Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I just spotted 2 different leaks of the whole orpheus/thanatos awakening scene on youtube, which i don't know if i should post and which'll probably be taken down within a day anyway but they're out there if anyone feels like looking at them, and i assume more leaks will be showing up shortly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah I wouldn’t post actual leaked content here when physical copies are already running around and people are going to want to experience it for themselves.

General new game release etiquette.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
I’m the odd one out here with regards to p3 lore but I actually really like the lore of nyx being an alien entity whose presence lead to humankind developing a a collective subconscious wholly dedicated generally to mitigate her influence. It tickles a certain part of the hard scfi part of my brain. Erebus being a tumor in the subconscious caused by many in the population wishing to awaken nyx and ask it to end everything before its time is cool to me too. I like elizabeth obtaining the fool arcana in arena too. She’s not necessarily going to end up saving the mc but might be goin gonna journey where she might learn that despite being a deity born of mankind’s subconscious she has to come to terms with the fact she can’t overturn their will and has to find her own meaning in her powerlessness against death. I don’t think any of this undermines the theme of death being inevitable. I think it helps push the idea that you should still fight against it regardless of its inevitability and live life to the fullest rather than fall into nihilism. None of this lore even really is contradicted by further games. The human subconscious exists and it’s going to result in other weird phenomena outside of its origin of nyx

Ohtsam fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 23, 2024

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think that qualifies as hard Scifi

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't think that qualifies as hard Scifi

Fine then the part of me that loves lore that explains random minutia. Or I just like the idea that an outside force resulted in a collective unconsciousness. I still don’t think it’s detrimental to anything

Ohtsam fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 23, 2024

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Ohtsam posted:

I’m the odd one out here with regards to p3 lore but I actually really like the lore of nyx being an alien entity whose presence lead to humankind developing a a collective subconscious wholly dedicated generally to mitigate her influence. It tickles a certain part of the hard scfi part of my brain. Erebus being a tumor in the subconscious caused by many in the population wishing to awaken nyx and ask it to end everything before its time is cool to me too. I like elizabeth obtaining the fool arcana in arena too. She’s not necessarily going to end up saving the mc but might be goin gonna journey where she might learn that despite being a deity born of mankind’s subconscious she has to come to terms with the fact she can’t overturn their will and has to find her own meaning in her powerlessness against death. I don’t think any of this undermines the theme of death being inevitable. I think it helps push the idea that you should still fight against it regardless of its inevitability and live life to the fullest rather than fall into nihilism. None of this lore even really is contradicted by further games. The human subconscious exists and it’s going to result in other weird phenomena outside of its origin of nyx

i like it as presented in the game but i feel like further explanation of it in the fanbook was always going to be purely detrimental and that the specific version they went with was dumb and cheapened the concept

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Don’t get me wrong it’s good for the actual storytelling it’s not in P3 itself. But as a piece of lore and world building I think it’s great. Much like much of the simarillion informs a lot of lord of the rings but would’ve made it much worse if it was in the text. But I don’t think it being canon lore is a detriment to the story either.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
At some point we are going to hit bedrock and have to defer to a matter of individual taste.

I just don't like the "artificial persona user", anti-persona medication (and the problematic poo poo that gets into), all-powerful but also extremely understaffed Kirijo Group-ness of it all, whereas others could easily find that stuff fascinating because that hits the notes they're looking for.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
just wanna know if its ethical to make out with ryoji tbh

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Tired Moritz posted:

just wanna know if its ethical to make out with ryoji tbh

isn't that like suicidal ideation

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I did some scientific investigation and have uncovered the truth behind "Nyx." But I am going to keep it secret, because it is dangerous information.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
I have information that will lead to Nyx’s arrest.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Honestly as dumb as all the club stuff at least it keeps the theme of Nyx being a non-malicious entity in reality. She brought the concept of death but otherwise just exists there, unlike other Persona villains who are either evil or misguided due to humanity. It's only because of Erebus that she poses a threat. Fits well with the idea that death might be terrifying, but also a part of life, that some run away, some embrace it too eagerly and some accept it. The "she's actually Lilith from NGE" at least doesn't detract fron that.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I just handwave it away as 'Philemon and Nyarltothep from persona 1 are constantly loving with reality over their stupid rear end bet and have moved to working indirectly through other manifestations of mankind's broken rear end consciousness.'

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
My only Persona experience is recently finishing Persona 5 Royal and I loved it. I don't understand a lot of what is being discussed here, but is there any indication how similar Persona 3 Reload will be in a gameplay sense? I know they have released some different styles and still trying to get my head around them all.

I was going to give P5 Tactics a go, but Like a Dragon 8 releases in a few days so no time.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They will be extremely similar in general gameplay loop.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Doug Sisk posted:

My only Persona experience is recently finishing Persona 5 Royal and I loved it. I don't understand a lot of what is being discussed here, but is there any indication how similar Persona 3 Reload will be in a gameplay sense? I know they have released some different styles and still trying to get my head around them all.

I was going to give P5 Tactics a go, but Like a Dragon 8 releases in a few days so no time.

They're fairly similar. The major difference is that there are not 'built' dungeons in P3, its big dungeon is effectively more in line with Mementos, and Social Links (Confidants in P3) don't give new skills/abilities, they just improve the fusion experience.

There used to be a lot more differences but Persona 3 Reload is effectively building itself off P5.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Doug Sisk posted:

They've basically given it Persona 5's battle system with a few tweaks, namely:
no guns, holdups, or negotiations
baton pass is less busted and just passes the action to another party member instead of also buffing them
different elements(no nuke or psi, physical damage is divided into slash, strike and pierce instead of phys and gun)
party members get limit breaks/supers/theurgies/special attacks that you can use when a bar is full

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Just finished Persona 3 FES for the first time since like 2010, I think? I don't think my feelings on that game have really changed, there's parts that individually worked better than I remembered but I found a lot of it badly underwritten and the entire story desperately needed another pass to iron things out. The final boss also took me like an hour even with my setup of "Akihiko and Aigis constantly debuffing/buffing, Mitsuru and MC nuking entire phases down in two hits with Bufudyne and Thunder Reign," which feels ridiculous.

Not to get all :tinfoil: but what I've seen from the trailers for Reload has me worried that they're not even going to address some of the more infamous bits of the original game's writing, because I've noticed several moments ripped straight out of the original Social Links (including at least one where they took a line from the original Sun Rank 10 and made it worse for some reason). Whatever, I'm interested to see what they do actually change, because I could feel the game straining and almost reaching excellence so many times in those final hours and never quite getting there.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Arist posted:

Not to get all :tinfoil:

I will. Sega put out Like a Dragon this week to cover for the fact that they know P3R will disappoint :tinfoil:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

p5t review: was alright, didn't really manage to merge the mechanics with a strategy game but it also didn't overstay it's welcome and was enjoyable enough. also the finale went insanely hard for no real reason

the splatoon tactica dlc kind of whipped rear end though? where on earth did that come from

ImpAtom posted:

its big dungeon is effectively more in line with Mementos

except not as god-awful as this sounds. not particularly interesting either, though.

anyway i think the answer was neat because it explored the fact that the p3 group weren't really friends so everything goes to hell interpersonally before they get their poo poo together. also metis' concept as a whole was kind of a p4 prototype.

i'd play it if it gets remade but outside of that i don't have any real interest in revisiting it

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 26, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I was watching some parts of the P3 movies, and realized that I basically forgot most of what happens in that game. I don't think any of my attempted second playthroughs ever even made it to Fuuka joining the party.

Gonna be fun having things mostly be new again, outside of the very end (which I remember pretty well).

