Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Praise the Sun to assert dominance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Haha, very cool.

Tree Bucket posted:

...why are his teeth black?
Also why are Grandmama Despot's eyebrows located just below the hairline?

What others said - it's a fashion thing for both. Also huh, looking at that page again I just noticed he's only blackened his front teeth.

Anyway, there's another subtlety present here: there are actually two sets of aristocrats in Japan at this time. We've seen a lot of the first kind, they're the warriors, the samurai. They've got all the guys with edged weapons, so they have a lot of hard power but their soft power is limited since they've mostly gotten powerful comparatively recently by killing people and stealing all their stuff. The problem the last hundred-odd years of civil war showed was that none of the samurai warlords up until now had both the military might to defeat his rivals and the soft power legitimacy needed to obtain the consent of ruled with anything more than fear.

The second kind are the nobles, the emperor's court. These guys have been ensconced in the capital longer than anyone can remember, they're Official, they're Traditional. They have basically no hard power but a decent amount of soft power and legitimacy.

You'll know a noble when you see one because they a) wear those black gnome hats b) wear those old fashioned kimono that closes all the way up to the neck and c) have blackened teeth.

Hideyoshi came up through the warrior hierarchy, but since being appointed Chief Advisor he's adopted noble-ish affectations I think in order to help project an image of legitimacy. Let's not forget he's literally a former peasant. I know Game of Thrones may have given people the impression otherwise, but pure might-makes-right nihilism... isn't that popular actually! You need some amount of fig leaf - that's why Hideyoshi hasn't busted into the imperial palace and thrown the totally powerless emperor into a pit or something.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
More on tooth blackening

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Emzedoh posted:

Hideyoshi came up through the warrior hierarchy, but since being appointed Chief Advisor he's adopted noble-ish affectations I think in order to help project an image of legitimacy. Let's not forget he's literally a former peasant. I know Game of Thrones may have given people the impression otherwise, but pure might-makes-right nihilism... isn't that popular actually! You need some amount of fig leaf - that's why Hideyoshi hasn't busted into the imperial palace and thrown the totally powerless emperor into a pit or something.

This is all accurate, but one of the things that made Nobunaga so dangerous to the entire structure was the fact he seemed to give absolutely zero shifts about soft power that he could not make himself or force from another area. Political power growing from the barrel of a gun and the inherent legitimacy of conquest and then reshaping that comes after it is probably closer to what Nobunaga would have ended up doing. Maybe there would not have been an Emperor by the time he was done.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

This is all accurate, but one of the things that made Nobunaga so dangerous to the entire structure was the fact he seemed to give absolutely zero shifts about soft power that he could not make himself or force from another area. Political power growing from the barrel of a gun and the inherent legitimacy of conquest and then reshaping that comes after it is probably closer to what Nobunaga would have ended up doing. Maybe there would not have been an Emperor by the time he was done.

This is true - but also Nobunaga got killed by his trusted subordinate in an abortive powerplay so iunno.

Oh poo poo, when I went back to fetch the previous update of One Day Outing I noticed a bunch of posts I meant to respond to:

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The entire reason Lavender Jack was created was to force them out of the shadows; all the other nobles he exposed were just the ground work. I think it's less that it was a simple job and more that the story was set at the start of the payoff rather than at the beginning.

That's fair enough - I just hadn't realised we were so close to the end. Though, it occurs to me this would have been a lot harder if Van Lund hadn't lost his nerve and gone for the backstab.

The added backgrounds are a nice touch.

free dessert

One Day Outing Foreman chapter 28: Falling Asleep

zzz...

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Ah, okay, so the boss-dude-who-used-to-be-a-peasant has a stick-on moustache and has only blackened his front teeth. And he has a terribly unfashionable tan. Nice visual storytelling there.
There's something fascinating about this idea of two sets of rulers, the old nobility and the up-and-coming fighter caste. I'd assumed samurai had always been near the top of the tree, but that doesn't look to be the case at all! Rather like republican Rome where power starts falling into the hands of guys who mightn't necessarily have all the right ancestors or marriage connections, but do know how to stomp a germanic army or whatever...

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Velvet Gewgaw

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Looks like God's been moving up the tech tree :T

Tree Bucket posted:

Ah, okay, so the boss-dude-who-used-to-be-a-peasant has a stick-on moustache and has only blackened his front teeth. And he has a terribly unfashionable tan. Nice visual storytelling there.
There's something fascinating about this idea of two sets of rulers, the old nobility and the up-and-coming fighter caste. I'd assumed samurai had always been near the top of the tree, but that doesn't look to be the case at all! Rather like republican Rome where power starts falling into the hands of guys who mightn't necessarily have all the right ancestors or marriage connections, but do know how to stomp a germanic army or whatever...

I think that's about the size of it. I don't know if they don't all blacken the front teeth only though, I only noticed that in the giant jaw drop shot.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I remember hearing (but can't give an exact source, so take it with a grain of salt) that teeth blackening was also performed in England, so as to pretend that you were eating so much sugar that your teeth were rotting (cause that meant you were rich)

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I gave in and marathoned through Lavender Jack, and dangit it's good.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Prince Valiant in the Days of King Arthur (Nov 4 - 11, 1945)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

god, any excuse to strip off

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
Val going all Basic Instinct

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Nun headquarters.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Donardo giving himself a quick mammogram in the last panel, at his age it's important to check for lumps.

ikanreed posted:

Nun headquarters.

Pro celibate sounds way nicer than incel, maybe it's just been a branding problem this entire time? Incel? Unfuckable? Nah, I'm professionally celibate.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Sludge Knight: Ms. Rimon Part Two

Kit Walker posted:

Yeah there's no way this ends well for Ms. Rimon, the coolest (fake) teacher
:(

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Oh! Metroid

...and that was actually the last Oh! Metroid—it was only four pages. But once again we're not quite done with the goofy Metroid comics.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Huh, I keep expecting them to go 10x longer. Oh well, they're pretty fun while they lasted.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Can't go longer when your protagonist just burned in the atmosphere.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Edit: I forgot to report, Hyouge Mono's English translation completed yesterday at 273 chapters. It was a good ending, I think.

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 57: Ballad of Our Footprints

I'm not sure Hidenaga's ploy has mended the breach between Rikyu and Hideyoshi.

The Dragon, the Hero and the Courier Episode 30: The Mongrel, the Guard and Anomalies

Prosperous... not prosperous. Prosperous... not prosperous.

Emzedoh has a new favorite as of 19:39 on Feb 20, 2024

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

The Vagabond of Limbo

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I called it, I loving called Val infiltrated the harem disguised as a woman!

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Kill Six Billion Demons

Alt: if you look hard enough you can actually find this set earlier in the comic

quote:

Circus
It's very funny to me that Gog Agog is doing Eric Andre's bit

SOUBOUTEI
MUST
BE
DESTROYED

Incredible last words

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm starting to think... maybe we don't destroy Souboutei? Seems like it'd save everyone a lot of grief if it were just left to be.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm starting to think... maybe we don't destroy Souboutei? Seems like it'd save everyone a lot of grief if it were just left to be.

:mods:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Souboutei Must Be Enjoyed

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

People will just come on the internet and say any old nonsense.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Lunar Maladies

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

*dresses like wolf food*

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Sweetness And Lightning

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:yeshaha:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

fritz posted:

also I read what's there of Solivaga: https://solivaga.net/ which has gorgeous art but I don't think I have any idea what's going on, something about wizards in school learning to fight demons

Coincidentally I also read what's there of Magefront: https://www.magefrontcomic.com which is also about wizards in school learning how to fight in an army. Started off pretty generic but once the necromancy showed up it got better. I probably won't post it, at least not anytime soon, because it's 430+ pages and counting.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

:wow:

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

IT guys just don't understand Simplicity.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Excellent :haw:

How would people here feel about me posting a non-comic thing? There's a children's book, Brave Little Tailor by Janosch, a Polish author, that takes the classic story in a direction that I think people here might enjoy. I was pondering about scanning and translating the book and this thread felt like the most appropriate place to post it, despite it not being a comic. Would that be ok?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Vagabond of Limbo is looking pretty flat and lifeless atm. did the colorist run off?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Hempuli posted:

How would people here feel about me posting a non-comic thing? There's a children's book, Brave Little Tailor by Janosch, a Polish author, that takes the classic story in a direction that I think people here might enjoy. I was pondering about scanning and translating the book and this thread felt like the most appropriate place to post it, despite it not being a comic. Would that be ok?

I'd be curious to see it if it's something that's a spiritual fit here, but I also have no say in how strict we should be in sticking to comics or not.