Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Sextro posted:

What mods are recommended? I went ahead and grabbed the whole shebang. HOTAS would probably be fun but at least my keyboard is clacky and mechanical.

If your computer can handle it, VonBiomes is a must. It adds a truly staggering amount of diversity to the game's already pretty good set of map tilesets, and the quality is amazing, well above the standard set by the game (which again, is pretty good). In particular it does an awesome job selling the scale of the mechs, because it doesn't skip on things like ground foliage. The quality comes at the expense of performance, but I recommend at least trying it.

The other one I recommend is Coyote's Mission Pack. I'm not sure if I would install it at the very start of the game, as some of the new missions can be pretty punishing, but they add a lot of variety, and some are quite cool & well thought out. While most missions are pretty close to the standard set by the game, some are way harder, but usually give rich or unique rewards, and it wouldn't be a lot of fun to stumble into one of those right away in a first play of the game. It also means that when you're at the end of your run with a full lance of custom-tuned assault mechs, there are still challenges to face.

There are a lot of other worthwhile smaller mods, but in terms of impact on the game for number of mods installed, these two are my picks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

aniviron posted:

If your computer can handle it, VonBiomes is a must. It adds a truly staggering amount of diversity to the game's already pretty good set of map tilesets, and the quality is amazing, well above the standard set by the game (which again, is pretty good). In particular it does an awesome job selling the scale of the mechs, because it doesn't skip on things like ground foliage. The quality comes at the expense of performance, but I recommend at least trying it.

The other one I recommend is Coyote's Mission Pack. I'm not sure if I would install it at the very start of the game, as some of the new missions can be pretty punishing, but they add a lot of variety, and some are quite cool & well thought out. While most missions are pretty close to the standard set by the game, some are way harder, but usually give rich or unique rewards, and it wouldn't be a lot of fun to stumble into one of those right away in a first play of the game. It also means that when you're at the end of your run with a full lance of custom-tuned assault mechs, there are still challenges to face.

There are a lot of other worthwhile smaller mods, but in terms of impact on the game for number of mods installed, these two are my picks.

VonBiomes looks great! But it says to disable raytracing and I was hype for another game to enjoy it in... So torn. I see a lot of love for Yet Another Mech Lab making the mech lab more like it is in MWO.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Honestly, PGIs raytracing implementation is hot garbage and makes the game run like poo poo to the point you should turn it off even unmodded.

RT off/Native res runs at a faster and more consistent framerate than DLSS set to prefer performance over looks.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I'd also recommend Yet Another Mech Lab if you're into running about with MWO style builds, there are a bunch of add-ons, most of which are harder to recommend right off the bat, but if the thought of playing with vanilla load outs is too restrictive YAML is great.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

YAML is the go-to if you find the mechlab too restrictive; I generally don't use it, because I do feel that it takes away from what makes some mechs good or distinct; but without it, there are some mechs which are basically just unsalvageable. I kind of like it that way, it means if your first heavy is a Dragon you're like, well, I guess it's just going to be poo poo because that's what I have, and salvagers can't be choosers. But if you find yourself frustrated with the defaults, YAML is definitely the fix.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
There's mods to add clan stuff into the game too if you want (Yet Another Clan Invasion, Yet Another Weapon Clan) and more mechs/mech variants (Yet Another Mechlab Mechs).

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I will go against Coyote. The missions it adds are unfun shitstomps, it's just a question of which side of the shitstomp you're on. If you're on the giving end of the shitstomp, it rewards you for this by giving you gear way stronger than you should have, so everything turns into a shitstomp. And it can sometimes throw random bullshit at you while dealing with regular missions, too.

As for YAML, yeah, it eases up on the restrictions that were very deliberately put in place. I just wish there were something a bit more in between, that let you tinker with engine and structure while leaving the bay system intact.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Is there anywhere that has current builds for mechs? Most of the stuff I find is either very old, like pre-2018 - or from a youtube man with very good videos and a very bad beard, so searching through them is a little hard.

Edit: The search format in youtube makes it hard to find specific mechs, not his bad beard.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
lol the brain worms

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

TheFonz posted:

Is there anywhere that has current builds for mechs? Most of the stuff I find is either very old, like pre-2018 - or from a youtube man with very good videos and a very bad beard, so searching through them is a little hard.

Edit: The search format in youtube makes it hard to find specific mechs, not his bad beard.

GrimMech's Database page is still reasonably good. The Tier Lists page isn't updating regularly anymore, so take that with a grain of salt. The Database is useful, but the catch is that you need at least some rudimentary build assessment skills since they don't rate the builds, and the date of posting doesn't tell you everything.

For example, their MCII-B build is from Jul 2019, and it's still fine 4.5 years later because dual UAC10/5s on that chassis never goes out of style.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jan 2, 2024

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Appreciated! I will poke around. I got a few recommended videos after playing MW5 and thought I would try this again since I last played it about a decade ago. Really cool to still see an active community, and games popping very quickly.

