Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Carlosologist posted:

Juan Soto fixed the Yankees, 162-0 is on

I hate the “great man” type theories but the one thing that series seemed to demonstrably prove is that Soto means when Judge has a bad series there’s still a big force in the middle so the lineup doesn’t fall apart like it often did last season. Which is obvious. Having two superstars is better than one. Duh. But it was on full display why this series vs what happened a lot the last couple of years when Judge was hurt/off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

I hate baseball again. Been awhile but that old feeling is crawling back from the shadows.

Couple more series losses and that hate turns to disinterest

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Are the players' names different on the new unis? Smaller letters or a different font or something?

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
It’s shocking how much the outfield is improved. Soto and getting a hot series out of Cabrera carried those games.

Also having a dude who is left handed with a great eye and can hit for both power and average is cool.

The rest of the lineup isn’t doing poo poo but 4-0 against the Astros was not how i expected the season to start so whatever man.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The Pussy Boss posted:

Are the players' names different on the new unis? Smaller letters or a different font or something?

https://x.com/deucemcbrideszn/status/1774490881581625614?s=46&t=EhzTvpa5Lh8bIAryRijIPQ

The jerseys are an affront to god

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

That is so gross and lame

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

And the backs are terrible, too. :stat::wal:

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
After three games Bobby Witt Jr has a 1.888 OPS. He was a double away from a cycle today.

I guess that’s pretty good.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Jose Oquendo posted:

The Pittsburgh Pirates are currently hold 1st place in the NL.

The Marlins are a hell of a drug

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Cubs.

Are.

BACK

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Well Played Mauer posted:

It’s shocking how much the outfield is improved. Soto and getting a hot series out of Cabrera carried those games.

Also having a dude who is left handed with a great eye and can hit for both power and average is cool.

The rest of the lineup isn’t doing poo poo but 4-0 against the Astros was not how i expected the season to start so whatever man.

The Yankee outfield in September is going to be Soto in left JD in CF and Judge in right.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

mcmagic posted:

The Yankee outfield in September [...] Judge in right.

Wow. Optimism from mcmagic???

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Mustached Demon posted:

Cubs.

Are.

BACK

They gave up more unearned runs than earned runs, but they finally won a game, drat it

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/eloygarcia84/status/1774541954203738221

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

The quality of Fanatics t-shirts compared to Majestic is extremely bad, too.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Wow. Optimism from mcmagic???

I think I've been higher on the team this season than most other Yankee fans tbh

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Friars back to .500 lfgsd

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Tigers in 1st place after the first series of the season!

The feeling is going to change when they have to play a team that isn't one of the worst in the league (or just outside of the central period), but I'm still going to savor this.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Imagine being the Cubs, such a shitshow of an organization that your lead TV play-by-play guy, beloved by the fanbase and one of the best in the game, goes to call games on the radio for the loving White Sox.

Imagine being the White Sox, such a shitshow of an organization that your lead TV play-by-play guy, beloved by the fanbase and one of the best in the game, goes to call games for the goddamn Tigers.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lmao that they drove Len out over wearing full suits in the booth and then walked that policy back only a few months later when they finally realized literally everybody in existence besides the dipshit MBA failsons obsessed with some false veneer of professionalism running Marquee loving hated it.

The Cubs booth is only currently salvageable because JD stuck around but it definitely feels like he's been winding down the past couple years and whenever he hops off and leaves us with like, a booth of Boog, Dempster, and Sutt I'm going to have to watch every game on mute or just deal with the radio not being in sync.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

The Cubs booth is only currently salvageable because JD stuck around but it definitely feels like he's been winding down the past couple years and whenever he hops off and leaves us with like, a booth of Boog, Dempster, and Sutt I'm going to have to watch every game on mute or just deal with the radio not being in sync.

Honestly, the three-man booths and the presence of Boog and Sutcliffe is enough to make me glad that the Cubs are one of the six teams blacked out on MLB.tv across the entire state of Iowa.

And if I never have to hear Ryan Dempster's terrible impression of Will Ferrell doing a terrible impression of Haray Caray, I may be able to die a happy man.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

ozymandius1024 posted:

The feeling is going to change when they have to play a team that isn't one of the worst in the league (or just outside of the central period), but I'm still going to savor this.

