Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuch
Jun 28, 2003

A very good doggo
The Sabres also have three teams to jump over in the standings, have more games played than all three teams, and have one of the hardest remaining schedules of any team in the league which includes a Western Canada road trip next week. They'll probably need to get to a minimum of 92 points to make it in, which is 23 out of 30 remaining possible points, greater than a .750 points percentage.

Like, it's not IMPOSSIBLE and I'm not trying to pee in your cheerios. But even looking at their most recent 15 game stretch at 9-5-1 which is their best stretch over that number of games this season, if they were to replicate that over their remaining 15 it would still only put them at 88 points and likely several points short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

NHL getting contemporary on youtube thumbnails

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Chuch posted:

The Sabres also have three teams to jump over in the standings, have more games played than all three teams, and have one of the hardest remaining schedules of any team in the league which includes a Western Canada road trip next week. They'll probably need to get to a minimum of 92 points to make it in, which is 23 out of 30 remaining possible points, greater than a .750 points percentage.

Like, it's not IMPOSSIBLE and I'm not trying to pee in your cheerios. But even looking at their most recent 15 game stretch at 9-5-1 which is their best stretch over that number of games this season, if they were to replicate that over their remaining 15 it would still only put them at 88 points and likely several points short.

Yeah I know all that. But they also still have games against the teams immediately above them in the standings including two each against Detroit and Washington. They also play Philly, Tampa and NJ. They have been better on the road than at home so the Western road trip doesn’t bother me too much. I mostly hope they can actually beat Seattle for the first time!

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Carver posted:

NHL getting contemporary on youtube thumbnails

Flyers were playing too much Tape To Tape recently I guess. Next we'll be seeing them with a bunch of extra sticks strapped to their backs

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The Sabres are in that horrible position where it seems like they’re a lot closer to a playoff spot than they actually are. I remember the post-05 Leafs ending up within a point or two of a playoff spot consistently and it’s a lot to ask to go on a heater, win very specific matchups, and also hope none of the desperate teams you have to jump play well themselves

Chuch posted:

So, uh, what the hell is up with the Red Wings? I thought they were a good bet for the playoffs two weeks ago, and I know Larkin has been out but that doesn't explain getting outscored by the Coyotes 8-1 in two games and, checking schedule....by 24 goals overall in their last seven, good lord.

If you look back a few weeks ago itt you’ll also see people pointing out why the Wings were a paper tiger, imo it might even be better for them long-term to miss instead of tricking Stevie Y going into the offseason thinking he has a real playoff contender. Of course hockey is also stupid so if they do squeak in maybe they’ll go to the finals for no reason.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
... and no Cups.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Koopa Kid posted:

The Sabres are in that horrible position where it seems like they’re a lot closer to a playoff spot than they actually are. I remember the post-05 Leafs ending up within a point or two of a playoff spot consistently and it’s a lot to ask to go on a heater, win very specific matchups, and also hope none of the desperate teams you have to jump play well themselves

I know it’s extremely unlikely and they won’t win all of their remaining games, but the way they’ve been playing it feels like they could. Frustrating that they’re in this position for the second year in a row, but also it feels different this time. That could change after tomorrow’s game, who knows.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Everyone from Detroit to Pittsburgh is closer to the playoffs than Buffalo.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Everyone from Detroit to Pittsburgh is closer to the playoffs than Buffalo.

Yeah, but do they have *vibes*

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Powershift posted:

Yeah, but do they have *vibes*

so fuckin many, it's like they just robbed a sex shop

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Detroit's next 4 are against BUF, @PIT, CBJ, NYI. Feels like it's make-or-break here.

Also an odd scheduling quirk, Detroit closes out the regular season with a home-and-home on consecutive days with Montreal. Was there a game postponed this season or something?

shyduck fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 15, 2024

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

No hope allowed in the NHL n/v thread. Sorry Sabres fans

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I know it’s extremely unlikely and they won’t win all of their remaining games, but the way they’ve been playing it feels like they could. Frustrating that they’re in this position for the second year in a row, but also it feels different this time. That could change after tomorrow’s game, who knows.

Oh I'm not saying it's not possible, just that it's a big hill and I remember what it was like to try to climb it

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Sure there's some hope...the eastern conference is exceptionally fraudulent when looking at the bottom 3 playoff spots.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

NHL N/V October: Abandon all hope ye who enter here

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Sure there's some hope...the eastern conference is exceptionally fraudulent when looking at the bottom 3 playoff spots.

The Pens technically still have a shot!

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

If you post anything with even a hint of hope, you'll have multiple people responding telling you why you're wrong.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Koopa Kid posted:

The Pens technically still have a shot!

This feels like one of those situations where being technically correct is not the best kind of correct :smith:

I'm really glad i also picked two other teams as favorites as well

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

If you post anything with even a hint of hope, you'll have multiple people responding telling you why you're wrong.

It's true but I don't care.

Oilers gonna win the cup baby

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

shyduck posted:

Detroit's next 4 are against BUF, @PIT, CBJ, NYI. Feels like it's make-or-break here.