Nutsack Rangoon
Mar 30, 2010

EVERYTHING IS NUMBERED HERE. THE MONSTER IS ZERO.
Is stuff in the OP still relevant? Getting into MWO after not playing for like 10 yrs.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The Quick Start Guide, and the stuff about currencies and spending money are still up to date. The builds and mechanics sections are less current. If you're familiar with the basic systems, then you should be able to use the GrimMech link a few post up to find some good builds for mechs you own.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VghJaFDZDaE

the king is back

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

To geeeve feeeild prrroctology exams to fellow Mechs

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Watching TheB33F in 2024. Feels good.

Locusts are also good. Love those little fuckers in other games.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
So i thought I'd try that beef build but I can't figure it out, it says its.5 tons overweight, I'm guessing one of those ammos is a 1/2 ton?

https://mwo.nav-alpha.com/mechlab?b=001ef10d_LCT-3V

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Says 20/20 tons when I click on your link. Maybe a bug with the website?

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
sorry i had to put it to 1.5 tons of ammo rather than 2 tons to get a share link, maybe thats just all it is and im overthinking it

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, I'm sure one of his MG ammos is half-ton. Honestly, I don't think you even need that much with the mech's ammo quirks, but there's not much else to spend the weight on.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
That video was made using a new smurf account against T5/T4 people. :qq:

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

:perfect:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

TjyvTompa posted:

That video was made using a new smurf account against T5/T4 people. :qq:

Yeah. I'm sorry, as a T4/T5 person this is just cheap and kinda cruel. Not video-worthy.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
A lot of streamers are really just pubbie stompers with an audience.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Kesper North posted:

Yeah. I'm sorry, as a T4/T5 person this is just cheap and kinda cruel. Not video-worthy.

This is the standard in every multiplayer game from up on the lofty peaks of LoL and Apex all the way down to tiny niche games like MWO. Viewers like stomps with BIG NUMBER more than close matches ground out on the margins. Gotta get dem clicks.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Skippy McPants posted:

This is the standard in every multiplayer game from up on the lofty peaks of LoL and Apex all the way down to tiny niche games like MWO. Viewers like stomps with BIG NUMBER more than close matches ground out on the margins. Gotta get dem clicks.

That.... that doesn't make it better.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

No, but smurfing is a long and cowardly tradition as old as multiplayer gaming. Paired with the pernicious incentives of modern media platforms, it's kinda inevitable.

Not good, hevens no, just inevitable.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jan 19, 2024

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Skippy McPants posted:

No, but smurfing is a long and cowardly tradition as old as multiplayer gaming. Paired with the pernicious incentives of modern media platforms, it's kinda inevitable.

Not good, hevens no, just inevitable.

I really prefer Youtubers who just show regular gameplay. They do exist!

My take is, you learn a lot from watching failure, usually more than from success.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Same, but as our presence on this site clearly demonstrates, our media preferences are not the norm.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Skippy McPants posted:

Same, but as our presence on this site clearly demonstrates, our media preferences are not the norm.

I hate this true fact so much

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
From what I see TTB isn't bad on that. He does do pubbie stomps but usually it's well labelled and you can see the name is different. Anyway, he's mostly the streamer I watch.

Hypocrite a lot, but he plays so many different styles it's hard to avoid.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Pubbie stomping in a Locust is still pretty impressive

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Editing was pretty good in any case. I was entertained.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

ilkhan posted:

From what I see TTB isn't bad on that. He does do pubbie stomps but usually it's well labelled and you can see the name is different. Anyway, he's mostly the streamer I watch.

Hypocrite a lot, but he plays so many different styles it's hard to avoid.

TTB is literally one of the best MWO players in the world, like no joke, he is one of the absolute best: https://leaderboard.isengrim.org/search?u=TTB

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

TjyvTompa posted:

TTB is literally one of the best MWO players in the world, like no joke, he is one of the absolute best: https://leaderboard.isengrim.org/search?u=TTB
Absolutely, he ends up carrying the team the majority of his highlight games. And is entertaining while doing it.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

https://twitch.tv/videos/2038325187?t=3476s

And as a bonus I also caught up with the impostor that has been running around the past couple of weeks:

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 20, 2024

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So hey, this video got me thinking about this game again. I haven't played since somewhere like 4 years ago? I see my question about the state of the OP has already been answered, but how's the state of the game these days? Will my account still be around, and if so, will there be other goons playing that I can drag down with me?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

neogeo0823 posted:

So hey, this video got me thinking about this game again. I haven't played since somewhere like 4 years ago? I see my question about the state of the OP has already been answered, but how's the state of the game these days? Will my account still be around, and if so, will there be other goons playing that I can drag down with me?

I just started playing again after two years and my account is still there. plus some random injections of stuff PGI just hands out. people still play regularly

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

neogeo0823 posted:

I came back to the game after like... a 8 year hiatus lol, my account was still there.

Weirdly, you would think that a niche multiplayer only game like this would be dominated by extremely skilled players at all tiers, who drastically outclass people who come into the game at this point.

You would think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Now they seem to run an event every month through the website to give out a free mech for playing up to 5000 match score (like 20 matches). This month, it's a Jenner-F and Jenner IIC.

And at some point they decided to change HPG Manifold from a nascar disaster to a sniping disaster.