Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Well, I reached the end credits. That was a hell of an experience, still miss Arthur though.

And holy poo poo I'm rich now. What should I do? Go for 100% completion or try out Red Dead Online? Some side missions are still grayed out, though, like the Ties That Bind Us and the Marko Dragic bouncing boy one. I dunno if it's possible to actually continue those side quests now.

Just enjoy the surprisingly long epilogue for now, there's two or three strings of missions plus some collectibles that were blocked off during the main game.

e I'm not sure about those specifically, but I thought you were able to go back to most of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Inspector Hound posted:

Just enjoy the surprisingly long epilogue for now, there's two or three strings of missions plus some collectibles that were blocked off during the main game.

e I'm not sure about those specifically, but I thought you were able to go back to most of them

I meant I finished the Epilogue and saw the end credits. I'm at 92% completion for my save file, so I guess I can go back and finish the challenges etc.

E:

Some reflections on Dutch and the story as a whole:

Based on the money you find at camp right before Arthur dies and the money you find at Micah's hideout at the end of the Epilogue, essentially Dutch had more than enough money all along for everyone to escape to Tahiti etc but lied about it to keep stringing people along? It would also make sense since Dutch kept flip flopping between New York and Tahiti etc since he never really planned on leaving and was just saying whatever would get people off his back. Dutch kept complaining about being stressed and needing a plan, but I feel like Dutch was mainly stressed about his ruse starting to fall apart as people began to doubt his motives and would explain why he's so fixated on other people having faith in him.

Dutch made a big show of his code and different his gang was compared to the O'Driscolls, but it becomes clear that when his principles conflict with what he wants like fighting a war against civilization or getting revenge against people who slighted him, those principles go right out the window. The only difference between early Dutch and later Dutch is that he increasingly doesn't give a poo poo about keeping up appearances, and eventually he even realizes this by the end of the Epilogue when he doesn't even bother giving John an explanation for his actions. So much for the silver-tongued manipulator.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jan 22, 2024

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
For my second playthrough I once again killed my horse as soon as I got to Saint Denis because I was chasing someone and got infront of a tram.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

E:

Based on the money you find at camp right before Arthur dies and the money you find at Micah's hideout at the end of the Epilogue, essentially Dutch had more than enough money all along for everyone to escape to Tahiti etc but lied about it to keep stringing people along?

1. The money in the epilogue is the Blackwater ferry robbery money from before the game which was hidden somewhere in Blackwater itself all throughout the main story. Specifically, none of the gang ever had access to it and Micah was badgering Dutch about going to retrieve it the entire game.
2. The money in the cave is the gang's camp savings from Chapter 2 to the end of Chapter 6, including the take from the final train robbery immediately before the very end of the main story. The gang's savings prior to the train robbery was something like $14,000 but in RDR2 money a good horse costs about $1,000 so I don't think $14,000 would be enough to do all Dutch wanted.

quote:

and eventually he even realizes this by the end of the Epilogue when he doesn't even bother giving John an explanation for his actions. So much for the silver-tongued manipulator.

I interpret it as him admitting he can't explain himself. John's and Arthur's final exchange with Dutch are identical. They remind him of how they've always done their best for him/given him all they had, and it renders Dutch speechless because he knows they're right. To say anything would be an insult, a bold-faced lie to himself and them. He knows he and he alone did wrong.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

NikkolasKing posted:

1. The money in the epilogue is the Blackwater ferry robbery money from before the game which was hidden somewhere in Blackwater itself all throughout the main story. Specifically, none of the gang ever had access to it and Micah was badgering Dutch about going to retrieve it the entire game.
2. The money in the cave is the gang's camp savings from Chapter 2 to the end of Chapter 6, including the take from the final train robbery immediately before the very end of the main story. The gang's savings prior to the train robbery was something like $14,000 but in RDR2 money a good horse costs about $1,000 so I don't think $14,000 would be enough to do all Dutch wanted.

