Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I still prefer Sim City 4 over C:S

i'm still so mad at EA for loving up next-gen sim city

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Beeftweeter posted:

my city builder ranking:

- simcity 2000
- cities skylines 1
- simcity 3000

everything else tied for last

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

my city builder ranking:

- simcity 2000
- cities skylines 1
- simcity 3000

everything else tied for last

- sc2k
- c:s 1
- sim tower
- sc3k
- tropico 3, 4, 5
- simtown

- the rest

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm on Against The Storm for my citybuilder this year.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
there was also an ios port of sim city that was fairly original (but seemed to be mostly based off of sc3k) that i liked a lot, but it died with the 64-bit transition

idk why they haven't just ported sc2k to ios yet. seems like it'd be easy and they'd sell a boatload

make it free but charge IAP for network play

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I got anno 1800 cuz it looked like a neat city builder, but I haven’t managed to bother actually installing it lol

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

fart simpson posted:

im still recommending u go to china

you're a good friend

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i'd also be satisfied with a modern port of simcopter, perhaps with gamepad/joystick support

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
im 30 today

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Beeftweeter posted:

i wantes to like that game so bad and it was just so bad

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

- sc2k
- sim tower
- sc3k
- tropico 3, 4, 5
- simtown

- the rest

KirbyKhan posted:

I'm on Against The Storm for my citybuilder this year.

idk if i personally count tropico or against the storm in the same class as the simcity games (because they have explicit win and lose conditions), but i like against the storm a lot and tropico 1 and 4 are pretty good

also yoot tower is better than sim tower, check it out if you've never played it

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

there was also an ios port of sim city that was fairly original (but seemed to be mostly based off of sc3k) that i liked a lot, but it died with the 64-bit transition

idk why they haven't just ported sc2k to ios yet. seems like it'd be easy and they'd sell a boatload

make it free but charge IAP for network play

there is a gba port of 2000. it's very strange.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Beeftweeter posted:

- sc2k
- sim tower
- sc3k
- tropico 3, 4, 5
- simtown

- the rest

[bursts through wall of thread]

MY MAN HAVE YOU TRIED ANNO

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Beeftweeter posted:

- sc2k
- sim tower
- sc3k
- tropico 3, 4, 5
- simtown

- the rest

the Japanese ‘tower’ was better than ‘sim tower’ cuz it had fuckloads more content made for it

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Happy Birthday!

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Deviant posted:

[bursts through wall of thread]

MY MAN HAVE YOU TRIED ANNO

do you mean thriving city song??

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

timberborn is a promising city builder imo. needs stuff added though, it’s too easy to run out of poo poo to research

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

happy birthday improbable lobster.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

dioxazine posted:

do you mean thriving city song??

"Very profitable."

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i still like sim city 2000 the best

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

:toot:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Project Highrise is the latest 2D Yoot-likr Tower Builder I've played. I have vague memories of enjoying at 2016 launch. Reinstalled it a month ago. Base game with no dlc, I enjoyed the 3 Scenerio maps I've played so far.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
someone's car alarm woke me up during the wee hours and i hope it explodes

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

KirbyKhan posted:

Project Highrise is the latest 2D Yoot-likr Tower Builder I've played. I have vague memories of enjoying at 2016 launch. Reinstalled it a month ago. Base game with no dlc, I enjoyed the 3 Scenerio maps I've played so far.

i should try it again now, but i remember trying it in the past and it felt kind of sterile

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

psiox posted:

someone's car alarm woke me up during the wee hours and i hope it explodes

https://twitter.com/wolfpupy/status/391950570174418946

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

I hope you have a ... heh heh heh ... I hope you have a HOPPY birthday!!!!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

:xd:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

gg m8

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
hbd unlikely lobster

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

happy birthday

i have a few years until i turn 40, but overall my 30s have been way better than my 20s

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

I took the surfliner from la to slo once and it is an amazing trip. only about 4 hours AND wifi the whole way!

* except through Vandenberg, which is Nap Time

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
CJS: I’m almost done getting a bootable K3 platform on OpenWRT. Just a few packages to go and then cleanup!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

:rip:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

happy birthday!

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

hb improbable lobster

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

idk if i personally count tropico or against the storm in the same class as the simcity games (because they have explicit win and lose conditions), but i like against the storm a lot and tropico 1 and 4 are pretty good

also yoot tower is better than sim tower, check it out if you've never played it

you can play tropico pretty much indefinitely without triggering a win/lose situation as long as you manage everything correctly, so i guess i'd count it as a city builder. i mean, it's not much different from going bankrupt in sc2k or having the arcologies blast off

i have indeed played yoot tower too, and yeah, it is better. i still have a soft spot for simtower though

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

there is a gba port of 2000. it's very strange.

i've actually played that too. i hated the controls and considering how much gba games were i'm glad i didn't actually buy it

i seem to remember a DS port that was somewhere in between sc2k and 3k, but i don't think it was very good because i don't remember much about it

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

you can play tropico pretty much indefinitely without triggering a win/lose situation as long as you manage everything correctly, so i guess i'd count it as a city builder. i mean, it's not much different from going bankrupt in sc2k or having the arcologies blast off

i've played tropico 1 the most and iirc there's a hard stop at 70 years even in sandbox mode

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
this is also reminding me that there was an ios port of yoot tower that was also killed by the 64-bit transition :argh:

so was civilization: revolutions. i liked that one because it was actually not impossible to beat on the hardest difficulty

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

CPColin posted:

* except through Vandenberg, which is Nap Time

lompoc station is a pro place to watch the rocket launches when they were still doing them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

i've played tropico 1 the most and iirc there's a hard stop at 70 years even in sandbox mode

i played 3 the most i think (...maybe it was 4, they're pretty similar) and i could swear they let you keep playing after you win/lose, but it's been like 15 years so i might be wrong