Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Der Kyhe posted:

Maybe also stop using Swiss parts or ammo in your system so you don't have to ask their permission to use those weapons outside parades or in other display-only purposes.

German engineering is only slightly behind Swiss engineering in terms of cost and complexity and if you still use the Swiss stuff you could just claim the Germans were allowed one(1) bit of fun for the designing and nobody would bat an eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Sedgr posted:

It's really great everyone in NATO keeps producing specialized bespoke artisanal weapons systems that need unicorn babysitters and one off hand made parts and servicing.

I feel like asraam, storm shadow/scalp and brimstone being bolted to various trucks and old Soviet aircraft and made to work within a few months of handing the requirement to the engineers kind of puts the lie to this.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

large hands posted:

I feel like asraam, storm shadow/scalp and brimstone being bolted to various trucks and old Soviet aircraft and made to work within a few months of handing the requirement to the engineers kind of puts the lie to this.

All of those were made in the 90s though. There's way wilder poo poo in the NATO arsenal but it requires 10x more ancillary systems :capitalism:

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

mobby_6kl posted:

Olaf's just making up excuses

I get the feeling the supply of Taurus missiles is something like 80% of Germany's combat power and they are terrified of giving it away.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

haddedam posted:

A century by now. This is classic gulag behavior, just Russia has modernized it and made gulag be a mobile entity rather than be chained to a set of buildings.

Please note that the original gulags were always distributed and mobile, for instance by rail to nowhere in Siberia, over the corpses of the previous forced labor crews now being thus replaced, to further extend the rail by an extra few meters before turning the new crews into sleepers themselves.

It was always distributed, hence the title to Solzhenitsyn's the Gulag Archipelago, the book that put the terror on hold for a while.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

large hands posted:

Attaching a weapon system to a platform is completely different from integrating weapons systems, or even cracking open a weapon system and doing something as simple as moving wires for voltage compatibility. Complex systems have a lot that can go wrong, and no amount of manuals change the literal decade of experience and rote knowledge a consultant can provide when you're looking to have it fixed PDQ.

:ssh: Soldiers on systems can get fast-tracked into consultant jobs for this reason :ssh:

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Mistle posted:

:ssh: Soldiers on systems can get fast-tracked into consultant jobs for this reason :ssh:

Can attest.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
russia getting owned is extremely funny tbh

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Mistle posted:

seems like a huge problem to fundamentally have a personnel system that results in experienced people leaving the service to come back as contractors doing the same job, but charging you loads more money and also you cant just order them to do poo poo anymore

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

OctaMurk posted:

seems like a huge problem to fundamentally have a personnel system that results in experienced people leaving the service to come back as contractors doing the same job, but charging you loads more money and also you cant just order them to do poo poo anymore

There's always an inherent tension in militaries in the use of conscription/kidnapping/enslavement vs mercenary free soldiers. Technically the definition of 'mercenary' includes all volunteer soldiers even if they only work for a single nation state client and while one can claim that definition is too broad by the time you're being paid $$$ as a free lancer to handle/teach military equipment we're pretty much back to the early modern armies hiring mercenary officers as trainers.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 26, 2024

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
scalp my assram

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Ronwayne posted:

There's always an inherent tension in militaries in the use of conscription/kidnapping/enslavement vs mercenary free soldiers. Technically the definition of 'mercenary' includes all volunteer soldiers even if they only work for a single nation state client and while one can claim that definition is too broad by the time you're being paid $$$ as a free lancer to handle/teach military equipment we're pretty much back to the early modern armies hiring mercenary officers as trainers.

Funny story a few years ago a friend of mine that I served with posted a political cartoon about the government shutting down and not paying the troops, etc. I commented "oh so you're just a mercenary."

Except it wasn't on his page. It was on some conservative page. I got actual death threats told I wasn't good enough to lick his boots, etc.

It didn't matter that he immediately stepped in to say that I had done 20 years of service. The hate just kept coming.

gently caress all of those people.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

OctaMurk posted:

You can't make military personnel stay in the military forever (in most countries)

The argument seems naive. Also, while anecdotal, contractors listen better than most troops because they are paid so well (at least technical ones, idk about flightline or gateguard rent-a-cops or w/e).

Victis fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 27, 2024

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Flyinglemur posted:

Funny story a few years ago a friend of mine that I served with posted a political cartoon about the government shutting down and not paying the troops, etc. I commented "oh so you're just a mercenary."

Except it wasn't on his page. It was on some conservative page. I got actual death threats told I wasn't good enough to lick his boots, etc.

It didn't matter that he immediately stepped in to say that I had done 20 years of service. The hate just kept coming.

gently caress all of those people.

Is it even worth it if you can't wear a giant feathered hat and pantaloons to work?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

rowkey bilbao posted:

scalp my assram

I will

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

rowkey bilbao posted:

scalp my assram

"Whatever MiG-15"

<said in thick ignorant MAGA accent>

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Ronwayne posted:

Is it even worth it if you can't wear a giant feathered hat and pantaloons to work?

Just because I couldn't wear them AT work didn't mean I didn't wear them to and from work

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

mllaneza posted:

There's been some reorganization of Russian forces facing the Kupiansk direction that suggest a strong push there is impending. A considerable stretch of front with offensive activity has been placed under the Western Military District. This will aid in coordination between multiple short-term objectives. Taking Kupiansk threatens Kharkiv and also helps take all of Donetsk oblast.

I'm going to recommend reporting From Ukraine's Patreon here. They do a weekly strategic overview that covers exactly this question. I'm happy to keep haring what I learn from them, but if you can go to the source, you might be happier.

Here's their current video, a lot of the current context is also in here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgFazJvNmRg&t=5s

Thanks, appreciate the rec

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
I'm surprised with Macron openly musing about sending EU troops to Ukraine.

Maybe just send the ammo and long range missiles first, which is what ukraine is asking for, instead of doing whatever this is.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
mes trooks

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

rowkey bilbao posted:

I'm surprised with Macron openly musing about sending EU troops to Ukraine.

Maybe just send the ammo and long range missiles first, which is what ukraine is asking for, instead of doing whatever this is.

Posturing? Telling tall tales?

It's safe to talk about things that he knows 100% will never happen. Sending combat material otoh :can:

Potrzebie fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Feb 27, 2024

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

France has been sending SCALP-EG which is storm shadow, so that's been good. They also were the ones insisting on not buying ammo from abroad and producing it in Europe when the EU made the million rounds of 155 pledge, and welp that didn't work out.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

spankmeister posted:

France has been sending SCALP-EG which is storm shadow, so that's been good. They also were the ones insisting on not buying ammo from abroad and producing it in Europe when the EU made the million rounds of 155 pledge, and welp that didn't work out.

They've reportedly walked back on that, leaving Greece and Cyprus as the holdouts. Their reason to oppose extra-EU purchases is that they don't want to bolster the Turkish arms industry.

zone
Dec 6, 2016
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1762233799193051335#m

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1762342191614087442

quote:

water sports

:pisstape:

zone
Dec 6, 2016
Two Su-34s were shot down today by Ukrainian air defense.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

zone posted:

What the gently caress is happening with the russian air force? Can they handle this level of attrition for long?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It sounds like Russia’s just feeding Su-34s to Ukrainian air defenses and then Vladimir Putin started crying.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

zone posted:

Isn't it more likely to be Russian air defence?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

zone posted:

Those French homonazi super-soldiers work fast!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nice piece of fish posted:

What the gently caress is happening with the russian air force? Can they handle this level of attrition for long?

It's actually brilliant strategy by russia, trying to get Ukraine to use up all the Patriot missiles.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

If the pilots keep getting killed, no.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Good. gently caress racists.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

When Ukraine gets their F16s, Russia will whine and threaten nukes because it's not fair since they have no fighter jets.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Some people really can't resist the idea of biting the hand that feeds, can they?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The multi-polar world is whites only.

RockWhisperer
Oct 26, 2018

Michael Kofman and co were saying in a War on the Rocks episode that aircraft the shoot down numbers have been inflated throughout the war. The number of crashes as pointed out by Justin Bronk in the recent Perrin interview indicate that maintenance was being foregone from the high tempo of sorties especially during the Summer counteroffensive and Mig31s are in short supply, but I have my doubts on the aircraft numbers. It doesn’t seem as dire as Russia’s naval situation.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

McGavin posted:

The multi-polar world is whites only.

Welcome to the Russian Mir!

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Supposedly they have more planes than pilots available so they can technically afford to lose some models but the lost pilots hurts them more.

They're nowhere near the point where their air power is going to significantly degraded by the loss of 4-6 fighters every few months unfortunately.

If they start losing that many every few days, along with the pilots, then they might actually have their air power significantly degraded after a month or 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Thursday address from Putin. Will he annex transnostria?