I interpret it as him admitting he can't explain himself. John's and Arthur's final exchange with Dutch are identical. They remind him of how they've always done their best for him/given him all they had, and it renders Dutch speechless because he knows they're right. To say anything would be an insult, a bold-faced lie to himself and them. He knows he and he alone did wrong.

It was not enough to do everything, but it was more than enough to get them to relative safety, if not Tahiti. Dutch could have gotten them to Canada, to Mexico, etc, out of the Pinkerton's reach and away from the immediate heat. Considering half the moves in the game are "lets leave and figure it out later" there is no reason he could not have done that and gotten the group to Canada.

I would also hesitate to figure any kind of rational economy from the prices of things in the game. its entirely game balance and not an attempt at consistency.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Oh yeah, the money is all gate keeping. It's still easily broken by riding around raiding camps and selling belt buckles, though

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

It was not enough to do everything, but it was more than enough to get them to relative safety, if not Tahiti. Dutch could have gotten them to Canada, to Mexico, etc, out of the Pinkerton's reach and away from the immediate heat. Considering half the moves in the game are "lets leave and figure it out later" there is no reason he could not have done that and gotten the group to Canada.

I would also hesitate to figure any kind of rational economy from the prices of things in the game. its entirely game balance and not an attempt at consistency.

If you wanna make the argument Dutch could have done things better, I won't argue with that. But the confusion over the money comes up a lot.

Like 99% of the gang's money comes from three things: the Valentine bank robbery in Chapter 3, the Riverboat robbery in Chapter 4, and the train robbery at the very end of the game. Could the gang have fled with the $15K after the riverboat robbery and left the Saint-Denis bank alone? Sure, but nobody wanted to. Hosea was insistent on robbing it. After that, the gang is stranded in Guarma, they are immediately attacked and nearly killed once they get back to the US, and then they flee to Beaver Hollow. The gang doesn't actually pull a single moneymaking job until the train robbery. Could Dutch have tried to figure out a way to get to Canada(Mexico is a no go because of Javier's history) rather than doing the poo poo with the Natives? Possibly. very possibly. However, Micah and Dutch note that every possible avenue of escape is being watched. Speaking of Micah, in Dutch's clearly unhinged state in Chapter 6, Micah was now his #1 confidant and adviser. Only Micah was a rat informing on their every move to the Pinkertons and is also a selfish, supremely evil person, so he probably didn't exactly advise anything good.

Personally, I'd say Dutch's most critical mistake was listening to Bronte with the trolley station. Along with the bank robbery, they were the nails in the coffin. Had the gang fled with that 15K, who knows. Probably not reaching Tahiti but I dunno.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

If you wanna make the argument Dutch could have done things better, I won't argue with that. But the confusion over the money comes up a lot.

Like 99% of the gang's money comes from three things: the Valentine bank robbery in Chapter 3, the Riverboat robbery in Chapter 4, and the train robbery at the very end of the game. Could the gang have fled with the $15K after the riverboat robbery and left the Saint-Denis bank alone? Sure, but nobody wanted to. Hosea was insistent on robbing it. After that, the gang is stranded in Guarma, they are immediately attacked and nearly killed once they get back to the US, and then they flee to Beaver Hollow. The gang doesn't actually pull a single moneymaking job until the train robbery. Could Dutch have tried to figure out a way to get to Canada(Mexico is a no go because of Javier's history) rather than doing the poo poo with the Natives? Possibly. very possibly. However, Micah and Dutch note that every possible avenue of escape is being watched. Speaking of Micah, in Dutch's clearly unhinged state in Chapter 6, Micah was now his #1 confidant and adviser. Only Micah was a rat informing on their every move to the Pinkertons and is also a selfish, supremely evil person, so he probably didn't exactly advise anything good.

Personally, I'd say Dutch's most critical mistake was listening to Bronte with the trolley station. Along with the bank robbery, they were the nails in the coffin. Had the gang fled with that 15K, who knows. Probably not reaching Tahiti but I dunno.

