Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
It’s not that big of a deal you fuckin weirdos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dune (2021) I like this movie more as a Villeneuve project than as a Dune project. The design and aesthetic is immaculate, V has a way of conveying grandness in mechanical design like no other working director, think how large the ships leaving Caladan look compared to how small all the ships in Star Wars feel for instance. That said the film is brought down by how awkward the ending feels, you almost want to end the film at the fall of the Atredies, but then you make the start of the second film awkward so they have to tack on Jessica and Paul's escape and meeting Chani which feels too long to be a coda but too short to be a third act. The constant visions of Chani that Paul starts to receive also start becoming a hindrance to the narrative before too long.

The film also struggles with some of its actor's performances. Issacs is great, Ferguson is great in some scenes but in others feels oddly removed from whats going on, not in a mentally checked out acting way but in a waiting-for-lunchbreak kinda way. Timmy is the real problem, I feel about him the same way people feel about Shaliene Woodley in Ferrari, dude is completely outside of the film. Everyone else is at least a trained actor and then this little highschool play actor comes out and fumbles every line, stares into space, and generally does his best to remind you that his skills as an actor are nil. Also, were the colored contacts or whatever bothering Zendaya, she's fine in the film but she is squinting really hard in every scene like her eyes hurt.

It's one of the odd cases where I think the film would work better once you get all the parts together, sort of like LOTR but hopefully a bit shorter. Still a step down from BR2049 though.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yikes, I thought Timothée Chalamet was absolutely amazing in the movie. I had my doubts, but after watching this four times now, he is Paul Atreides.

I think once both films are spliced together, the continuation "issue" will be resolved.

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
I shouldn't have ordered anything to eat while watching The Zone of Interest . Every time I'd go for a bite of my sandwich it felt in bad taste because of how horrific every moment of that movie was. If there was a part loud enough to disguise the sound of me biting into my meal, it was because the sound of industrialized murder was blaring. There were a lot of really incredible scenes in this film though. The first shot where it pans to the gate of Auschwitz was really powerful, and you are constantly bombarded with horrific background noise. What sits with me the most is that scene where Hoss' wife is showing her mother the garden, and the camera zooms into shots of each flower while the background noise gets louder and more horrifying before the screen fills with red. Hard to recommend this movie just because of how uncomfortable it is to sit through but if a movie is meant to make you feel something strongly then it definitely succeeds.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
I decided to watch Meet Joe Black last night. Mostly because the director made Midnight Run and Beverly Hills Cop, which are movies I'd probably give a rare 9/10 to.

First hour was really fun. There's a great scene that plays with melodrama and your epectations in such a way that I imagine it must have been a wonderful hilarious moment to experience in a theater. Anthony Hopkins and Brad Pitt are good.

Then it just kind of goes on, and on, and on. I suppose Midnight Run has that problem too a bit but here it really felt like the movie had spread itself thin, with the good elements (the humor, stuff about love, Joe Black being scary and weird but also really hot) scattered all about among this very 90's feeling subplot of a "big merger" happening at the main character's company.

5/10. maybe 6/10 because I like the potential it had. Now lets see if I have the courage to watch Gigli.

Fighting Elegy fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 13, 2024

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I think Leto was great for the part, but I understand the general hatred for him because he’s a lovely cult leader.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Leto's performance just felt forced, too weird for the sake of weird. You need someone with natural charisma (or be David Bowie) to sell that poo poo.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 14, 2024

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm okay with the cult leader part, just not his existence

