Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Archer666 posted:

That was the era where I almost gave up on gaming entirely, gently caress it was a dire time. Japan doing that weird rear end push to Westernize their games and absolutely destroying them while the west was making GBS threads on Japan while producing the brownest poo poo imaginable since the invention of Mexican food.

I remember unchartered had a secret filter mod and the next gen filter just made everything brown with too much bloom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021

NorgLyle posted:

I watched The Simpsons for years and I literally could not think of any Asian characters on the show. So I went looking and now I really wish that I hadn't. There are no 'regular' Simpsons characters who are Asian and the named characters who have shown up more than once are very grim and seemingly all fit your post exactly.

George Takei did voice Akira in his first appearance but later appearances are Hank Azaria for whatever reason.

does apu count as asian

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

euroshopper posted:

does apu count as asian

To British people, yes. Americans think Asian just means East Asian. I always found this really interesting.

Archer666 posted:

That was the era where I almost gave up on gaming entirely, gently caress it was a dire time. Japan doing that weird rear end push to Westernize their games and absolutely destroying them while the west was making GBS threads on Japan while producing the brownest poo poo imaginable since the invention of Mexican food.

I never understood this "i's brown" criticism, then or now. I liked Infamous and GTAIV because of the characters and story and music. The brown-ness never once entered my mind.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Yeah south Asians are Asians

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

To British people, yes. Americans think Asian just means East Asian. I always found this really interesting.

I never understood this "i's brown" criticism, then or now. I liked Infamous and GTAIV because of the characters and story and music. The brown-ness never once entered my mind.

You're wondering why gamers have a problem with brown?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Wasn't the brownness partly because lighting had advanced from the early 3D era but not advanced enough that it could do realistic bouncing of reflected light and the other things that make real life not actually all grey? I think there's something to this because in some games you can tell shadows work by making things literally darker so like a dark colored thing standing in the shade becomes invisible.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

If you enjoy the visual aspect of video games, that generation was very noticable for having the brown filter and muted colors. If you don't much care for that aspect, then yeah the brown filter criticism doesn't really connect. But for me and a lot of other people, it was poo poo.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

NikkolasKing posted:

kevduit recently did a second video on deadpool (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGglBEua1DQ) which really made me remember the brownness of the era - it wasn't so much the "is brown" but rather that "is brown" was really the only language at the time to describe what was in fact a lack of clarity in the visual design. everything looked "brown" because nothing was designed to stand out.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

The G4TechTV era was kind if a concentration for a lot of it, to be honest. It is the channel that had Jessica Chobot lick a PSP and their E3 coverage lamented the end of booth babes.

Also Olivia Munn in a maid costume jumping into a pie.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kay Kessler posted:

Never forget that in every adult cartoon (Simpsons, koth, macfarlane shows, South Park), all Asians are played by a white guy (usually the show's creator) doing a racist "you get out my store!" accent. Even to this day.

Well, all Asian men. For Asian women they usually just hire the same Asian woman to voice them all.

Hanna Barbera's 1972 Saturday morning cartoon 'The Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan' weirdly bucked the trend in that they hired VAs who were actually of Asian descent to voice the Asian characters ....

...... right up until the show actually started airing and viewers started complaining that their accents were too thick at which point they immediately replaced most of the cast with non-Asian VAs and redubbed the earlier episodes when they were syndicated

AN ATTEMPT WAS MADE

Edit: I guess TV execs kept bringing this up for decades afterwards whenever a cartoon featured an Asian character

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I only know the Chan Clan from Harvey Birdman.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Weird Sandwich posted:

The article is right you should feel embarrassed playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Being embarrassed about your hobbies is some fail poo poo and XB2 owns.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Karasu Tengu posted:

Yeah, a big thing to remember with that stuff is that it's not something just on one network or tv show, it was the entire sphere at the time and it was insane and awful.

Behold, Britain! Really look at that headline for Megaman Legends.

https://twitter.com/Protodude/status/1365684470700003329

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Hanna Barbera's 1972 Saturday morning cartoon 'The Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan' weirdly bucked the trend in that they hired VAs who were actually of Asian descent to voice the Asian characters ....

...... right up until the show actually started airing and viewers started complaining that their accents were too thick at which point they immediately replaced most of the cast with non-Asian VAs and redubbed the earlier episodes when they were syndicated

AN ATTEMPT WAS MADE

Edit: I guess TV execs kept bringing this up for decades afterwards whenever a cartoon featured an Asian character
I believe a similar thing happened for the Charlie Chan live action movies.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Alaois posted:

thinking about the time someone in Games said no women would play Final Fantasy XV because the party were all dudes

this was the opinion of like 90% of western games media for years it ruled

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

even funnier: https://opensea.io/collection/hard-drive they actually did make the NFTs they just then got bullied by their staff out of promoting them

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The magazine had infamously poor editing, insane graphic design and an incident where they accidentally left racist Japanese slurs in as filler text but I will always love Hardcore Gamefan for being the "guys claiming every single unlocalized Sega Saturn Japanese game would have saved the system" of magazines

I mean come on

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NorgLyle posted:

I watched The Simpsons for years and I literally could not think of any Asian characters on the show. So I went looking and now I really wish that I hadn't. There are no 'regular' Simpsons characters who are Asian and the named characters who have shown up more than once are very grim and seemingly all fit your post exactly.
they gave comic book guy a japaense cosplayer girlfriend for some reason which i guess is meant to be a wacky joke but then they just had them actually get married in a big episode??? bizarre

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think my favorite moment was seeing this Kings Field review and like, yeah, 30 years and Fromsoft was always doing their goddamn thing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Terrible Opinions posted:

I believe a similar thing happened for the Charlie Chan live action movies.

Sort of. The very earliest film versions of Charlie Chan in the 1920s cast Japanese actors but pretty much every other time he appeared in Western media after that he was portrayed by a white dude in yellowface. (There were a handful of films produced in Hong Kong in the 30s and 40s but weirdly enough the American films were also super popular in that market.)

The 1970s Hanna Barbera cartoon was the first time that a person of Chinese descent got to play the character in a US adaptation, lol

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

RareAcumen posted:

Behold, Britain! Really look at that headline for Megaman Legends.

Calling the classic mega man era the dark ages of gaming in the earlier PS1 era is so goddamn funny to me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the west was all in on the idea that anything that wasnt 3d was a throwback to a darker, failed past that we should all be ashamed of

famously this led to a lot of 2d games not getting localized

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Mega Man Legends was (and is) good

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

NorgLyle posted:

George Takei did voice Akira in his first appearance but later appearances are Hank Azaria for whatever reason.

Apu is Asian

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Endorph posted:

the west was all in on the idea that anything that wasnt 3d was a throwback to a darker, failed past that we should all be ashamed of

famously this led to a lot of 2d games not getting localized

this was not just a common attitude in the press and general public, it was sony of america's official stance until 2012

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
oh poo poo jon (many a true nerd) is doing daggerfall finally hell yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tnkAQSa52E

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Archer666 posted:

It wasn't all bad

I mean, it was, objectively, but telling people who don't know about bionic commando's dead wife arm twist is still funny to this day, and all that westernization was a domino that ended in mighty number nine, so in terms of content it was pretty amazing

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

It wasn't all bad

I mean, it was, objectively, but telling people who don't know about bionic commando's dead wife arm twist is still funny to this day, and all that westernization was a domino that ended in mighty number nine, so in terms of content it was pretty amazing

spencer's robot arm wife should've talked to him. Like saying "good job honey!" when he punches a bad guy. they'd still be making sequels if they did that

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

It wasn't all bad

Oh cool, a specific game got mentioned. Can someone be specific about what other games count as westernized, I have no idea if this means Metal Wolf Chaos or Binary Domain or what.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
South Park also had the City Wok guy
Who they decades later revealed to be a delusional white guy in yellowface as a plot twist because no 'chinese person could be that stereotypical for real'
Of course the real Chinese and Japanese characters of the show are still all voiced by Matt and Trey.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Oh cool, a specific game got mentioned. Can someone be specific about what other games count as westernized, I have no idea if this means Metal Wolf Chaos or Binary Domain or what.
basically everything capcom made from 2005-2015 except monster hunter

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

RareAcumen posted:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

basically everything capcom made from 2005-2015 except monster hunter

Ohhhh, okay. Stuff I just glazed over on the 360 store or never knew about like Dark Void, Darkwatch, Remember Me, Shadow of Rome or Final Fight Streetwise. Got it, got it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Dragon's Dogma was consciously designed with contemporary WRPG sensibilities in mind - specifically stuff from games like like Fable, and Oblivion. A lot of the art direction and character/enemy design was also actively trying to mimic the generic Holywood "fantasy" look and feel.

Also Dragon's Dogma kicked rear end.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

As a then 14 year old Bomberman super fan when this came out I was apoplectic over this massacre of my boy.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dragon's Dogma was conspicuously designed to look like Berserk

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sydin posted:

Dragon's Dogma was consciously designed with contemporary WRPG sensibilities in mind - specifically stuff from games like like Fable, and Oblivion. A lot of the art direction and character/enemy design was also actively trying to mimic the generic Holywood "fantasy" look and feel.

Also Dragon's Dogma kicked rear end.

While I'm clueless about what games everyone else has in mind, I'm not gonna include any of the good games like Dead Rising 1 and 2 when I see them.

Now Dead Rising 3 however

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Alaois posted:

Dragon's Dogma was conspicuously designed to look like Berserk

And then they took the Griffith and Guts armors out because THE DEVS ARE COWARDS the licensing agreement ran out. :argh:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean its weird to act like this wasnt a thing when half the JP publishers were going 'we need our games to be more western,' openly, in interviews, or farming them out to western devs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

remember when phil fish outright told some japanese dude that JAPANESE GAMES SUCK AND ARE DEAD and every gaming website was applauding him for dropping this truth bomb