Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Hangman vs Penta 22 33.85%
Swerve vs Hardy 1 1.54%
Wardlow vs Trent? 3 4.62%
Velvet vs Rosa 1 1.54%
Acclaimed vs Mogul Embassy 1 1.54%
Copeland vs Suzuki 37 56.92%
Total: 65 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Roddy beating OC is probably the only way that group carries any legitimacy until Cole gets back and I'm like 50/50 on it actually happening. Unless they have Roddy lose and Wardlow immediately find a way to cash in on OC, there's no way Wardlow is getting anywhere near the big plat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

A Fancy Hat posted:

I may be reading too much into it but I'm wondering if, somewhere down the line, we get Hook as a student of Joe.

Joe seemed kind of taken aback by Hook stepping up to him in the first place, then seemed to be kind of oddly pleased with Hook admitting he lost, giving Joe his respect, then leaving.

Hook's delivery left something to be desired but "Joe begrudgingly likes this kid for taking his beating and coming back tougher than before" is a solid concept.

A while back we had been getting Hook is Gonna Kill You chants and i think that is spiffy

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.

little munchkin posted:

real mystery why the guys who get their rear end kicked all of the time and do backstage segments where they pretend to learn how to make a peanut butter jelly sandwich aren't being seen as credible threats

I expressed this throughout the Devil angle that even as masked up baddies they were non credible threats but alas. I kind of reject the sentiment that they couldn't work with Cole on crutches cause Bret made the Hart Foundation work and Owen, Bulldog and Neidhart were goofies for a long time by then

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

rotinaj posted:

That’s just the thing, though

The world title and like 9 months of buildup went to establish a good midcard group of heels? That’s it? After the secret masked devil storyline finally ends, it’s just undisputed era 2: now with more wardlow and a gimpy Adam Cole?

It should have led to a main event level stable with the amount of coal shoveled into that steam engine, is all

I think Roddy beats OC and

SethSeries posted:

Roddy beating OC is probably the only way that group carries any legitimacy until Cole gets back and I'm like 50/50 on it actually happening. Unless they have Roddy lose and Wardlow immediately find a way to cash in on OC, there's no way Wardlow is getting anywhere near the big plat.

I don’t personally care that these guys aren’t in the main event, and you have to do something with them after spending so much time on the story only to have MJF be sitting out injured. I’d rather have them be good mid-card guys I generally enjoy watching than grating main event guys that annoy me.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

rotinaj posted:

That’s just the thing, though

The world title and like 9 months of buildup went to establish a good midcard group of heels? That’s it? After the secret masked devil storyline finally ends, it’s just undisputed era 2: now with more wardlow and a gimpy Adam Cole?

It should have led to a main event level stable with the amount of coal shoveled into that steam engine, is all

That storyline sucked better just to let them midcard until MJF comes back to do more cringe

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

For me I don't care about Cole's group because it's yet another rehash of NXT stuff from 2017. Yeah, the Kingdom is in it now and that calls back to ROH. Who cares though? It's still the same exact thing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dango Bango posted:

For me I don't care about Cole's group because it's yet another rehash of NXT stuff from 2017. Yeah, the Kingdom is in it now and that calls back to ROH. Who cares though? It's still the same exact thing.

Yes, this group that Adam Cole was in back in ROH is mere NXT stuff.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Yes, this group that Adam Cole was in back in ROH is mere NXT stuff.

Forget the labels then - point is it's the same thing and it's tired.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dango Bango posted:

Forget the labels then - point is it's the same thing and it's tired.

I must have forgotten that Wardlow was in the original Kingdom. Imagine thinking Wardlow being vaguely annoyed and teasing dissension with a group's leader is the same thing and tired.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Wardlow is forever the Orton, never the Batista

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Roddy is cool in the group and I like him screaming and doing backbreakers. I hope he wins OC's title and then has a bunch of vicious matches.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Wardlow has absolutely zero to offer as a singles guy so this is the best use of him anyone’s gonna get

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Ganso Bomb posted:

I think Roddy beats OC and

I don’t personally care that these guys aren’t in the main event, and you have to do something with them after spending so much time on the story only to have MJF be sitting out injured. I’d rather have them be good mid-card guys I generally enjoy watching than grating main event guys that annoy me.

Get the real trios titles onto BCG and then have Undisputed Kingdom resume their feud with them

edit; I just remembered The Kingdom already have the ROH tag titles, but those don't count

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Wardlow will always be boring. Trent should've won.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Have Wardlow team up with Shane Taylor when Lee leaves for BCC. Meaty Cleveland (area) boys tag team.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Glad I'm not a WWE fan anymore. Holy poo poo

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

wandler20 posted:

Wardlow will always be boring. Trent should've won.

Wardlow's the evergreen "guy fooled into joining a faction, inevitably betrayed."

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Holy poo poo indeed.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Evil Badman posted:

Wardlow's the evergreen "guy fooled into joining a faction, inevitably betrayed."

I like Wardlow fine, but at this point he’s definitely established his ceiling at “favorite midcarder”

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

YO THIS

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

e: okay yeah, poor taste here.

Alpha Kenny Juan fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 25, 2024

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Could we not spike the football over not enjoying the company with systemic sexual abuse built into the company culture?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

plenty of room to do that in the wwe thread anyways

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Evil Badman posted:

I still feel like the implication is supposed to be that he is watching this betrayal as it approaches and he knows better this time, and will preemptively betray the Undisputed Kingdom

Or the UK, either one

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

rotinaj posted:

I still feel like the implication is supposed to be that he is watching this betrayal as it approaches and he knows better this time, and will preemptively betray the Undisputed Kingdom

Or the UK, either one

I get that feeling too, so that's nice. He should probably stop falling for the initial pitches, though.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Wrestling is an abusive artform with a long, dark history. It's not all Vince. I understand where all the sentiment comes from, but try and keep talk of the big WWE situation in the WWE thread. It just keeps it cleaner and prevents potential blowups over a really hosed up situation.

Like, for real, I get it, but yeah, now's not really the time to treat it like any kind of win based on what team you support or company you watch. Lest we forget this company still features Ric Flair on television.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

SethSeries posted:

Roddy should win so they can start building OC up to face Joe. Sucks that the Devil guys don't have any heat but Cole and MJF are both injured so there's not much to be done there. I was kinda hoping they would remain loser fuckface nerds because at least they got crowd responses doing that. No one buys them as tough guys, especially the loving Kingdom.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I like the Kingdom and I never watched ROH pre-TK or saw them in any other context and I also don't think they work as the sort of badasses that they're trying to present themselves as. They work much better when they think they're total badasses but are actually pretty goofy and having good tag matches.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Evil Badman posted:

I get that feeling too, so that's nice. He should probably stop falling for the initial pitches, though.

If he can get a title while using these dorks, and also have gotten revenge on MJF, I feel like it would be worth it, in kayfabe. Just don’t rely on the kingdom guys when your back is turned, and strike first.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

rantmo posted:

They work much better when they think they're total badasses but are actually pretty goofy and having good tag matches.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I still like Wardlow and that match with Trent finally let him show off and sell a bit more. I feel like he's come back a bit more polished with his working with the partner piece of wrestling. They need to have him continue to face more credible competition though that was always the issue with him previously was munching through jobbers only to get smoked by anyone with credibility when it matters.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

Wardlow has absolutely zero to offer as a singles guy so this is the best use of him anyone’s gonna get

he's poo poo

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Wardlow rules, gently caress the haters.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

History Comes Inside! posted:

Agreed, Wardlow having good singles matches is the best use of him, he rules.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Wardlow needs the top knot back

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Thank you AEW for existing

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I still like Wardlow and that match with Trent finally let him show off and sell a bit more. I feel like he's come back a bit more polished with his working with the partner piece of wrestling. They need to have him continue to face more credible competition though that was always the issue with him previously was munching through jobbers only to get smoked by anyone with credibility when it matters.

I liked the match too, though not the parts where Trent was being brutalized!

Wardlow can have really fun matches. That Cage/Wardlow match was cool and reminded people of how cool they both can be.

I like that this heel turn looks to be breaking him out of the powerbomb zone where he can have more interesting matches.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Cody vs. Wardlow in a steel cage was good

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Wardlow is good. Not great. But really good.

The Undisputed Kingdom being a little DoA was inevitable after people started turned on the MJF reign and Cole got injured. That's fine. There are so many awesome performers in AEW that I don't really want to see these guys do anything big. Maybe Roddy can beat OC for the title. I would still prefer it if Takeshita did. The Family vs Omega/Jericho is loving DEAD! It's OVER! Let it loving DIE! Jericho and Sammy can challenge the Bucks for the titles after they win them at Revolution. Let the family mix it up with BCC or something.

Also: Did i miss a beat about Moriarty joining BCC? Was this an RoH thing?

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I like Wardlow's squashes and the match last night was good but also I'm not sure I'd buy him as a PPV title challenger or working a top level feud