Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Floofy posted:

CBX full faces. Are those alright? Just a recommendation of the guy I was working with. I did the old ‘what do you like?’ When I didn’t know much about wedges.

I know i did not want to spend 300 a piece on the vokey’s, and with my friends staff discount, the Cleveland’s were 99 each

I have a 50 and a 58 cbx full face 2 in my bag, great at chipping and pitching, probably also great at full swings but I can't test due to this persistent injury (been injured from golf longer than I played golf now)

They are well reviewed, and 99 is a steal. Did you get the full face 2 (current model?). Even if its the older full faces that's a good price for new, but if its the full face 2 that's a smoking deal and wish I could get that price for the 54 I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Shrapnig posted:

There are some interesting rumors circulating that Nike may be getting itself out of golf, and thus Tiger Woods, entirely.

I'll admit, it would be odd to see some of these guys, especially Tiger, on the course without being festooned in the Swoosh.

It doesn't make any sense for them anymore. They don't sell golf balls or clubs, and that's where the money is at. You can only make so much money selling clothes and shoes.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

ElGroucho posted:

You can only make so much money selling clothes and shoes.

95% of Nike's $50B+ revenue last year was from clothes and shoes...

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

ElGroucho posted:

You can only make so much money selling clothes and shoes.

I'm not sure what else you think Nike makes?

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

mattfl posted:

I'm not sure what else you think Nike makes?

uh ever hear of nike + ipod… look at how big apple is—must be a huge profit center

Floofy
Jan 17, 2004

GEMorris posted:

I have a 50 and a 58 cbx full face 2 in my bag, great at chipping and pitching, probably also great at full swings but I can't test due to this persistent injury (been injured from golf longer than I played golf now)

They are well reviewed, and 99 is a steal. Did you get the full face 2 (current model?). Even if its the older full faces that's a good price for new, but if its the full face 2 that's a smoking deal and wish I could get that price for the 54 I want.

Looks like I was mistaken. Cbx zipcore ts2’s? Could have sworn I got the full faces. Anyway, got a 52 and a 56

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ElGroucho posted:

It doesn't make any sense for them anymore. They don't sell golf balls or clubs, and that's where the money is at. You can only make so much money selling clothes and shoes.
This is backwards. Soft goods (clothes and shoes) are where the margins are. That’s why they exited the club and ball business.

That said, premium balls are a big money maker, but Titleist has that well locked up and Nike couldn’t make inroads.

They probably pay out too much in sponsorships and aren’t selling enough clothes to recoup the investment.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Floofy posted:

Looks like I was mistaken. Cbx zipcore ts2’s? Could have sworn I got the full faces. Anyway, got a 52 and a 56

Regular CBX zipcore is still very good and $99 is better than black friday prices on that club. It's arguable how important full face is below say 56*

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
double post

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

That said, premium balls are a big money maker

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

They probably pay out too much in sponsorships and aren’t selling enough clothes to recoup the investment.

They’ve tightened up in other areas (signature/sponsored athletes in European soccer being a notable one), so it might be that as well.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
On this, my 60th birthday, I shot a 79 at 6600 yards. 35 mph winds, again. I've played four rounds with my new irons, and the one day it wasn't windy it was 34 degrees and you could not estimate how far your balls was going to go between rock hard fairways and rock hard greens. I have literally no clue on the distances on these clubs, still. Love them, great feel, but no idea.

Highlight? 626 yard par 5 #9. Driver into the wind balloons and ends up going just 220 yards. 7 wood to 200 out. 7 wood to pin high, just off the green, chip and a putt for par. Driver, 7w, 7w and one of guys in my four ball hit driver, 3w, hybrid for his par.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

torgeaux posted:

On this, my 60th birthday, I shot a 79 at 6600 yards. 35 mph winds, again. I've played four rounds with my new irons, and the one day it wasn't windy it was 34 degrees and you could not estimate how far your balls was going to go between rock hard fairways and rock hard greens. I have literally no clue on the distances on these clubs, still. Love them, great feel, but no idea.