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Yinlock posted:

anyway i think the answer was neat because it explored the fact that the p3 group weren't really friends so everything goes to hell interpersonally before they get their poo poo together. also metis' concept as a whole was kind of a p4 prototype.

i'd play it if it gets remade but outside of that i don't have any real interest in revisiting it

I also think it's funny that Junpei of all people is the one going "Oh my god, how am I the only sane one right now, everyone please chill the gently caress out." Even Koromaru was on his side, that's how you know he was the only one with his head on straight.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MFWBnXzPnQ

This was an existing trailer but now it's in English. You get to hear Akihiko's "I've been waiting for this!"

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
The pricing of P3R is pretty disgusting and sours me a little on the whole thing and on Atlus, but I'll try it via game pass.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sadly 70 dollars is slowly becoming the standard and atlus isnt the first company to do it

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Endorph posted:

sadly 70 dollars is slowly becoming the standard and atlus isnt the first company to do it

No but this isn't a new game that a full team spent years on, it's a remake. Much of the work was already done.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Hoo boy.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
My bigger problem is Atlus is gonna release P3 RELOADED RESHELLED in three years anyway

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

PirateBob posted:

No but this isn't a new game that a full team spent years on, it's a remake. Much of the work was already done.

i mean, it's not a remaster, they did actually have to make a whole game. they just had the plot written already.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
That price sucks a big one, but this isn't some port or graphical touchup HD thing. It's a whole new voice cast, new track arrangements, and they likely had to make a whole new engine for this thing since it's not PS2 hardware anymore, etc.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Neeksy posted:

they likely had to make a whole new engine for this thing since it's not PS2 hardware anymore, etc.

nah it's on unreal engine

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

also i guess they've gotten sick of dealing with leaks because the atlus youtube channel is just streaming the beginning of the game in japanese right now

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
No Burn my Dread in the intro is a no-buy from me (also I've gotten tired of Atlus re-re-releasing things for full price later)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PirateBob posted:

No but this isn't a new game

true

quote:

(this isnt a game) that a full team spent years on
false

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

wow, new akihiko sounds way different

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

DanielCross posted:

I also think it's funny that Junpei of all people is the one going "Oh my god, how am I the only sane one right now, everyone please chill the gently caress out." Even Koromaru was on his side, that's how you know he was the only one with his head on straight.

Junpei becoming the most mature of the group overall was one of the better parts of p3. Even his growth bears this out, he's kind of poo poo early on but unstoppable late.

I wish the bullshit "chidori survives" secret from FES was canon because I wanted to see him married and winning in life in Arena

Honestly I'd rather have P6 than a P3 remake but P3 probably still needed it most, it's kinda jank both story and mechanics-wise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yinlock posted:

Junpei becoming the most mature of the group overall was one of the better parts of p3. Even his growth bears this out, he's kind of poo poo early on but unstoppable late.

I wish the bullshit "chidori survives" secret from FES was canon because I wanted to see him married and winning in life in Arena

Honestly I'd rather have P6 than a P3 remake but P3 probably still needed it most, it's kinda jank both story and mechanics-wise.

The Chidori thing is in an ambigous state of canon/not-canon but leans more towards canon. In the fighting game Junpei is thinking of proposing to her and he's wearing a gift from her which seems unlikely as something he would have gotten prior to her death/rebirth.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Might be misremembering but doesn't The Answer at least imply she's dead? I'm not saying that's the last word on it, though, because no matter what you're basically picking and choosing which bits are "real."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

The Chidori thing is in an ambigous state of canon/not-canon but leans more towards canon. In the fighting game Junpei is thinking of proposing to her and he's wearing a gift from her which seems unlikely as something he would have gotten prior to her death/rebirth.

Is he? I somehow missed all of that, good for them.

e:

Arist posted:

Might be misremembering but doesn't The Answer at least imply she's dead? I'm not saying that's the last word on it, though, because no matter what you're basically picking and choosing which bits are "real."

The answer does indeed imply this, part of why Junpei has his poo poo together is that he's already lost someone very recently. But otoh her revived self has amnesia so she effectively "died" so who the gently caress knows