Asako I and II Interesting film, it's just one despite the title, by the director of Drive My Car. A woman from Osaka falls in love at first sight with a kind of manic pixie dream boyfriend. Has a very sweet and passionate relationship that helps her open up as a person before he simply disappears from her life. Years later working in Tokyo she meets a man who looks just like him but acts totally differently. After some misgivings about if falling into a relationship with him would be just because he looks the same she does finally commit and they lead a happy domestic life for five years. The most interesting thing to me is that you actually see this plot a lot but with men. Men on the cusp of a giant change in their lives, or facing the autumn of their lives suddenly lashing out to try to recapture their youth with a newer younger woman. La Piscene, La Notte, Le Peau Douce. But you don't see many films that go full Anna Karenina and have the woman loving up in the same way, and then suffering immensely. Ultimately, Hamaguchi and the writer of the original novel are much kinder to women then Tolstoy ever was, go read The Kreutzer Sonata or look up how he treated his own wife for more information if you were deceived by his eloquence into thinking him a friend of the female sex, but the film pulls no punches even when they reconcile partially in that she not only hosed up and broke any trust between them she also managed to completely sever herself from their friend group. And all she got out of her running is the realization that Baku is exactly the kind of flake and uncaring free spirit her friend warned her about in the beginning, she just couldn't see it until she had actually lost something chasing after it.

Not nearly as brilliant as Drive My Car, you can feel some of the struggles he had with budget and filming and despite some flashes of greatness like the introduction of Baku and her with the firecrackers going off there is nothing notable about the actual cinematography. Even the Tokyo and Osaka locations have nothing of the beauty of Hokkaido or Tokyo in DMC.
Still a good watch. Maybe not as a date night film

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

remigious posted:

I think Leto was great for the part, but I understand the general hatred for him because he’s a lovely cult leader.

Yeah he's an abhorrent person but that works for the role in 2049 where you need someone who exudes inherent scumminess to make certain things click. Part of the reason Luv is so great in the movie is because as soon as you get a glimpse of how Wallace interacts with her you understand 100% why she is like that.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

srypher posted:

I shouldn't have ordered anything to eat while watching The Zone of Interest .

someone at the showing i went to was loudly munching on popcorn during the very quiet last ~10 minutes of the movie. like dude wtf? have some self awareness.

also unless you're seeing a comic book movie or slapstick comedy, just get popcorn and not anything that could be considered a meal.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Ocean's Eleven, Twelve and Thirteen
Never seen these before so I binged them all.
Eleven - Decent heist flick with a bit too much magic technology mumbo-jumbo for my liking. The cast is charismatic but with so many it's hard to really latch on to them. It's obviously a Clooney/Pitt vehicle, but still. Bernie Mac is criminally underused. Don Cheadle has the worst fake English accent I've ever heard.
Twelve - Overly complicated plot that's completely undone by the terrible contrivance where the first 80% of the movie doesn't matter at all because the last 20% shows "what really happened" which renders everything that came before pointless. Bernie Mac was so criminally underused that they just threw him in a jail cell for half the movie. Cheadle's accent is somehow worse? The capoeira laser scene was hilariously stupid.
Thirteen - Back to hotel heists. Way too much magic technology poo poo. Way too much suspension of disbelief for me (both chunnel drills are allowed to dig under the strip with no problems from the city?, etc.) Bernie Mac is criminally underused. Complete waste of a Bob Einstein cameo. Cheadle is barely in the movie, but the accent still sucks.

Overall I give the series a meh/10. If I don't see another crash zoom for a year, I'll be fine.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I thought Cheadle was an english actor for years after seeing Oceans. I just figured that's how they sounded

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I don't know how many times I've seen Ocean's 11, and I've somehow seen Ocean's 12 more than that. I will freely admit that they aren't good movies, and the plot to 12 is pretty bad. They are both just really fun watchable movies though, and just a really good all around homage to, and fully in the spirit of the rat pack.

The less said about 13 the better.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You gonna check out Oceans Eight.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

In Training posted:

You gonna check out Oceans Eight.
I doubt it. I'm pretty heisted out and I really don't care for Awkwafina or Mindy Kaling.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Dicks: The Musical: I have mixed feelings about this film. I've been wanting to see it ever since I saw the trailer because it looked ludicrously absurd. And it is. I overall liked it because it's dumb as hell, knows it's dumb, and has fun with it. Seeing Nathan Lane chew and spit deviled ham at the muppet Sewer Boys is pretty great, despite his credit line including him saying "Of all the humiliations I've had in show business, and they are legion, THIS may be the most humiliating moment." Megan Mullally as the "identical twins"'s dementia-ridden mother is fantastic, and the cameo of her sentient and flight-capable pussy being a late act hero got a pretty good laugh out of me. Bowen Yang is funny and is definitely the God this musical deserves.