I feel like it's cheating to say you're in 1st place after the first series of the season when we've played one more game than you :colbert:

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Monathin posted:

I feel like it's cheating to say you're in 1st place after the first series of the season when we've played one more game than you :colbert:

Sorry, the numbers don't lie, and they say Cleveland is 0.5 games back.

We're not going to talk about run differential though.....

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The Pirates started hot last year too. They were 20-8 at one point.

There's no reason to say hurtful things.

ozymandius1024 fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 1, 2024

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The Pirates will do what they always do, refuse to adjust once the book is written on them and fall permanently under .500 by June

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

New jerseys look like Charlie Kirk’s squished-rear end face

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

At which point they signed Derek Shelton, who at that moment had the 20th-worst winning percentage in baseball history, to a multi-year extension.

Today he still has the 20th-worst winning percentage in baseball history. Imagine that.

That's not to say Earl Weaver could do much with the players the Pirates employ. It's just... massive cheapskates that you are, this is what you choose to spend money on? A manager who is completely vanilla and mediocre in every way, already a veteran of several 100-loss seasons?

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
It's crazy how much I enjoyed Boog as a national TV guy and now dislike him as the Cubs TV guy. He just feels so disconnected.

I love Dempster and think he's pretty solid in the booth. Dunno if I could envision him as a full-time guy, though. When JD leaves, it's gonna get real bad.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
With the A's beating the Guardians today, the Astros have managed a perfect record that puts us firmly in last place in the division.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

DeepDickPizza posted:

It's crazy how much I enjoyed Boog as a national TV guy and now dislike him as the Cubs TV guy. He just feels so disconnected.

I love Dempster and think he's pretty solid in the booth. Dunno if I could envision him as a full-time guy, though. When JD leaves, it's gonna get real bad.

Boog doesn't know how to home team his broadcast. Beth is cool give her more games please.

I miss Len. Him and JD did such a good job at just being two dudes watching baseball together.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I think Boog would be better if I didn't have to listen to him for an entire season, he's basically an ideal ESPN once a week guy. He's gotten better since he started when he was constantly making jokes and a lot of it self-deprecating, he still does that but not as much.

If JD ever leaves and we end up with a booth of Boog/Sutcliffe/Dempster I don't know what I would do, that would be brutal.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah like Boog isn't a bad announcer in a vacuum he's just a really ill fit to be a specific team's home pbp guy. For some reason Marquee was really obsessed with a getting a national broadcast type to replace Len, prior to settling on Boog they were apparently going to go with some Fox national announcer guy who they ultimately had to back out on because it came out he'd done a racism in the past.

To their credit they've also tried to bring in a bunch of former player talent but the problem is none of them are actually good media personalities. Grace was an rear end in a top hat, Sutt is a droning old man who can't make it sober for three innings, Glanville and Dempster are both painfully unfunny.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I actually kind of like Glanville, he also had one of the funniest moments I've ever witnessed live on a broadcast during COVID times. He was in the booth with Boog and JD but someone must have tested positive and so they both had to take tests and wait for the results before being allowed into the booth. This resulted in Glanville being alone calling play by play and he was clearly very nervous, he did fine but it was incredibly funny to hear him winging it hoping the other 2 would show up soon which they did.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

white sox traded someone named "jake cousins" to the yankees for motherfuckin' cash considerations, baby

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 1, 2024

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

it would be cool to me if the chicago cubs could learn how to both catch and throw a baseball.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

ozymandius1024 posted:

Rebuilding finally over? Tigers are good now? (No.)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I can't believe Juan Soto is going to hit .585 and reach base in 162 consecutive games on da fukken Yankees.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Finally saw a Phillies game . They made the tv presentation worse. You can’t even see the pitcher the on screen ads are so distracting a bright . It’s so depressing. It’s like they don’t want me watch.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I know Juan Soto is going to test free agency, because he is one of the best hitters of his generation and likely a Hall of Famer. But Jesus Christ, the Yankees need to back the money dump truck up to his house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Are the Cubs seriously going to make me get all bundled up and go to the game today before deciding the weather is too bad to play?