been rumored, just that the overarching conflict is between UNIT and the Sea Devils.

My understanding, from reading all the leaks I can find, is that it's got a couple of standalone eps about UNIT fighting other threats, but with the main plot of the season being about the Sea Devils.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

I feel like everyone is kind of jumping into this being about the Sea Devils a little heavily. It's the UNIT spin-off that's long been rumored, just that the overarching conflict is between UNIT and the Sea Devils.

My understanding, from reading all the leaks I can find, is that it's got a couple of standalone eps about UNIT fighting other threats, but with the main plot of the season being about the Sea Devils.

It would actually feel a pretty weird to do a whole spinoff about the Sea Devils and not also heavily involve at least the Silurians. This still feels like Torchwood 2.0 to me, but we don't have any real information on it, so who knows?

Warthur
May 2, 2004

The word I heard is that it's called "The War Between the Land and Sea". Who's to say that UNIT necessarily represent the land in that equation? Would be wild if it's about Silurians and Sea Devils getting in a fight and UNIT trying to protect humanity from the crossfire.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

They should set it 400Mya, explore Sea Devil society at its peak.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Was a lot more excited about the Sea Devils before their recent turn with 13. That episode was apparently a bit of a disaster production wise, and this makes it seem like someone in the BBC is bound and determined to make the money they spent on those costumes worthwhile finally. lol

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Teek posted:

Was a lot more excited about the Sea Devils before their recent turn with 13. That episode was apparently a bit of a disaster production wise, and this makes it seem like someone in the BBC is bound and determined to make the money they spent on those costumes worthwhile finally. lol

They were poo poo costumes too.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
In case anyone hasn't read about it yet, apparently Millie Gibson's character is being written out of DW midway through the next season, and is expected to only appear in three or four episodes (one of which is a standalone episode that will serve as her farewell). A new companion played by Varada Sethu is expected to be introduced. RTD reportedly made the decision shortly after filming wrapped on the first season of the new series.

Given the circumstances of Eccleston's departure after only one season under RTD, I'm (quite possibly mistakenly) getting the old "more to this than meets the eye" kinda feeling.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
This is the spoiler thread, you don't need spoiler tags here.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, the rumour mill's been that she's difficult to work with -- diva behaviour is the term I ran into. I didn't put much stock in it, and I dunno if I put any more into it gven that it appears she's leaving now. One and a half seasons is pretty typical of RTD anyway.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, the rumour mill's been that she's difficult to work with -- diva behaviour is the term I ran into.

She was 18 years old when she was filming the first season. I'm pretty sure "diva behavior" means "she was just a normal teenager."

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Timby posted:

She was 18 years old when she was filming the first season. I'm pretty sure "diva behavior" means "she was just a normal teenager."

Oh yeah nah "diva" is just old fashioned code for "difficult" which is classic weasel word bullshit that gets slung at women on sets. Like I said, I put no stock in that crap.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Sydney Bottocks posted:

In case anyone hasn't read about it yet, apparently Millie Gibson's character is being written out of DW midway through the next season, and is expected to only appear in three or four episodes (one of which is a standalone episode that will serve as her farewell). A new companion played by Varada Sethu is expected to be introduced. RTD reportedly made the decision shortly after filming wrapped on the first season of the new series.

Given the circumstances of Eccleston's departure after only one season under RTD, I'm (quite possibly mistakenly) getting the old "more to this than meets the eye" kinda feeling.

That's also a pretty average length for companions for the revival.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Not really, considering a current season is like a 1/4 of one.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Khanstant posted:

Not really, considering a current season is like a 1/4 of one.

13 episodes is about as much as Martha, Donna and Bill got and more than Dan.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Yeah. Amy, Rory, and Clara kind of skewed the results a touch, but most companions stick around for a season or so then meander off to whatever horrible fate the writers give them (Poor Martha having to marry Mickey)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Do you reckon that relationship would have lasted?

Tbh I completely lose track of the character towards the end of season two, all his problems magically vanish off-screen and he maybe shacks up with that random dude and eh?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Ncutti just posted an Instagram story calling Millies "my little Gemini heart". He's big into astrology, hence the Gemini thing. No mention of anything else but the timing must be deliberate.

Honestly, if there's been behind the scene problems I'd put them firmly at the production offices feet. It's a recurring pattern for them to have HR issues and Millie might only be 18 going on 19 during filming but she also came from soaps. Corrie might not be as demanding as Doctor Who in lots of ways but I guarantee its a great proving ground to stamp out "diva" behaviour.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I hope it doesn't lead to him wanting to leave...

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
Given that all the news stories I've seen so far refer to her being "dropped" or "axed", and that RTD reportedly made the decision after filming on the season was completed, going to guess that it's likely not a case of her just deciding to move on after a season.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Nah, I bet they're teeing her up for the spin off. She's been filming scenes with Jenna Redgrave, maybe as a UNIT recruit of some kind. Feels like the kind of thing that RTD almost did with Martha over on Torchwood.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
E: nothing to see here :v:

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 20, 2024

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
There’s a rumour about the Doctor hooking up with Ruby’s bf/ex-bf which sounds very odd (and unlikely).

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
Also, I think there's been some confusion, from what I've read the reports say her character is in four episodes in the 2024 season and that's it. She won't be in Gatwa's second season at all and won't be in the Xmas special that airs this year.

I wanted to clarify that, as I think some might have gotten the impression that she'll be in Gatwa's first season and part of his second season, which does not appear to be the case, and that's why I don't think it's a situation comparable to Freema Agyeman or Pearl Mackie, or any of the classic series companions who only did a single season on the show.
E: Ignore this, I somehow missed some reports that said her last episodes
will be in the 2025 series. :sweatdrop:

Still doesn't explain why they didn't just announce it, though :v:

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 20, 2024

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Also, I think there's been some confusion, from what I've read the reports say her character is in four episodes in the 2024 season and that's it. She won't be in Gatwa's second season at all and won't be in the Xmas special that airs this year.

I wanted to clarify that, as I think some might have gotten the impression that she'll be in Gatwa's first season and part of his second season, which does not appear to be the case, and that's why I don't think it's a situation comparable to Freema Agyeman or Pearl Mackie, or any of the classic series companions who only did a single season on the show.

It's entirely possible that her departure was planned and amicable, but something tells me it isn't. And in any case, given how both the BBC and RTD and crew handled Eccleston's departure back in 2005, I'm not currently inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

This is wrong, the reports talk about the 2025 season.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

This is wrong, the reports talk about the 2025 season.

I did some more googling and it appears that you're correct, so I apologize for flubbing that. :sweatdrop:

Open Source Idiom posted:

Nah, I bet they're teeing her up for the spin off. She's been filming scenes with Jenna Redgrave, maybe as a UNIT recruit of some kind. Feels like the kind of thing that RTD almost did with Martha over on Torchwood.

On reflection, and after being corrected, I'd say that this is likely closer to the truth. I'm still not inclined to give RTD or the BBC the benefit of the doubt, but after having my misunderstanding cleared up, I'd agree that the reasons for her departure are likely less shady than I'd first thought.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 20, 2024

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Tabloids are selling rage, they're gonna use loaded language like that no matter the truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Dabir posted:

Tabloids are selling rage, they're gonna use loaded language like that no matter the truth.

Where I goofed up was misunderstanding/misreading and thinking the story was that she was only in five episodes, total, which definitely seemed a bit :raise: to me. Once I'd had that cleared up (that she's actually in a full season and a half, not just half a season total), it made a lot more sense.