Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Tim Thomas posted:

come to think of it - was doom the first legit fps where there was still a point to using most of your weapons after finding new ones

Depends on whether you consider Ultima Underworld to be a legit FPS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Although it starts playing fast and loose with genre definitions and timescales, if you're at all interested or invested in "old shooters", I'd class the original Halo trilogy as required reading.

There are ups and downs, but that's an extremely solid trilogy of campaigns built on some great fundamental mechanics, with a now classic roster of weaponry, some fun AI and physics things going on, and a really grand scale. I'd stay clear of any anniversary graphics, personally. It's better to accept them in their entirety as classic shooters, right down to those nice chunky visuals.

Also the multiplayer is still great. I love firing up some Halo 1 & 2 multiplayer. If you want to get a sense of what an early 2000's, classic multiplayer experience looked like, that's probably the most active way you can do it in 2024 outside of Counter-Strike.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I didn't like how squishy you were in selaco but maybe I should try it again

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

In Training posted:

I didn't like how squishy you were in selaco but maybe I should try it again

Yeah I complained about one of the earlier demos where the level design and movement mechanics seemed to encourage you to zoom through the levels but the game was extremely unforgiving if you played it that way

Wolfenstein 2: TNC did a good job putting health and armor pickups everywhere so you could crouch slide into them as you bounced through the level like a pinball (people still played it like a cover shooter though, which ironically was extremely unforgiving)

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Gmanlives reviewed Phantom Fury

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIX0saoKrKc

It certainly seems to be a first person shooter that will come out and then maybe get played by a few people and then be forgotten.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I saw a lot of promise in the demo despite the actual shooting being extremely anemic. The level design was fun but the guns just felt weak and the enemies were spongy. I’ll consider buying it, depends on how much they charge.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sounds like Civvie's video holds up then

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Didn't the Cultic dev say he'd played an updated build and that it was vastly improved? I'd normally take such comments with a pinch of salt but Cultic slaps extremely hard and their opinion carries more weight

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Didn't the Cultic dev say he'd played an updated build and that it was vastly improved? I'd normally take such comments with a pinch of salt but Cultic slaps extremely hard and their opinion carries more weight
Vast improvement from that demo still doesn't necessarily mean a good end result.

I'm watching a streamer play it now. Graphics are very nice, but performance seems wonky and the game code side of things undercooked. So, the Slipgate Usual, then.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

You know what's weird?

Knowing the ins and outs of Quake shareware and then, years later, getting to play the full version. And then you decide, decades after that, to actually try the expansions.

Man oh man, I'm really enjoying Scourge of Armagon, and I keep thinking "this has all been here the whole time?!" I have no idea why I never played it or the other one, and yet I played Shrak of all things which still grosses me out to think about. :barf:

I'm very glad SoA isn't Shrak. Is the other add-on as good? Not talking about the new add-on made for the HD remaster of Quake, but the one that came after Scourge?

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 22, 2024

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Deakul posted:

Gmanlives reviewed Phantom Fury

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIX0saoKrKc

It certainly seems to be a first person shooter that will come out and then maybe get played by a few people and then be forgotten.

If you don't want to give a lovely reactionary views, Jarek did one as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCTLMV9JmZ8

He's pretty negative on it.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You know what's weird?

Knowing the ins and outs of Quake shareware and then, years later, getting to play the full version. And then you decide, decades after that, to actually try the expansions.

Man oh man, I'm really enjoying Scourge of Armagon, and I keep thinking "this has all been here the whole time?!" I have no idea why I never played it or the other one, and yet I played Shrak of all things which still grosses me out to think about. :barf:

I'm very glad SoA isn't Shrak. Is the other add-on as good? Not talking about the new add-on made for the HD remaster of Quake, but the one that came after Scourge?

Dissolution of Eternity (1997) isn't quite as good as Scourge of Armagon, but i did enjoy playing it a couple of years ago. Then again, I also enjoyed playing Malice, so maybe I just love Quake.

The Machine Games expansions, Dimension of the Past (2016) and Dimension of the Machine (2021) are both great as well. Note that DOTP is much more 90s Quake styled, whereas DOTM has much more complex level designs that are more like modern fan-made Quake levels.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

Scourge of Armagon

Don't miss out on the last secret level, The Edge of Oblivion. It's absolute chaos and was one of my high points when I played through the complete pack a few months ago.

I was lukewarm on the original expansions, but both Machine Games expansions are considerably better.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Dissolution of Eternity is pretty decent. Not as good as SoA, but it's worth a playthrough if you've been enjoying everything else.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
All the ogres in Shrak

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

All the ogres in Shrak

get out of my twenty polygon swamp!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb_oJqXLfTc

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Been meaning to play Voyager Elite Force for years, since I remember PC Gamer loved it back in the day. GoG ports work good on Win10? Or are there source ports?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah I played it a couple months ago and I think besides adding dgvoodoo it was fine

E: I don't know what I'm thinking, I know I did something but dg is for directx so it wasn't that

site fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 22, 2024

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Escape Goat posted:

Been meaning to play Voyager Elite Force for years, since I remember PC Gamer loved it back in the day. GoG ports work good on Win10? Or are there source ports?

GoG ports work great.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

GOG port works great without having to do anything yourself. I need to go back to it at some point. I’ve watched almost no Voyager so it’s kind of a weird experience for me.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Casimir Radon posted:

GOG port works great without having to do anything yourself. I need to go back to it at some point. I’ve watched almost no Voyager so it’s kind of a weird experience for me.

The game focuses on the Hazard Team to the point that the you barely need any knowledge of Voyager beyond the basic premise. I don't even recall the core cast of the show having much to do.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

At the time the game came out my teenage self thought thought Star Trek was the dorkiest IP on earth, and wasn't interested even though I loved Id/Raven games. Years later a girlfriend got me into Star Trek (Voyager particularly) and since then I've realized I was absolutely correct.

... but it's so much fun :sax:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Since it's been discussed in this thread before, it sounds like El Paso Elsewhere is being made into an actual film and LaKeith Stanfield is in talks to star in it:

https://www.pcgamer.com/movies-tv/e...e-into-a-movie/

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I'm a bitter rear end bitch but man sometimes it's so so so frustrating to see aggressive mediocrity get rewarded.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Escape Goat posted:

If you want proper widescreen, go here for EF1 and here for EF2.

Also, for EF2, quickly punch com_maxfps 80 into the console at some point. This slightly lowers the default FPS cap, fixing zero-gravity areas.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I'm a bitter rear end bitch but man sometimes it's so so so frustrating to see aggressive mediocrity get rewarded.

It seems really weird, right? Like it's got less than a thousand reviews on Steam, and it looks like there are a total of four(?) articles about it on PC Gamer. I don't get it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Sometimes it clicks with the right people

And besides the film would have to try drat hard to be worse than the Max Payne movie

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It seems really weird, right? Like it's got less than a thousand reviews on Steam, and it looks like there are a total of four(?) articles about it on PC Gamer. I don't get it.

Someone involved with the development of the game is either already rich or knows somebody who is and just got a deal going. Probably not much more to it than that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also, if you haven't seen the Max Payne movie its hard to explain how terribly 2/5 it is. It squanders not only Max Payne, but it squanders the type of movie it wanted to force Max Payne. It's like if somebody ground up filet mignon to make hamburger meat and then decided to not even cook the patties.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

In Training posted:

Someone involved with the development of the game is either already rich or knows somebody who is and just got a deal going. Probably not much more to it than that.

Yeah, Xalavier works with a lot of people on his and others' games. I'd guess he had the right contact with someone he worked with previously (or someone he just knew) and the stars aligned. My 100% complete guess at it would be DUSK Dave getting him a contact or a studio contacting Xalavier through him thanks to Iron Lung driving hype for an indie game movie.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
There's definitely a run on videogame adaptations after stuff like Sonic/Mario and TLoU because Hollywood is allergic to creativity. While the demo, and assuredly full version, of El Paso Elsewhere was exceedingly blah for most people with a niche appreciation for retroshooter mechanics, it definitely had a style to it, and attracted a lot of surface-level appreciation. Plus, "film noir meets Blade" is an easy high-concept pitch.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i bet i'll like it

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

Also, if you haven't seen the Max Payne movie its hard to explain how terribly 2/5 it is. It squanders not only Max Payne, but it squanders the type of movie it wanted to force Max Payne. It's like if somebody ground up filet mignon to make hamburger meat and then decided to not even cook the patties.

It's uniquely horrible in my video game films collection. Dour and charmless, but without any of the pulpy histrionics of the actual game. It doesn't even have the balls to get bombastic and fly off the tracks like the Resident Evil films.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It's uniquely horrible in my video game films collection. Dour and charmless, but without any of the pulpy histrionics of the actual game. It doesn't even have the balls to get bombastic and fly off the tracks like the Resident Evil films.

Yep. If you're going to refuse to do what made the property work, at least do something with the movie. Its Bartleby the Scrivener of films, it doesn't want to do anything.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Tim Thomas posted:

come to think of it - was doom the first legit fps where there was still a point to using most of your weapons after finding new ones

Pros all use the machine gun to save ammo over the Gatling in Wolfenstein :colbert:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Barudak posted:

Yep. If you're going to refuse to do what made the property work, at least do something with the movie. Its Bartleby the Scrivener of films, it doesn't want to do anything.

The worst thing about it, the absolute worst, is that it STARTS with Wahlberg doing gravelly narration over some slomo footage from way later on in the narrative and you think "Oh, ok, maybe they DO get what the point of Max Payne is" and then it fucks it all into a bin right after.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Hard Boiled is the real Max Payne movie imo

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

FPS twitter gave me this game, no idea of who is doing it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zc1vSjPKp0

Looks nice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/Civvie11/status/1782484665992986729?t=Hdeo5GZpr8_VtKHvOvNTWA&s=19

Next Civvie video will be AvP (1999) :woop: