Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
The only game I've ever gotten every achievement for is Cats Hidden in Maple Hollow :catte:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Unicorn Overlord gave me a real itch to play one of the Growlanser games. Which ones are considered the best? I have vague memories of playing Growlanser 2, 3, and 4 but don't remember much of what they were like.

2 is my favorite for having one of the best "evil" routes ever.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Unicorn Overlord gave me a real itch to play one of the Growlanser games. Which ones are considered the best? I have vague memories of playing Growlanser 2, 3, and 4 but don't remember much of what they were like.

3 was my favorite personally. Man, I kinda miss having low information on games. I got the premium edition of growlanser generation on a deep discount at Best Buy as a kid and ended up falling in love with the game.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Mr. Trampoline posted:

I'm absolutely love 2 the most out of the officially released in English ones. 3 is a more full RPG experience but I always found the story to be rushed up at the end and I didn't mesh with the characters as much (except Monika, love her).
Also agreed that GL2 has one of the best evil paths in a game technically maybe two of them depending on how see the Wolfgang route?

I'm also bad and have never finished 4 despite hearing about its quality, and I disliked 5's change to 3D graphics and how the skill system worked and didn't get past the prologue.

DrManiac posted:

Man, I kinda miss having low information on games. I got the premium edition of growlanser generation on a deep discount at Best Buy as a kid and ended up falling in love with the game.

It was the first game I remember preordering a limited edition of since a friend stumbled upon it when on the Working Designs website, and he and I played both games in tandem while chatting over AIM. No walkthroughs outside of a page on that same website that answered how to get past the 5th mission in GL2 with the best outcome. We hecked up getting Charlone's ending available and completely restarted to do it right.

Rascyc posted:

3 is when they switched to a voiceless protagonist? I didn't like that and I guess it felt like a step backwards from 2 for me so I never finished it.

Switched back technically, as GL1's protagonist also didn't have text or a voice - lots of talking from your fairy companion to fill in the gaps though.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Sorry if I missed it somewhere - anyone played Our Adventurer Guild? It's cheap and it looks cute, though the art's only so-so.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Has there been a single good Mana game outside Secret of Mana?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

credburn posted:

Trials was excellent. If you don't like the remake, play the original snes version of the game (SD3) with translation patch, it holds up extremely well.

I'm also fond of Legend but that one is understandably more polarizing than some of the others.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

credburn posted:

People seem to really like Trials of Mana, and I remember thinking Legend of Mana was great back in the day. I was a stupid child at the time, though, so feel free to disregard that.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

credburn posted:

Trials is good, both the remake and the OG.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Legend, Children, and Sword are also good.

Dawn was bad, and I didn't really understand Heroes at the time. Should give it another try at some point.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Some people are saying the Legend of Mana is one of the best games ever made

And that person is me

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

credburn posted:

most of them

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah I was gonna ask where did this belief start that it was a one and the rest suck? I think the FFA remake got a lukewarm reception and we meme about SD3's menus but other than that I thought it was universally liked.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Legend of Mana is a stealth SaGa game so therefore it’s the greatest game ever made.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

OneDeadman posted:

Legend of Mana is a stealth SaGa game so therefore it’s the greatest game ever made.

Man, I really need to play that demo, huh?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
mana games aren't awful but they are jank. like sd3 is getting dropped here as on par with the remake and half of why the remake exists is because the original game has some of the most miserably slow action combat in the business, to the point it's, only technically action combat because some of it is real time even though it gets overwhelmingly pause menu heavy. but if you're okay with games that have weird and rough combat and can enjoy them for weird aesthetics and occasionally, in legend's case, fun shorter form storytelling, they're kinda neat

mostly i'd say they compare badly to the other longer running square enix franchises being like. ff (weird and experimental but usually polished), dq (more simple and traditional so it's pretty easy to guess what you're in for), kh (leans more on the action game side in a way that flows better and has a pretty consistent creative and design identity), and SaGa (weird and experimental but usually in ways that are more cohesive than mana). if you're talking action rpgs from other studios that have a co-op angle tales tends to beat it out in functionality and flow too. mana is for people who can truly accept the weird jank into their hearts

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 15, 2024

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

credburn posted:

I mean most of them are better than secrets but I'd say Legend is the only one worth spending too much time on.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Rascyc posted:

Yeah I was gonna ask where did this belief start that it was a one and the rest suck? I think the FFA remake got a lukewarm reception and we meme about SD3's menus but other than that I thought it was universally liked.

idk I get the feeling that people don't think any of the games hold up, and it definitely feels like Mana's heyday was solely around Secret and when Trials never made it over the series never regained what little momentum it had. Legends is beloved now, but I distinctly remember others hating it with all their being back in the day. I've always liked nearly every title but it's always felt like I've had to justify my appreciation just a little too hard over the years, and the random experimentation in the PS2 era and subsequent decade break seemed to confirm to me that people didn't care for the games all that much.

They're all a little weird in terms of how they play, and they change themselves up for nearly every entry so it never feels like there was a solid core being developed, except for Secret -> Trials, and now the Trials remake -> Visions. Also had to laugh when I got really excited about the initial Visions trailer and looked up a random selection of streamers looking at E3, and 90% of the time the initial reaction was "oh it's a Genshin sequel who cares".

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

lmao, not E3, whatever the hell event that was.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i can see what people like in secret and og trials but the combat in them is kind of unignorable to me. it's not even that i inherently hate the idea of action combat based around charge meters, i played the entire king's field and shadow tower series and even found evergrace to be less annoying with it. secret and trials are just insanely slow and tie too much to constant menu repetition while not particularly letting you do anything interesting with the action side of the fighting. and they don't exactly stand above the others in storytelling so it's always just been confusing to me why they get held up. i kinda feel the same way about how star ocean 2 gets talked up as The Good One and star ocean 3 gets talked down as The Downfall

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I think they should have played up the beat-em-up angle that Legends sorta tried because the old games definitely have a cadence to their combat that just feels comfortable with me in a way that clearing out a screen in an old beat-em-up does. I think it was Fight'n'rage or whatever that game was called that had some enemies explode into a pile of bones like some Secret of Mana enemies and suddenly my neurons started activating.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
legend is weird cause i almost get what it's going for but in practice it ends up being a really bad version of tales of rebirth. i wish the remaster actually made meaningful changes to the pace and feedback of combat rather than uh, just adding the option to turn it off

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

At the very least letting you turn it off alleviates my one big complaint back in the day, that you couldn't run from encounters. Or maybe there was a skill for that I never learned. The skill system is weird too.

Immaculate art and music though. If nothing else that's the throughline for the series.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Rascyc posted:

Huh, I'm surprised to discover they're not so hated? Personally I've only played Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3 (the old fan translated one) and whatever one was on the PS2 that was all about physics. I didn't like SD3, the physics one was bad, and I think I'd just heard from others that they're all equally bad in some way, never recapturing the magic Secret had.

I guess I'm wrong, though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
secret didnt have any magic other than what it meant to the people who liked it

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah a lot of Secret of Mana's appeal was just being a co-op action RPG on the Super Nintendo.

Trials/Seiken Densetsu 3 pretty much supplanted it completely when the first fan translations came out.

And I'm gonna be real with you, Secret of Evermore might've been wack but it had oodles more personality and weirdness than SoM.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Yeah, I dunno. Outside of the Trials remake I don't think it'd be a hot take to say the entire Mana franchise is filled with creatively wonderful but mechanically flawed games. Some entries like Children, Heroes, and Dawn are more or less outright bad. Others like Sword and Legend are at least innocuous for the most part and just have the curse of being very shallow games that somehow get layers upon layers of utterly pointless subsystems. And the early entries are just Old games with some weird quirks that have aged terribly like Secret's actively detrimental weapon charging and spell leveling or SD3's horrible habit of punishing you with fullscreen counters for using your fun toys. There's things to admire in most of the games, especially the art and music direction, but good lord it took until Trials remake to create one where I don't really have to introduce to folks with any caveats for the gameplay side of things.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Evermore was dope when I was 8 or 9.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Legend of Mana has its own magic. It's not trying to be more Secret of Mana, it's trying - and succeeding - at creating an explorable, player-driven RPG with appealing aesthetics and lots of depth to reward the players who look for it.

Lots of people were down on it when it came out, since it didn't drag you through a linear plot like a lot of the most famous PS1 RPGs did. (And the combat isn't a high point, to be honest.) I almost didn't get it for that reason. I spent my paltry gaming budget on Legend of Dragoon instead.

Someone set up LoM at a kiosk at Gamestop when I was there later, and the graphics and music captured my attention. I wanted to see and hear more of this game, and even if the other aspects sucked, I'd still want to at least see what they were trying to do. So I cobbled together more money through chores and selling things, and bought LoM.

What I wasn't expecting is how much I'd come to care about the characters. Everyone in the game had something going on, and it's fascinating to see how everyone's story develops. And the game doesn't spoon feed it to you either; you really need to explore the world to see how things go, and in doing so you open up more stories and more explorable areas.

It's my favorite game ever, to this day. Not even gonna pretend to be objective about it.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Secret plays the best because it doesn't slow your movement to a crawl any time enemies are around. Also you don't need to charge all the time, just hitting the button at 100% is enough for most of the game. :cheers:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Runa posted:

And I'm gonna be real with you, Secret of Evermore might've been wack but it had oodles more personality and weirdness than SoM.

I know this comes up all the time, but I like the skeleton that requires you to spend more of a trade item if you named yourself "gently caress".

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I honestly forgot Evermore existed when I made my post, oops!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Evermore is jank beyond jank, but it has a quirky charm all its own that makes me still love it even though it's a very flawed game.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Evermore's got a top tier dog party member for sure

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Red Red Blue posted:

Evermore's got a top tier dog party member for sure

It's got like 15 of them.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Yeah if you want to play a mana game on the SNES go for evermore.

It's the most unlike the others and there really is no other game like it. I won't call it a good game but it is absolutely a memorable one.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The reason secret of mana is so beloved is because of the soundtrack and it's goofy whimsical vibes

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The reason it's so beloved is because people played it when they were 8.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Clarste posted:

The reason it's so beloved is because people played it when they were 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Sure, but not Secret of Mana.