Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Ciaphas posted:

gets a giggle out of me every single time

you have to wonder if norman reedus explained who flavor flav was to kojima or if he already knew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Eiba posted:

My experience was the exact opposite- I was down for the bizarre story, but when the gameplay hit it hit hard. I have never felt compelled to 100% a game before, but I gladly did every task I could in this game. I could feel myself becoming a MULE, craving the thrill of the next delivery.

When it became clear I had nothing more to do other than move on to the final area and beat the game I felt a hollow sense of loss. I didn't want to save the world or learn more about the surreal goo apocalypse, I just wanted to deliver a stack of materials from one bunker to another and get a little thumbs up for my trouble.

The gameplay in Death Stranding was shockingly compelling.

Same

The story is interesting but gets way too convoluted later on. It was the core gameplay that hooked till the end

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Eau de MacGowan posted:

just saw the death stranding 2 teaser, and higgs seems a bit much, even for a kojima game

Well he representing American imperialism and culture now, I think it’s okay for him to be over the top a little.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I have to collect a bunch of stuff for the junkman but there's lots of BTs and I only have two blood grenades. For someone who hates stealth in pretty much every game ever this is going to be a challenge.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Have you just not been crafting them at every opportunity? I never felt short of grenades and I abused the gently caress out of them because I also hate most stealth games.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

I liked that when the anaemic woman in the red dress explicitly gives you the choice to kill her or let her live (don't remember the exact words) at the end of the game but there still is no choice to be made as the bullet is somehow being absorbed. I hope I remember this correctly.

Death Stranding has great presentation, but in my opinion Kojima overestimated how attractive the core gameplay is, which is, despite all the things complicating it, too shallow and frustrating. I only kept on keeping on because of the story. Just like with MGS5. I'd like to have a game with good gameplay and presentation and choices next.

Also I was so proud to have built that road and then it suffered from the acid rain, needing maintenance. Come on, that is too much to ask for.

Most of my maintenance is done by strangers online.

And I'm one of the ones who likes the core gameplay anton. I haven't beaten the game because I want to do every delivery and at SSS rank. I played a couple weekends ago intending to finish the final stretch I've been able to reach for a 100 hours. If I lived in this world I would've long since become a MULE

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

Have you just not been crafting them at every opportunity? I never felt short of grenades and I abused the gently caress out of them because I also hate most stealth games.

They seemed to take up a ton of cargo slots so I only keep a couple on me. But... I might have to change that.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Dick Trauma posted:

They seemed to take up a ton of cargo slots so I only keep a couple on me. But... I might have to change that.

You're coming right back there, so shove anything you won't immediately need in his locker and stock up. You'll be trading empty grenade boxes for some of his crap as you go and can always ditch any excess if you really need to.

I don't know if you have the same problem, necessarily, but I had a bad need to keep a bulky generalist kit on me at all times until I finally convinced myself it was okay to just take out what you needed specifically for a delivery or mission and always be ready to fabricate more at your destination. Most gear is really cheap, resource-wise, which helps with being able to do that.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
if you get the cosplayer going, conan obrien can teach you how to make grenade pouches and large grenade pouches for your backpack so you can carry a small arsenal on you without using cargo space

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Back Hack posted:

Well he representing American imperialism and culture now, I think it’s okay for him to be over the top a little.

This is a good catch. His rock music is literally weaponized

Maybe there was a germ of this idea in MGSV when he showed all the Soviet bases with stereos playing American music. American culture was so powerful that even in a Cold War proxy conflict the Russians were addicted to American chart toppers

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I too loved trudging through the snow, trying to map out a path and climbing rocks, trying to drive the trucks places they absolutely were not meant to go, building weird cobbled together bridges on the edge of a valley to get around BTs and the bad guys. Like that's what had me, the act of traversal.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I like the idea of building things but the stupendous amount of materials required makes me not bother. I'm going to just keep pushing through the main quest.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
With enough persistence I found you can get that truck to drive over just about anything. So janky, yet so fun.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Dick Trauma posted:

Just so we're on the same page, you're filling your grenade pouch and not mounting grenade boxes on your suit, right?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Dick Trauma posted:

I like the idea of building things but the stupendous amount of materials required makes me not bother. I'm going to just keep pushing through the main quest.

You just gotta enter a Euro Truck Simulator headspace and enjoy the not-Iceland scenery for a while

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

titties posted:

Just so we're on the same page, you're filling your grenade pouch and not mounting grenade boxes on your suit, right?

Grenade pouch?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Dick Trauma posted:

Grenade pouch?

Special backpack attachment you get from the Cosplayer, a prepper a bit northwest of South Knot and Mama's place. She's one of the optional ones with pretty good rewards.

titties
May 10, 2012

Oh, sorry. I haven't played in a long time, I though the grenade pouch was just something you had.

Worth the time to get it though, imo

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
The thick individual hairs on the side of Sam's face bother me, like a lot.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Dick Trauma posted:

I have to collect a bunch of stuff for the junkman but there's lots of BTs and I only have two blood grenades. For someone who hates stealth in pretty much every game ever this is going to be a challenge.

Alternative you can do if you either have no cargo or set it down outside the zone, run in, get caught, then run away. That'll keep the area clear for a little bit, or at least the duration of any mission you're on (or bring an arsenal and kill the boss and reap the crystals)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Gnome de plume posted:

The thick individual hairs on the side of Sam's face bother me, like a lot.

Weird they don't simulate beard growth at all. Let us make mountain man Sam or shave to make hair chaff grenades.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

EDIT: I see now that each Hematic Grenade is a pack of 5, so I actually have 9!

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 13, 2024

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I never got the grenade pouch but I did fine just carrying a couple of suitcases full of grenades everywhere

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

You can carry a pretty silly amount of grenades if you fit two small pouches and one large one on your backpack. I had that setup along with a battery and a utility pouch for the longest time.

However now I have the grenade launcher I've swapped all but one of the small grenade pouches out for a spare ammo pack.

A GL plus a NL assault rifle 3 and a riot shotgun 2 seems to be more than enough to deal with any MULE/terrorist camp or catcher BT encounter.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

You get some good weapons later, but I never, never got tired of the sight of a well-aimed bola launch whip around someone's head so the balls bean them in the face, knocking them out instantly.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Really? I got a lot of satisfaction out of kicking them over and over.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Bola Whip if you get caught, classic piano wire until then.

I have almost all the achievements and at a glance most of the missing ones are about crafting stuff. I'm technically at the end of the game so either there's just a ton of stuff I never saw for to craft even once or I have a bunch more to unlock after the final stretch.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

That mission wound up having way more BTs than I expected, so even with my load of grenades I decided to creep the whole way lugging my floating cargo carrier behind me. As I doled out grenades I ran into some glitches with Sam repeatedly putting down and picking up used grenades and blood pouches. Toward the end there were two ghosts over the last bit of cargo so I hit them with a grenade and killed them both. I dashed in to grab the cargo and realized that one of the ghosts was not dead and it was right on top of me! I panic threw a grenade and blew it up, and Sam actually coughed from being enveloped by dead ghost smoke.

When I got back to my bike it was almost completely melted from the rain because I forgot to build a shelter over it. Whoops! After more cargo shenanigans I headed back to the junkman to drop stuff off. Instead of picking up his next quest I took a quick trip to a nearby shelter so my cargo could get repaired, then to a safe house to fix my bike before it completely died. I fabricated more grenades and will return to the junkman to do his mission. Might haul away all his rotting cargo first since that looks like an easy job.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Khanstant posted:

Bola Whip if you get caught, classic piano wire until then.
i prefer opening with bolas then switching to Cargo-Kata when they get close - which is way more effective than you'd think, and drat fun too

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

I fabricated more grenades and will return to the junkman to do his mission. Might haul away all his rotting cargo first since that looks like an easy job.

I took a cargo carrier with me and the trip down to the chiral artist was long but not too bad. Did have to grenade a couple of BTs and do plenty of creeping. I was surprised to find that my special cargo could only be carried on my back, so I was very glad that I brought the carrier with me to take items I had to offload. For the return trip I generally followed a path left by earlier porters, literally walking in their footprints. The BT section was a little shorter than the first leg of the trip so it was worth it. When I completed the mission I found that my poor trike was in pretty bad shape just from being outside the junkman's bunker. I have to learn to park it under a shelter.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I really like the desire paths that organically form from other porters walking through the world. They might be scripted for all I know but they're a nice subtle way of the world adapting to the presence of players.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

:frogsiren:

I HAVE A TRUCK!

I immediately claimed a big stack of metal and ceramic from the distribution center, drove about 50 ft and completed a road. I don't know how long it will take to replenish but it was worth it.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah, trucks make finishing big construction projects way easier

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Congratulations, you have now entered the Road Builder phase of the game. Soon you will be too good to make deliveries on foot when you can just get on Route 66

titties
May 10, 2012

It took me at least a dozen hours of just farming and delivering roadbuilding supplies to make the roads and it kind of sucked tbh

But who doesn't like beating mules to not death with their own cargo to steal their stolen cargo

Also i like how you can leave a restrained unconscious mule facedown in the extra-bad water and then drive over him with a truck 8 or 9 times while you raid the whole camp and it doesn't kill him

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

titties posted:

It took me at least a dozen hours of just farming and delivering roadbuilding supplies to make the roads and it kind of sucked tbh

But who doesn't like beating mules to not death with their own cargo to steal their stolen cargo

Also i like how you can leave a restrained unconscious mule facedown in the extra-bad water and then drive over him with a truck 8 or 9 times while you raid the whole camp and it doesn't kill him

So if you look closely at the unconscious mules in water, if their heads get submerged, a little floatation ring inflates around their necks to keep their heads above water.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

This is a good catch. His rock music is literally weaponized

Maybe there was a germ of this idea in MGSV when he showed all the Soviet bases with stereos playing American music. American culture was so powerful that even in a Cold War proxy conflict the Russians were addicted to American chart toppers

He's also literally in the body of America. :v:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Congratulations, you have now entered the Road Builder phase of the game. Soon you will be too good to make deliveries on foot when you can just get on Route 66

Hook the region into the network before you build roads and about half the job will be done by other players after a few hours.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

And if you 5 star some of them their available materials will go way up making the road building easier.

I got to the central region and 5 started the Engineer, Elder and Craftsman. When I went back much later they were stocked with enough metals and ceramics to let me build the roads all the way to the Mountain Knot region and up into the mountains near the weather station.

Also some of the preppers will give you large amounts of lightweight metals as a delivery reward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

titties posted:

Lmao I think aim just the opposite of you. I absolutely loved the road building phase, and the advanced Zipline building phase that comes later. I've tried to set things up so that the only time I ever need to set foot in MULE territory is either a delivery requiring it or just driving or zipping by.

When I do engage with a MULE camp I try to be as stealth as possible until I'm caught then it's usually one smash because hands full, then belting out bolas.