Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
Trying to build up the motivation/willpower to plan out some kind of ILS beach-head; which means I should probably plan out production for something better than copper ammo and level 1 missles.

Landing on planets with 6 dark fog bases is just...I dunno, immediately demotivating?

The dark fog on the home planet were completely manageable, but if I have to deal with these on every planet I land on...just :effort:

Maybe I should restart without them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Level 1 missiles with survey towers or whatever they’re called make quick work of a few bases.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Don't even bother with ballistic ammo beyond the very early game imo, just do missiles. Landing on other planets with multiple bases is scary at first, but a handful of missile turrets supported by signal towers and analysis bases can handle a LOT of fog. Aggro will be slow to build on a mining outpost compared to a big factory planet too, so even if you don't clear them out, the multiple bases aren't as threatening as they seem. Plus blueprinting an ILS that imports missiles linked to a few turrets really isn't that much work

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 2, 2024

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Advanced Mining platforms really need a slot for drones.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
I'm kinda ambivalent on adding more turrets. While I appreciate more content, there are existing turrets that don't really serve any purpose. The cannon turret seems to occupy such a minor niche that I couldn't justify using it.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I automated enough basic implosion cannon ammo that I could turret-creep unwanted fog landings off of my homeworld and snag their sweet geothermal spikes, and it was part of the farming positions I established on another planet in the home system.

Copper machine gun ammo is useful for a really long time, if you’re doing what I did and farming material for sorting and export, especially if you lay out some cannons to do area damage to attackers.

Farming offworld was more trouble that it was worth, farming on the homeworld eventually ran into space constraints but at least everything could easily be sorted into Planetary towers for distribution. Still ran into problems with poo poo like Prisms backing up.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Once you have a decent ground fleet and/or antimatter ammo you can just run around the planet and watch bases explode. It takes some solid damage techs but just know that the missile base beachhead days are numbered.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

necrotic posted:

Level 1 missiles with survey towers or whatever they’re called make quick work of a few bases.

Yea, this is what I do. Land, drop your missile complex, run signal towers towards whatever enemy base you feel like turning to slag. I’ve built my beachheads on the poles so far, but there’s nothing I’ve noticed that says I have to do that.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

My beachhead blueprint is a line so I dumped it near the equator but yeah. 45 missile launchers connected to a spaceport tower and a few generators (fusion or antimatter work fine). Then stomp across the planet and cover them with relays does a lot of work. Especially if you're using level 2 or 3 ammo.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I don't think you even need to use that many missile turrets, I usually use about fifteen. It really is trivial to just march across the planet with sensor towers and kill everything, then set the turrets to attack near orbit stuff as well. By the time in the game you're dropping ILSs full of missiles on planets you're usually at the point where the space hives are very little threat either

Edit: also even if you're farming the ground bases, gauss turrets lose their utility as soon as you have the laser ones.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Gauss vs laser is a question of how much peak power capacity you want to lay out in your perimeter and my answer to that for my fog-farming world was always “less.”

It’s the one place I used titanium ammo, copper shipped to everywhere and on that planet there was a row of assemblers upgrading them.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I didn't do the maths on laser turret power draw versus making ammo power draw, definitely not titanium ammo either so I'm happy to concede the point. I was churning out antimatter fuel rods at such a rate that I was never worried about power but it probably was wasteful. They do look good when you've got a row of them zapping fog units though.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

gauss might have some marginal on-paper advantages if you don't factor in time but there is absolutely no way the time wasted loving around with ammo logistical supply trains would ever not be better spent on just generating a little bit more power capacity for lasers, which can be freely shunted wherever it needs to be at a moment's notice

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 3, 2024

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Nah there was nothing there but some silicon mines and the defenses, absolutely no reason to put anything else there until I was ready to defend it with planetary shields and plasma cannons and turn it into my antimatter/chemistry world.

I could have fit most of that poo poo into the homeworld too but didn’t feel like painting more foundation around, and I was going to put production other than smelting offworld eventually anyway.

I do tend to do awkward tech leapfrogs when I’m learning new stuff for the first time, I only built missiles to use on Icarus until I was ready to start actually going after the home system fog, then I put together a dozen assemblers for tech 2 missiles. By then I was already bringing O crystals and acid in from out of system.

Maybe my next start, now that I’m familiar with the turrets and how they can fit into my mall without a bunch of extra bullshit? I didn’t feel limited at all by shipping copper rounds and cannon shells around though, it’s not really a big deal.

EL Skirvo
Jun 17, 2006

I think Doctor Thunder is probably the best modeler alive today, I just really love all his work.
Man this game. I saw the dark fog updates and finally decided to go ahead and pick it up awhile back and it's amazing. I'm almost 200 hours in now and setting up my first sphere which, since I recently saw hellraiser IV: Bloodlines, will be an enormous if somewhat crude lament configuration. Just started launching the rockets today, can't wait to see it finished!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

EL Skirvo posted:

Man this game. I saw the dark fog updates and finally decided to go ahead and pick it up awhile back and it's amazing. I'm almost 200 hours in now and setting up my first sphere which, since I recently saw hellraiser IV: Bloodlines, will be an enormous if somewhat crude lament configuration. Just started launching the rockets today, can't wait to see it finished!

You're going to need more rockets. No, more. MORE. And depending on how much you filled in: more sails.

Also making a sphere is a pain but you can then copy-paste the design for multiple shells if you want.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I designed my own sphere once. Never again. Downloaded blueprints forever

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Wafflecopper posted:

I designed my own sphere once. Never again. Downloaded blueprints forever

Yep. Once is enough.

EL Skirvo
Jun 17, 2006

I think Doctor Thunder is probably the best modeler alive today, I just really love all his work.

Alkydere posted:

You're going to need more rockets. No, more. MORE. And depending on how much you filled in: more sails.

Also making a sphere is a pain but you can then copy-paste the design for multiple shells if you want.

I started out with about 50 launchers my home planet and it's been non-stop minor disasters ever since lol. Hydrogen got low, then planar filters, then processors, then circuits, steel etc. Just running around like a maniac plugging holes in production, I've at least doubled my factory and am having an absolute blast.

Designing the sphere took a couple hours and wasn't the most intuitive process ever, but I got it done. I really wish there were a copy\paste function for sections of the sphere, cause I ended up having to setup each of the six sides of my hellraiser cube by hand, which definitely sucked.

Of course I had to make it the max size so it'll probably take literal years to build but so far it looks pretty drat sweet up in the sky!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

EL Skirvo posted:

I started out with about 50 launchers my home planet and it's been non-stop minor disasters ever since lol. Hydrogen got low, then planar filters, then processors, then circuits, steel etc. Just running around like a maniac plugging holes in production, I've at least doubled my factory and am having an absolute blast.

Designing the sphere took a couple hours and wasn't the most intuitive process ever, but I got it done. I really wish there were a copy\paste function for sections of the sphere, cause I ended up having to setup each of the six sides of my hellraiser cube by hand, which definitely sucked.

Of course I had to make it the max size so it'll probably take literal years to build but so far it looks pretty drat sweet up in the sky!

That is a delight. Now fill one planet entirely with EM rail launchers and devote another one to making sails for it and you should have that done lickety split.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I really wish the EM Launchers could be set along belts like the new turrets.

But honestly...I just want dyson missile launchers that aren't absolutely massive and awkward in shape.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I would take absolutely massive if they were just blocky tbh.

EL Skirvo
Jun 17, 2006

I had a lot more trouble placing the em cannons personally, the missle silos fit together really nicely if you just keep flipping them around. I'm still wrestling with the best way to space out the em ones and easily power them though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJtVe9I_m98

Came across this dude's box\sorter mall bus today, super clever. Beats my tangled mall of logistics bots for sure, and doesn't take up half the planet like that nilaus bus does.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Missile silos can pack tighter now.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How do you guys handle adding proliferator and building upgrades to black box factories?

Starting out, I'm building compact blueprints for major components and products. I'm anticipating adding variants for Mk 2 and Mk 3 buildings, and also variants once I make proliferator.

Should I just make them less compact and avoid using building-to-building transfers the first time so I can have space to spray all the intermediate products without making separate proliferator-supported blueprints later on?

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
I spray all ingredients prior to adding them to the logistic bot box network.

I don't care about intermediate buildings not being sprayed as you can't get the extra products bonus, only the speed bonus, on those recipes. If you want that you'll probably have to move spray around with the logistics bots and do an intermediate spray complete with conveyor belt.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Everything gets sprayed on its way to getting used, that way no matter where I eventually put down a logibot box to siphon trashed inventory back into the production chain, everything un- or undersprayed gets touched up before manufacturing.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The thing I had the most fun with my last play through was setting up a continuous belt and sorter system to deal with all the stuff coming out of my dark fog base farming. It's not complicated really but boy is it satisfying seeing all that stuff go flying around the loop and splitting off into the right boxes or ILSs.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

LonsomeSon posted:

Everything gets sprayed on its way to getting used, that way no matter where I eventually put down a logibot box to siphon trashed inventory back into the production chain, everything un- or undersprayed gets touched up before manufacturing.

I spray a few things at production source, though, like spray itself, fuel rods, etc.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
I spray everything right before its used and also on its way to storage, coal is abundant. I don't worry about if I'm double spraying anything.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Yeah deffo don’t because you can’t spray things the same level of juice twice, they just pass through sprayers without effect.

The cost is an extra sprayer per build, not terrible even at the very beginning when you’re manually packing silicon in.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m not super worried about cost, but I was having fun making compact black boxes and realized I was making them too compact to do anything but spray the inputs and final outputs.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

I finally fired up DSP for another game, and my first with the Dark Fog. I played up through yellow science and decided I’m not into the Dark Fog. I just prefer building, and it was annoying rather than satisfying to build an outpost or clear other planets to get resources. I’m glad they left it as a toggle.

It’s basically my arc with Factorio. My first rocket launch was in a game with biters, but then I played again without biters and worked on a megafactory.

Edit:does it get more satisfying later in the game when you aren’t fighting the lack of good logistics stations?

Graniteman fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 24, 2024

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

They are annoying, but they also allow for an additional tier of production machines and serve as a trickle-source for "not yet obtained" resources.

Overall, I'd say the annoyance worked itself out over time and I view them more as a net positive.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Wait, they allow for higher tier buildings? How?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Deki posted:

Wait, they allow for higher tier buildings? How?

Higher level dark fog drop better loot which lets you make secret tech. There's only a few but they are quite good if you want to optimize for space for whatever reason.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Rynoto posted:

Higher level dark fog drop better loot which lets you make secret tech. There's only a few but they are quite good if you want to optimize for space for whatever reason.

To be explicit there's a more efficient research lab, replicator and smelter that you can research once you've collected the parts for them as debris from blowing up fog units.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The most limited resource. Space.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Less machines = less calculations = more machines before your computer grinds to a halt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It's time to upgrade off of your old Windows 7.