Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Everybody is banished to the Call of Duty mines forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Angryhead posted:

https://www.polygon.com/24151045/microsoft-xbox-studio-closures-tango-gameworks-arkane-austin-redfall

Not directly "early FPS" - maybe Arkane's earlier work? - but those fuckers are making me even fear for id...
Just terrible all around in any case.

Killing id would be greeted only somewhat more warmly than Microsoft announcing they had murdered Santa Claus. It’s one of the oldest and most storied development studios in existence. They have until at least 2026.

God, I hate Microsoft.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Guillermus posted:

I like Rage 2's combat more than Doom Eternal and I say this as a positive thing. Doom Eternal went too much into Dante Must Die difficulty for me. I really liked Doom Eternal and the DLCs but for me is a one and done forever.

I'd much rather have the ability to focus with one or two weapons at a time and have the nano powers on cooldown than constantly juggle weapons waiting for the grenades to cool down.

EDIT: So it's Microsoft's turn to be tone-deaf dummies now. It's like they saw what Sony just did and said "We can do better!"

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

In Training posted:

Doom 64 over Ultimate Doom is nutso but I respect the hutzpah

doom 1's maps are kind of trash outside of ep1 and parts of ep4. and the limited bestiary really hurts it

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Even mid ep 1 there's some tiresome levels. I do think there are a few gems in ep3, even if most of it is pretty bad.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
The Prey reboot, or whatever you want to call it, was legit one of the all time greats and them being treated like this after essentially being made to make a game against their strengths is so depressing.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Hasturtium posted:

Killing id would be greeted only somewhat more warmly than Microsoft announcing they had murdered Santa Claus. It’s one of the oldest and most storied development studios in existence. They have until at least 2026.

God, I hate Microsoft.

i doubt id is next on the chopping block, but machinegames are saddled with an indiana jones project that will probably be expected to do huge numbers, and im not sure the IP has that much pull with how mid the last few films were

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

E2 is my fave. I have a soft spot for it I guess.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Well this aged horribly
https://www.thegamer.com/phil-spencer-tango-gameworks-xbox-japan/

quote:

Xbox head Phil Spencer “can’t wait” to get to know Tango Gameworks after the Bethesda acquisition.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Turns out it was a threat

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Phil Spencer just thinks "can't wait" and "don't hold your breath" are euphemisms that basically mean the same thing.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
Phil Spector gets to know game studios the way Galactus gets to know a planet, or Brainiac gets to know civilizations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Or Rouge the Bat from Sonic gets to know other characters (by eating them whole)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i actually forgot microsoft has a perfect dark reboot in the pipeline, they've been working on that for 5 years and it's still very quiet

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hasturtium posted:

Phil Spector gets to know game studios the way Galactus gets to know a planet, or Brainiac gets to know civilizations.

Phil Spector, Herald of Microsoft

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

repiv posted:

i actually forgot microsoft has a perfect dark reboot in the pipeline, they've been working on that for 5 years and it's still very quiet
Everything that's floated out from behind the scenes about that over the years can be summed up in one word: boondoggle. If it ever gets released, it'll probably be by accident.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hasturtium posted:

on the one hand, his work with the Beatles was iconic. on the other hand, murder

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

This one sucks as bad as the Arkane one. I didn't love everything Tango put out but I really liked that they were just making single player stuff with a story and weren't trend chasing. Which I guess is why they got taken behind the woodshed and Old Yellered

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Arkane Austin was a ghost town after the post-Redfall brain drain. Even if they weren't shut down, they'd never be the same again.

I heard rumors earlier today about Tango bleeding staff, which'd track since Shinji Mikami left and when big-name creatives and other higher-ups leave studios, other people tend to follow or take their own cue to leave. (Id lost a good few veterans to Oculus when Carmack got fired, for example - just one chapter of their pre-2016 strife).

I wouldn't be shocked if both studios had been brain drained by circumstance beyond the point of capability.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
:capitalism:

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

The Kins posted:

(Id lost a good few veterans to Oculus when Carmack got fired, for example - just one chapter of their pre-2016 strife).

carmack was fired? in hindsight that doesn't surprise me, but i didn't know his departure was involuntary

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

UHD posted:

carmack was fired? in hindsight that doesn't surprise me, but i didn't know his departure was involuntary
I misremembered, sorry - he left, but got sued afterwards. Definitely not amicable.

People definitely followed him to Oculus, though, like the late Jan Paul "MrElusive" van Waveren, who was responsible for the Quake 3 bots and the OpenXR standard.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

UHD posted:

Amusingly, the departures of all four of id's cofounders were more-or-less involuntary.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i mean, wasn't he forced out because he was giving proprietary code to palmer lucky or some poo poo

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Happy to report that after the patch, DF Remastered music sounds pretty much perfect. Glorious iMUSE timing! The music really does do so many interesting things. It's nice to be able to pay attention to it instead of desperately trying to ignore how bad it sounded.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Amusingly, the departures of all four of id's cofounders were more-or-less involuntary.
The only pre-Bethesda Id co-owners I can think of who went out on their own terms were Jay Wilbur (was he a co-owner? I know he was a founding member), who left after Quake 1 shipped and has been at Epic since forever, and Kevin Cloud, who quietly retired back in December.

Tom Hall either quit, was fired, or a hazy mix of both simultaneously during the development of Doom.
John Romero was fired around the time of Quake 1's release.
Adrian Carmack quit in 2005 and took Id to court over attempts to force him to sell his share of the company.
John Carmack left during "Doom 4 1.0" development and got sued by Bethesda over allegations of taking code over to Oculus with him.

A pretty torrid history, really, but it's easy to forget since other studios have been way the gently caress more torrid in recent history.

Speaking of great games with torrid development cycles, noted indie developer Zane_Rocks_36 popped back up today to announce that Slayers X: Terminal Aftermath: Vengance of the Slayer will be coming to Playstation and Switch on May 15th... with a mysterious teaser at the end...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOr3g9TQyYM

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Started Quake 2 Remaster’s Call Of The Machine and hollllllly shiiiiiiiiiiit the remaster should’ve been centered around this.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Started Quake 2 Remaster’s Call Of The Machine and hollllllly shiiiiiiiiiiit the remaster should’ve been centered around this.

Its so good right????

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Automata 10 Pack posted:

It rather was, at least from a development standpoint. I kept having to adjust netcode to keep up with everything Machine Games were trying to do.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah CotM is really good and doesn't gently caress around. Over the q2 remaster was really really good and turned q2 into the game it deserved to be.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjJ2P63GAMI

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Hell yeah Capcom's AVP loving rules

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.
Ahh, baby's first Horde Mode there. I was usually a Marine loading up everything with prox grenades and setting the whole level on fire until 14 year old me lost his nerve. Or running backwards as the Predator lobbing out Plasma Pistol bombs at a wall of fragmenting xenomorphs. Good times.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
PO'ed Definitive Edition has been officially dated. It brings its trying-to-redeem-a-3DO-game stylings to the world next Thursday, on May 16.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X9Io9kOIvU

The Kins fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 9, 2024

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
PO'ed is so good. I hope they keep the convoluted control scheme.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

FrumpleOrz posted:

PO'ed is so good. I hope they keep the convoluted control scheme.

No we actually want people the play our games.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Rocket Pan posted:

It rather was, at least from a development standpoint. I kept having to adjust netcode to keep up with everything Machine Games were trying to do.
drat lol. But I mean like the game should’ve had giant neon arrows pointing at Call of the Machine saying “PLEASE PLAY THIS FIRST!!” Or rename the game to “Quake 2.5: Call of the Machine (and the rest of the Quake 2 campaigns w/er). Everything else is fine, and the Quake 64 inclusion was a great decision (I’m shocked that the campaign wasn’t dumbed down to accommodate the N64 controller, it’s quite hard!), but Call of the Machine is awesome to the point where the remaster ascends beyond a nostalgia trip and instead could be considered an essential play in the boomer shooter canon.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 10, 2024

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Hasturtium posted:

God, I hate Microsoft.

yeah that would be insane

like delisting Unreal or something

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Automata 10 Pack posted:

drat lol. But I mean like the game should’ve had giant neon arrows pointing at Call of the Machine saying “PLEASE PLAY THIS FIRST!!” Or rename the game to “Quake 2.5: Call of the Machine (and the rest of the Quake 2 campaigns w/er). Everything else is fine, and the Quake 64 inclusion was a great decision (I’m shocked that the campaign wasn’t dumbed down to accommodate the N64 controller, it’s quite hard!), but Call of the Machine is awesome to the point where the remaster ascends beyond a nostalgia trip and instead could be considered an essential play in the boomer shooter canon.

Both the Q1 and Q2 new episodes were the second most played episodes after the base game, so I think most people got the message that it was new. I even bumped the new episode up in the Q2 UI hoping it might help more, but it didn't seem to have much of an effect either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

victrix posted:

yeah that would be insane

like delisting Unreal or something

:argh: