Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

This has got to be insurance fraud right

They just happened to know exactly which house had a safe with eight million dollars in jewelry in a safe and exactly where the safe was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol at this part

quote:

The Sundar family also questioned the level of urgency on this issue in Washington.

“I want a politician to go through this experience and he may feel exactly as I feel,” Balakrishna Sundar said.

“They’re supposed to help us,” his wife added. “It’s very annoying and disturbing.”

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

burglary tourists™ literalizing the unconscious fear that denizens of the global south will reclaim the spoils of colonialism

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

$8 million wtf. someone's pushing a lot of these stories through, last week it was fearmongering about ecuadorian squatters taking over airbnbs.
‘They hit the jackpot’: How so-called ‘burglary tourists’ use visa waivers to target luxury US homes

one weird tip to not falling victim to this type of crime is to not have 8 million in precious moveables in a safe

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
if you have 8 million in jewelry you can loving afford safe deposit boxes at a goddamn bank you ninnies.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Clark Nova posted:

burglary tourists™ literalizing the unconscious fear that denizens of the global south will reclaim the spoils of colonialism

Ventura County, California, alone attributed 175 residential burglaries to “transnational theft groups” between 2019 and mid-2023.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

bedpan posted:

one weird tip to not falling victim to this type of crime is to not have 8 million in precious moveables in a safe

rich people who haven't had anything bad happen to them start to think it cant happen to them

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

They just happened to know exactly which house had a safe with eight million dollars in jewelry in a safe and exactly where the safe was?

possibly. also possibly they are just hitting a random house with the very good assumption there is a safe somewhere

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

So the problem with the visa waiver program is that these sophisticated burglars pulling off multi-million dollar heists don't have to pay $200 for a tourist visa? And if they had to they would just... give up instead?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

bedpan posted:

possibly. also possibly they are just hitting a random house with the very good assumption there is a safe somewhere

My second guess was that these morons all employ and abuse undocumented South American domestic slaves and this is how they're getting paid

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

you’ve never walked around a rich neighborhood and looked at the big houses and mused about how they’re all just stuffed full of loot?

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

bedpan posted:

rich houses all have security systems they don't get hit randomly people case poo poo every time
rich socialites use social media a lot and their friends do too & it's easy to work out when someone's home just through that + they'll have skeezy drug addict kids/relatives and random pool/roof/maintenance workers in their houses or nearby properties and sometimes those businesses have employees tied into organized crime and have ppl who'll case stuff to have their burglar friends come back months/years later like the exterminators in breaking bad

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

FirstnameLastname posted:

rich houses all have security systems they don't get hit randomly people case poo poo every time
rich socialites use social media a lot and their friends do too & it's easy to work out when someone's home just through that + they'll have skeezy drug addict kids/relatives and random pool/roof/maintenance workers in their houses or nearby properties and sometimes those businesses have employees tied into organized crime and have ppl who'll case stuff to have their burglar friends come back months/years later like the exterminators in breaking bad

One thing is true, never tell your housekeeping staff or your kitchen staff when you’ll be going out of town

It helps to hire somebody to come buy and sleep in your bed and eat your meals

Just a tip

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

How do I get a job being a professional sleeper

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

bedpan posted:

have 2 safes, one decoy with less valuable stuff in and a hidden one with the important stuff in

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Simply have a series of nested safes inside which you keep your priceless matryoshka collection.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Megamissen posted:

have 2 safes, one decoy with less valuable stuff in and a hidden one with the important stuff in
maybe the 8 million in jewelry was the less valuable stuff

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Mr. Sharps posted:

you’ve never walked around a rich neighborhood and looked at the big houses and mused about how they’re all just stuffed full of loot?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

FYI, all burglary gangs have local police involved in their operations (see the burglary ring that rob a large part of Long Island about a decade ago with the help of a NYPD cop that had insider information as to insurance, security systems, etc. and helped them map out the heists for a cut of the profits)

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Simply have a series of nested safes inside which you keep your priceless matryoshka collection.

make the whole house out of the safe

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

The Oldest Man posted:

For all we know they couldn't resist posting photos of the ring on Instagram or on Facebook. Social media are like a burglar dream and some people aren't into stealth wealth.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Pistol_Pete posted:

Lol economists and their loving averages. If a factory owner has a salary of $991000 and his 9 employees have a salary of $1000 each, the average salary for that business is $100k. "Wow, sounds like a great place to work!" cries the economist, "clear me a space on the production line!"

