Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

DandyLion posted:

They would train them from a young age to be desensitized to the very things that we joke about today. There are medieval training bridles and other kit bedecked in bells and jangly metal bits so the animal is forced to experience life where ANY motion makes a racket. Presumably the horses that didn't chill out weren't selected for mount duty...
Can we desensitize them to ants?

e:
https://i.imgur.com/YqoZXEd.mp4

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Splorange posted:

They're panicky herd animals that will die of colic for literally no reason.. usually the more expensive it is, the likelier it is it will die within a week. If its not colic, it will break its leg.. which is also a really long finger. They might forget who you are if you move from their one side to the other. They also sweat and fart like sailors.

People used to ride them into battle, how the gently caress that happened or occurred to anyone, is beyond me.

Partly it was because people back then lived around horses and were comfortable with them much the same way that you and I today live around cars and mechanized equipment and are comfortable with them. People generally had a good idea how to care for and act around a horse and what would break them. Likewise the infrastructure was organized to care for them, while today it's organized to care for internal combustion engines.

There's also the fact that what we generally kept around mainly show horses and such. The working breeds that were hardier (but still horses) tended not to continue being bred nearly as much as the noble's pet ridey horses. So there's a lot less of those these days.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Later in history they would fire guns hear horses ears during training. If it can't get used to it, than its not fit for combat.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

LifeSunDeath posted:

I like how none of the jets of water can even reach the flames.

It's fine, eventually it'll burn down to something more reachable.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Alkydere posted:

Partly it was because people back then lived around horses and were comfortable with them much the same way that you and I today live around cars and mechanized equipment and are comfortable with them. People generally had a good idea how to care for and act around a horse and what would break them. Likewise the infrastructure was organized to care for them, while today it's organized to care for internal combustion engines.

There's also the fact that what we generally kept around mainly show horses and such. The working breeds that were hardier (but still horses) tended not to continue being bred nearly as much as the noble's pet ridey horses. So there's a lot less of those these days.

Yeah, no doubt. Been around them myself and they can be some goofy goobery fuckers too, i just buy rescue dogs but if I was like a gazillionaire - I'd definitely keep horses.. or more accurately, pay someone to keep them and do something safe like horse archery.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Splorange posted:

Yeah, no doubt. Been around them myself and they can be some goofy goobery fuckers too, i just buy rescue dogs but if I was like a gazillionaire - I'd definitely keep horses.. or more accurately, pay someone to keep them and do something safe like horse archery.

Why would you shoot horses with arrows?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

SyNack Sassimov posted:

easier than handling a bunch of ants

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021
The Colossus Code breaker seem like it has a few OSHA unapproved open pullies. "Stumpy the Codebreaker" says hi.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/01/new-images-of-secret-nazi-busting-computer-emerge-on-80th-anniversary/

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They have a replica at Bletchley Park (which is now a museum), it's pretty impressive in person

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Harry_Potato posted:

The Colossus Code breaker seem like it has a few OSHA unapproved open pullies. "Stumpy the Codebreaker" says hi.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/01/new-images-of-secret-nazi-busting-computer-emerge-on-80th-anniversary/

Long flowing clothes around open pulleys doesn't seem like the best idea.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Anderson Koopa posted:

Long flowing clothes around open pulleys doesn't seem like the best idea.

You have to follow the 1940's safety principle of "look, just don't get caught in the machine and it's fine".

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

The pulleys just have some paper tape on them. If you get your clothes jammed into that, it'll just tear the paper tape. Or the worst paper cut ever, but it's not some kind of drive belt system.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Look Ma! I caught a Fwaggle!

This is what happens when first year graduate students instruct chem 101 lab 100% of the time.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Now to get your moonshine to 159 proof you have to *dies in an avoidable fuel-air explosion*

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Sekenr posted:

Later in history they would fire guns hear horses ears during training. If it can't get used to it, than its not fit for combat.

Can't get scared of hearing a gunshot if you can't hear anymore

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

PainterofCrap posted:

Found another one from Biloxi:

Parkour!

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
NO SAFETY - DEATH FIRST

loving Florida

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
There's a little yellow flag on the back, it's fine.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I admire that they kinda sorta thought that out because they loaded the center of gravity around the axle of the trailer, but then they completely neglected to think about coming to a stop or turning.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

The Final Destination movies have just gotten lazier and lazier

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Unperson_47 posted:

The Final Destination movies have just gotten lazier and lazier

They're just trying to save some money. Why destroy a dozen vehicles to almost kill someone when you can destroy just one?

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

`Nemesis posted:

NO SAFETY - DEATH FIRST

loving Florida

It's amazing the number of people that don't die doing poo poo like this

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Howard The Dork posted:

This is what happens when first year graduate students instruct chem 101 lab 100% of the time.

What’s he doing wrong? I’m not a chemist

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Scratch Monkey posted:

messing with forbidden alchemical arts that man ought not mess with

also what Platystemon said

Platystemon posted:

Stand is upside down, using the wrong flask, using a burner for doodooheads, using the wrong clamp, wearing nitrile gloves around a flame

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Let me tell you, it's easier than teaching them to use a bow.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Scratch Monkey posted:

Heating a volumetric flask like that can turn it into a really expensive conical flask with a stupid top.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

`Nemesis posted:

NO SAFETY - DEATH FIRST

loving Florida

not that awful tbh

im intrigued because it looks like they welded this trailer to function like a rack. so then what goes below...

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 19, 2024

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Im lookin for mid to long form content of people doing work in the trades. Anyone got recommendations? im collecting a list so i can pass it on to someone else interested in the field, and i want to give them a slice of life

so far my list is:
this old house classic on the roku channel
Gate city foundation drainage on YouTube

just wanna see tradies doing their thing, seeing what kind of bullshit they gotta put up with, listening to their clever insights. that kinda thing

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 19, 2024

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
what are they trying to write

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

20 Blunts posted:

not that awful tbh

im intrigued because it looks like they welded this trailer to function like a rack. so then what goes below...

It’s Florida, therefore even odds on meth, gators, or gators on meth.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

20 Blunts posted:

what are they trying to write
software

software that tradies would actually find useful as opposed to bloated broken garbage

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

KoRMaK posted:

software

software that tradies would actually find useful as opposed to bloated broken garbage

I’m afraid that all software is bloated broken garbage.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Based on what I know about tradies, which is purely media stereotypes and tropes, they'll reject your offerings out of hand while saying they don't need any fancy software to do their jobs. Then they will together mock and laugh at you for being a pencil neck geek.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

yea pal we've already been through onboarding

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Nm

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

KoRMaK posted:

software

ime, tradesmen are either young and will leave the trades as soon as they have kids, or they're dinosaurs that still use brick phones

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

KoRMaK posted:

Im lookin for mid to long form content of people doing work in the trades. Anyone got recommendations? im collecting a list so i can pass it on to someone else interested in the field, and i want to give them a slice of life

so far my list is:

just wanna see tradies doing their thing, seeing what kind of bullshit they gotta put up with, listening to their clever insights. that kinda thing

I like the Car Wizard's videos, he's a mechanic/shop owner making videos on the side. Usually about customers cars, past experiences, recommendations etc. His videos are very straightforward and low-tech, but well made. Reminds me of very early youtube, no put-on personalities or weird gimmicks to get views. I picked one at random but he's been at it a while so there's quite a few videos to look through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwWcPPjoRwY

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

KoRMaK posted:

so far my list is:

Dudes rebuilding a boat

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Based on what I know about tradies, which is purely media stereotypes and tropes, they'll reject your offerings out of hand while saying they don't need any fancy software to do their jobs. Then they will together mock and laugh at you for being a pencil neck geek.

nerd!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

KoRMaK posted:

software

"You've got a warrant/child/child support/court date" straight to text message would cut a lot of the crap.