Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

mewse posted:

It's literally "old man yells at cloud"

At least an onion on his belt would make him smell better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mad Hamish posted:

Martin didn't even come up with the idea of a fantasy series with unlikeable assholes as protagonists. Those awful Thomas Covenant books are decades older.

Or the Iliad, which is several thousand years old and is pretty much a bunch of assholes of varying degrees fighting each other (and the gods(who are also assholes)).

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Isn't Conan basically that? Assholes might be pushing the definition a bit, but they're not very virtuous.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mewse posted:

Eh, I get where he's coming from on this one. It is loving exhausting and obnoxious as hell to try and talk about anything you might enjoy these days in online fandom spaces because a lot of people are just sourpuss shitheads who just want to break their toys and cry or at the worst just straight up loving chuds and bigots looking to recruit people into the klan through fandom.

Still, lol grrm though, that'll never change

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

mewse posted:

He’s still a goober, but I’m on his side in this case.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The fans and the author are bad people and deserve to suffer together.

mewse
May 2, 2006

"There are mean people on the internet" the boomer cried into his piles of money

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

mewse posted:

I wonder what happened during the past decades that might have changed people attitudes towards him

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Or the Iliad, which is several thousand years old and is pretty much a bunch of assholes of varying degrees fighting each other (and the gods(who are also assholes)).

What impressed me the most about the Iliad was the apparent glee of the greeks in being the assholes.

"This is our king, check out how lovely he is! We spend a third of the story raiding cattle! Other than Achilles, we only kick rear end when some petty god buffs us! Hey, look at this guy Hector, he's a real honorable and cool dude; just wait until you see what we do to him! Punked by gods and mrn alike, suck on that."

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

He's not wrong that, for example Youtube, has a whole sub-culture of professional trolls cultivating hatred of popular media to farm rageclicks though.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Thats true but another very effective method of cultivating hate is to spend a more than 10 years promising something just any day now

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 3, 2024

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
GURM started anti-fandom thanks to being a loving liar and high on himself. He's the proto Good Guy™️ that doesn't realize that he's a douche - because after all he's the protagonist AND WHY DOESN'T EVERYONE ELSE SEE THAT HE'S AWESOME :george:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I also like how he throws in a complaint about cancel culture. Hmm, is it possible that he could be worried about being canceled? Does he have some kind of guilt on his conscience?

:thunkin:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
GRRM is married. To an old lady even; not a creepy marriage.

Not saying he isn’t a creepy sketch old man, but I wonder what it’s like being married to him. How does Mrs. RRM feel about the train? The castle?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

pidan posted:

To be fair he is kind of another Tolkien in that he changed the face of fantasy significantly:

- popularised icy north type settings
- popularised low magic settings
- sword & sorcery heroic fantasy without elves and such
- grim dark plots
- elaborate genealogies and such in the appendices (historical fiction already had this I guess)
- story is mostly focused on exploring character dynamics and psychology instead of cool locations and adventures

I feel all that was relatively rare before the late 00s and is now super common.

Lol, no.
That’s the opinion of people who started fantasy by getting drawn into the hype of ASOIAF and believed Grrm was innovative instead of a very effective thief who managed to publish books at the right time .

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Cardiac posted:

Lol, no.
That’s the opinion of people who started fantasy by getting drawn into the hype of ASOIAF and believed Grrm was innovative instead of a very effective thief who managed to publish books at the right time .

Yeah poo poo like that is like saying the iPhone invented the concept of touchscreens or cell phones at all.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Not saying he isn’t a creepy sketch old man, but I wonder what it’s like being married to him. How does Mrs. RRM feel about the train? The castle?

They're rich as poo poo and Paris seems to share most of his interests and views on things and is well loved by him, so I assume pretty good if you're into that sort of thing. You know, being old and rich and nerdy and loved by someone. I dunno.

Deptfordx posted:

He's not wrong that, for example Youtube, has a whole sub-culture of professional trolls cultivating hatred of popular media to farm rageclicks though.

This circlejerk of angry losers is why I browse YouTube with a content blocker app now to just flush their poo poo out to sea where it belongs.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 3, 2024

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

pidan posted:

Isn't Conan basically that? Assholes might be pushing the definition a bit, but they're not very virtuous.

The Worm Ouroboros should also count, as it is essentially a modern retelling of old Norse and Germanic legends where everyone keeps doing awful poo poo to each other for no good reason. And they're not even learning from their fuckery! They just let the gods reset time and go right back to stabbing each other! Assholes.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Mrrs. Martin.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

We know she likes anal.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Woodpile posted:

We know she likes anal.
Hey, it's equally possible GURM doesn't wipe

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Yet another pointless reread, yet another time getting bummed out when Beric appears in the books, knowing how he has one of the cooler storylines just to end wasted on Catelyn loving stoneface Stark.

A Song of Catelyn Fucks Up an Entire Continent with her Idiocy.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
It would be quite nice if all of you were right and it was just another case of "old man yell at clouds." His perception changing due to him getting older rather than an actual change simply described.

But I'm certainly not as old, and would have plenty to criticize of how he handled his work, I'm not a fan. Yet I don't see anything personal in that blog post he wrote.

You see, it's not like the past year has been "bad" and that this one looks worse. The real point of what he writes is that it all feels like a mere "set-up", if it was a novel. Or, said with other words, it's starting to feel like we are trapped in a chronic case of "Russel's Turkey" (the world renews itself, one day looks just like the one before, no one sees it coming). Where he writes "the feeling that we are living in the Weimar Republic" he doesn't mean that living at that time was bad, per se, but that it was that naive moment where no one knew or had the faintest idea of WHAT WAS COMING. And that what would be coming would greatly exceeds the worst expectations. It's not like a necessary chain of events, but a breaking point that is hard to realize beforehand.

You assume that the way he perceives things is deeply ingrained on him being old and feeling the moment of his death getting closer, but you don't realize that YOUR way of feeling is also deeply ingrained in the fact that there haven't been any breaking points. Therefore breaking points cannot happen. They seem out of this world, like belonging to a fictional novel (then maybe read a bit of Zweig).

The literal fabric of reality everyone perceives is precisely what would feel like for a baroque culture at its apex: the certainty that nothing can change. Right before the collapse comes.

Covid has been a significant culture transformation, but most people don't realize it. It wasn't a course correction, but it has been an accelerator.

If he's right, and I think he is because I feel the exact way coming from a completely different perspective, it won't be down to perception. Soon enough you'll see the tangible effects that it was not his own being old and change of perspective, but just getting a feel of a radical change, before it actually happens and before everyone realizes.

Or maybe he's wrong and just old and pessimistic, and you are all right. For sure we'll see this type of ending in the real world sooner than Winds of Winter. It will just happen to happen to you rather than to a character in a fantasy book.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Well well, nearly a decade later and old Preston made his own dream come true.

https://youtu.be/GIo4kB34pI8?feature=shared

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Arbite posted:

Well well, nearly a decade later and old Preston made his own dream come true.

https://youtu.be/GIo4kB34pI8?feature=shared

What was the deal with this guy again? Was he the guy who ran the sycophant fan forum/site?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

No. He's a YouTuber with some good theories and some batshit theories. He's writing / crowd sourcing his own end to the series

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Tarnop posted:

No. He's a YouTuber with some good theories and some batshit theories. He's writing / crowd sourcing his own end to the series

Oh yeah, I remember him now. Someone whos got a better memory than me should post a list of his all-time dumbest theories

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Moon is a reflector for warg rays.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Anders posted:

What was the deal with this guy again? Was he the guy who ran the sycophant fan forum/site?

The people you were probably thinking of are these two btw, the Swedish racists who co-wrote World of Ice and Fire and run one of the wikis

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Tarnop posted:

The people you were probably thinking of are these two btw, the Swedish racists who co-wrote World of Ice and Fire and run one of the wikis

Ugh yeah, gently caress those guys. And gently caress GURM for enabling them even after this poo poo has come forward

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Anders posted:

Oh yeah, I remember him now. Someone whos got a better memory than me should post a list of his all-time dumbest theories

The dumbest is probably Varys being a merman, which IIRC is based entirely on his "I think you'd be surprised what happens if you tried" comment to Tyrion talking about throwing him into the sea when they're sailing to Essos. Unless that theory was created by the Swedish Nazis or some other person.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

I think we should all be better at going "yeah, remember that Swedish Nazi lady GURM works closely with" every time we talk about the books out in the wild

"Oh, you didn't know one of GURMs closest associates is both racist and transphobic?"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Anders posted:

Preston, by his own admission is often like "Yeah, this is absolutely insane, but who gives a poo poo, let's chase this hosed up rabbit", even more so since he's started hanging out with fellow ASoIaF YouTube shitposters like Glidus, AltShiftX and RedTeamReviews. Like half his answers to that Fake Fan Theories quiz video Glidus did the other year were "What the gently caress? That's insane."

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Feb 21, 2024

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

I wonder how much I'd hate myself if I had to grift a book series that ended over a decade ago with one of the protagonists making GBS threads herself to earn money

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Preston, by his own admission is often like "Yeah, this is absolutely insane, but who gives a poo poo, let's chase this hosed up rabbit", even more so since he's started hanging out with fellow ASoIaF YouTube shitposters like Glidus, AltShiftX and RedTeamReviews. Like half his answers to that Fake Fan Theories quiz video Glidus did the other year were "What the gently caress? That's insane."

I like that AltShiftX bloke, he's got a lovely speaking voice, his videos are really beautifully put together and professionally edited, and he always ends the dives into the madder theories with "Is this supported by the context or the overarching themes of the story? No? Well then, its probably not true, but hey, if you have fun believing it, run with it if you want".

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Anders posted:

He used to make lots of great videos making GBS threads on GoT episodes too. I thought they were the best summary of what they were doing wrong, and they were funny and entertaining. All the crazy theory stuff if for fun. Preston is cool.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

some bust on that guy posted:

He used to make lots of great videos making GBS threads on GoT episodes too. I thought they were the best summary of what they were doing wrong, and they were funny and entertaining. All the crazy theory stuff if for fun. Preston is cool.

My default stance on aSoIaF nerds outside this thread are idiots, but I assume you are correct

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Anybody seriously making content for ASoIaF at this point is a lunatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Invalid Validation posted:

Anybody seriously making content for ASoIaF at this point is a lunatic.

And that's why GRRM stopped a decade ago :hmmyes: