Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
25 years according to CNN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

he's getting 25 years

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
oh goddamnit 20 years?!

e: so says nbc, i guess those other outlets are more accurate

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Goodbye, Sam.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

evilweasel posted:

ugh he's getting less than 50 years

How impactful is AUSA recommendations to judge discretion when they said the points are enough for life in prison?.
efb: meh 25 years.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Eeyo posted:

what's your bets for sbf's sentence? i'm going with 25 years

nailed it

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Did not expect Snowden to make an appearance.

https://x.com/Snowden/status/1773376645161730378?s=20

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
he's probably going to die in prison once they take away his amphetamines anyway

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

fins posted:

lmao, the pseudo :godwin: by counsel.

he makes decisions with meth in his head

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

evilweasel posted:

so in practice, not really

what you do is you take the pile of claims forms, stack them incredibly high, sky-high. you then have someone enter their identifying information into a database along with the amount of money they claimed.

you then compare that database to ftx's internal database, which you've already used to multiply the assets by the prices fixed by the bankruptcy court (they got this order already) to arrive at a fixed value. in reality, this internal database is what people are going to get and you don't care what they claimed. it's just a matter of going through the appropriate legal hoops to modify their claims.

you then just file endless omnibus objections saying "person X claimed $500k, our books and records say $3.41, allow their claim at $3.41" with like 200 claims per objection (exact amount depends on the tolerance of the judge). you never actually bother to read the claim forms, aside from the grunt labor who typed the information into the database. if someone responds to the objection, you might bother to read the claim form if their response raises any sort of real issue, otherwise you just file an omnibus response saying "fifty people responded saying various things you've already ruled on, overrule those objections"

the problem comes in just churning through tens of thousands of claims, dealing with the responses, and certainly some of the nutters will file appeals

thanks for this!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

i don't think it's disingenuous. they have an insane amount of claims, and people are valuing them based upon crypto's rise.

say i got $250m worth of bitcoin when it was $20k/coin on ftx. bitcoin is now $71k. my $250m in bitcoin should be worth $12,500,000,000,000.

you then add in all the people that had however much of whatever shitcoin that has also risen in value with bitcoin and it adds up to an insane amount of money.

ray has to go through and figure out what the actual cash value of these accounts were when the company filed bankruptcy and pay them that. this is a monumental task especially because everyone thinks they're entitled to so much more than they are.

and that spells disaster for you at sacrifice!

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

yeah, sbf made a website too, he should have gotten at least one

Caros
May 14, 2008

https://twitter.com/SBF_FTX/status/1591989554881658880?t=fqZjb7Zs_mjNFkPPVYkBkw&s=19

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
sam is 32 years old so he will be getting out when he is 57 (feds dont really do parole or take off much time for good behavior)

57 years old, no wife, no kids, parents likely dead, friends all moved on, no up-to-date job skills, the physical health of someone who has been breathing prison air and eating prison food for 25 years - he deserved a much harsher sentence but thats a pretty solid punishment for a soft child of privilege

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it's always hilarious how people's brains break when the law gets actually applied to a privileged person

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

FMguru posted:

sam is 32 years old so he will be getting out when he is 57 (feds dont really do parole or take off much time for good behavior)

57 years old, no wife, no kids, parents likely dead, friends all moved on, no up-to-date job skills, the physical health of someone who has been breathing prison air and eating prison food for 25 years - he deserved a much harsher sentence but thats a pretty solid punishment for a soft child of privilege

I assume there will also be civil suits so he'll likely be destitute for the rest of his life too

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Your honor, if I were offered a coin flip that could kill every human being, I'd flip that coin twice!

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I mean hell yeah 25 years haw haw and all that, but let's not forget he's only suffering actual consequences because he broke the cardinal rule: Don't steal from rich people.

Caros
May 14, 2008

FMguru posted:

Could be as low as 52. He has credit for ~a year of pre trial detention and federal prison time can drop to 85% for good behavior. If he can stop criming behind bars.

Still a pretty rough time to get out.

Edit: He was also ordered to pay 11 billion in a monetary judgement asked by the prosecution.

Caros fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 28, 2024

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

he also got an $11b forfeiture so I guess that means no money for him in perpetuity?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
are there any other criminal prosecutions cued up for sam? maybe state level?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

they should have sentenced him like an effective altruist. he 1/4 ruined tens of thousands of peoples’ lives, so that’s like murdering a quarter of those tens of thousands of people. 10000 consecutive life sentences.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FMguru posted:

are there any other criminal prosecutions cued up for sam? maybe state level?

wouldn't be surprised if a few states are rushing to figure out if they can bring charges

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

knox_harrington posted:

he also got an $11b forfeiture so I guess that means no money for him in perpetuity?

lol yeah pretty much

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

evilweasel posted:

wouldn't be surprised if a few states are rushing to figure out if they can bring charges

i would think any that might even remotely fit the possibility have already investigated the possibility and calculated that the federal charges were stiff enough, although they're probably just as let down by the sentence as most of us

i mean, who else could go after him?

i suppose NY, CA, MA, NJ, CT... idk offhand which other/how many states actually have crypto regs, but either way i'd guess they'd go by number of victims impacted. so that would probably skew towards the larger, wealthier states, but only ones with actual regulations/enforcement. so that leaves out FL and TX at least, which is kind of a lot of people to exclude

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

curious to see what happens to caroline ellison now. her plea deal protected her from being charged with any additional crimes that came up while prosecuting sbf, but she didn't get full immunity in exchange for her testimony either

whatever it is, it will be significantly less than sbf though

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

The_Franz posted:

curious to see what happens to caroline ellison now. her plea deal protected her from being charged with any additional crimes that came up while prosecuting sbf, but she didn't get full immunity in exchange for her testimony either

whatever it is, it will be significantly less than sbf though

considering how light they went on sam himself, probably 2.5 years, if that. like even if she didn't fully cooperate i'd bet no more than 5 regardless

maybe some token restitution and a temporary ban on working in finance

e: not like, crypto tokens, token as in a pittance compared to $11 billion

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 28, 2024

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Beeftweeter posted:

i would think any that might even remotely fit the possibility have already investigated the possibility and calculated that the federal charges were stiff enough, although they're probably just as let down by the sentence as most of us

did this trial include sbf's straw donor stuff? i lost track of what was in it and genuinely can't remember how many of his crimes were weighed here

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Beeftweeter posted:

i mean, who else could go after him?

i suppose NY, CA, MA, NJ, CT... idk offhand which other/how many states actually have crypto regs, but either way i'd guess they'd go by number of victims impacted. so that would probably skew towards the larger, wealthier states, but only ones with actual regulations/enforcement. so that leaves out FL and TX at least, which is kind of a lot of people to exclude

basically every state AG has designs on future political office, and there's going to be a constituency for Greater Punishment for SBF and very little constituency for Poor SBF Be Nice To Him

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Agile Vector posted:

did this trial include sbf's straw donor stuff? i lost track of what was in it and genuinely can't remember how many of his crimes were weighed here

no, those charges were going to be brought separately. iirc they were dropped when sam put up far less of an effective defense than anticipated, but that doesn't mean they can't be brought again

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

evilweasel posted:

basically every state AG has designs on future political office, and there's going to be a constituency for Greater Punishment for SBF and very little constituency for Poor SBF Be Nice To Him

yeah i know, i meant, like, which states could actually go after him, assuming they even wanted to? they would need some specific regulations on the books and iirc less than half of states have any regarding crypto specifically, but i could be misremembering

to rephrase, with political considerations in mind i would assume there's some reason general financial fraud statutes don't apply, at least fully. but as you know those can vary wildly from state to state

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Beeftweeter posted:

no, those charges were going to be brought separately. iirc they were dropped when sam put up far less of an effective defense than anticipated, but that doesn't mean they can't be brought again

oooh yeah, that's the stuff. I'm interested to see if they roll that again soon or let it sit for a bit until other ftx trials complete

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Beeftweeter posted:

i thought he was charged in a superseding indictment with witness tampering too though. so that would make it a core question?

superceding charges were never tried, he got enough charges from the first trial that they didn't bother with the later ones

this whole thing was messy, lotsa crimes

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

FMguru posted:

NBC was saying he could be out in 12.5 for good behavior

But yeah that’s still a big critical part of your life… if he had just plead guilty and not acted like a giant poo poo he’d probably get half that sentence

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah i know, i meant, like, which states could actually go after him, assuming they even wanted to? they would need some specific regulations on the books and iirc less than half of states have any regarding crypto specifically, but i could be misremembering

to rephrase, with political considerations in mind i would assume there's some reason general financial fraud statutes don't apply, at least fully. but as you know those can vary wildly from state to state

you don't really need crypto regulations. you just need theft and fraud laws. that's what he got nailed on federally, and seems the easiest avenue for any state.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

evilweasel posted:

does the voting public really care what happens to sbf enough to make a difference? it’s not like his crimes are the kind that sound unforgivable to normal people, and he’s not an immigrant or minority or politically prominent or anything so there can’t be that much capital to be made out of criticising the sentence as lenient?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
He'll be out in 5 years. And he will kill again.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Potato Salad posted:

superceding charges were never tried, he got enough charges from the first trial that they didn't bother with the later ones

this whole thing was messy, lotsa crimes

yeah, a couple were dropped initially because of jurisdictional challenges from the bahamas too

i guess the upshot is that since they were never brought, they still could be

Paladinus posted:

nah, the feds don't really do early release unless you're literally on death's door (and there's no parole)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Paladinus posted:

a trail of shrimp tails lay wherever his path of vengeance takes him