Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I just watched the Lone Wolf and Cub series this past year so I don't think I'd spend the $$$ to buy it right now, but yea if I'd blind-bought that set I would've been extremely happy with the decision. Just a very consistently entertaining series, they hit on a great formula right from the beginning and kept it going all the way through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Lone Wolf and Cub is so good. Even the American compilation edit (Shogun Assassin) is great, if only for the soundtrack.

It’s kinda funny that the lead, Tomisaburō Wakayama, is Shintaro Katsu’s older brother. Zatoichi Meets Lone Wolf & Cub would have been an incredible crossover, I’m surprised it didn’t happen.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Lone Wolf and Cub is so good. Even the American compilation edit (Shogun Assassin) is great, if only for the soundtrack.

It’s kinda funny that the lead, Tomisaburō Wakayama, is Shintaro Katsu’s older brother. Zatoichi Meets Lone Wolf & Cub would have been an incredible crossover, I’m surprised it didn’t happen.

I think the booklet in LW&C talks about this

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Gripweed posted:

I'm crushed to discover the movie's not actually called that

Looks like it was released under that title in at least some areas. It's true enough for my heart

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The worst part about LW&C is that they never finished the series.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Wife loves cats so I figured we could watch the Cat Series shorts last night. Started with the shortest one, wife got a bit upset about the cat since it appears to have a skeletal or neurological disease. OK fine, let's put on The Perils of Priscilla, that sounds like a fun and short Incredible Journey-like!

First few minutes: man this is reminding me of Skinamarink, well at least the cat isn't in eternal hell, I don't see the door disappearing.
A bit further, wife: Run Priscilla, get away from those sprinklers and dogs!
Around minute 10: uh, this cat is covering some serious ground if she's in the LA River.
Ending, wife now crying: the family shows up at the end, right?

Made possible with a grant from the Pasadena Humane Society.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Well the Bruce Lee set is off a great start. I don't know what more you can ask out of a movie than Bruce Lee getting shitfaced on Hennessey, waking up in a brothel, and later hitting a guy so hard he goes through the side of a building and leaves a cartoon outline of his own body in the wall.

Crescent Wrench fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 3, 2024

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

The Bruce Lee set rules. It's how I watched Way Of The Dragon for the first time and realized it's what every single fighting game ever made is trying to be.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
The Scorsese Shorts set is brilliant. It's impossible how he started throwing around stuff of this quality straight outta film school, goddamn.

Has there been any rumblings of Killers of the Flower Moon getting the Criterion treatment?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I, Butthole posted:

The Scorsese Shorts set is brilliant. It's impossible how he started throwing around stuff of this quality straight outta film school, goddamn.

Has there been any rumblings of Killers of the Flower Moon getting the Criterion treatment?

Coincidentally I just watched How did a pretty girl like you end up here?. Incredible just how much the early Italian and French New Wave rubbed off on him while he was in school. Not a great film, but you can see greatness in it.

No idea about KOTFM, I'm surprised Apple hasn't decided to make their own Prestige Imprint as another way to cement the brand with Luxury and High Class.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Coincidentally I just watched How did a pretty girl like you end up here?. Incredible just how much the early Italian and French New Wave rubbed off on him while he was in school. Not a great film, but you can see greatness in it.

No idea about KOTFM, I'm surprised Apple hasn't decided to make their own Prestige Imprint as another way to cement the brand with Luxury and High Class.

Apple hasn’t even given a physical release to the movie that won Best Picture two years ago

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Apple is not in the movie making business. They are in the selling computer hardware business. Their services, which Apple TV+ and the iTunes movie store are part of, help drive hardware sales. Selling DVDs doesn't help them at all.

That said, it's possible the studios they partnered with for KOTFM or Napoleon could do some sort of physical release but I have no idea on the actual details of the arrangements they made with Apple.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They sell watches and credit cards.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Gaius Marius posted:

They sell watches and credit cards.

The watches are hardware and they also require an iPhone in order to use them. The credit card is new-ish and part of their services which feed hardware sales. If you go to their store web site, it's heavily pushed as a way to make interest free installment plan purchases on their hardware. It has other perks for sure but I think its main purpose is to keep you in their ecosystem. The card itself has an uncertain future since their current partner on the card wants out.

edit: but that's all getting away from the topic here. I'd love a physical release for some of their movies and even TV shows, but that is highly unlikely to ever happen.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jan 3, 2024

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

The watches are hardware and they also require an iPhone in order to use them. The credit card is new-ish and part of their services which feed hardware sales. If you go to their store web site, it's heavily pushed as a way to make interest free installment plan purchases on their hardware. It has other perks for sure but I think its main purpose is to keep you in their ecosystem. The card itself has an uncertain future since their current partner on the card wants out.

edit: but that's all getting away from the topic here. I'd love a physical release for some of their movies and even TV shows, but that is highly unlikely to ever happen.

I don't disagree that we are getting away from the topic but it should be said. Apple is not a trillion dollar company because it sells Hardware, Samsung is a hardware company, and it's not a trillion dollar company because it sells Software, MSFT is a software company. It is a trillion dollar company because it sells an identity, it is the only tech company that is also a luxury company, it has blended the trappings of LVMH and MSFT. A prestige line of blu-rays doesn't fit in their specialty as much as an e-watch does, but it does just as much as a car does.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Apple hasn’t even given a physical release to the movie that won Best Picture two years ago

Let's be fair, they forgot about it just like everyone else did the second after the Oscars happened.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Let's be fair, they forgot about it just like everyone else did the second after the Oscars happened.

and to be extra fair, i'm still unconvinced it actually exists

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The Irishman got a pretty quick Criterion turnaround, so maybe within the next year...?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That was Netflix though and they have a deal with Criterion. Apple as far as we know have nothing like that.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Escobarbarian posted:

That was Netflix though and they have a deal with Criterion. Apple as far as we know have nothing like that.

The Velvet Underground doc is an Apple thing

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

The Velvet Underground doc is an Apple thing

While it was coproduced, it was surprisingly licensed from Polygram Records instead of Apple. Given that Criterion has already dealt with Netflix and Amazon on a bunch of titles, I can see them working with Apple. Though, really just The Tragedy of Macbeth seems likely, depending on whether Paramount is handling Killers of the Flower Moon and Napoleon themselves.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Which Russel’s are recommended? I’ve only seen the Lair of the White Snake and that was a lot of fun.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Altered States

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

checkplease posted:

Which Russel’s are recommended? I’ve only seen the Lair of the White Snake and that was a lot of fun.

The Devils is essential. I love Gothic but it’s polarizing. Altered States is good. Mahler is wild.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Women in Love is a blast. I first saw it when I had accidentally been watching a bunch of Alan Bates films. Seems to be one of those actors that's great in everything he ever did. Oliver Reed could occasionally make some stinkers, too, but also never the reason why a movie sucks.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Tommy rules pretty hard.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

checkplease posted:

my simple answer is

The Devils
Women In Love
The Boy Friend
Altered States
The Music Lovers
Mahler

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
March releases:

To Die For (4K)
Saint Omer
The Runner
All That Money Can Buy (The Devil and Daniel Webster)
All the Beauty and the Bloodshed

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

On-Gaku/Our Sound is leaving the channel this month. Cute little anime movie about a group of numbskulls starting a band. Great music, very funny, and less than 90 minutes. I love this little movie.

Also Doom Generation is leaving this month and I’ve never seen a Gregg Araki movie. I gotta catch that one.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

The Doom Generation was one of my favorite watches of last year and it's all thanks to the Criterion Channel that I watched it at all. I was actually using it to fall asleep to the other day - there's so much about it that's really weirdly hypnotic. I really hope they get that 4K version on disc soon.

Thanks for the On-Gaku recommendation! I'll check it out.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Yeah, Doom Generation is great and whenever you have the chance to see Nowhere: do.

There's so many good movies on right now, I'm excited to catch The Devils for the first time.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Just watched the Devils. Wild stuff, I think I might be into Ken Russel’s style.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

On-Gaku is so fun. I've never seen a movie about the joy of music that comes down so strongly on the idea that you never ever have to get good, or even try to get good, to enjoy making music.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We Are the Best! is great in that same way

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

checkplease posted:

Just watched the Devils. Wild stuff, I think I might be into Ken Russel’s style.

Such a good film. Incredible production design and casting, and all around just very politically relevant.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
The Devils rules and its a crime that WB have kept it vaulted for so long.

I'm at the end of my holiday break so I've been binging my Christmas blind buys. Scorsese Shorts is essential, and After Hours was a great surprise - funny and weird as hell. The Samurai Trilogy was good, super pretty (although has nothing on Kurosawa, obvs) but dunno whether I was a fan of the pacing. Didn't vibe with The Others.

Got Mean Streets, Le Samourai, The Trial, and The Infernal Affairs trilogy next.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
On-Gaku is loving great. Add 10 years to all the characters and you'd have an Aki Kaurismäki movie.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Just watched The Heroic Trio on the channel, which is one of the new releases coming to physical soon. I was expecting a fun movie based on the three leads but this was an absolute blast from beginning to end with a fantastic ending. Way funnier than I expected. The music made it seem like an FMV game and the lighting made me think of Joel Schumacher. Just a great mix of martial arts and superhero silliness. Can't wait to watch Executioners some time.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

First western on the criterion channel suggested to me I will watch. It better be good!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

First western on the criterion channel suggested to me I will watch. It better be good!!

Dead Man