Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

How are we halving frame rates on 20 year old paper cutout game remakes. That's hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The times hits are easy but super block is tough. Was a one frame window at 60fps I think.

So is it still a one frame window now or is game logic separate from graphics and it is still 1/60th of a second.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Alan_Shore posted:

How are we halving frame rates on 20 year old paper cutout game remakes. That's hilarious

From greatly increased graphical fidelity and detail

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
My guess on why it's 30 FPS is because it's running on Oragami King's engine, which also ran at 30 FPS.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Some people just don't have eyes

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

The times hits are easy but super block is tough. Was a one frame window at 60fps I think.

So is it still a one frame window now or is game logic separate from graphics and it is still 1/60th of a second.

I'm sure they've adjusted the timing on the super block to account for the framerate

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm sure it looks good, just blows my mind that Mario Odyssey, surely a much more intense game, is locked at 60fps (with scaling fuckery sure). Hopefully 30fps doesn't make a difference but Switch 2 can't get here soon enough

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

seems like they might make the vivian subplot more accurate to the original jp

https://twitter.com/Dededaio2/status/1783555566641578374

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

seems like they might make the vivian subplot more accurate to the original jp

https://twitter.com/Dededaio2/status/1783555566641578374

Huuuh. Yeah, that's not even subtle.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly the RELATION WITHHELD is a decent way of getting across the intent without having beldam directly call her a man in a way thatd be a little heavy for a kids game in 2024.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm sure it looks good, just blows my mind that Mario Odyssey, surely a much more intense game, is locked at 60fps (with scaling fuckery sure). Hopefully 30fps doesn't make a difference but Switch 2 can't get here soon enough

Agreed, it looks shinier and more polished than the original but plenty of better looking switch games run higher than 30fps

Of course, lots of good looking games also run quite poorly on the switch but I usually have higher expectations from first party stuff. I agree that it's likely the aging hardware and all, so it probably can't be helped much

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah going with one of the modern forms of transphobia where the person just kind of awkwardly refuses to refer to gender at all and thinks they're getting away with it is a really good choice.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

So, you're saying the GameCube was incredibly overpowered for the resolution it was running at?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

kill all framerate freaks

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

apparently the main battle theme now gets remixed depending on where you are in the game, like in Origami King. dope

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Augus posted:

apparently the main battle theme now gets remixed depending on where you are in the game, like in Origami King. dope

That will really keep it from wearing itself out

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

https://twitter.com/mcsquiddies/status/1783581349682770025

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
they halved the framerate because of woke

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

lmao hell yeah

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Regular Wario posted:

The Woke Left (half the frames out)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Yeah going with one of the modern forms of transphobia where the person just kind of awkwardly refuses to refer to gender at all and thinks they're getting away with it is a really good choice.

it feels just like real life, they're doing so well with it

Johnny Joestar fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 26, 2024

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I don’t really want to spoil thousand year door for myself because I enjoyed Mario rpg so much, so is there a spoiler free way to explain what the deal is? It seems like there’s some sort of side plot involving the least graceful handling of transgender issues since Mario 2? Or maybe less graceful than Mario 2?

Either way it seems like I should be able to have an hd mother 3 remake.

Edit: which reminds me that I was like “oh yeah I’m going to beat BotW and Mother 3 before April is over “ and nope.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

otter posted:

I don’t really want to spoil thousand year door for myself because I enjoyed Mario rpg so much, so is there a spoiler free way to explain what the deal is? It seems like there’s some sort of side plot involving the least graceful handling of transgender issues since Mario 2? Or maybe less graceful than Mario 2?

It's a really great game.

The Japanese version had maybe 5 lines across the entire game suggesting one of your party members was trans. It was handled fine, but also was not the focus of her story at all. The NA localization back on gamecube changed those lines to remove the suggestion, it looks like the re-translation on switch is adding it back in. If trans stuff wasn't a culture war issue right now nobody would care, it's an incredibly minor aspect of the game.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Snake Maze posted:

It's a really great game.

The Japanese version had maybe 5 lines across the entire game suggesting one of your party members was trans. It was handled fine, but also was not the focus of her story at all. The NA localization back on gamecube changed those lines to remove the suggestion, it looks like the re-translation on switch is adding it back in. If trans stuff wasn't a culture war issue right now nobody would care, it's an incredibly minor aspect of the game.

I'm howling because there's currently another batshit stupid culture war about accurate translations in games. The fact that the more accurate translation is working in transgender specifics is going to cause some people to stroke out.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's pretty much been a known thing ever since the game first came out so it's funny to see it get officially recognized now in an english translation

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

to fully explain without any real spoilers:

Vivian is a party member in Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. In the English version, her and her sisters call themselves the 'three shadow sirens' (referring to the sirens of greek mythology). In the JP version, Vivian calls them the 'three shadow beauties,' but one of her sisters protests that they can't all be beauties, because Vivian is a boy. Vivian says she is a girl. Her sisters then call her stupid. Later on in the JP version, Vivian is like, 'you see me as a girl, right mario' and mario nods. That's about the extent of it. In the English version, it was just sort of turned into her sisters generically bullying her.

The only real questionable bit of it is that Goombella (another party member) also refers to her as 'a girl... i think.' but this seems more like a questionable joke about Goombella's unfamiliarity with the situation than any sort of like, malicious thing, and is a reasonable enough thing to tweak in a remake/new translation.

its not a frontier of trans representation but theres nothing really wrong with it, its pretty harmless and its good to see it reintroduced.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Regular Wario posted:

i don't think they did

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Chieves posted:

I'm howling because there's currently another batshit stupid culture war about accurate translations in games. The fact that the more accurate translation is working in transgender specifics is going to cause some people to stroke out.

I hope whatever intentional bad faith garbage argument those jokers settle on going with is not reposted in the Nintendo Switch thread, since it holds no value or interest to any true enjoyer of games :)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Vivian was sort of a joke (the only pretty shadow siren is the one who wasn't born a siren, the others are hags) but only so much as everyone in a game titled Paper Mario is a joke character. Either way there was no ambiguity in the original over her being a transgirl so this is basically going to expose all the Paper Mario frauds.

mycot fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 26, 2024

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

symbolic posted:

i don't think they did

its true, miyamoto told me

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Electric Phantasm posted:

They condensed the quick travel pipes into one room and added a couple more gently caress yeah

There's been a couple of level design tweaks noticed by some people. Additional pipes and such in some places such as the first dungeon. I guess it'll mildly sand down some of the backtracking.

One big change is that you now have an inventory size of 15 instead of 10. Hello there, Bug Fables.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Regular Wario posted:

its true, miyamoto told me

oh alright my mistake Wario

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
vivians not like the poster child for trans rep or anything but it was heartening to me to find out that element existed at all as a kid so im glad to see it being formalized for the english release

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

symbolic posted:

oh alright my mistake Wario

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

NINTENDO went WOKE??? Reaction video!!! (6h37m)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Regular Wario posted:

yep 😔

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
devising a man in the middle attack to get endless ocean to unlock early so i can play it

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

Endorph posted:

The only real questionable bit of it is that Goombella (another party member) also refers to her as 'a girl... i think.' but this seems more like a questionable joke about Goombella's unfamiliarity with the situation than any sort of like, malicious thing, and is a reasonable enough thing to tweak in a remake/new translation.

One thing that's always bugged me was that even during the ending Goombella still hesitates to call Vivian a girl (more accurately she writes "sisters(?)" when referring to the sirens), and this is after they've been hanging out for a while and are presumably supposed to be friends! I hope that part gets reworked too, but I guess we'll see.

At least no matter how much is/isn't changed we'll always still have the opportunity to beat Beldam with hammers

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
can someone buy another crabs treasure and tell me if it runs ok on switch

thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

60 fps Paper Mario is reserved for the Switch 2.