If I had to explain what this film was in a nutshell, it's an absurdist musical parody of The Parent Trap proudly written by the two gay leads centering on two assholes instead of teenage girls. I mention that because the film wants you to know who wrote it. It says so in the beginning of the film. It also helps the audience understand a lot of the humor that is about to ensue. Some jokes probably went over my head because I'm a cis straight man. Still, I thought it was funny and I'm glad I saw it, but I don't think it's something I go back and watch again.

That being said, I will never forget The Sewer Boys.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I'd call Oceans 11 a good film. The tech isn't even that egregious for the genre and it's mostly just camera and phone hacking. Everyone is just a lot of fun in it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
DUNC - Finally got to see it, as I’ve been patiently waiting for a cinema rerelease. It’s alright, I like all the future designs, when they try.

Everyone acts so weirdly stilted though. Javier Bardem says his lines really quickly, like he’s getting them out before he forgets them. I don’t know if it was just my cinema, but the music was incredibly loud, and a ton of the dialogue was quietly whispered or just lost in the mix.

I definitely needed to see this in a cinema though. If i’d watched this at home, I’d have got maybe half an hour in or so, and then wandered off. Probably never to return.

6/10

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i saw dunc opening weekend at an imax theater an hour away from my place bc most of them were sold out. i remember it looked kinda pretty but i cant remember poo poo about the plot. it was pretty boring and uninteresting :shrug:

i love some DV movies but this one is just too emotionally unengaging for me despite the nice visuals

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fire and Ice Great film. It understands the Sword and Sorcery fantasy better then ninety percent of the film's contemporaries. A good counterpart to Milius's Conan film. Less interested in the philosophical underpinnings of humanity, collective vs individual, and more interested in the emotional side of the characters. Nekron's lashing out from his entitlement and lack of father figure surrounding himself with thralls and rejecting any form of reconciliation, Larn's quest to avenge his village and recreate his family with Teegra, Darkwolf's quest to put right the wrongs of his line by killing Nekron (whom I believe to be his son).

I usually don't like Rotoscoping, but somehow Bakshi always uses it well. The action is perfectly choreographed. Swords and axes have weight, spears and arrows puncture with a thud and drop the victim immediately, you can see the figures struggling to climb ropes or scale mountains. Everything has a weight to it and is well considered; it adds just that extra bit of verisimilitude to the fighting that separates it from something like He Man or Gi Joe. Larn's first escape and Darkwolf's assault on Icepeak both stand out as exceptionally well done sequences.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Altered States: All of the effects look great and any of the visions are wild to watch. The primal human makeup and subsequent rampage is a lot of fun. And the whole idea of scientist obsessed with his crazy theory to the detriment of his family, coupled with the idea of a man being most happy in a primitive life of hunting away from modern trappings of marriage, is a great idea for a film. The only issue is there's just too much extra fat around all of this. It's a bit too long and hard to care about some of the philosophical ramblings. It really could have ended 10 minutes earlier than it chose to. But they wanted a power of love overcoming emptiness and obsession.

It made me think of Carpenter or Cronenberg who would have a leaner version. But Russel brings some fantastic visual style and hate on the church again at least. Not a bad watch overall.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Shrimp, short film directed by Zelda Williams. Though its more of a pilot for a TV show it feels like. The characters seem down to earth and interesting, obviously a little too short to sink your teeth into but a fun little watch. Reminded me of the stories my friends, who work in the BDSM clubs and events, tell me.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Aftersun (5/5): I'm going to be thinking about this movie for a long, long time and can't wait to watch it again. The very definition of slow-burn and one of the best slice-of-life stories I've ever seen, the direction is beautiful and it's anchored by an astonishing performance by Paul Mescal. The ordinary, everyday tragedy of it, the extraordinary in the ordinary suffering of an unimportant human being who is the world to another unimportant human being. The amount of strength required to hide how much pain you're in, and to hide from those you love the most how miserable you are. All the warning signs that you couldn't have seen when they happened but it will haunt you forever that you didn't.

The final ten minutes is nothing short of a masterpiece. God, what a movie.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Argyle
I went into the movie with no context or knowledge beyond the fact that it's some kind of Spy Action Comedy.
It was that, so I was satisfied with it. It's a perfectly passable movie.
It was stupid, but I don't mind that.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Mat Cauthon posted:

Yeah he's an abhorrent person but that works for the role in 2049 where you need someone who exudes inherent scumminess to make certain things click. Part of the reason Luv is so great in the movie is because as soon as you get a glimpse of how Wallace interacts with her you understand 100% why she is like that.
Luv was the other character who really put me off. Her and Wallace both have their Enigmatism knobs turned up to ludicrous levels, and everything they say is so drat hokey. That would make total sense if they were supposed to be reddit style 'twisted fuckin psychopath :smuggo:' losers, but imho the film is clearly in love with them and really wants you to find them enchanting and intimidating.

Beverly Hills Cop - fuckin hell I love this film so much. a perfect movie. one of my favourite soundtracks ever. the good guys are all so drat charming and likeable, while the bad guy is charismatic and mysterious but still grounded. so many great characters, even side parts like Serge in the gallery or the 'free bananas' dude in the hotel. funny in the same way as hanging out with a bunch of funny people, not the weird fourth-wall/character breaking poo poo that is all most comedies seem to be able to muster up these days. 5/5

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

toiletbrush posted:

Beverly Hills Cop - fuckin hell I love this film so much. a perfect movie. one of my favourite soundtracks ever. the good guys are all so drat charming and likeable, while the bad guy is charismatic and mysterious but still grounded. so many great characters, even side parts like Serge in the gallery or the 'free bananas' dude in the hotel. funny in the same way as hanging out with a bunch of funny people, not the weird fourth-wall/character breaking poo poo that is all most comedies seem to be able to muster up these days. 5/5

My favorite parts of Beverly Hills Cop are absolutely the parts where the rich people hate him and the working stiffs want to help him.

(Also: that banana guy was Damon Wayans in his screen debut)

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Queenpins is exactly the kind of ripped-from-the-headlines goof we used to get in the theatres, now just delivered to Netflix and buried. A breezy, enjoyable comedy about extreme couponing turned criminal, it still has some moments of unexpected gravitas.

The cast was great, including Kristen Bell, Joel McHale, Vince Vaughn and my new favorite Paul Walter Hauser. Nothing earth-shattering here, but the big moments are played so well it kinda feels novel, even though it's really not.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Vertigo loving hate when you see a film this good cause it's gonna make everything else seem worse for the next month. Perfect hosed up toxic relationship mixed with a wife killing and a psychosexual look at make neuroses. Literally what more could you want and oh yeah it's loving gorgeous.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

The Earrings of Madame de: The dumb parts of A Hero of Our Time brought to film, without the beautiful scenery.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Maximum Overdrive: Threw this on last night because I wanted something schlocky and bad as background noise while I sleeved cards. Growing up, I had always heard it was bad, cheesy, not worth watching... and honestly, it was actually a surprisingly good movie. The very end is a bit silly, but overall it's a solid movie, the characters act believable and while some people do act like dumbfucks, it's almost always presented as "This person has cracked under the stress" and not "This person needs to be stupid to move the plot along". Also, small details like them showing the machines communicating through flashing headlights at each other or blaring horns as a group rather than just seemingly knowing where people are are nice touches. The closest thing I can call it is a smart zombie movie, where the people working on it actually put thought into things like "How do the machines know where people are" rather than just "Oh, they're drawn to humans because... reasons".

I'd say it's a solid 6, maybe 7 out of 10. Definitely worth a watch at least once.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

Vertigo loving hate when you see a film this good cause it's gonna make everything else seem worse for the next month. Perfect hosed up toxic relationship mixed with a wife killing and a psychosexual look at make neuroses. Literally what more could you want and oh yeah it's loving gorgeous.

And the soundtrack is perfect. Can't be beat.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
Maximum Overdrive is King’s only directorial effort, and it was back in his cocaine-frenzy days. He has since disowned it as a “movie for morons”, which kinda makes me want to watch it.

Edit: the “Production” section of the Wikipedia page for this film is a wild ride:

King rode a motorcycle from Maine to Wilmington, so he could ride alongside semi-trucks on the highway. He wanted to get a better feel for how terrifying big-rigs could be when in close proximity, and to better know their loud sounds and movements. When King arrived at the studio on his bike for the initial production meeting, the security guards wouldn't let him through the front gate because they did not believe he was part of any production taking place on the lot. His appearance was disheveled, and he was rambling on about a film he was to direct involving killer trucks that had come alive due to a space comet.

Chicken Butt fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 17, 2024

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Chicken Butt posted:

Maximum Overdrive is King’s only directorial effort, and it was back in his cocaine-frenzy days. He has since disowned it as a “movie for morons”, which kinda makes me want to watch it.

It's on Tubi right now, and it's a bit of a shame that he's disowned it, because it's actually not that bad.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

It's actually really entertaining and way better than the other adaptation, Trucks.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Maximum Overdrive was the movie we watched a million times as kids. Sleepover? We're renting Maximum Overdrive! I haven't seen it since I was a teenager, but my memories of it bring a huge smile. The soda machine attacking kids, the lawnmower running over people, and the badass looking semis. I am kind of afraid to see it again as an adult, but considering Revenge of the Ninja was still badass, I can't help but expect Maximum Overdrive would hold out as well.

That AC/DC intro, too.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 17, 2024

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Watched Stand By Me (1986). Very good coming of age movie.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Nomads: John McTierans directorial debut, this is surprisingly boring for a premise of ghost rejects from the Warriors chasing Pierce Bronson around. There's this framing of sorts with Bronson dying in the first 5 mins and a doctor inheriting his memories, but it really adds nothing.

Best part of the movie, besides the French accent, is how Bronson doesn't try to use a bible or weird psychic to get rid of the spirts. Instead he beats one with a tire iron and throws another off a building die hard style. It doesn't work of course, but respect for trying.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Blues Brothers 2000 - man what even is this movie. The first half seems to be trying for its own riff on the original without being too much of a retread, but the dialogue in Aykroyd's mouth sounds like he's doing a parody of himself. I know he was credited for half the script but I have to think Landis must have written most of it (especially all those weird long intellectual-ish soliloquies) because poo poo like this

quote:

...The light of the world is extinguished because the music which has moved mankind through seven decades leading to the millennium will wither and die on the vine of abandonment and neglect.

... He delivers as "will wither and die... on the vine of abandonment and neglect", which makes no goddamn sense. But as written it would be perfectly fine if he read it as "will wither and die on the vine, ... of abandonment and neglect". Right? No way would he have read it the way he did if he had come up with the phrase himself, or even had been involved in its development.

Anyway after about halfway through the movie decides to sort of give up on original ideas and just starts doing beat-for-beat reshoots of the original's set pieces anyway. The country/western bar. The Aretha Franklin scene. The nazis/KKK. The boat being dropped from a helicopter. The James Brown church/gospel dancing scene. The million-car pileup. The Russians taking the place of Carrie Fisher. Plus a whole bunch of strippers for some reason.

The supergroup at the end I feel like I should have been a lot more impressed by, and probably would have been if I'd been able to recognize more than one or two of them visually, but I'm afraid no matter how much attention I feel like I've doggedly tried to pay to the past century of pop culture I'm just woefully and apparently irredeemably behind, and whatever this movie was trying to pull off in the last interminable 30 minutes is wasted on me. :smith:

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 18, 2024

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

So I watched this for the first time tonight based on this review. Uh...I didn't care for it. JStew is too old and Kim Novak is too young for that relationship. Stewart's weird control fetish at the end prior to his realization of the truth is really hard to take nowadays. I also can't overlook how hokey the love angle is portrayed. Scotty spends literally three days with her and they confess their love. I realize it's a movie (and a '50's movie at that) but it's just so over the top and melodramatic that it becomes eye-rolling to the extreme. Other than that, the film look great and the soundtrack is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Con Air: what a great movie except how stupid the idea is that he'd ever be convicted for that assault in the first place. It doesn't ruin it but you'd think they could have found a better way to get the guy into prison.