The most critical mistake is Micah in general.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
That money would work out to about $500k today, I think. When everyone gets back in chapter 6 the gang is at, what, like 13 people? So that's about $38k a person. Obviously, the price of goods varies by more than just the rate of inflation, but not hard to see how that money might not last a long time or go as far as they might need

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

NikkolasKing posted:

Personally, I'd say Dutch's most critical mistake was listening to Bronte with the trolley station.

This 100%. It makes absolutely no sense other than for gameplay/story reasons. Bronte kidnaps Jack and then Dutch somehow trusts him even though he was working with the Braithwaite's who you just killed and burnt down their house? Why would you believe anything he says let alone a robbery tip.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Dutch probably could have sent one of the less known gang members to get the Blackwater money, it was apparently well hidden enough and he knew where it was, but that would have required trusting someone with the money and giving them the power of getting it back, and no way would he do that, even before things got bad.

Even a small crew like 3 of the women would have done it and not have run off in chapters 2 and 3, and are way more skilled than they got credit for.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The most critical mistake is Micah in general.

what's funny is micah is absolutely right that the gang can't really exist as both 'a few gunslingers who rob trains' and 'an anarchist collective living off the land'. Like, without the wagon train full of noncombatants they would have no problem traveling quickly and quietly to escape the law, but without the guys shooting up towns and robbing banks they wouldn't be in the trouble they are. Dutch wants to have it both ways, because to admit he's basically just a murderous thug would mean his entire philosophy was a lie, and Micah is basically the guy going "see what's happening when you try to do both? let's just kill everyone and burn their corpses and be done with it"

like he's evil but he at least has the situational awareness that dutch lacks lol

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

bobjr posted:

Dutch probably could have sent one of the less known gang members to get the Blackwater money, it was apparently well hidden enough and he knew where it was, but that would have required trusting someone with the money and giving them the power of getting it back, and no way would he do that, even before things got bad.

Even a small crew like 3 of the women would have done it and not have run off in chapters 2 and 3, and are way more skilled than they got credit for.

A boring, practical concern is just how much effort it would take to find, collect, and transport that much moolah. Remember how it took the entire gang to haul around the take from the train robbery at the end? Blackwater is something like 7x that, $150.000. So you have to sneak into a heavily monitored town, locate the money, then transport all of it back out of the town.

Even if Dutch did trust Mary-Beth, Karen, and Tilly to do it, it seems very risky.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

what's funny is micah is absolutely right that the gang can't really exist as both 'a few gunslingers who rob trains' and 'an anarchist collective living off the land'. Like, without the wagon train full of noncombatants they would have no problem traveling quickly and quietly to escape the law, but without the guys shooting up towns and robbing banks they wouldn't be in the trouble they are. Dutch wants to have it both ways, because to admit he's basically just a murderous thug would mean his entire philosophy was a lie, and Micah is basically the guy going "see what's happening when you try to do both? let's just kill everyone and burn their corpses and be done with it"

like he's evil but he at least has the situational awareness that dutch lacks lol

that is the only thing he is correct about. but he is also only correct in describing the current situation the gang finds itself in at the start of the game. this is the furthest dutch has pushed the gang into being truly violent scumbags as opposed to a collection of thieves and con artists. prior to the events of the game, the gang primarily robbed banks without killing, and collected the camp followers via various acts of either charity and kindness, or reciprocity for the same, even in Micah's case. But between Mac and Davey and then Micah, plus Strauss, the band had shifted away from Robin Hood to just another gang. Micah is unique in that he ascertains immediately the way he can manipulate Dutch as a result of saving Dutch's life. If we want to point at 1 single failing, Dutch's biggest mistake is refusing to believe his most trusted men that Micah is not trustworthy and a liability. Everyone in camp recognizes it, and Dutch stubbornly refuses to accept that he misjudged Micah.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
What should I focus on if I want to have fun with Red Dead Online? Also, how do I mute nearby shithead players?

I was considering buying a few gold bars, but a Chinese troll screaming nearby how Thai people are a bunch of dogs and somebody else blatantly hacking and spawning a bunch of poo poo while I'm struggling to hear what a quest giver is saying during a cinematic made me think otherwise.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

What should I focus on if I want to have fun with Red Dead Online? Also, how do I mute nearby shithead players?

