Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Milo and POTUS posted:

....is this the music from workaholics?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Techno Remix posted:

I did see a picture from GeoWorks which is getting really close to what I remember (with the big clickable icons). I remember them being more rectangular but this is at least 30 years on so any memories are really fuzzy.

I don’t think so? Then again, I wasn’t paying a whole lot of attention to computer stuff as a kid. At best I can remember a large grey button with a C:\> icon on it (maybe in green?). I was a pretty dumb kid so there’s probably at least three different things mashed together in this vague memory.

Does this ring any bells?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I saw a webcomic once of a person but the next frame was xrayed and the man was a bunch of monkeys in a people suit. Then one of those monkeys was a bunch of dogs in a monkey suit and then one of the dogs was like squirrels in a dog suit. There's some dialogue too but it's just the animals saying to be quiet to each other.

I'm not correct on the animals but that's the gist.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Super-NintendoUser posted:

I saw a webcomic once of a person but the next frame was xrayed and the man was a bunch of monkeys in a people suit. Then one of those monkeys was a bunch of dogs in a monkey suit and then one of the dogs was like squirrels in a dog suit. There's some dialogue too but it's just the animals saying to be quiet to each other.

This one?
There might be a continuation somewhere but I can't find it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i was just talking with a guy at work, reminiscing about east coast television in our youths, and he mentioned something i had never heard about, so I'm trying to find more info

according to his memories, WWOR 9 and WPIX 11 once did an experimental simulcast where you could set up two tvs next to each other, one tuned to each station, and watch some kind of video involving both screens

he remembers specifically flipping the dial back and forth on his household's one tv to watch a ball bouncing back and forth from one channel to the other

he does not remember the name of the program, only that it ran late at night.

ringing any bells?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Given the station names, you'd think he'd never forget

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I can’t help, but I was just reminded of that guy with a bunch of dollar bills hanging from his hat who was on Saturday mornings. I miss him.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Hachi machi!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

it took me a moment

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

rockinricky posted:

Does this ring any bells?

For some reason it still doesn’t feel 100% right but I think it’s the closest I’m getting to what I remember. It has the name I remember (I keep seeing “GEOS” in my head) and the buttons complete with a green C: prompt, so I’m going to believe this had to be it and all the other details I “remember” are fuzzed up from decades of neglect.

I appreciate y’all’s help on this journey through poorly-remembered ancient tech.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Techno Remix posted:

I appreciate y’all’s help on this journey through poorly-remembered ancient tech.

We do have two threads dedicated to old tech if you fancy giving them a try as well. Plus YOSPOS, which might be the most likely to know, but it's also YOSPOS.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
Optimistically reposting:

china bot posted:

I've been trying to find a short story about a designer of extremely complex and artsy roller coasters whose works turn more horrific in response to their audience's rejection of a much more personal piece. Read it once and never forgot it, but never got the name of the story or the author and have found it ungoogleable thus far.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
I'm trying to find a webpage I liked, from years back.

It was a homepage of a university professor, in the classic HTML-coded-in-Notepad style. Pretty sure the font was Comic Sans.

He was a US-based professor of (I think) improv jazz, with (again, I think) a big bushy beard. The page was basically a syllabus for his courses, and had a list of rules and things to remember about learning music. One of them was that anyone can participate in the great art of making music, no matter what their level. I remember really liking this list and just wish I could find it again.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

An old cartoon I watched some time in the early to mid 90s I think. It was about a young duck, or goose, who may have been a prince, and I think his family is killed early on? I remember thinking it was very sad. The duck travels through the countryside to do... something. There was famous classical music for the score. I actually heard one of the pieces of music today and it made some neurons fire for the first time in 30 years to bring back this vague memory and drive me crazy.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Peter and the Wolf?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZX_fuAcS58

It's only kinda sorta like what you described.

databasic
Jan 8, 2024
i am the white whale in my story, because i am obese, pasty, and elusive. i have it all tbh.

Edit: Oh, you meant the 'Moby Dick' kind. One time in elementary school, I was visiting a relative in the hospital. There was a TV on that showed a scene with some guy betraying someone. The guy literally peeled part of his cheek off and I had never seen anything like it, and it horrified and scarred me for years. I had never seen gory prosthetics before and avoided watching things like that for years. I will not gain any psychological comfort by finding the source.

databasic fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 9, 2024

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

wash bucket posted:

Peter and the Wolf?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZX_fuAcS58

It's only kinda sorta like what you described.

No definitely not, there miiight have been humans in the story but it wasn't as Disneyfied. I wish I knew the name of the music I heard that I know was in the cartoon. All string instruments, very upbeat I guess. This might actually be the thing that drives me insane.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Biplane posted:

An old cartoon I watched some time in the early to mid 90s I think. It was about a young duck, or goose, who may have been a prince, and I think his family is killed early on? I remember thinking it was very sad. The duck travels through the countryside to do... something. There was famous classical music for the score. I actually heard one of the pieces of music today and it made some neurons fire for the first time in 30 years to bring back this vague memory and drive me crazy.

Alfred J Quack?

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015
There was a young adult book I read maybe in the late 80s or very early 90s about a group of kids who use their family computer to summon a volcano demon into a school science fair baking soda volcano project. It starts as a fun joke / game but turns out they summon an actual demon that they then have to figure out how to get rid of the demon, I believe.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Oh my god dude, thank you, yeah this is it although I think I saw it dubbed in norwegian. And specifically I was remembering another episode but yes holy poo poo. Oh god his family poor Alfred :(

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I'm impressed someone zeroed that in so quickly because it turns out "90s cartoon about a duck" describes a LOT of cartoons.

databasic
Jan 8, 2024

wash bucket posted:

I'm impressed someone zeroed that in so quickly because it turns out "90s cartoon about a duck" describes a LOT of cartoons.

This is unreasonably correct.

databasic
Jan 8, 2024
There are two more white whales on my horizon.

1. SA Comedy Goldmine thread "Bring me the strangest fanart"
2. A goon's (iirc his name was Bruiser) 1940's broadcaster-style readings of the worst erotic fanfiction other goons could find. Iirc they were hosted on a site like mediafire so they weren't available within a couple of years of posting (which did not do them justice).

I am not ashamed to admit that I peed myself laughing at both of these things on MULTIPLE occasions. I would be unreasonably willing to negotiate my own self-worth to be able to listen to the second item on demand an infinite number of times for the rest of my life.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

wash bucket posted:

Yeah but the rest of the description is very Alfred J. Quack.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Biplane posted:

Oh my god dude, thank you, yeah this is it although I think I saw it dubbed in norwegian. And specifically I was remembering another episode but yes holy poo poo. Oh god his family poor Alfred :(

https://haraldsiepermann.com/harald-siepermann-archive/
The guy who created this character died tragically young, he was one of my favorite cartoonists/animation artists :smith:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Neon Noodle posted:

https://haraldsiepermann.com/harald-siepermann-archive/
The guy who created this character died tragically young, he was one of my favorite cartoonists/animation artists :smith:

That blows :smith:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

databasic posted:

There are two more white whales on my horizon.

1. SA Comedy Goldmine thread "Bring me the strangest fanart"
2. A goon's (iirc his name was Bruiser) 1940's broadcaster-style readings of the worst erotic fanfiction other goons could find. Iirc they were hosted on a site like mediafire so they weren't available within a couple of years of posting (which did not do them justice).

I am not ashamed to admit that I peed myself laughing at both of these things on MULTIPLE occasions. I would be unreasonably willing to negotiate my own self-worth to be able to listen to the second item on demand an infinite number of times for the rest of my life.

I can do you an ungoldmined return of the weirdest fanart thread if that helps? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3526724

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013

databasic posted:

There was a TV on that showed a scene with some guy betraying someone. The guy literally peeled part of his cheek off and I had never seen anything like it, and it horrified and scarred me for years. I had never seen gory prosthetics before and avoided watching things like that for years. I will not gain any psychological comfort by finding the source.

That might be a scene in Nightbreed, where a guy uses a pair of thumb hooks to carve into his face. He lives and is turned into a Nightbreed.

databasic
Jan 8, 2024

Cannibal Smiley posted:

That might be a scene in Nightbreed, where a guy uses a pair of thumb hooks to carve into his face. He lives and is turned into a Nightbreed.

Thank you, but no. The vibe of the scene was absolutely a daytime soap. While I didn't see what happened before that, it was definitely not sci fi. (It was daytime on TV at a hospital and the person I was visiting was definitely not into sci fi.)

Runcible Cat posted:

I can do you an ungoldmined return of the weirdest fanart thread if that helps? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3526724

Thank you for this. I look forward to perusing every page like the original 'Strangest Fanart' thread.

The biggest thing for me is probably the erotic fanfiction readings that quite literally caused me to urinate myself laughing and I have no shame in admitting that. They deserve that level of acclaim/humiliation.

databasic fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 11, 2024

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

databasic posted:

Thank you, but no. The vibe of the scene was absolutely a daytime soap. While I didn't see what happened before that, it was definitely not sci fi. (It was daytime on TV at a hospital and the person I was visiting was definitely not into sci fi.)

Circa early 90s Young and the Restless had a storyline of one of the main characters having a husband/boyfriend who was going through cosmetic surgery to look different to get back into their lives and kill them or something.

The two things I seem to remember was that at some point the surgery someone did on them was a success, but also someone else did a surgery on them and decided to carve them up really good and I think left the word 'murderer' on their face with a scar. It's possible this was part of that storyline.

However, depending on the time and place, it COULD have been a sci-fi. I seem to recall for years that WGN would play random shows during their morning/afternoon slots to fill out time during the 90s and 00s. The original 80s "V" TV series kind of had a prime-time soap opera feel and probably was right in there between reruns of Dukes of Hazard and In The Heat of The Night.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
A soap opera that was on air in the 90s and had an episode about a house burning down

(that's all I know 🙃)

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

A soap opera that was on air in the 90s and had an episode about a house burning down

(that's all I know 🙃)

Passions?

E: that was more like late 90s-early 2000s though

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

databasic posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3167259 but yeah they were on tindeck so you're at the mercy of whether archive.org manages to serve them up (also you'll need to view source to get the links because they're supposed to be the tindeck-hosted image links)

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Hopefully this will be easy for someone. I swear I've seen either a gif or a video of the making of one of the Star Wars prequels, with the cast (Ewan Macgregor, Natalie Portman etc) all standing around in front of a green screen filming a group fight scene that clearly has no choreography, they're just waving their light sabers at nothing. Unfortunately all my search terms aren't helping!

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
This one?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There’s a similar scene where Natalie Portman and Hayden Christiansen are on a conveyor belt, and it’s obvious they were just told to jump around and duck randomly and the animators would just draw poo poo in based on whatever they did.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

That's it! Thanks heaps

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

(that's all I know 🙃)

There were a lot of soaps in the 1990s and probably most of them had multiple fire storylines.

You have 300+ episodes per year of a melodrama. Fires, car accidents, shootings and coming back from the dead happen way more often than they probably should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
There's an episode of Whose Line is it Anyway? (US) where, after some skit, Drew Carey just shouts "Points! Grab the points!" and all four of the contestants pretend to grab flying objects out of thin air. I can't find it and easily I'm not rewatching the entire series just to track it down so I'm really hoping someone here just randomly know this :shobon: