Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

season 2 set up this autistic kid character very early on but players hated her so she just gets randomly brutally killed for no reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Dongicus posted:

season 2 set up this autistic kid character very early on but players hated her so she just gets randomly brutally killed for no reason

you get the choice to save her and then five minutes later she dies even more gruesomely lol i was so mad

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i think they expected you to cheer on the death of the hated autistic child but i was actually mortified

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

sam and max season 3 was good though

telltale was good at doing actual point & click adventure games and then they just made expensive but lousy visual novels

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

then they just made expensive but lousy visual novels

Monies. Classic point-and-click adventure is about as niche as a genre can get. Hard to grow a company around a style of game that has fewer fans than a clumsy carpenter's got fingers.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i think they expected you to cheer on the death of the hated autistic child but i was actually mortified

horrible muck

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Skippy McPants posted:

Monies. Classic point-and-click adventure is about as niche as a genre can get. Hard to grow a company around a style of game that has fewer fans than a clumsy carpenter's got fingers.
point and click adventures still get made and sold all the time, it's no different than, like, strategy RPGs

telltale was mostly experimenting with The Walking Dead but once it won the Game of the Year Gaming Award (lol) it changed their entire direction and that's when they started buying as many film/TV licenses as they could. they could have still done P&C adventures, they just chose to keep making what they thought was 'prestige gaming'

also, like. these companies gently caress themselves over by going big and mega expanding, they set up their own bubble to burst. it's not like every game studio is publicly traded or owned by a public publisher, they could stick to their niche if they wanted. telltale's problem was thinking they had created a new market and going all-in on it, only to experience diminishing returns because not everyone wants to play Guardians of the Galaxy CYOA without any of the celebrity likenesses, or Minecraft Story Mode with Patton Oswalt

minecraft story mode had so little gameplay that it was easily converted into an interactive Netflix CYOA series, and no one played it there either

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 3, 2024

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Wasn't this also the case for a Mass Effect DLC?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

boss, they say the point & click game is over. we gotta pivot to something with more customers like licensed property visual novels, they're like point & click games except we pay someone else for the privilege of making them!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Sydin posted:

Wasn't this also the case for a Mass Effect DLC?

No that one you have a doctor using his brother's 'more alien than literal aliens' mind by torturing him to make him a super AI? And then you decide to free the autistic brother or give him the 'hell yeah keep torturing your bro'.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

you get the choice to save her and then five minutes later she dies even more gruesomely lol i was so mad

i think that was when i was done with telltale

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the very first episode of TT TWD season 3 ends with a small child getting brutally killed for shock value and then i never played the rest of the season

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

its such a shame because the first episode of wolf amogus is really good imo and the rest of it is just ok

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i think the final season of TWD involves even more child death i dont know what the writers deal was lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

theres a dialog branch where someone suggests that she might be better off dead and clementine sort of looks like shes been met with an uncomfortable but undeniable fact

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like the end of twd s2 where kenny is meant to be shown as unstable and deranged because he gets mad at a lady when she says she left a baby to die, and then if you side with her she shows you that she left the baby alone in an unlocked car in the middle of nowhere in a zombie apocalypse, and youre clearly meant to go 'ah, this was a clever ruse to make kenny reveal his dangerous side' and not 'what the gently caress is wrong with you why did you risk a baby's life to prove some petty point'

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

they tried so hard to make kenny crazy and angry but he's more like frank grimes in the simpsons and is surrounded by the dumbest motherfuckers alive

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like kennys insane in twd s2 but hes also the only character acting with any degree of sense or logic given the circumstances and actually taking initiative so of course i side with him

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

and then he dies in a car accident at the beginning of season 3 lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kenny: i think we should not get killed by zombies
everyone: WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU
kenny: what if we took this car to keep from getting killed by zombies
everyone: WHERE WERE YOU ON JANUARY 6TH

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the girl who left the baby in the car hangs herself at the start of season 3

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

there's one character in TWD i cant remember his name but he was built up to be a big deal and clementine's new protector and his dumbass falls through thin ice and he drowns. no one cares

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the girl who left the baby in the car hangs herself at the start of season 3
she cant live in a world with no more babies to leave in cars

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

once you see past the smoke and mirrors and realize your choices definitely do not actually matter, very few telltale stories had the chops to stand on their own

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I didn't even make it through the first walking dead game. Just looking at the steam achievements made it obvious the same plot beats were going to happen no matter what.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

season 1 is better at presenting an illusion of choice than the other seasons which give you a choice and then just immediately undermine it a few minutes later. tell tale got increasingly lazier with later games and didnt even bother to try and pretend things mattered or hell even write a compelling story

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

my only memory of the first game is some guy yelling at me about not saving his kid because his kid created a situation where i could only save one person so i saved the one that didn't create it.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

tales from the borderlands, wolf among us and batman season 2 are good

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Zore posted:

No that one you have a doctor using his brother's 'more alien than literal aliens' mind by torturing him to make him a super AI? And then you decide to free the autistic brother or give him the 'hell yeah keep torturing your bro'.

lol right, thanks bioware

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i have the back to the future game but i never got very far in it

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the character of lily was supposed to be a minor but important character in the comics that ended up accidentally killing Rick's wife and baby daughter and then she kills the governor once she realizes what happened. But it had to be retconned because Kirkman was writing a book or comic prequel explaining the origins of the same character so lily is a character that looks like that character but is different and also in the final season where i assume she kills children

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Season 2 also has Nick who looks like they'll be a big character, but can get killed in the second episode because they kill a member of another group. Since he can die all his scenes after are cuts away to him with a generic line, until he disappears and you find him dead in a fence with no explanation.

But yeah Season 2 is almost funny because Clem is a 10 year old who becomes the leader of a group of people because everyone else in the group is that incompetent.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

lol killed by a fence smh

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the random group of evil russians you encounter in season 2 that you have a shoot out with despite never meeting them before

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

rodbeard posted:

I didn't even make it through the first walking dead game. Just looking at the steam achievements made it obvious the same plot beats were going to happen no matter what.

While there are plenty of railroaded choices the relationship with some of the characters (notably Kenny) can differ pretty dramatically even though the same basic plot points are hit. That kind of thing only works when the writing is strong enough though.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

it cannot be overstated just how stupid the cast of season 2 is that a 10 year child is able to easily outwit them repeatedly and becomes their leader

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 3, 2024

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The Wolf among us and the borderlands telltale games were good IMO.

Like the borderlands one made me care about borderlands characters. Like not just the new ones but some of the ones from the games turn out to be kind of fun if not written by the gearbox writers. I cared about Scooter for god's sake!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The Wolf among us and the borderlands telltale games were good IMO.

Like the borderlands one made me care about borderlands characters. Like not just the new ones but some of the ones from the games turn out to be kind of fun if not written by the gearbox writers. I cared about Scooter for god's sake!

thats right

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

It's so funny that gearbox saw people like those characters and immedietly poo poo out DLC for Borderlands 2 where they appeared with 0 of the charm and sucked rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Ahahah, just remembered they dummied out shooting Mike in S2 of the Walking Dead except the PS3 version.