I was considering buying a few gold bars, but a Chinese troll screaming nearby how Thai people are a bunch of dogs and somebody else blatantly hacking and spawning a bunch of poo poo while I'm struggling to hear what a quest giver is saying during a cinematic made me think otherwise.

I would not spend any money on RDR online

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

christmas boots posted:

That money would work out to about $500k today, I think. When everyone gets back in chapter 6 the gang is at, what, like 13 people? So that's about $38k a person. Obviously, the price of goods varies by more than just the rate of inflation, but not hard to see how that money might not last a long time or go as far as they might need

That’s a huge amount of money for the times, honestly. Tahiti is a stretch, but ships from the west coast to Australia were reasonably common. It wouldn’t have been too hard to reach the west coast and find passage on a boat to australia, except of course that Micah would’ve tipped off the feds/pinkertons.

Once in Australia it would be super easy to disappear and set up a camp somewhere, as to white people the place was empty*.

That said, it would’ve ultimately failed because as we see in the epilogue, most of them can’t and won’t leave that life behind. You’ve been in gunfights, brawls, adrenaline fuelled adventures. Who wants to have a quiet farmers life after that?

** it was not empty, massive numbers of indigenous people still lived on and used the land. But they didn’t count, obviously.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Made it to chapter 6 but feel like I’ve gone too far in the game now to enjoy it. Part of me wants to just steam roll to the end and the other wants me to start again do as much as I can in chapter 2 but not progress beyond chapter 4 when poo poo starts to unravel

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Made it to chapter 6 but feel like I’ve gone too far in the game now to enjoy it. Part of me wants to just steam roll to the end and the other wants me to start again do as much as I can in chapter 2 but not progress beyond chapter 4 when poo poo starts to unravel

Ya we've all been there. I just finished a 100% run last week and I ended up rushing a bit at the end. Chapter 6 is :emo:

I absolutely love chapter 2 it's by far my favourite part of the game. The amount of stuff you can actually get done is incredible. You can get like 65% of the game finished in that chapter.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I meant I finished the Epilogue and saw the end credits. I'm at 92% completion for my save file, so I guess I can go back and finish the challenges etc.

E:

Based on the money you find at camp right before Arthur dies and the money you find at Micah's hideout at the end of the Epilogue, essentially Dutch had more than enough money all along for everyone to escape to Tahiti etc but lied about it to keep stringing people along? It would also make sense since Dutch kept flip flopping between New York and Tahiti etc since he never really planned on leaving and was just saying whatever would get people off his back. Dutch kept complaining about being stressed and needing a plan, but I feel like Dutch was mainly stressed about his ruse starting to fall apart as people began to doubt his motives and would explain why he's so fixated on other people having faith in him.

Dutch made a big show of his code and different his gang was compared to the O'Driscolls, but it becomes clear that when his principles conflict with what he wants like fighting a war against civilization or getting revenge against people who slighted him, those principles go right out the window. The only difference between early Dutch and later Dutch is that he increasingly doesn't give a poo poo about keeping up appearances, and eventually he even realizes this by the end of the Epilogue when he doesn't even bother giving John an explanation for his actions. So much for the silver-tongued manipulator.

While I mostly agree, off the top of my head, we do see Dutch directly value "family" over revenge at least once. He seems genuine in trying to make peace with the O'Driscolls before they capture Arthur.

I think it's a situation where "the truth is in the middle." I think Dutch himself believes that he's genuine about these things, but that he also wants to continue living this life of crime (and a sort of cult-ish leadership) and wouldn't ever axtually be willing to leave for a peaceful future somewhere else.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Man if they ever made it to Tahiti for real how quickly do you think it would devolve into Dutch fleeing in another boat somewhere else with island authorities hot on his trail

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

Man if they ever made it to Tahiti for real how quickly do you think it would devolve into Dutch fleeing in another boat somewhere else with island authorities hot on his trail

Dutch would befriend Polynesian Micah

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Yeah can’t say I’m a fan of either Micah or Dutch at this point in the game.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Ytlaya posted:

While I mostly agree, off the top of my head, we do see Dutch directly value "family" over revenge at least once. He seems genuine in trying to make peace with the O'Driscolls before they capture Arthur.

I think it's a situation where "the truth is in the middle." I think Dutch himself believes that he's genuine about these things, but that he also wants to continue living this life of crime (and a sort of cult-ish leadership) and wouldn't ever axtually be willing to leave for a peaceful future somewhere else.

There's a combination of a lot of things. Dutch is lying and bullshitting to everyone in the gang, but he believes in it too. And I think he thinks that if he wants it hard enough and they try hard enough he can make it the truth even if it wasn't before. But reality sets in, and he never really internalizes the idea that even in his utopia they'd have to stop doing what they do.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Yep this is a pretty common feeling. Chapter six is pretty short I think, so just push through it - it’s seriously worth it. The epilogue is great too, and after that you can cowboy to your heart’s content. There’s even an entire chunk of the map with different creatures, a different biome and a few towns to explore!

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Where the hell are all these dino bones, I cant find any to save my life :argh:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Where the hell are all these dino bones, I cant find any to save my life :argh:

Actually looking for collectibles the normal way in a R* game is a fool's errand, use https://rdr2map.com/

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Yep, this is why we in general encourage people to cowboy it up earlier. The story has too much inertia in the last portion and most people will feel inclined to keep playing it vs going off to do random stuff.

Do any new stranger missions you see pop up though, they are all meant for the themes of Chapter 6.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Wolfsheim posted:

Actually looking for collectibles the normal way in a R* game is a fool's errand, use https://rdr2map.com/

lol okay yea, after checking out the first few around New Hanover, some of them I wouldn't have recognised if I was standing right beside them.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Yeah I have no idea how they expected most players to find the majority of the collectibles. Stumbling across cool stuff like the Viking grave, or following treasure maps to specific locations is awesome, but the Dino bones and whatever are nigh on impossible.

Back in the day I would’ve cynically said they’re trying to sell paper maps (or I guess these days, a paid online compendium kinda thing), but yeah it’s just insanely hard and time consuming because ???

I guess you can probably find most of the cigarette cards just picking up the packets or buying them.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If you learn nothing else from red dead 2, it’s that smoking is cool and rewarding

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Towards the end of my playthrough I wanted to finish a couple of the cigarette card sets so I just posted up in the shop in Van Horn smoking and buying cigarettes, hacking my lungs up the whole time lmao

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I deserve an achievement for watching the credits until the end.

EDIT 85.8% complete? :supaburn:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

I deserve an achievement for watching the credits until the end.

EDIT 85.8% complete? :supaburn:

Sounds like you've got some rock carvings and fossils and dream catchers and cigarette cards to track down

e I can't remember, it doesn't want a gold medal on all the missions, does it? I think the no death run in alien isolation was easier

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 27, 2024

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Inspector Hound posted:

Sounds like you've got some rock carvings and fossils and dream catchers and cigarette cards to track down

e I can't remember, it doesn't want a gold medal on all the missions, does it? I think the no death run in alien isolation was easier

There's a trophy for getting 70 gold medals on story missions, but I don't know how that counts toward completion percentage.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

No, iirc you only need a handful of golds to qualify for 100%. There’s a cheevo for getting all/most of them, but you don’t have to for 100%

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Made it to the end of the story and even though I knew how it ended it still came as a bit of a shock. Managed to get high honor right to the end and made it through part one of the epilogue last night so we’ll see what happens.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I can’t get through a high honor play through because I murder every Lemoyne raider i see, no matter where.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

LeeMajors posted:

I can’t get through a high honor play through because I murder every Lemoyne raider i see, no matter where.

You need to use the howdy button more

And be nice to your horse more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

rotinaj posted:

You need to use the howdy button more

And be nice to your horse more

No matter how often I feed my horse, the guy at the stables would always give me poo poo for either not letting it feed, or telling me it has worms.