Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

zoux posted:

I know that, especially in baseball, no game is over until it's over, but what's your personal "this poo poo is loving over, I'm turning off the game" metric?

5 run deficit. Maybe 4 if it's like the 8th inning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

mcmagic posted:

You can't really count games vs the Marlins. It's a AA team. He's been pretty bad so far.

Wait a second, aren’t you a Yankees fan? I feel like you hate them, so I might have you confused with another poster.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

lol

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

DeepDickPizza posted:

EDIT: really though, my metric is just “do I have other poo poo to do?” I’ll watch a lovely game to the end if I’m just sitting around.

Yeah pretty much this. Like yesterday it was 82 and sunny out and I was just hanging out in the backyard smoking: even if the Cubs had been down by 10 I'm still keeping the game on. If it's some late night weekday game though and they're down by 4-5 I'm gonna turn that poo poo off and do something productive.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://x.com/saladinowrld/status/1779616308553822384?s=46&t=EhzTvpa5Lh8bIAryRijIPQ

This is the morbid kind of funny

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
If the Astros are winning I'll probably watch to the end no matter what. If the Astros are losing to losing badly badly I'll more likely, but not always leave the game on as background and just go take care of chores or whatever. If the Astros are being blown the gently caress out I'll just let the mlb app update me as I take care of other stuff. If it's October I'll doom watch to the bitter end.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
there's literally no run deficit that I will turn off the game for because My Beautiful Boys can overcome anything. also there's no lead our bullpen can't gently caress up. wow, guess I better clear my schedule to watch all of every game!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

zoux posted:

I know that, especially in baseball, no game is over until it's over, but what's your personal "this poo poo is loving over, I'm turning off the game" metric?

2015/16 games I wouldn't dream of imagining the Jays game being over cause gently caress they could mash dongs.

2023/24 Blue Jays down by 4 lol see ya

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Captain Log posted:

Wait a second, aren’t you a Yankees fan? I feel like you hate them, so I might have you confused with another poster.

I have been higher on the Yankees this year than most other Yankee posters! My Gleyber Torres hate is well documented though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

there's literally no run deficit that I will turn off the game for because My Beautiful Boys can overcome anything. also there's no lead our bullpen can't gently caress up. wow, guess I better clear my schedule to watch all of every game!

If we get out to a big lead where the other team would have to make a historic comeback to win, I'll often turn it off because I've already been on the bad end of one history-making comeback against my team ('92 AFC wildcard) and I ain't watching another one.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I left a game early yesterday for the first time in probably 30 years. Dodgers were down 3 going into the 9th and the rain delay meant I had to bail in order to catch my train home. I didn’t miss anything worthwhile.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I once stuck it out through an hour-long rain delay after the 8th inning of a game that then went 15 innings. It was awesome. We left the park at about 3:00 in the morning.

But now we have the zombie runner to make that impossible, because if you like fun then why are you even into baseball?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I went to a Cubs/Angels game last year in Anaheim and left in the 6th because the Cubs were losing a bunch, I'd already seen Mike Trout both rob and then hit a HR so I figured I'd gotten my money's worth, and the park was a goddamn dump to the point I had a much better time going across the street to a brewery and commiserating with some other dejected Cubs fans.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1779628516591431688

Taiwanese super tridents skewing the purity of the game

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1779628516591431688

Taiwanese super tridents skewing the purity of the game

lmao at picking by far the coolest HR prop to rag on.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure you can buy a plastic trident on Amazon

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

In the lab cooking up a laundry cart so audacious it's worth 1.5 bWAR

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
The props are fine, although something like the Cubs flopping around a waffle iron was way funnier than most of the specially produced props. But I’ll take a samurai helmet ten times out of ten over the Spider-man thwip the current crop of unimaginative Marvel adult Cubs losers are doing.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm very glad the Orioles went back to the dong bong Homer hose.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Inspector_666 posted:

lmao at picking by far the coolest HR prop to rag on.

The trident is cool, but his larger point isn't really wrong, some of the homer celebrations teams have used over the past few years have felt really forced.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
I still miss Atlanta's Big Hat

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Welcome to the SA baseball thread

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I laughed a whole lot at the Rockies guy putting on his ski goggle prop to celebrate his home run with literally none of his teammates because they were still down by 8 and everybody on that team is completely miserable

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Like any proper baseball fan I have detested the Yankees all of my life, for the very sound reason that they are evil. But I don't hate them half as much as mcmagic does.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Phillies have home game against Rockies and ChiSox

They're going to go 0-6

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/1779938236162330951

They're currently trying to teach him how to play first base, which I understand is really easy. Then it's so long to Jon Singleton and idk what the hell they do with Abreu. At least Espada's dropped him to 8th in the order, Dusty had him batting middle of the order year round.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

zoux posted:

They're currently trying to teach him how to play first base, which I understand is really easy.

It's incredibly hard

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Anything worth doing is.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

MrMidnight posted:

Welcome to the SA baseball thread

It’s just confusing, because I didn’t want to step on somebodies gimmick. But I swear to God, I truly didn’t think this thread had a Yankees fan.

DeepDickPizza posted:

The props are fine, although something like the Cubs flopping around a waffle iron was way funnier than most of the specially produced props. But I’ll take a samurai helmet ten times out of ten over the Spider-man thwip the current crop of unimaginative Marvel adult Cubs losers are doing.

The samurai helmet was so loving awesome.

It was originally a cheap toy bought during the WBC. But it kept falling apart. They wanted to get a real one, but found out there are something like fifty people alive who can make one and it can take years.

Then a craftsman found out it was for Ohtani, and got a real one done immediately.

I’m sad it’s gone.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/1779938236162330951

They're currently trying to teach him how to play first base, which I understand is really easy. Then it's so long to Jon Singleton and idk what the hell they do with Abreu. At least Espada's dropped him to 8th in the order, Dusty had him batting middle of the order year round.

They're also trying to teach him not to strike out, his K rate would be bad in MLB, in AAA it's atrocious. 24 K in 70 PA

Captain Log posted:

It’s just confusing, because I didn’t want to step on somebodies gimmick. But I swear to God, I truly didn’t think this thread had a Yankees fan.

Hating the Yankees but being voraciously defensive of them is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to his gimmick

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intruder posted:

They're also trying to teach him not to strike out, his K rate would be bad in MLB, in AAA it's atrocious. 24 K in 70 PA

Still an improvement over what we got. Abreu has a 28% K rate, Singleton 25. Joey Cooks at least elevates the ball and hits it hard as hell.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 15, 2024

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
The year of the TJ comes for all, whether electric hard throwing righty with a wipeout slider or junky leftball thrower who's there to eat innings.

https://twitter.com/Albany_Herald/status/1779560528953872603

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://twitter.com/bsp_13/status/1779898684693725339

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Intruder posted:

I know he wouldn't but if he put up that OPS he could strike out every at bat that he didn't get a hit and I wouldn't give a gently caress

Like yes I want him to be better and if it takes time to season him, fine, but our 1B situation right now is shocking

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

fast cars loose anus posted:

I know he wouldn't but if he put up that OPS he could strike out every at bat that he didn't get a hit and I wouldn't give a gently caress

Like yes I want him to be better and if it takes time to season him, fine, but our 1B situation right now is shocking

Yeah and despite that we've got the second best OPS+ in the league, only one point behind the Brewers.

Meanwhile
https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/1779959068431454551

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/AndrewMarchand/status/1779958488900235667

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sad. The end of an era.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/1779962415456645137

lol "Have you tried widening your stance. No wider. Wiiiiider. Just about there, Let's get six more inches"

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

zoux posted:

In the lab cooking up a trash can so audacious it's worth a WS ring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/1779962415456645137

lol "Have you tried widening your stance. No wider. Wiiiiider. Just about there, Let's get six more inches"

Just a vast swath of cheating knowledge transfer taking place.