I think the make or break was the game against arizona last night honestly, they really should've responded better after the previous game against them. Sucks cuz I really want them to make it (Sabres too so I guess bolts and isles both gotta go lol)

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

heehee posted:

I think the make or break was the game against arizona last night honestly, they really should've responded better after the previous game against them. Sucks cuz I really want them to make it (Sabres too so I guess bolts and isles both gotta go lol)

They lost to the Coyotes twice in their current 7 game skid lol

Weird how they pissed away a wild card spot around the exact same time last year too, missing Larkin obviously hurts em big time and Alex DeBrincat is disappearing and missing open nets like he’s still a Senator

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

The Dirty Burger posted:

They lost to the Coyotes twice in their current 7 game skid lol

Weird how they pissed away a wild card spot around the exact same time last year too, missing Larkin obviously hurts em big time and Alex DeBrincat is disappearing and missing open nets like he’s still a Senator

That’s even worse because the Coyotes are only 4-13-2 since the ASG and the other wins are Washington and Ottawa.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The east is pathetic and should be relegated to the AHL because somehow the Penguins are only five points out of the playoffs.

I have no delusions about them making it though. There's zero chance of them stringing together any consistent stretch of play and their schedule sucks.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It would be nice if they finished 22nd or better in the league though, so Dubas can't trade their 2024 first rounder and give a likely top-5 pick in 2025 to San Jose.

Who am I kidding, he'll trade the 2025 pick to someone else anyway

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

It's true but I don't care.

Oilers gonna win the cup baby

Isles-Oilers rematch in the finals inshallah. Let ancient grudges burn anew

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mr. Fish posted:

Isles-Oilers rematch in the finals inshallah. Let ancient grudges burn anew

Let’s go team blue/orange/white!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I’ve been a little out of the loop lately so lmao at penguins bobble heads being literally hijacked.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://x.com/pharmasisti/status/1768434057854038182?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Every year!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I thought that was the Canucks

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I've discussed this before, but 2012 is the most cursed draft. I was talking about how the top-4 washed out of the NHL fairly quickly, without realizing Galchenyuk actually played 600+ games. Still, even in the truly awful drafts of the 90s, there was usually a player or two in the top-4 that was good.

And, if you wanted a forward? Good luck. Only good forwards were Forsberg, Hertl, and Teravainen. Tom Wilson is debatable. Then it's players like Galchenyuk, Kerfoot, and Pearson.

I remember everyone was really surprised when there was a huge run on defenseman from picks 4-10, but it doesn't look so ridiculous in retrospect. Even if the 11th pick was Forsberg (the guy everyone knew was good, except for the rest of the NHL, and apparently the team that drafted him).

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Kerfoot was from 2012?! What the gently caress I thought he was in 2015 or something

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Kerfoot was a 5th round pick by the Devils but he finished college to be a free agent and signed with the Avs instead so he had a later rookie season than his draft year would suggest

e: and the next year the Avs picked Will Butcher in the 5th round, who finished college to become a free agent and signed with the Devils. Since Kerfoot was part of the Kadri trade that helped the Avs get a cup and Butcher is now an AHLer, I'd say Avs got the better deal on that

fermun fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 16, 2024

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

shyduck posted:

Also an odd scheduling quirk, Detroit closes out the regular season with a home-and-home on consecutive days with Montreal. Was there a game postponed this season or something?

Nope! That was intentional.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

wondering if that shipment of bobbleheads will ever be found or if they’ll start washing up on shore over the next few decades like those garfield phones on the coast of france

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

HOLY gently caress posted:

wondering if that shipment of bobbleheads will ever be found or if they’ll start washing up on shore over the next few decades like those garfield phones on the coast of france

I just flipped to this thread from the fallout thread and was extremely confused and intrigued by this post and its promise of free SPECIAL

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Arivia posted:

I just flipped to this thread from the fallout thread and was extremely confused and intrigued by this post and its promise of free SPECIAL

Jagr bobblehead gives +1 to Endurance

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

That team could still lose with Potvin in net.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Most of the Vancouver rioters were non-locals as I recall.

Which is much funnier.

Yeah.

It's sociologically a bit complicated (in how prepared instigators can influence a malleable populace, and contributing sociopolitical factors not related to sports) but the gist is that it was a whole lot of "riot tourism" basically. Most rioters were skytraining to downtown after the game was long over. But that's not as fun to laugh at as the more simple idea of vancouver hockey fans being crybaby losers. Narratives have power.

My favourite(?) memory is that bald guy that went viral for yelling at rioters to stop vandalizing property. For some reason him trying to do kickin rad skateboard tricks over vandalized property didn't end up being as viral. I'm sure he was elated about that outcome.

Also some teenage girl politely asking me if she could burn the canucks flag I was trying to get out of dodge with.

Oh and the aggressive kettling from the police. 2011 was fun! :shepface:

Jehde fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Mar 16, 2024

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Mr. Fish posted:

Jagr bobblehead gives +1 to Endurance

No, it's +1 Scoring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Only have to go 11-3-1 down the stretch. Here we come playoffs!

(I'll see you guys in the offseason thread for non-playoffs teams April 16th)