Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Precambrian Video Games posted:

lol you really need to read the whole thing.

Lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

AnimeIsTrash posted:

my favorite article that i have read about the conflict was this american lady who moved to israel to work on a kibbutz calling herself a refugee because of the 10/7 attacks
I am a political refugee

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

her home was destroyed by her own government in a politically motivated-razing. i don't see how she isn't an internally-displaced refugee :smugbert:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Hedge fund manager told Joi Ito to keep his wife's name out of Jeffrey Epstein saga

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

Just checked the Bellingcat website to see what exciting and original work they're doing documenting the ongoing Gaza genocide and the most prominent Gaza-related article on there was them gravely tutting about how "both sides" are using images from the Syrian civil war to project a false impression of what's happening in Gaza right now.

Their headline article is about how Russian far-right movements are inciting anti-immigration raids by the authorities there, which I guess the Bellingcat guys have judged to be a much more important use of their valuable time.

lazy cia rear end noobs like brown moses cant do a journalism unless a bunch of guys with names like Langl3y69 and OSfukboint tweet them pictures of craters....sad

speng31b
May 8, 2010

my favorite brown moses doing a journalism moment was equating "the local authorities treated our inquiries with suspicion" as "theyre hiding evidence of a hamas false flag hospital bombing." dumb cia rear end bitch

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

speng31b posted:

dumb cia rear end bitch

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Parting the red cheeks :gas:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

speng31b posted:

dumb cia rear end bitch

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Ackman continues to melt down with a hilariously long post

https://twitter.com/BillAckman/status/1745251911471612175

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

Ackman continues to melt down with a hilariously long post

https://twitter.com/BillAckman/status/1745251911471612175

lol

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

your emails could have LITERALLY KILLED my wife

https://twitter.com/jathansadowski/status/1745291661708759359

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

So it's a Death Note...? :thunk:

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/RedAppleCringe/status/1744981174983028953

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
When that youtuber was caught plagiarizing last year, their only recourse was the delete everything and shut it the gently caress down

But this dude is a billionaire, so when his wife gets caught we get this.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

sometimes people just get hit in the head by bullets. nothing you can do about an act of god

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/1745258418427019353?t=KN9COBgeCxE8hJFGAKxv_Q&s=19

lmao

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
They didn't mess with the woman John Wick loved though. They messed with his dog.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

"I know what will fix this once and for all... One More Post"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I like the bit where he's like "yeah then I called up the CEO of Business Insider to get these people fired"

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

too burger for the p/i thread.......

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The best part of the long rear end Ackman post is

quote:

To be clear, Neri did not use Wikipedia as a source, but only for the definitions of 15 words and/or terms for her dissertation.

"She did not use wikipedia as a source, except for the parts where she used it as a source"

and

quote:

As a side note, what are the chances that Business Insider examined the MIT handbook "as far back as 2007" and did not notice that there was no requirement to cite Wikipedia nor was it even mentioned until April 4, 2013

"The antiplagiarism policy said nothing of plagiarizing from wikipedia."

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

now normalize it as usage count per dead civilian

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

the best part of that post is not reading it, what a nutjob

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

fart simpson posted:

sometimes people just get hit in the head by bullets. nothing you can do about an act of god

A bullet-involved collision

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

her happy place

quote:

During the 1948 Arab-Israeli war, the women and children of Dimra were reportedly evacuated by the village men on 31 October, likely in response to the advance of the Israeli army.[23]

Following the war the area was incorporated into the State of Israel and kibbutz Erez was founded in 1949 on part of the village site.[8] The remaining structures of the village are described by Khalidi in All That Remains (1992):

"Most of the village is fenced in and used as pasture. A crumbling stone water basin, concrete rubble from houses, and a destroyed well are nearly all that remain. A watering trough for cows has been placed on what appears to be a concrete fragment from a former house. The well is topped with an old, nonoperating water pump. More debris lies in a wooded portion of the site, near a Jewish cemetery. Some cactuses that formerly served as fences, as well as shrubs and thorny plants, grow on adjacent lands.[8]

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

if i were a high profile billionaire i would simply not melt down in public

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

That’s why he’s a high profile billionaire and you’re not

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Shear Modulus posted:

Twitter + Billionaire = Entertainment for the rest of us

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

poisonpill posted:

Twitter + Billionaire = Entertainment for the rest of us
the real power of billionaires is that they can graduate from class clown to world clown, and there's nothing anyone can do to stop them

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
It owns that these people have so few actual concerns or problems or anything like that since it means not being universally loved becomes a life or death event. Wealth gives you actual brain flaws.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

joepinetree posted:

The best part of the long rear end Ackman post is

"She did not use wikipedia as a source, except for the parts where she used it as a source"

and

"The antiplagiarism policy said nothing of plagiarizing from wikipedia."

Oh my God he admit it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

A Buttery Pastry posted:

the real power of billionaires is that they can graduate from class clown to world clown, and there's nothing anyone can do to stop them

submarines, my friend. it is the age of the Hacker News submarine for billionaires

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
an analysis of Oxman's paper. I don't quite agree with this person's take on President Gay's removal, but the criticism of Oxman's work itself is scathing.

code:
https://twitter.com/MelancholyYuga/status/1745333692749304180

quote:

So I finally indulged my curiosity about l'affaire Oxman and spent five minutes browsing her dissertation. The problems with it are, if anything, way worse than seem to have been reported.

(And to lay my own cards on the table I think it's basically fine what happened to Gay, save that it would have been better for all parties involved if it had been nipped in the bud years earlier.)

I didn't use any special plagiarism software, and I wasn't even particularly looking for it, I was just putzing around. But sometimes the writing style would abruptly would take a 90 degree turn, so I'd google and find the original source immediately. Twice in five minutes. The real issue, which is harder to appreciate let alone concisely relate without a technical background, is that there appears to be no original technical content. In a 330 page document with "Computation" right there in the title, there are ten equations. None of them are original work, one of them (for Euclidean distance [!]) is typoed so bizarrely it looks like it was written by an alien.

(I don't care about typoes per se but in the context of the rest of the dissertation it's notable that it reads like the *kind* of typo that would be really weird to make if you were comfortable with math, or if you looked it over once before submitting.)

There are also things like random figures copypasta'd from papers from the 80's (happily, cited this time) that are never discussed or referred to in the main text. Phase diagrams for metal alloys from other papers are presented without comment, in a dissertation that otherwise makes no mention of phase diagrams, alloys, or even the subject of metallurgy, excepting a brief and abrupt digression about samurai swords [!] Similarly, there's an impressionistic and entirely verbal gloss of Riemannian manifolds and metric tensors that comes out of nowhere and disappears just as quickly. They are never mentioned again.

In one of the most technical passages of the work I found, which concerns, like, the vibe of constructing Voronoi diagrams on manifolds, Oxman seems to come close to suggesting that differential geometry might be a thing people could study. But the thought is quickly dropped.

Practically, it's not really a matter of forgetting a few punctuation marks (as I was led to believe). The cumulative effect of the volume of plagiarism and general disorganization of thought is that it's quite difficult to tell what Oxman wrote, let alone understood, at all. So AFAICT there is basically no original technical content, and much to suggest that Oxman isn't well-acquainted enough with the fields she draws upon to even fake it convincingly.

(To be fair there are some photos of funky sculpture-type-things, and the aesthetic is consistent enough to make me believe that one unique individual actually did all of them rather than ransack google images. Let's assume it was Oxman.)

But after looking into this for five minutes, the plagiarism issue seems more like busting Al Capone for tax evasion.

The real issue is that there's just no there there, and if you read it with any technical background it feels like that scene from The Shining.

More, the issues with the dissertation are so clear and unignorable that you have to wonder what was going on with her committee during the years they were supervising her. Like even if you cynically assume that her committee members farmed out the review process to F1-visa grad students, you have to think the grad student would immediately write back: "u sent wrong file?"

I mean, I did my doctorate at an institution rather less swanky than the Media Lab, and I'm pretty sure my committee would have just stopped talking to me if I turned in something like this.

Didn't imagine myself ever saying this but the sketchiness of the dissertation is actually more cut and dried than the whole "fashioning orbs for Jeffrey Epstein" thing, the latter of which at least had some kind of plausible deniability.

Anyway, if you wonder whether I'm being unfair in my characterization of the work and want to read it yourself, it's here: https://dspace.mit.edu/handle/1721.1/59192

But the defense that "it was a different time, man" is even more bizarre, because it wasn't.

I didn't grow up in a household with two professors, but in my mediocre public schools we got a plagiarism lecture at least once a year from such time as we were capable of committing it

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

If her thesis is bullshit why does it have 200+ citations, and also a thought-provoking podcast with Lex Fridman:

quote:

i feel like she’s from the future

quote:

I should give it another listen as well! Did this podcast make anyone else think of Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson?

Hard to pick a favorite, they covered so much fertile ground. The concept of empowering nature is powerful, and of course the power of love. Her and Lex had beautiful chemistry.

I was intrigued and moved by Lex thanking her for noticing him, and the power of human connection juxtaposed with the experience of loneliness.

quote:

She said many things I have always wondered many times . It was a beautiful interview and I adore her passion for love, life and nature. She is one of the first people I have seen who talks about love and connections as much as I do. I too ama systems thinker so I connected with everything she was into. I will definitely be following more of her. I have some learning to do over the next few weeks to catch up. But I am in. Love -It is the point of everything. The 🌹.

quote:

" Intelligence is the ability to problem solve and adapt and translate. From data to information to knowledge. The next frontier is wisdom. Wisdom is the ability to find insight about the world. And from wisdom to spiritual awareness, which sort of transcends wisdom and is able to chart the world into new territory. "

quote:

"There's water and there's love. What else do you need?"

quote:

How can we incrntivize the earth to, in a mutually beneficial way, grow cars?

What a great episode.

quote:

That's nonsense. What does that even mean?

She's just asking nonsensical questions. Why does everyone here think she is so profound?

quote:

"Imagine grown roads to replace asphalt"

I haven't listened to the episode yet (will do that now), but I love this concept, and there's already many cool implementations. Like the streetcars and trams in Europe going over greenways. Or roofs on top of skyscrapers to reduce the heat island effect. I've also seen some interesting green parking lot prototypes on TikTok (only problem with those was they used soft plastic to create a space for grass to go through, and for cars to drive on, so it wouldn't be great for PFA pollution). But in any case, more greenery please!

I will not listen to the podcast now.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
lmao lex

must have been a real meeting of the minds

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/MichelleDixy/status/1745715866358960497

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Has no one pointed out that about 90% of dissertations are box checking bullshit?