I think part of Wolfers’ thing is that we’ve had 50 years now of steadily deteriorating economic conditions for the majority. conditions papered over by increasingly drastic measures — the rise of dual-income households, consumer debt, and exploitation of yet-unexploited external markets — all of this during times that we’ve labeled as “awesome economy great job”. the mitigations have all run their course and there’s no more juice.

But the numbers haven’t changed, they look the same as what we have labeled awesome economy time so economy still awesome, right?

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Toplowtech posted:

For all we know they couldn't resist posting photos of the ring on Instagram or on Facebook. Social media are like a burglar dream and some people aren't into stealth wealth.

posting their keys to their new property and getting instantly burglarized after someone uses the pic to hand file an exact copy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's just viral marketing for Michael Mann's Heat 2

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

In Training posted:

historically you'd need a plague that makes rich people want to leave the city for a while but not sell their property

hmmmmm

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Mr. Sharps posted:

posting their keys to their new property and getting instantly burglarized after someone uses the pic to hand file an exact copy
Hand file? You mean 3d print.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

The Oldest Man posted:

insurance fraud mixed with money laundering because 8 million dollars in easily moveable jewelry means some of that was almost certainly graded 'art' with arbitrarily set price (that was probably nearly impossible to find some bagholder to buy)

In Training posted:

be a poor person who was acquaintances with them from going to the same college or something; rich people will never help you out in any real way but they'll at least overpay for dumb poo poo like that

atelier morgan has issued a correction as of 08:03 on Apr 7, 2024

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's just viral marketing for Michael Mann's Heat 2

way too low profile, Mann's got standards: https://www.cbsnews.com/losangeles/news/30-million-stolen-massive-heist-los-angeles-investigation/

"Up to $30 million in cash stolen from Los Angeles building, making it largest heist in city's history"

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

The Oldest Man posted:

What's fishy? Most married couples take off their wedding rings and put them in the safe when going to visit relatives.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

inviting national scrutiny toward your insurance fraud scheme because you want to be the star of a story about the bourgeois tragedy of having your shiny rocks pilfered by illegal immigrants

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

FirstnameLastname posted:

right after every olympics, there's a bunch of fun articles about athletes coming home to find their houses cleaned out of valuables.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
social media truly is the great leveler. it gets everyone addicted and occasionally the results are very funny

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

mawarannahr posted:

Ventura County, California, alone attributed 175 residential burglaries to “transnational theft groups” between 2019 and mid-2023.
here at Transnational Theft Group, we specialize in

yeah okay you hear the voice in your head I don't even have to finish the sentence :effort:

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Clark Nova posted:

the person named balakrishnan sundar is visibly a member of the global south.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

DACK FAYDEN posted:

here at Transnational Theft Group, we specialize in

yeah okay you hear the voice in your head I don't even have to finish the sentence :effort:

the tell me you are racist without telling me you are

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Transnational Theft Group sounds like the rival syndicate in a thief game

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

even the nations are trans now? where does it end

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
waht's a Cisnational Theft Group? that's right, the fricken IRS

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Palladium posted:

the tell me you are racist without telling me you are
racist? no, it's one of the voices from the opener of Airplane!, the lady who goes "you want me to have an abortion!", or the guy who sounds like the guy at every airport going "The TSA would like you remind you that..."

like yes there's definitely racism baked into "Generic White Person Announcement Voice" but I was going for an ad you'd hear over the radio in the DMV area microtargeting one Senator

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3CAMN31JAU
oh my god why on earth is this phone aspected

DACK FAYDEN has issued a correction as of 14:30 on Apr 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Goa Tse-tung posted:

waht's a Cisnational Theft Group? that's right, the fricken IRS