Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

zedprime posted:

Lower the ship imo. You never hear about submarines hitting bridges.

I decided to look and it seems like subs can hit mountains.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nuclear-submarine-uss-connecticut-collision-underwater-mountain-south-china-sea/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Explosionface posted:

Would it be possible for the rebuilt bridge to have fewer towers to reduce the likelihood of this happening? I'm not a civ-e, so it's out of my expertise.

I'll propose a single huge tower in the middle of the channel studded with concrete and steel projections with a fleet of those Ukranain JetSki drone circling constantly. Inexpensive, since cargo ships are lightly crew, the human cost of blowing up a couple is pretty low. Basically the worst design I can image that fits the parameters.

Or maybe a tunnel?

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
Just put the port outside of the harbor. Bing bong so simple.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Harry_Potato posted:

I'll propose a single huge tower in the middle of the channel studded with concrete and steel projections with a fleet of those Ukranain JetSki drone circling constantly. Inexpensive, since cargo ships are lightly crew, the human cost of blowing up a couple is pretty low. Basically the worst design I can image that fits the parameters.

Or maybe a tunnel?

super-long suspension bridge made of synthetic diamond, held up by wires made of dreams and cocaine. no piers at all.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Just slap some ERA on those bad boys.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
It looks like a pretty stupid place for a bridge. They should just put in a ferry instead.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Xerol posted:

One of the things I've been trying to research (unsuccessfully so far) is why they went with one of the longest truss spans in the world over any other option. I suspect the main factors were some combination of "cost", "cable stayed bridges weren't the go-to design yet", and "there's a steelworks 1/4 mile away". The channel itself is also less wide than the central span:

So it was as wide as it needed to be. Modern cable-stayed designs can have spans longer than not only the longest span of the truss (1/4 mile) but the entire width of the waterway (1 mile)*, and you can go even longer with suspension. Any serious study on the replacement bridge design is going to look at the balance between the costs of protective structures and a longer unsupported span. If they can build a replacement 1/4 mile span + sufficient dolphins for less than it costs to build the 1 mile span and no dolphins, they probably will.

Another factor is the height of the bridge itself. Not only to let tall ships pass through, but vehicles need to go up and down to get over the bridge, and you can't have that slope be too steep, and there's only so much land either side of the bridge where you can raise the highway.

*Assuming you count the causeway portion of the bridge complex as land

I'm far from an engineer, or a historian, just a concrete guy
In that era, truss systems were the thing. It was a tried and true technology, and in use and active construction for interstate bridges across the country. It's light (as bridges go), forgiving in construction, repairable, and has been proven to be able to span critical waterways at crazy heights.
Concrete cable stayed bridges are tough. They're generally constructed by building the piers to their full height, and then building the decks outwards from the piers evenly on both sides. For cast-in-place concrete, this is no small undertaking, especially using 70's era concrete mixing and pumping equipment. Modern cable-stayed bridges didn't come about until after the Key bridge was built - the replacement Sunshine Skyway bridge has a main span only 45 meters longer than the Key bridge's was, and it was opened 15 years after the Key. They Skyway also cost an inflation-adjusted $775,000,000. The Key bridge came in at half that.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Big Mac posted:

I'm far from an engineer, or a historian, just a concrete guy
In that era, truss systems were the thing. It was a tried and true technology, and in use and active construction for interstate bridges across the country. It's light (as bridges go), forgiving in construction, repairable, and has been proven to be able to span critical waterways at crazy heights.
Concrete cable stayed bridges are tough. They're generally constructed by building the piers to their full height, and then building the decks outwards from the piers evenly on both sides. For cast-in-place concrete, this is no small undertaking, especially using 70's era concrete mixing and pumping equipment. Modern cable-stayed bridges didn't come about until after the Key bridge was built - the replacement Sunshine Skyway bridge has a main span only 45 meters longer than the Key bridge's was, and it was opened 15 years after the Key. They Skyway also cost an inflation-adjusted $775,000,000. The Key bridge came in at half that.

So what you're saying is that Obama is still destroying america?

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

https://twitter.com/MolotovFlicker/status/1772532552181363166

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
THE BRIDGE NEEDS ME

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
That was Bob the Builder, he's going to go fix it

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Woozie66 posted:

That was Bob the Builder, he's going to go fix it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPxWmbYV_bs

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Ars has a good summary of the disaster: https://arstechnica.com/science/2024/03/why-the-baltimore-bridge-collapsed-so-quickly/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kreeningsons posted:

i did some quick loving around calculations at work but for energy absorbed, which based on my loving around research is the main way these bridge dolphins/protections systems are rated.

the sunshine skyway bridge in florida has a protection system rated for a hit from a 87,000 ton ship at 10 knots.

the ship that hit the key bridge in baltimore was reportedly 117,000 tons and traveling at 8 knots.

calculating the kinetic energy of each, the ship in baltimore had 86% of the kinetic energy as the skyway bridge protection system was rated for.

so it does seem like a protection system can withstand a direct hit from a ship this size. but key point, it has to be direct hit, not oblique like in baltimore, which looks like the ship dodged any protection system in place. this seems to be the place on the forums that this accident is getting the most technical discussion, so if any nerds know more about these systems than i do (basically just what i could learn today) then please correct me.

You might be interested in this Reddit thread:

Was the Francis Scott Key Bridge uniquely susceptible to collapse, would other bridges fare better? (self.AskEngineers)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mr. Nice! posted:

The bridge didn’t fall due to maintenance or design. There isn’t really much you can do to withstand that kind of impact. Most bridges in the world would collapse if hit by a fully loaded modern cargo ship with a head of steam.

The issue was the ship having the worst engineering casualty it could have near a bridge. If you want to prevent this issue, you focus on the ship itself and what went wrong.

Would harbor regs disallowing ships to go independent of harbor tugs until they're past the bridge have had any effect?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It's like those repair shops that tell people drive their own car into the bay when there's an oil change pit in the floor, like what the gently caress

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgDxXDV4_hc

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I want you to know that I'm local enough to have :lol:ed at this.

I would say I'd meet you at the Mills for dollar beers on Sunday night but I heard they went to poo poo after (apparently?) Phoenix Emporium bought them.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

It's like those repair shops that tell people drive their own car into the bay when there's an oil change pit in the floor, like what the gently caress

I do this every time but it's always kind of surprising to me that they trust people not to be complete idiots.

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug
Sandblasting an old door:

https://i.imgur.com/lCrSj4G.mp4

Quite a few people in the comments noting all the possible lead paint being dispersed into the environment.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I think a dude with that much PPE probably had a $10 lead testing kit

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

hawowanlawow posted:

Or he's wearing that much PPE because he knows the results of the test.

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

Weembles posted:

Or he's wearing that much PPE because he knows the results of the test.
There's no way he'd want to breathe in that much lead!

Or include the last 1 second of the video where the final piece of paint is removed.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Crazypoops posted:

I'm dying of curiosity to find out what happened on the ship

The boatswain got really into crypto and installed a miner on the nav computer, which caused the brownouts

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Serjeant Snubbin posted:

Quite a few people in the comments noting all the possible lead paint being dispersed into the environment.

In this case it's soda blasting, sandblasting would damage the wood but soda blasting will get the paint off with minimal surface damage.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Serjeant Snubbin posted:

I've spent an embarrassing number of hours over the last several years painstakingly sanding, patching, and repainting all the original doors in my house and I'm kinda mad that I never even considered this as a possible alternative.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

I'm a special kind of asshole!

As a Public Works employee in Florida, this is unfortunately about the behavior you'd expect.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

i instagram comment on a lot of these home renovation videos asking people if they tested for lead paint. it's about 50/50, some people just ignore the possibility altogether. that dude is probably on top of it though.

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

there was a goon onboard too :ssh:

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Nice to see someone who presumably know things explaining what likely went down

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Nice to see someone who presumably know things explaining what likely went down

dude literally signed his post. he aint fuckin around

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I want you to know that I'm local enough to have :lol:ed at this.

Same.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

KoRMaK posted:

dude literally signed his post. he aint fuckin around

He signed it but misspelled his name so I don’t know what to believe

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_sazrs4uFen1a1i6yy.mp4

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

haveblue posted:

He signed it but misspelled his name so I don’t know what to believe

It's an old guy on Facebook. Such things are expected of him.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I'm surprised a senior Maersk employee is torpedoing their career by posting on social media about a high profile incident like this.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Retired I think

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Serjeant Snubbin posted:

there is something almost therapeutic about watching sandblasting (or even better, the anti-rust laser) doing its thing. its so satisfying. one of the youtube channels i really like, "Odd Tinkering", does restorations, and one of the toys in his shop is a loving laser that blasts rust off things. its a joy to watch it go. highly recommend the channel, its just a man working with his tools and restoring stuff that looks entirely too far gone, back to like new, or often times, better than new condition (like, by rustproofing battery terminals in electronics by electroplating). No music, no talking, just some hands, and some tools (And a rubber ducky.)

Picked a random one, restoring an old pencil sharpener
No big deal, just machining an entirely new set of parts that havent been made in over 100 years. also lasers!

Aishlinn fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 28, 2024

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Aishlinn posted:

...one of the toys in his shop is a loving laser that blasts rust off things. its a joy to watch it go.

Yep!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYGduuxXHl4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

They shouldn't make a tool that powerful/dangerous sound so cool. It's a liability.