Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
What is this? 2008 when a bunch of people got their first HD TV and cable had the HD channels in the 900s and the numbers you went to before were the SD feeds?

People can tell the difference between SD and HD. Even in less than optimal conditions. I know my parents had that experience where once they saw the HD channels, they knew how much better HD can look.

SD isn’t bad either. Let’s not pretend that SD is some unwatchable mess. But TV studios didn’t remaster their shows in HD just for the handful of nerds who care deeply.

The funny thing is I have heard more normal people start talking about going back to physical media. It’s not a large number by any means. But people do miss the convenience of just having the Office on DVD.

The advantage streaming had was that it was easy. But now, they’re making it harder. For example, everything is spread out and God only knows where everything is. I can’t link to my existing paramount plus account to my Apple TV app, for reasons. The price keeps going up, and meanwhile it feels like Netflix is filled with low quality dross. The golden age is done!

And piracy is an option, but for most people, it’s an impenetrable wall. For others, they have moral concerns. And unless you have a friend willing to run a Plex server, it’s a lot to manage.

Physical media has a way forward. It depends on how streaming adapts to the current issues of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

yeah people are noticing how lovely streaming has become

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvhv7bgmz64

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Yeah, I started in on 4K blu-rays partly because the streaming services were not showing the best picture but the biggest reason, honestly, was because of the enshitification of streaming services. More money, worse image quality, poorer audio, ads in the middle of movies unless I pay even more each month. Then there’s the issue of having to constantly juggle monthly subscriptions to keep up with what movies are where and when and in what quality because not all streamers do 4K while being the exclusive place to stream a film. The turning point for me was when I wanted to watch a series of movies, I think it was Halloween I want to say, and I found I had to bounce between three different services because the licenses had all been piecemealed out to various streamers. gently caress that.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

This just reminds me I really want a 4K release of all of Twin Peaks

I do too, the blu rays look great but 4K would be incredible. I like that they let you have the episode previews and credits for each episode including the "season 2 finale airs on this date!" preview for the second to last episode of the original run.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The turning point for me was when I wanted to watch a series of movies, I think it was Halloween I want to say, and I found I had to bounce between three different services because the licenses had all been piecemealed out to various streamers. gently caress that.

Yea Halloween is a big one, if you're into the season and you love rewatching horror classics it can be a pain in the rear end to figure out which streaming services you need to watch everything you want to watch.

I've definitely enjoyed the place I'm at now where I basically have everything I "need" in terms of horror/Halloween and so each year it's just about figuring out which movies I'll watch from the collection and which I'll let rest for another year. This past year I really didn't have to stream anything unless it was a new release.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ll watch a SD movie if it’s the only way to watch it. But I’ve used some plex servers where for me the videos were capped at 720 and it’s yucky.

Speed racer in 720p 🤢

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Most people don’t even notice when a streaming service isn’t actually streaming in full HD or when a YouTube clip has obvious pixelation. You’re vastly overestimating how much the average person gives a single poo poo about this kind of stuff.

Everyone posting in this thread is an outlier.

Yep, this is true. My wife is 29 and doesn't give a poo poo/can't notice unless pointed out when something is streaming in bad quality so it's not even an older person issue.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

It’s conditioning, really. Streaming has been so prevalent for so long people just except worse quality and accept it as the standard. Same with compressed music through streaming over phones compounded with bad Bluetooth lossy compression. It’s been the standard so long people just shrug when you show them it could be better. It’s kinda sad. I think a stand out point of that was seeing Godzilla Minus One with a friend who hadn’t stepped foot in a theater for nearly a decade and they were honestly surprised by how the movie looked good

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 4, 2024

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

CelticPredator posted:

I’ll watch a SD movie if it’s the only way to watch it. But I’ve used some plex servers where for me the videos were capped at 720 and it’s yucky.

