Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

speng31b posted:

brown moses: durrrrrrf i did a journalism on twitterrr hurrrr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I can't imagine failing out of comps once let alone twice. Failing once would have sent me spiraling.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
What's comps? I thought PhDs didn't have tests it was just like "Do a dissertation and don't piss us off and you get a PhD"

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

joepinetree posted:

I know very little of Brown Moses and never interacted with him.

he smells bad

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

cat botherer posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I did a science PhD, and it was also a total waste of time and I wish I dropped out. At least you actually dropped out!

I feel so bad for the grad students at my university. They work like 20x as hard as me but get paid (usually) even less. I could actually do grad school at a discount due to being an employee (we had this one employee in the past who took advantage of this to get his PhD), but I just don't have it in me.

Granted they're actually "doing science," but it seems like so much work just to learn some stuff that, at best, is a tiny stepping stone to some meaningful advancement in the future. It's still admirable and I'm kinda envious of people who genuinely find this stuff interesting enough to enjoy working on it.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

What's comps? I thought PhDs didn't have tests it was just like "Do a dissertation and don't piss us off and you get a PhD"

In the US, because undergraduate programs are less focused and kind of all over the place, grad programs have comprehensive exams to ensure you know the basics of your field and aren't just an expert in your tiny slice of the discipline. So once you finish credits you take a big test in your field to ensure you know the canon. Sometimes people will fail 1st try at comps. That means a chance to retake the same test with additional feedback. Because you can retake it with feedback, I've ever only heard of one case of failing the retakes.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Don't Go to Gradschool

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
my comps consisted of writing an essay over 72 hours for each of my fields and then a 2 hour oral exam where the essays were ripped apart by your comp supervisors. the process varies from school to school and field to field.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Eason the Fifth posted:

Don't Go to Gradschool

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

i dropped out of a humanities phd because it was really dumb to work so hard and have zero chance for it to ever pay off when even a min wage job would make like 3x more than my stipend.

:same: The political science program I was in from 2009-2010 really wanted to turn us into little Nate Silvers. lol lmao

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

speng31b posted:

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

gradenko_2000 posted:

Brown Moses was too stupid to hack it in journalism school

half the expats i come across in istanbul are fresh out of school journalism majors and this might be one of the most slanderous things I've ever read about some one I tell you what

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

joepinetree posted:

It's like that for a lot of these celeb PhDs. I used to be impressed that the lead singer of one of my favorite punk bands, Bad Religion, had a PhD in zoology. Which he managed to get while touring with Bad Religion. I then saw that his dissertation was a survey of religious beliefs of evolutionary biologists (essentially asking if evo biologists believed in god and evolution) and then I understood. Like, if he was a "regular" grad student, doing the lab thing, working on funding, trying to get publications, the whole 9 yards, their advisor would have never signed off on a simplistic survey of "believe in god y/n," or he would have been referred to a theology department to actually grapple with theological questions.

:lol: br ftw

Zedhe Khoja posted:

half the expats i come across in istanbul are fresh out of school journalism majors and this might be one of the most slanderous things I've ever read about some one I tell you what
I have never met this kind of person. I only really met erasmus undergrads and critical bullshit studies grad students who were mostly no different. some of the Arab and Iranian guys were super rich and had been doing undergrad for like 8 years but they were very nice.

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 08:56 on Jan 9, 2024

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

joepinetree posted:

In the US, because undergraduate programs are less focused and kind of all over the place, grad programs have comprehensive exams to ensure you know the basics of your field and aren't just an expert in your tiny slice of the discipline. So once you finish credits you take a big test in your field to ensure you know the canon. Sometimes people will fail 1st try at comps. That means a chance to retake the same test with additional feedback. Because you can retake it with feedback, I've ever only heard of one case of failing the retakes.

What universities can do with the comps too is make them really hard and try and fail most people on purpose. This is done if there are a lot of undergrads that need a cheap TA teaching them, but not a lot of research positions. Can still get two years of teaching out of students that way. Apparently the school I went to used to do that in my department.

edit: since the papers like to whine about colleges so much, has anybody written an op ed complaining about grad student unionization?

Jeff the Mediocre has issued a correction as of 09:03 on Jan 9, 2024

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Jeff the Mediocre posted:

What universities can do with the comps too is make them really hard and try and fail most people on purpose. This is done if there are a lot of undergrads that need a cheap TA teaching them, but not a lot of research positions. Can still get two years of teaching out of students that way. Apparently the school I went to used to do that in my department.

edit: since the papers like to whine about colleges so much, has anybody written an op ed complaining about grad student unionization?

But the point is that most of the time, failing comps doesn't mean kicked out. It might mean "ineligible for funding for not making satisfactory progress" or some such, but it doesn't mean "you can't sign up and pay for additional hours next year."

Regular people would treat running out of funding as "failing out" but rich people paying out of pocket don't. Like, Bialik has mentioned failing comps twice. James Franco by all accounts attends like 1/10 of his phd classes.