Highlight? 626 yard par 5 #9. Driver into the wind balloons and ends up going just 220 yards. 7 wood to 200 out. 7 wood to pin high, just off the green, chip and a putt for par. Driver, 7w, 7w and one of guys in my four ball hit driver, 3w, hybrid for his par.

:toot: Someone get this guy a couple simulator hours for his birthday so he can dial in those yardages

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Shrapnig posted:

:toot: Someone get this guy a couple simulator hours for his birthday so he can dial in those yardages

I'll set up a gofundme.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
I got fitted for new irons and it’s crazy how much variance you get between shafts. I used the same heads as my current gamers (zx7) and the results were all over the map. With a 7 iron:
Current shafts (steel fiber 115) - pretty nice dispersion, tight on distance but tended to be at the target to 10-15 yards left.
Project x - god awful, literally chunked all but one.
DG x100 - meh, same dispersion at steel fibers but increased distance dispersion due to several thick ones.
Nippon Modus 130 - incredibly buttery and super tight dispersion, hit 15 balls and had 5 yards of depth dispersion and 5 yards of width dispersion. Couldn’t believe how tight they were. I also gained 2-3 miles of club head speed, likely due to increased confidence.

My speed training has also been paying off. I hit 10 drives and averaged 121 swing speed.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Played a round of golf with a pickup group of randoms at the course for the first time. Couple of old euro dudes. It was certainly an interesting experience. They were polite enough to ooh/ahh when I whipped a good clean tee shot. One guy could hardly swing his body and the other had full blown parkinsons hand tremors and barely stand and despite the absolute ugliest form I've ever seen in my life they still hit workable shots and kicked my 40 year junior rear end. I definitely learned I'm not as good of a putter as I thought I am.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Putting is the part of my game that I can safely say is 100% mental. For drives, iron shots, wedges, I need to have the mentality of "easy tempo, don't do too much". But for putts, if I don't putt like I've got a case of complete loving Gangster Heart, I putt like poo poo.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
It's 940 am, I have a 10 am tee time, and the next person on the tee sheet is at noon. 33 degrees, clear, sunny, no wind. Perfect.

Edit. Never got higher than 38. No wind, sunny, so just some cold hands. Fairways and greens had some real bounce. I love winter golf.

Golf course companion on the 12th hole.

New Clubhouse Construction by B. B., on Flickr

Coyote golf course by B. B., on Flickr

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 6, 2024

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

What’s everyone’s golf resolutions?

I’m wanting to try and play once a month (more in the summer), range twice a week and try and break 95 (currently hovering around 103).

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Re-learn compression or quit because I destroyed my wrists not golfing

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I’m sitting at a 3.3 hdcp right now and I’d love to get down to scratch this year, but I’m not sure if I play enough to do it. I do think the putting change I made last month is going to help my strokes gained putting though, I just need to be a little more consistent in my short game. I forgot how to chip around the greens a few months ago and that was frustrating but the past 3 rounds that feeling has come back so that’s good lol.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Oodles posted:

What’s everyone’s golf resolutions?

I’m wanting to try and play once a month (more in the summer), range twice a week and try and break 95 (currently hovering around 103).

Improve.

I got laid off in November and my neighbor got me into his weekly Wednesday group. I didn’t golf for 18 months (moving, back problems waaah) and my goal is less strokes every time I go out. So far, 106, 101, 98. No group this week but I’m going to try and at least play 9 if I can.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
My "easy" goal is to build back up some club head speed that I've lost over the last couple of years due to, in no particular order: getting older, my trainer moving away and being too lazy to find a new one, shortening my backswing, taking 1/2" off of all of my shafts, ...etc.

I've lost 6-8mph of driver swing speed, but my overall game has gotten so much better at the same time, so I've had no reason/motivation to do anything about it. This year I'm going to get back to working out and doing some speed training and see if I can get the swing speed back up while keeping my handicap where it is (+1), or better.

