Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

New Master Collection update puts analog back in MGS1 and adds a bunch of other features to MGS2 and MGS3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Guess I have to go back and replay 1 again after all!

e: forgot I only mentioned it in another thread, but I finished up replaying 3, and it was great. Fiddling around with the old camera was interesting, it was nice for the motorcycle scenes, but otherwise wasn't anything I'd use in gameplay other than as a quick "orient north" button. Really glad I got the collection, I dunno about full price, but $40 was very worthwhile.

I'm now on to seeing if I can get an version of 4 working using some instructions mentioned a while ago upthread.

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 14, 2024

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

This just went up yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp__AchiwUg

Nothing new in it but it definitely feels like Konami are gearing up to announce something else. I was hoping that if I got enough people to jump through the hoops of emulating MGS4 the universe would respond with an official modern release so maybe that's paid off.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I don't like MGS4 very much but I'll definitely buy a volume 2 if Peace Walker is included. Would love to actually experience the multiplayer in that, have only played the xbox version on xbone and don't have Live.

I'll probably pick up the PC volume 1 sometime soon if the ports are mostly not broken at this point.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

oxyrosis posted:

My first play through was on European extreme and I did a no kill run.

That river was depressingly boring.
the river is empty, just like your heart

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Party Boat posted:

This just went up yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp__AchiwUg

Nothing new in it but it definitely feels like Konami are gearing up to announce something else. I was hoping that if I got enough people to jump through the hoops of emulating MGS4 the universe would respond with an official modern release so maybe that's paid off.

That's fun. It made me realize I'd never heard David Hayter talk out of character for more than maybe a sentence or two - it's funny when he veers a bit into Snake-esque speech patterns while still in his normal voice, outside of the scripted bits where he does the whole rasp.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://harvardpublichealth.org/disease/wolbachia-infected-mosquitoes-are-brazils-weapon-against-dengue/

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Somehow l assumed wolbachia was just a made-up part of the game. What's next, finding out burgers have chemical additives to make them delicious??

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I’m holding out for the scantily-clad plant ladies. I have so many words and deeds to be ashamed of.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Somehow l assumed wolbachia was just a made-up part of the game. What's next, finding out burgers have chemical additives to make them delicious??

Pax... Hamburgana???

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I love MGS/2/3/5 (never got to play 4), but money's a bit tight right now. I want the master collection, but since it'll likely take me forever go fully go through each game again, can I get these games like one at a time, and eventually, I'll actually have the collection proper?

Even on sale, it's like $64 CDN, but I'm happier to swing $22 for couple of the games now, maybe a couple on the next sale in the summer. I see a listing for 'bonus content', which at least on Steam is the same price as the full master collection. I'm assuming it's all the games + the extras, but the extras don't seem to be sold standalone so the package is the same price as just the games bundled together. So, I'm also assuming that once I own most or all of the titles, it'll cost me much less, at that time, to just finish off the collection and by the end, it'll be as if I had bought it altogether, right?

Normally, I understand how these bundles work, I just want to make sure that this one is similar to other gaming bundles on Steam. I want the collection, but I'm totally fine JUST having maybe MG1 and 2 right now.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
“The franchise that has thrilled generations of players.” I feel like Old Snake.

KingaSlipek
Jun 14, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I love MGS/2/3/5 (never got to play 4), but money's a bit tight right now. I want the master collection, but since it'll likely take me forever go fully go through each game again, can I get these games like one at a time, and eventually, I'll actually have the collection proper?

You´ll miss out on the bonus content that you only get by buying the entire Volume 1 collection.
Namely, the NES version of Metal Gear 1, Snake´s Revenge, the graphical novels for MGS1 and MGS2 and a soundtrack.

You do get the better version of MG1 by buying MGS1, the novels and the soundtrack are probably on youtube. .
Not sure if Snake´s revenge is good.

Just buy the games separately, is my advice

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

TheCenturion posted:

“The franchise that has thrilled generations of players.” I feel like Old Snake.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KingaSlipek posted:

You´ll miss out on the bonus content that you only get by buying the entire Volume 1 collection.
Namely, the NES version of Metal Gear 1, Snake´s Revenge, the graphical novels for MGS1 and MGS2 and a soundtrack.

You do get the better version of MG1 by buying MGS1, the novels and the soundtrack are probably on youtube. .

Just buy the games separately, is my advice

Snakes Revenge is garbage entirely due to the side scroll sections. You get the MSX versions of MG and MG2 with MGS3. The graphic novels are okay and the soundtrack is whatever.

KingaSlipek
Jun 14, 2009

Midjack posted:

You get the MSX versions of MG and MG2 with MGS3.

Not anymore

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

KingaSlipek posted:

Metal Gear Awesome (which has not aged well) had a joke at one point that was just Snake responding to a big reveal with "...are you from Snake's Revenge?"

and that forgettableness tells you everything you need to know imo

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I thought Snake's Revenge was way better than its reputation suggests. It's not a standout title by any means, but it's a decent NES game.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KingaSlipek posted:

Not anymore

welp :rip:

KingaSlipek
Jun 14, 2009

Just buy MGS1, which is better than MGS3 anyway

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Necrothatcher posted:

I thought Snake's Revenge was way better than its reputation suggests. It's not a standout title by any means, but it's a decent NES game.