If youre paying, unless youre embarrassing the university, you're not getting kicked out. Admins like the tuition money and the prospect of future donations. Professors don't care because they don't have to supervise you or include you in their projects. The bar to completing grad school is very low. The bar to completing grad school with publications and good letters of recommendation to be competitive for jobs as a professor or researcher is pretty high. If you don't care about the latter its very easy to do the former.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

joepinetree posted:

Let's just say that there is a tale in SAL of a prolific poster repeatedly failing their comps. I think people then mistook it for the bar. somehow, but the posts were about comps.

To be clear, there is nothing wrong in dropping out of a PHD program. And getting a PhD doesn't make you particularly smart. A PhD is a credential for a job, not a sign of intelligence or worth.

I am just pointing out that it is super rare to actually get kicked out or fail a PhD program. Most of the time, when someone "fails" out of a Phd program, what it means is that they couldn't secure funding, were told they had no job prospects, and so on. If you are paying out of pocket, they are not going to tell you to stop paying unless it is something really egregious.

It's like that for a lot of these celeb PhDs. I used to be impressed that the lead singer of one of my favorite punk bands, Bad Religion, had a PhD in zoology. Which he managed to get while touring with Bad Religion. I then saw that his dissertation was a survey of religious beliefs of evolutionary biologists (essentially asking if evo biologists believed in god and evolution) and then I understood. Like, if he was a "regular" grad student, doing the lab thing, working on funding, trying to get publications, the whole 9 yards, their advisor would have never signed off on a simplistic survey of "believe in god y/n," or he would have been referred to a theology department to actually grapple with theological questions. But he was a musician first, with no real concerns of getting a tenure track position. So advisor just makes sure its nothing too bad and signs off on it.

Ah, forgot all about the differences between the US and continental euro systems since I'm out of academia. That makes sense. Here you'd mostly have to go to eastern European PHD mills to get a low effort PHD, since PHDs don't really bring in anything except cheap labor.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Getting a PhD is an excellent way to gently caress over your life and general mental wellbeing. It's not worth it. Don't ever do it.

Source: ex started to get a PhD when we were together, current girlfriend finished her PhD while we were together. I hope deeply I never have to date anyone anymore as my current relationship will last, but in case it won't I have sworn a blood oath to myself to never ever date another PhD, student or otherwise.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

speng31b posted:

Just checked the Bellingcat website to see what exciting and original work they're doing documenting the ongoing Gaza genocide and the most prominent Gaza-related article on there was them gravely tutting about how "both sides" are using images from the Syrian civil war to project a false impression of what's happening in Gaza right now.

Their headline article is about how Russian far-right movements are inciting anti-immigration raids by the authorities there, which I guess the Bellingcat guys have judged to be a much more important use of their valuable time.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

mawarannahr posted:

:lol: br ftw

I have never met this kind of person. I only really met erasmus undergrads and critical bullshit studies grad students who were mostly no different. some of the Arab and Iranian guys were super rich and had been doing undergrad for like 8 years but they were very nice.

ive met most of the other (anglo) expats through turkish language courses. the euro expats are mostly what you describe

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Orange Devil posted:

Getting a PhD is an excellent way to gently caress over your life and general mental wellbeing. It's not worth it. Don't ever do it.

Source: ex started to get a PhD when we were together, current girlfriend finished her PhD while we were together. I hope deeply I never have to date anyone anymore as my current relationship will last, but in case it won't I have sworn a blood oath to myself to never ever date another PhD, student or otherwise.

:hmmyes:

Don't go to gradschool

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Shear Modulus posted:

Maybe it was grover

nah, he got a PE to sign off on his house

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Eason the Fifth posted:

Don't Go to Gradschool

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Jeff the Mediocre posted:

What universities can do with the comps too is make them really hard and try and fail most people on purpose.
the year after me in my econ ph.d. program (I know, lol, bear with me) had a macroeconomics exam that had a 0% pass rate

we got two shots at comps, one in june one in august, they were a pair of 3-hour one-sitting exams, one for micro one for macro. first one was stressful on its own, but the august ones were where hope went to die
(you could, theoretically, petition for a retake, repeat your entire first year of classes, and take your third and final shot next june. more on that later.)

the macro teachers decided I guess they hadn't been rigorous enough? so the tests were a lot more... like, precise. lots of "derive this exact model" stuff. lots of regurgitation, lots of very stringent calculus poo poo. real fancy math that has zero real-world application, but they did, technically, teach it all in the class, even if none of us retained it.
my biggest memory of my macro comp the year before this was everyone collectively flipping the paper to see question 3 and every single person softly chuckling simultaneously that they actually put this specific bullshit model on the test (in that "ha ha, I'm in danger" way)
june comes. half the class passes.
august comes. the remaining half retakes. they all fail. then all these people just fuckin left with master's degrees and got jobs at places like the Federal Reserve, easily, which kind of loving implies more skill at macroeconomics (whatever the hell that means) than these test results indicate

couple months later, the next batch of incoming prospective first year students shows up.
me, I don't really mingle in the department much, but always nice to meet the new people, so I go put in an appearance. (hadn't decided to drop out yet. but then I did later.)
chatting with these prospectives I'm casualy just like "yeah literally nobody passed the last macro qual exam. my former roommate failed it and now she's in St. Louis working for the Fed."
some other student pulls me aside after that and was like "[the macro professors] said not to mention that exam"
and sure I hit him with the "whoops. nobody told me." but like lol lmao at least own your deliberate decision to fail out a bunch of people who were all more qualified to be economists than I sure as hell will ever be

bonus story: we did have one person in my year who petitioned for a retake after a double-fail, and get offered it... and then failed again in june, thereby losing his student visa and getting sent back to South America.
he was roughly 10x smarter than me, better grades than me, and obviously 100x more passionate about economics (as you would be, if you were an academically-minded lad from South America - sure do produce a lot of macroeconomists down there, can't imagine what kind of external influences upon them might make it seem like something that's real fuckin important to know about :shrug:)

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Phone posted:

nah, he got a PE to sign off on his house

He got a PE to stamp his drawing submittals to the AHJ, but ultimately the AHJ still had to sign off on it.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Eason the Fifth posted:

Don't Go to Gradschool

Don’t get your BA at a private college either, unless you get a full ride. Having slightly better instruction isn’t worth 40k a year.

But especially don’t go to grad school.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I went to grad school and it was the best decision of my life and I've never been happier. We celebrate all viewpoints.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Eason the Fifth posted:

Don't Go to Gradschool

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

more like GRADE school!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Yeah grad school worked out for me too, thinking it might be a skill issue and definitely not steadily worsening material conditions as manifestations of well-documented systemic exploitation (was going to say failure but the purpose of a system etc.).

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Don’t get your BA at a private college either, unless you get a full ride. Having slightly better instruction isn’t worth 40k a year.

But especially don’t go to grad school.

Whether you're at a private college or a public college, all your profs have PhDs from Harvard and Princeton

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Computer, make a chart of number of op-eds about campus free speech vs grad student unionization in the last 5 years.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

vyelkin posted:

Whether you're at a private college or a public college, all your profs have PhDs from Harvard and Princeton
It's not necessarily all that much harder to get in from a decent state school to Ivy grad programs than from Ivy undergrad. Everyone is well aware that most Ivy undergrads are dumb as poo poo too, and the rich people connections don't count for as much in research programs.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
i happened to grow up in a college town so i got my initial 2 year degree at a community college where all the professors were also employed at one of the 3 "real" ones around, but i still ended up going to one of the really expensive ones for a bachelor like a dipshit

shouldnt let kids make those kinds of decisions imo

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

cat botherer posted:

It's not necessarily all that much harder to get in from a decent state school to Ivy grad programs than from Ivy undergrad. Everyone is well aware that most Ivy undergrads are dumb as poo poo too, and the rich people connections don't count for as much in research programs.

A striver friend of mine got into Harvard (with only a few weak connections). Being surrounded by dumbass legacy failchildren was one of the biggest crack ping moments of her life.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

This website should be a degree-granting institution. Jeffrey?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

now do "civilians"

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

my favorite article that i have read about the conflict was this american lady who moved to israel to work on a kibbutz calling herself a refugee because of the 10/7 attacks

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/2023/12/28/nj-survivor-israel-hamas-war-attack-trauma/71877866007/

quote:

Today, Gilberg is among the roughly 240,000 Israelis who have been displaced from their homes by the terror attack and the ongoing conflict in Gaza, which has killed about 20,000 Palestinians. Gilberg is living with friends in a house south of Jerusalem, where she hopes she will have fewer nightmares, despite periodic rocket attacks and bouts of terrorism. Like many of her former neighbors, she is unsure what her future holds

"The attack has changed me," Gilberg said in a recent phone interview. "I'm still healing. I still haven't fully accepted that I'm a refugee now. I don't know when I can go back to my home."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

lol you really need to read the whole thing.

quote:

For Gilberg, it's a long way from the sense of idealism that drew her from the New Jersey suburbs, half a world away.

Gilberg grew up in a Reform Jewish family in Livingston that emphasized a love of Jewish tradition and of Israel. After a full day at public school, she would attend Hebrew school. She was particularly inspired by her Orthodox aunt and cousins - who were proud Zionists - and with whom she was close.

After graduating from Rutgers in 2019 with a degree in visual arts, Gilberg moved to Israel. Once there, she joined the army, figuring it would help her acclimate to Israeli society and learn Hebrew. She served as a photographer and video editor for the international social media team in the Israel Defense Forces' public relations unit.

She also joined a garin, a small group of foreign soldiers who lived together on Kibbutz Erez and created a family of their own while serving in the military together. Gilberg quickly fell in love with the quiet and natural beauty of the desert village.

She completed her army service two years ago and opted to remain on the kibbutz, where she had grown close with the tight-knit community.

"It was my happy place," she said.