We'll see how it goes.

Stretch goal is to win the club championship, which is 3 days of stroke play, and -10 won it last year with the top 3 in the gross flight all shooting under par for the 3 days. I came in 4th at +2, which would have won by like 3 shots 4 or 5 years ago, lol. We keep getting more and more freakishly good players in our club, so it's just getting harder to have a shot at low gross, but I figure I've got a few more years where it's possible before I'm resigned to trying to win one of the net flights.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I’ll settle for just getting on the course. My son was born last April, and, let’s just say I’m golfing slightly less now 😂

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Official Tiger leaves Nike

https://www.pgatour.com/article/new...QDzxGepeZt_ED1s

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

It's gonna be odd seeing him on the course all NASCAR'd up like everyone else.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

It's gonna be odd seeing him on the course all NASCAR'd up like everyone else.

Apparently he owns the TW trademark so he can continue to use that with whomever he's signed on with, or even just a TW brand company. He posted that whatever it is we'll see it in LA next month.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Really TaylorMade? Qi10 is the best name you've got?

Was Stealth such a bad name? I thought the Stealth 1 was the biggest seller that year.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

We have the Qi from Taylormade and the Ai from Callaway. Such originality. Much innovation

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I honestly think the Ai Smoke looks ugly too. It feels like a pretty crappy year for drivers - guess I'll stick with my F9 a while longer!

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Kirios posted:

Really TaylorMade? Qi10 is the best name you've got?

Was Stealth such a bad name? I thought the Stealth 1 was the biggest seller that year.

If it doesn’t have a new name, it’s harder to convince people to spend $600 to upgrade from their stealth.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

We have the Qi from Taylormade and the Ai from Callaway. Such originality. Much innovation

Add Ping 430 Max 10k to the list too lol

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Rick Shiels is even hating on the Qi10 - calling it basically a rebadged Stealth 2.

Wonder if they had a ton of overstock they needed to get rid of and they're rebadging it?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I wonder if the COVID golf boom has dried up and 2023 projections didn't live up to expectation.

Anecdotally, 2023 was certainly the least golf I've played since 2020 and I didn't buy anything golf related other than balls/gloves/tees.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Kirios posted:

I honestly think the Ai Smoke looks ugly too. It feels like a pretty crappy year for drivers - guess I'll stick with my F9 a while longer!

Its legit hideous, a real aesthetic (and naming) clown show

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
titleist will probably have new drivers out this year, the TSR series is awesome looking so hopefully whatever's next is also awesome

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

wyoak posted:

titleist will probably have new drivers out this year, the TSR series is awesome looking so hopefully whatever's next is also awesome

The TSR drivers are fantastic clubs. Ball goes an absolute mile and as you’ve mentioned they look great. I’ve got an old 913 that I’ve been considering upgrading to the TSR, but I’m also tempted to wait for the new ones.

Willzilla
Aug 16, 2006

Rawr
I went from 910D2 —> TSR2 and holy poo poo it was worth the overpay at the time

I suspect anything more recent would have elicited the same reaction but the TSRs looked best to my eye so they get the nod

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Willzilla posted:

I went from 910D2 —> TSR2 and holy poo poo it was worth the overpay at the time

I suspect anything more recent would have elicited the same reaction but the TSRs looked best to my eye so they get the nod

Titleist drivers have always been super spinny for me for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Omerta posted:

Titleist drivers have always been super spinny for me for some reason.

Same.

Last time I did a proper driver fitting the Titleist was spinning almost 1k more than the same-year TM/Callaway/Ping drivers and carrying like 20 yards less. Fitter was like, "yeah that just happens with some small % of people I see and it's always the Titliest that does it" and he'd seen it over a couple generations of drivers.

Very strange and a little annoying since I really like the look of their drivers compared to the other brands.