Speed racer in 720p 🤢

They should hurry up and release a Speed Racer UHD already. :colbert:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Seinfeld on UHD when.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It’s conditioning, really. Streaming has been so prevalent for so long people just except worse quality and accept it as the standard. Same with compressed music through streaming over phones compounded with bad Bluetooth lossy compression. It’s been the standard so long people just shrug when you show them it could be better. It’s kinda sad. I think a stand out point of that was seeing Godzilla Minus One with a friend who hadn’t stepped foot in a theater for nearly a decade and they were honestly surprised by how the movie looked good

The thing that gets me is the color banding. A lot of scenes in Succession had it real bad. John Wick streaming also has it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Did the camel camel camel app stop working for anyone else? It won't show anything I share off Amazon and I can't find it in the Google play store.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Cemetry Gator posted:

The thing that gets me is the color banding. A lot of scenes in Succession had it real bad. John Wick streaming also has it.

This. The banding and compression blockyness of any low lit scene is so bad on streaming I don't believe people who say they don't see it.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Sir Mat of Dickie posted:

I am continually amazed that DVD still exists and outsells later formats.

Walmart makes multiple billions/year in revenue just off direct to bargain bin DVDs.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm down to less than 50 feature films still stuck on DVD, with the bulk of my remaining collection being short subjects and television. Even those feature films have been steadily decreasing - I think I've been able to consistently take off at least ten a year for the last few years.

I haven't made any particular effort to upgrade my DVDs, even for films I love, as though they're not HD, they're not terrible, either. However, most of my DVDs were PAL, which is 576i, almost 100 lines more than NTSC.

Though the worst DVD I own is a copy of Lifeforce I thankfully paid $2 for from a used record store, already being NTSC it was only 480i but also being letterboxed (they included the black bars right in the video stream). From measuring the actual visible area, there ended up being 261 lines of vertical resolution, almost half of a PAL DVD, and it sure looks like I'm watching a 2008 era YouTube video when I play it (every other DVD I have did native widescreen or was 4:3).

What I miss was the cheapness of all movies (Blurays as much as DVDs) in Asda in Scotland. Of a Saturday night I'd go to the deli section and order a custom pizza, then while they were assembling that, wanter over to the movie section and see what major movie was in the charts on Bluray for £7. From what I've seen the US went for more of a "this is for collectors" aspect where the UK just tried to make them all impulse purchases.

CaptainN
Jul 28, 2004

For me, the best bit about ditching the PAL DVDs I had was being able to watch content without the awful 4% speed-up.

Don't think I've watched a single movie on DVD or UK TV since BD came out.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Holy poo poo the packaging for Criterion Trainspotting is horrible. Even worse than Citizen Kane.

Spud would be very disappointed. Just give me a normal blu-ray case if you're not going to get fancy like Breathless or Thelma and Louise.

esperantinc fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 5, 2024

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

esperantinc posted:

Holy poo poo the packaging for Criterion Trainspotting is horrible. Even worse than Citizen Kane.

Spud would be very disappointed. Just give me a normal blu-ray case if you're not going to get fancy like Breathless or Thelma and Louise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiYxTDzipTg

They should do a case replacement offer like Fox ( :rip: ) did for Simpsons S6 back in the day.

Edit: now with moving pictures!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHHxue-8e9w

Full disclosure: I actually finally bought a lot of seasons 1-10 this morning and went out of my way to find one with the replacement case. I like the idea of having S6-10 in head cases, but ultimately... I'm a horrible nerd who hates fun :(

I do like fun! I might end up getting Homer head case at some point since they're pretty cheap. Anyway what's important is that I do not need to rely on my friend's Disney Plus account (which is going away in 10 days).

pwn fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 5, 2024

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.
I actually bought a few of those head cases from that same local used media store. Only one of them had that flyer still in it.

I actually don't mind them, as they're close enough to the right shape to fit on a DVD shelf with normal stuff. Looking at you, Jennifer's Body Blu-ray 3D slip cover.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Killer Klowns is up at Shout with some insane bundles

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

"Those that fear change." gently caress off.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It’s just a joke

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s just a joke

They didn't do that as a reaction to backlash, it was included in the packaging. Which means that at some point before release they realized "oh poo poo this sucks" but were too far along to just toss all the crappy plastic cases

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Tim Whatley posted:

Killer Klowns is up at Shout with some insane bundles

Even for films I absolutely love I just can’t get any of these bundles with a bunch of chachkies. It’s just too much junk I’d never really have space for. I did preorder a steelbook edition because steelbooks activate my monkey neurons of my brain, though

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 5, 2024

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah same. Plus I couldn't pass up a pink steelbook lol

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s just a joke

A joke needs to be funny - something that The Simpsons hasn't been for decades at this point - rather than whatever this passive aggressive inanity of utter gently caress was supposed to be.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/kaijunewsoutlet/status/1764849134400364594?s=46
Looks like Japan will be getting the 4K of the color cut, Blu-ray of the Black & White Version (and color version) and extras disc.

Really hope we hear soon about a Region A release.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

edogawa rando posted:

A joke needs to be funny - something that The Simpsons hasn't been for decades at this point - rather than whatever this passive aggressive inanity of utter gently caress was supposed to be.

This is a really absurd level of anger to be directed toward a single-sentence joke on a leaflet stuffed into a nearly-20 year old release.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

dorium posted:

https://x.com/kaijunewsoutlet/status/1764849134400364594?s=46
Looks like Japan will be getting the 4K of the color cut, Blu-ray of the Black & White Version (and color version) and extras disc.

Really hope we hear soon about a Region A release.

Technically Japan is Region A.

However, this set will not come with English subtitles.

Also, pre-ordered. I hope this one is region-free like the Shin Godzilla set.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Mar 5, 2024

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Lizard Combatant posted:

This. The banding and compression blockyness of any low lit scene is so bad on streaming I don't believe people who say they don't see it.

Half the apps don't do frame rate matching properly either. I got a paramount plus sub for half price (not worth it, they have a really slim film selection) and whenever I use their app on Chromecast I have to manually set the framerate. I guess most people using it just think it's normal that panning shots are super jerky?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Kinda went under the radar with the Killer Klowns announcement but Shout also announced a UHD release for Gretel & Hansel. A really beautiful looking film.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

edogawa rando posted:

Technically Japan is Region A.

However, this set will not come with English subtitles.

Also, pre-ordered. I hope this one is region-free like the Shin Godzilla set.

Yeah I learned this when I was in Japan and bought the blu ray special edition for shin godzilla, and it played and looked great but there were no English subtitles. The case looks great though.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

distortion park posted:

Half the apps don't do frame rate matching properly either. I got a paramount plus sub for half price (not worth it, they have a really slim film selection) and whenever I use their app on Chromecast I have to manually set the framerate. I guess most people using it just think it's normal that panning shots are super jerky?

I wonder if that’s a Chromecast thing because P+ is one of the few apps that outputs at 24 fps on Roku. Netflix and Hulu do 60, and I’m not sure about max. I don’t even know why I still have Max. I should cancel that. Thanks, you may have saved me big bucks.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Cemetry Gator posted:

I wonder if that’s a Chromecast thing because P+ is one of the few apps that outputs at 24 fps on Roku. Netflix and Hulu do 60, and I’m not sure about max. I don’t even know why I still have Max. I should cancel that. Thanks, you may have saved me big bucks.

Netflix is the only app that I'm sure does framerate matching on Chromecast (it even gives you a little notification)

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

distortion park posted:

Netflix is the only app that I'm sure does framerate matching on Chromecast (it even gives you a little notification)

There’s no reason to output 60 fps for 24 hz content.

Modern TVs can handle it all. The taskmaster app even outputs at 50 hz and my North American TV handles it perfectly in my North American home. Which makes the Disney+ app terrible, because they slow that poo poo down to 24 hz.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

On a lark I checked the steelbooks at my local Walmart. Got Dune: Chapter 1, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and American Psycho

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Earlier this week I realized I didn't own tremors on 4k,so I corrected that glaring error right away.

It was one of the movies my folks recorded on VHS way back and I would watch it weekly.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Vinegar Syndrome’s pre Halfway to Black Friday sale preorder sale starts next Friday.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/4KMOVIEDEALS/status/1765511410656608318?s=20
These are those DVD case style reissues but with DVD, Blu-Ray, UHD and Digital for $11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Hell yeah ordered that poo poo before they fix it (assuming its an error)