Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Spray, why you being like this?

edit: Insufficient power.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

It’s the only thing which can cause that particular phenomenon, I’m better at spotting it happening than I am about actually noticing any of the other indicators for brownouts.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

bgreman posted:

scale up

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
They really need to go back and make railguns and launchers things you can just run a belt directly through.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Launch pad has the worst footprint in the game and I've never come up with a config that didn't look hideous.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Same, and artificial suns.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

LonsomeSon posted:

Same, and artificial suns.

Yeah. They should be squared off and the sun should be in like a glass containment field. It would still look cool.

There used to be a mod that told you on the info screen how many deposits you had miners on on any given planet, does anyone remember what it was called?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The crew released a 3rd anniversary blog post:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1366540/announcements/detail/3982938039529304716

Looks like development is gonna slow down due to life stuff but when they get back to it they want to do some wild stuff with creating your own orbital space stations. Not sure what most of that stuff is but the last one looks like some sort of warpgate

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Sounds like they have a few things planned for spring. New sorters, towers, and “skills” for Icarus?

Maybe the next really big update will be next winter.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Definitely sounds like an update that could take that long. Interested in the coming update!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Came back after not playing for 2-ish years and man, I forgot how terrible I am at even getting started on an initial mall. I end up just standing still in the game and feeling overwhelmed. This has always been a problem with me and logistical planning in games.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Iron sheets, gears, stone, green circuit things, and magnetic rings.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I mean planning the mall. I always worry that I'm somehow making it as inefficient as possible.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Iron sheets, gears, stone, green circuit things, and magnetic rings.

These are a few of my favorite things?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Oldstench posted:

I mean planning the mall. I always worry that I'm somehow making it as inefficient as possible.

It's your starter mall. If it gets you belts it works. Efficiency be damned.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Oldstench posted:

The best mall is one which makes poo poo you need and puts it into boxes for you. One assembler per building, stick them cheek-to-jowl and make sure to remember to stack-limit the boxes!

Once you have all the poo poo you need to implement a solution ready to hand, it's remarkably easier to think about the solution, or at least it is for me.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Oldstench posted:

someone said somewhere upthread and it works great, your "starter mall" is just a line of assemblers and:

Stone
Gear
Iron plate

Assembler

Green circuit
Magnetic coil

Storage box

is almost all the buildings. you can make motors or whatever and replace one of the lines and just weave it in as needed

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Oldstench posted:

You can go deep into the endgame with just one assembler making belts. You'll eventually want to upgrade that assembler but that's about all the planning required.

Your mall really really doesn't need to be efficient; even the most commonly used buildings are used much less than any science input or other bulk material.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The only slightly fancy things I've seen downloadable blueprints of starter malls do are:

- order the last few buildings in such a way that you can run glass and brick in from the opposite end of the mall and neatly integrate assemblers for chemical plants and the like

- patch in tier 2 belt manufacturing without spaghetti

The mall I built from scratch also builds these things, it just looks uglier and takes up about 10% more space

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Gadzuko posted:

I don't think it's possible to calculate any kind of optimal mine:ils ratio because it's dependent on where your smelters are and how much research you've put into ship cargo/speed. A mining planet half the galaxy away will have a lot more travel time.

I don't use PLS at all, they are strictly worse than ILS so I don't bother manufacturing them except as an intermediate.

They aren't important or necessary to use, but PLS do have a use that makes them not strictly worse than ILS: they have a smaller exclusion radius so you can pack them closer together. I tend to use them to help with space constraints.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The secret is that nothing that uses gears uses glass (except the traffic monitor which you don't need yet) and that the only things that use glass and iron are the lab and liquid storage. So you have to make a line of the five initial ingredients (also you should put an engine assembler at the front and immediately start making MkII sorters). It doesn't matter what order they go in until the end and then you finish with lab, storage, chemical factory, the two oil buildings, and then I put a couple of assemblers on the end making foundation. The plasma exciters are the only real pain in the rear end, you'll just have to build a separate line and run it in, or put a box in between the two oil building assemblers that you manually fill with exciters.

Depending on where your ores are and how much spaghetti you want you can do it like the U shape above or a straight line. You don't need the proliferators either but that's an old mall and I was being overenthusiastic

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 24, 2024

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It seems to get rarely mentioned, but that line of 10-11 assemblers you throw together at the start of the game have green circuits and magnetic coils right there, so I always put my blue science labs right after the assemblers. And then a box for each of those components because you’re always going to want a few hundred circuits or rings.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yep. Also that's not a fully efficient design above, it depends on what your tolerance for trickle production is, mine is very low. 4 assemblers will fill a mk ii belt with coils or circuits, but you need six for a full belt of gears. Also I start the iron line with the remnants of the iron lines feeding the circuit and gear line, and if you leave it going it'll fill everything up eventually, but I tend to add a second iron line starting wherever the first one is getting exhausted.

I used to use a set of blueprints that had all the smelters and assemblers in stages but I've just been building them from scratch lately because it's almost more of a hassle to get everything to line up right in your blueprints (oh and to fix that one sorter I keep forgetting to fix in the blueprint)

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Smiling Demon posted:

They aren't important or necessary to use, but PLS do have a use that makes them not strictly worse than ILS: they have a smaller exclusion radius so you can pack them closer together. I tend to use them to help with space constraints.

I knew someone would say this lol. And it's true! But since building space is functionally infinite I don't really view it as a concern, and so I don't design my BPs with space concerns in mind. Especially now that the dark fog has made soil a non-issue even without mods.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It seems to get rarely mentioned, but that line of 10-11 assemblers you throw together at the start of the game have green circuits and magnetic coils right there, so I always put my blue science labs right after the assemblers. And then a box for each of those components because you’re always going to want a few hundred circuits or rings.

Same. My most recent game I wound up building that initial line to put together nothing but belts and sorters, and then once I got started on the real mall I repurposed it to just make circuits and coils for blue science. Worked out great.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
Going to shout out a new favorite mod: AssemblerVerticalConstruction
Ever wanted assemblers and smelters to stack like labs do? Tired of factories that stretch half-way around the planet? STACK THEM! Double your consumption and output without doubling your footprint!
Fake edit: Oh holy poo poo, it works with chemical plants and refiners too!
It is as stupid looking as it sounds.

Fire Storm fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 24, 2024

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Fire Storm posted:

Going to shout out a new favorite mod: AssemblerVerticalConstruction
Ever wanted assemblers and smelters to stack like labs do? Tired of factories that stretch half-way around the planet? STACK THEM! Double your consumption and output without doubling your footprint!
Fake edit: Oh holy poo poo, it works with chemical plants and refiners too!

I’ll try this later, that’s a thing I’ve wanted for a long time. Now if only sorters could actually reach other levels, it’d be near-perfect. I’d love to have a triple stack of belts running beside my assemblers rather than 3 lines progressively further away. Aside from labs and storages, height feels weirdly underused in DSP.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
You know, a good QoL tool would be the ability to just move a building without demolishing and rebuilding it. Like, let me click on a turret or an ILS to just drag it to another location with everything inside it and all its settings intact. Is there a mod that lets you do that?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That seems to undermine a lot of the game philosophy.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The picker dollies mod in Factorio (which does exactly this) makes planning builds so much easier. Lay down your buildings, then you can nudge them around to get cleaner looking builds. I don't think there's a philosophy being enforced in picking up and putting down buildings when the only cost to do so is time (and sanity).

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Yeah, given that there's effectively no tear down and rebuild costs, it seems like something that could be a nice QoL improvement locked behind a mid tier research upgrade

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

This is too many stone blocks. I, apparently, do not need this many stone blocks.

Convert half your stone into silicon ore or sulfuric acid, even despite the terrible ratios.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Why convert the stone to anything; it's really only used for blocks and glass. Just leave it in the ground!

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Yeah uh, you should be prioritizing getting silicon ore asap, since it's super inefficient to make from stone, and the complexity of sulfuric acid and wasteful ness of it makes you want to avoid making it through chemical plants. The idea is to bootstrap yourself till you get off world then get silicon, then one of the two priorities for the next star is typically the crystals and sulfuric acid. Cleans your base up tremendously, and sulfuric acid is unlimited and all your spending is the warp drives

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Stone is primarily used in bulk for glass, but it's actually used for that quite a lot. Making quantum chips requires more stone than it does iron or copper, and an equal amount of stone to titanium (assuming you're using grating crystals for the Casimir recipe).

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
The only time I've considered stone to silicon longer term was in a starting system which had total system silicon reserves of only ~200,000. I didn't even know that was possible before I got hit with it. I didn't end up playing through that seed though.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Alkydere posted:

The crew released a 3rd anniversary blog post:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1366540/announcements/detail/3982938039529304716

Looks like development is gonna slow down due to life stuff but when they get back to it they want to do some wild stuff with creating your own orbital space stations. Not sure what most of that stuff is but the last one looks like some sort of warpgate

Content update before spring festival? As in.. in the next couple weeks?

Also, if anyone didn't read this, the real life stuff isn't illness or anything like that. It seems they are just taking a couple months to work on not-DSP (content; bugs and optimizations will still happen) to avoid burnout, etc.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
I have a problem. Highly modded game, luminosity boost, extra strong Dark Fog, etc.
Dark fog is taking most of my power.

And they are getting angry about it. (was 0% before launching rockets)

I'm going to have to do some pruning of the Fog.
Also my planet is at 10GW consumption while most of the stuff is idle thanks to stacking production facilities, but either because of the stacking or code improvement, I am still getting double digit frame rate, which is nice.

If I wanted to get better FPS, I take it my video card is my bottleneck. It's currently at 100% 3D usage.
CPU: i9-12900K (not overclocked)
RAM: 64GB DDR4 2666MHz
VIDEO: Radeon RX 580 8GB ram.

Now I just gotta decide if tax money goes to Nvidia or AMD. Does more GPU power (in NVidia's favor) or GPU memory (AMD's favor) matter more for a game like this?

EDIT: How do you completely destroy hives? I've gone into a few, completely wiped them out as far as I can tell and they are just listed as Core Destoyed.
DOUBLE EDIT: Destroy the relays flying around in your system, that's how.

Fire Storm fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 29, 2024

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

My dark fog order of operations when entering a new system with dark fog is: Destroy all relays in the system. After a few minutes this will de-power the ground bases making them much easier to kill.

While waiting for them to run out of juice, have a fun space battle with a hive. They aren't getting any mass because relays are gone.

Once you've done that for a bit, wipe up all the now unpowered ground bases.

Go finish off the hive. Bam, system cleared

DrHammond fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 29, 2024

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Quote is not edit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

New Update!

Highlights:
-Stack Sorter no longer gets upgrades and now there's a level 4 sorter: "Pile Sorter"
-Jamming turret: uses ammo to slow up to 60 units. T1 ammo is a 50% movement/attack reduction for half a second, T2 is 80% for 0.8 seconds.
-Short ranged plasma cannon: uses the same ammo as the anti-orbital one but blows big holes in ground units instead.
-Icarus can now "throw" things (the slot with the bomb logo in ammo) to physically chuck items at enemies. Suggested ammo are combustible units, water and jamming ammo.
-Battle Bases now have a row of blue-tinted inventory slots. Blue slots cannot be pulled from by sorters, bases cannot put picked up items in blue slots. Basically a space to put your air fighters into.