I played it in 2022 and I loving haaaaaaated it. The MSX games have their annoying quirks but the side-scrolling in Snake's Revenge just sucked bad.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Snake's Revenge owns, don't @ me

It has a betrayal twist, a cyborg Big Boss, a battle with Metal Gear using missiles, and some genuinely really good music. Play it with save states, and heck, get the ROM hack that allows for auto-use of Truth Gas and removes the need to switch to key cards.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Takoluka posted:

MGSV owns, don't @ me

It has a betrayal twist, a cyborg Big Boss, a battle with Metal Gear using missiles, and some genuinely really good music.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

It's like poetry. It rhymes.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Yeah but MSX MG2 has a boss where an old guy chokes you from behind so you have to shoot remote control missiles into his rear end in a top hat or run over mines so you blow off both your legs.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Yeah but MSX MG2 has a boss where an old guy chokes you from behind so you have to shoot remote control missiles into his rear end in a top hat or run over mines so you blow off both your legs.

I should dig up my HD collection and play this for once

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

I should dig up my HD collection and play this for once

If anyone in the thread hasn't done it you really owe it to yourself to play MG2, if for no other reason than to see how closely MGS hews to its formula.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Midjack posted:

If anyone in the thread hasn't done it you really owe it to yourself to play MG2, if for no other reason than to see how closely MGS hews to its formula.

ChipCheezum and GeneralIronicus did some quickplays of both MG1 and MG2 during their MGS3 playthrough. It's a nice and easy way to digest the older games for anyone who can't be bothered to actually play them.

Gin_Rummy fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 18, 2024

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I've seen enough of MG2 along those lines to recognize it in my MGS1 playthrough even without playing much myself, but I figured I might as well give it another look. I got all confused trying to figure out how to access it from the Switch collection, since it wasn't showing up in any of the main games' menus and the internet was being no help, when I suddenly found it had installed itself as a completely separate game this evening. Which was 100% not there the entire time I played MGS1-3 over the last month! Technology! :arghfist::tinfoil:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
MG2 still has some "what (sometimes wacky) item do I use to deal with this problem" adventure game logic that only appears once in MGS and never again after that, so that's a fun aspect.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Big fan of the Zanzibarland venomous hamsters.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Takoluka posted:

Big fan of the Zanzibarland venomous hamsters.

Also using an owl to convince a guard it's night while in broad daylight

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Don't forget using rations with chocolate to neutralize huge puddles of cartoon acid! (Which was there, iirc, not as a trap, but because of the hamster infestation.)

MG2 rules, is what I'm saying.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

After The War posted:

Don't forget using rations with chocolate to neutralize huge puddles of cartoon acid! (Which was there, iirc, not as a trap, but because of the hamster infestation.)

MG2 rules, is what I'm saying.

I think that's a MacGyver reference?? He neutralizes sulfuric acid with chocolate bars in the pilot https://falconmovies.wordpress.com/2015/01/01/flashback-tv-macgyver-stops-acid-with-chocolate/

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I played around with MG2 for a while today, but I don't think I'm gonna go any further. I appreciate it a lot, but I think the mechanics needed that one extra level of refinement to MGS for me to actually get into playing it without any experience from way back when. Vision cones in particular were a nice development.

One funny thing is that I found the crawling/standing mechanic easier than in MGS1-3. With my MGSV muscle memory, I was still accidentally crawling occasionally by the end of 3 because I expected the crouch pose to transition into walking. I still did that here, but it's much less intrusive when the transition animation is a quick two sprite frames :v:

Related, I was really disappointed when it turned out that you couldn't crouch walk in 3, I was certain I remembered it starting there from my playthrough a few years back. Looks like they added it to the 3DS version, but I'm guessing it debuted in the main series with 4? That was one of my constant low-level gripes playing through the older games, I can get used to the older controls, but sneak-walking is so fun and useful that its absence is really noticeable.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

My favorite memory of MG2 is reading the summary of it from MGS1 and how dramatic that made everything sound and what it actually was uhhhh…

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Larryb posted:

Also using an owl to convince a guard it's night while in broad daylight
every time my dog does one of those big dog yawns in the middle of the day I instinctively go "NIGHTTIME" in a flat tone because of that guard

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Related, I was really disappointed when it turned out that you couldn't crouch walk in 3, I was certain I remembered it starting there from my playthrough a few years back. Looks like they added it to the 3DS version, but I'm guessing it debuted in the main series with 4? That was one of my constant low-level gripes playing through the older games, I can get used to the older controls, but sneak-walking is so fun and useful that its absence is really noticeable.

Sneak walking was with the d-pad in the original release of MGS3 though you didn't go into a full crouch when doing it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Happy tenth birthday, Ground Zeroes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Midjack posted:

Sneak walking was with the d-pad in the original release of MGS3 though you didn't go into a full crouch when doing it.

Oh yeah, I did figure that out this time, thanks to my left joycon being kind of finicky (also useful for precision aiming). It's not quite what I was thinking of, though, since it's slower and doesn't help me with getting the stances mixed up.