Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Reality of My Surroundings
This thread is inspired from Cotisimo's thread about sage.

When I returned from college, around 92', I worked at a downtown bar that was a ballroom in the early 1920's. It was said that Al Capone and all the other gangsters used to frequent there on a regular basis. Well over time it had been opened as many resturaunts and even at one time was an old movie house.

I started there as a bartender, I worked Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri and Sat til 4:00 am. The weekends were packed, standing room only. The first part of the week we did not get much of a bar crowd. So I would sit there and watch Kung-Foo on USA network and smoke cigarettes. Since I am a big guy, the owner showed me where the gun was and they left. So every week night I was alone from 10:00 pm to 4:00 am.

My first encounter with the ghost came on a Monday morning around 2:30 am (I will never forget this). I was washing the last of the bar ware and starting my closing crap to get out at 4:00. The bar was one huge square and across from the dish well, where we did our dishes, was a corner mirror. On each wall was a mirror that met at the right at the corner. As I was washing everything I could see myself and what was behind me.

Now before I start this I have to say I was a skeptic of the paranormal. I believe in what I see. Well that all changed in a six month period.

Now as I said while at the sinks, I would watch the mirror for anyone who tried to creep in and rob me. This night I look and no one was there, I did not here the sqeak that the front door made. I could always tell when someone walked in by that sound. The next time I looked up there is a huge figure standing right behind me in the mirror. I almost poo poo my pants thinking some thief finally got me. I spin around ready for a fight and nobody was there. I think OK your just imagining things. Little too much on the Stephen King novels. So I go back to work. I look up again, same figure right behind me. This time instead of spinning around I watch the figure. I stands ther and shifts, I hear no sound, It was not a trick of the light, it just stood there while it kinda shifted. I really don't have a word to descibe it. I can see it clearly in my mind but to put it to words is hard. I am 6"3" and this thing had maybe a foot on me. So this time I turn around slowly, nobody, I look back to the mirror and its gone. Now I know what I had seen. It had form and some detail. It was not a shadow or a trick of the eye.

Over the next four years working there, when I was alone, this thing would play games with me. It would cause things to fall, the bathroom doors would open etc, etc, etc. My wife, I met there. She used to come in and sit with me on the slow nights. One night she went into the bathroom, a second later she screams. I run in ready to kill some pervert that I thought had snuck in the ladies room. I meet her in the hall, she is hysterical, couldn't even speak. I go in every loving door in the ladies room (12 doors) are opening and closing in rapid succession. I stand there stunned, and watch this happen for a minute or so. She left never to go back in there unless a lot of people were there.

We have had cleaning people leave in the middle of their shifts, refusing to return to work, unless someone else would be there. The place next to us was renevated from an old ballroom to a concert hall. Denny the manager would not go into the hall unless someone else was there. He told me one night he was booking bands and setting up schedules, he hears a noise outside the office. When he walked out, all the lights shut off and he looks up the grand staircase, descending down the stair case is a female figure that he said "sort of glowed", he also tried to produce the noise the form was making. It was sort of a whispering scream. Needless to say he ran out of there and would never stay late again.

Our cook Jimmy used to do part-time work over there. Setting up sound equipment, cleaning, basically the "everything" guy. We got to talking about the poo poo that happened to us, he starts to tell me that one night, after a Battle of the Bands tourny, he was cleaning up. He went downstairs to grab the cleaning equipment. The closet door slams shut and everthing on the shelf starts to shake violently. The mops and brooms all fall off their pegs and he described a sound of someone screaming upstairs. He never worked there again. The next day he walked into to Denny's office and told him what happened. Denny said he understood and they left it at that.

I used to talk with the manager and the other bartenders, they said since I was the new guy, that's why I got those shifts. They would not work them. They would tell me their the things that would happen to them. Very much the same that was happening to me. I didn't care, I was making money and this thing never touched me, just mind gently caress you. At the end of the night it would try and talk to me, I would be in the office and I would hear someone shout "HEY YOU" or just a low moan or a scream from next door. I know I was the only person when it happened. At closing I would do a walk-through with a flashlight and a 9-iron from my car. I checked upstairs and downstairs, no one.

After a while I used to taunt it to see what would happen. Usually the screaming would become more frequent or doors would open but no harm would befall me. I dealt with that for over four years. I heard and had seen some freaky poo poo. I just took all the shifts that nobody would take. I go back home from time to time and see the old place. The new crowd of bartenders know me, but not all that well. One time I asked this kid about it, he was the new early week bartender. He didn't say anything but just looked at me and he his face had turned white. O yea, he knew what I was talking about.

Well that's my story, never encountered another ghost. Just bringing this back up has made me jumpy and I have goose bumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maka
Mar 18, 2001

You didn't make this up, did you? Otherwise, Holy loving poo poo!

[edit]
I think I'll also add a mini ghost story (sorta)

The day after my uncle died, all of my uncle's watches stopped on the date he was pronounced dead. Oh, and he gave my grandma an antique clock before he died that was incapable of working again. Yet it started working again (after he died, of course) and stopped also on the date he was dead. My grandma went up to his burial site in North Carolina to take pictures, and the 2 photos she took had those fuzzy white shapes around the grave. This was on a roll of 36 exposure, and all the other photos were fine. Really creepy...

Maka fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 4, 2002

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
poo poo. I am sitting with my back to the door typing, alone in the house, and I desperately fighting the urge to look over my shoulder every few seconds.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

edx200
Oct 8, 2000

by Ozma
Where was this? Please.

----------------

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.
You don't know how thankful I am of you not posting this at night.

Katana
Aug 15, 2001

(Not a troll)
Not fair. You guys get the cool ghosts...

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

quote:

ice came out of the closet to say:
You don't know how thankful I am of you not posting this at night.

Its night time here.....

----------------

Salaam
May 12, 2001

quote:

Serotonin came out of the closet to say:
poo poo. I am sitting with my back to the door typing, alone in the house, and I desperately fighting the urge to look over my shoulder every few seconds.

But you still wouldn't see the beast standing behind you, it only shows in mirrors. Sorry man, you're hosed.

slynk
Apr 14, 2001
Geez....that's loving scary!

Have you ever contacted the owners of the place and asked them if it still happens?

dojokm
Sep 20, 2001

quote:

K@rm@ came out of the closet to say:
I go in every loving door in the ladies room (12 doors) are opening and closing in rapid succession. I stand there stunned, and watch this happen for a minute or so.

That's the kind of poo poo you see in movies, I would've been gone, right then and there.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

quote:

EDX200 came out of the closet to say:
Where was this? Please.
He said Al Capone and other gangsters used to hang there, so my guess would be Chicago.

quote:

Where was this? Please.

S.O.P.'s or Sullivains Other Planet in Peoria, Illinios 500 Main st. 2 hours outside Chicago.

And I wish this was made up, it still gives me nightmares.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

quote:

dojokm came out of the closet to say:

That's the kind of poo poo you see in movies, I would've been gone, right then and there.

Gone- I think I would have evacuated my bowels their on the toilet floor.

----------------

Nadesico
Jun 15, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just like a goon to gently caress with a ghost! This is a great story, thanks for sharing!

----------------

edx200
Oct 8, 2000

by Ozma

quote:

Nit Wit Dog poo poo came out of the closet to say:
He said Al Capone and other gangsters used to hang there, so my guess would be Chicago.
Chicago = most haunted place on Earth BTW. Between the bigass fire and the huge mob wars that place is royally screwed.

----------------

slynk
Apr 14, 2001

quote:

Chicago = most haunted place on Earth BTW. Between the bigass fire and the huge mob wars that place is royally screwed.

There's band called the Lawrence Arms from Chicago. They have one song called Ghost Stories. Their their songs are sort of dark. I guess I know why.

mr box
Mar 6, 2001
I would have been out of there so loving fast.

Narcus
Jul 26, 2001

GO AWAY BATTLE FISH
Thanks for telling that great story. It sounds like you eventually just learned to ignore it (mostly). Gyah, I would NOT LIKE looking in the mirror and seeing a big evil THING behind me.

Can you tell us more about the figure you saw behind you? Did it have a face, or did it look like a man?

Narcus fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 4, 2002

Ratguy
Aug 15, 2001

Mmmmmm.... Rat
Just out of curiosity, have you ever partaken of any mind-altering drugs?

I have squandered my resistance
For a pocketful of mumbles.

slynk
Apr 14, 2001
gently caress....I'm scared to go to the bathroom....stupid mirrors.

Shade Fell
Jun 1, 2000

i have really lovely vision & i see things out of the corners of my eyes a lot. like, hands reaching for me, black cats (or cat like shapes) leaping toward or away from me, all kinds of crazy poo poo. it used to really scare me, but now i realize that i just see things out of the corners of my eyes (beyond the field of my glasses) that are blurry, and my brain translates them into things.

however, when i dormed at UIC, i started hearing things as well. notably, in the laundry room. now, my dorm at UIC (university of illinois at chicago) was on the west side, in what used to be a mental hospital. all the dorm doors still had the observation windows. they had simply boarded them over. classy, huh?

anyway, the first floor is the cafeteria/etc, the second floor has offices and links to another building, the third floor is more offices, the computer lab, and the tv lounge, and floors 4-8 were dorms. the "pent house" above the 8th floor was the laundry room, as well as housing all sorts of electrical rooms. there was an elevator from the 1st to the 8th floor, which was almost constantly broken or filled with urine (yay drunken fresmen!), and then there were stairs leading to the "pent house."

the light in the stairs leading to the penthouse was almost constantly burnt out. now, i eventually got a job with the university, and i knew the cleaning/maintance people. they replaced the bulb all the time, and it burnt out immediatly. it didn't get smashed or stolen, burnt out. there was no electrical reason for it, either... no shorts or anything. i fell down those stairs twice. both times, i swear i felt a hand shoving me.

i used to babysit my laundry when it was washing and drying. i'd do homework or read or paint my nails and keep an eye on my clothes, as the rear end gently caress residents liked to steal laundry, or just pull all the clothes out of machines and dump them on the floor. my friend neil had someone steal ALL his boxer shorts, and more than once i went up to the laundry room to get my dry clothes, only to find that they'd been pulled out of the machine and dumped on the floor while wet, so somebody else could use the machine i paid for. assholes!

anyway, while up in the laundry room, which was a full flight of stairs above the top residential floor, with nothing but roof above it, i frequently heard the sound of a woman crying. there was nobody in the room with me, and it sounded like it was coming from the other side of the many locked doors (leading to supply closets and circuit breakers, nothing else) or from the roof, or from outside the windows... which didn't have anything beneath them. creepy as all hell. sometime's i'd hear low voices and a slapping sound, and then the crying would be louder.

i eventually moved to a different dorm with a different laundry room, and no longer heard the crying. however, when i moved in with morley, i was awakened one night by the same crying sound... a whimpering, drawn out "huuu huuu huu... a hu huu huuu..." sound. it comes from various parts of the building, usually places where nobody is. scary.

some of you might remember the last part of this from the bullshit "i think my apartment is haunted!" thread i posted a few weeks ago. that was mostly made up, especially the radiator that leaked wine that turned into blood. however, i do hear a ghostly crying from time to time. maybe i just exude an aura of depression that causes everyone around me to break down sobbing?

http://www.brigidkeely.com/wordpress

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

quote:

Try the UK mate, you cant go any where with out tripping ovr 400 year old haunted castles, pubs and rectories. London itself is chock full of ghost stories.

----------------

<deleted user>

quote:

Yes, Well shouldn't Dresden, Germany be more haunted? how about after the firebombing of Tokyo? What about Hiroshima/Nagasaki? How about Hawaii?

Or does war not count?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

quote:

Shade Fell came out of the closet to say:
Stuff about living in an old Mental Hospital.

Been their Shadefell- my old dorm was part of a 200 year old Victorian Asylum, and the part where my dorm was, was the old Pyscho-Geriatric ward. I only had one minor experience, but a lot of people experienced a lot of very very freaky poo poo.

----------------

Katana
Aug 15, 2001

(Not a troll)

quote:

Try the UK mate, you cant go any where with out tripping ovr 400 year old haunted castles, pubs and rectories. London itself is chock full of ghost stories.
Pfft. I've yet to encounter a scary one yet. Try Malaysia, according to my sister, some scientist there even managed to catch one and traped it in a jar. It was even on the news.

Shade Fell
Jun 1, 2000

quote:

Pointman came out of the closet to say:

Yes, Well shouldn't Dresden, Germany be more haunted? how about after the firebombing of Tokyo? What about Hiroshima/Nagasaki? How about Hawaii?

Or does war not count?

you have to understand:
chicago is simply the coolest, best place in the entire world.
here in chicago, we have more ghosts, more alcohol, more jobs, more hookers, more corruption, and more of everything than any other place. ever.

Shade Fell
Jun 1, 2000

quote:

Been their Shadefell- my old dorm was part of a 200 year old Victorian Asylum, and the part where my dorm was, was the old Pyscho-Geriatric ward. I only had one minor experience, but a lot of people experienced a lot of very very freaky poo poo.

a psycho-geriatric ward?

so... you were haunted by elderly, insane ghosts?

THE BEST OF EVERY POSSIBLE WORLD!

corsair
Jan 10, 2001

quote:

you have to understand:
chicago is simply the coolest, best place in the entire world.
here in chicago, we have more ghosts, more alcohol, more jobs, more hookers, more corruption, and more of everything than any other place. ever.

Boston > Chicago.

Cotisimo
Jul 11, 2001

It's good to have a hobby.
poo poo man, I got goosebumps reading that something fierce. Didn't help that I was listening to Morphine's "Like a Mirror" :I'm like a mirror, I'm like a mirror, I'm nothing till you look at me

Good tale man. Glad you survived it!

I just don't like you people

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.
Good spook tale...

The other day the my huge wooden 4-post bed was moved a foot to the right when I woke up. I know this because I always keep a glass of water on the bedside table. When I got up I noticed that I had to reach over and get the water. I still dont know why it was moved but my wife aske me about it later that day and I told her I didnt do it. Sleepwalking?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

quote:

a psycho-geriatric ward?

so... you were haunted by elderly, insane ghosts?

THE BEST OF EVERY POSSIBLE WORLD!
Yep- the worst story I heard was my friend was woken up one night, by soemone sitting down heavy on the end of her bed and quietly sniggering to itself- she said it sounded like a woman, then afetr a few seconds, the pressure on the bed changed and she felt it 'get up'.
Mainly people just felt lots of spooky presences as if they were being watched, and occaisonally we would here odd noises, like banging and footsteps when there was noone near. Creepy old place.

----------------

edx200
Oct 8, 2000

by Ozma

quote:

Pointman came out of the closet to say:

Or does war not count?
I'm sorry my statement wasn't politically correct enough.

Add Warsaw, Poland to that list if yer gonna get all wanky about poo poo.

----------------

dojokm
Sep 20, 2001

The talk of mirrors reminded me of something that happened to my brother. One night, a few years ago, I was babysitting him while my parents were out. It was relatively late at night, 11ish (hey I was like 14), and he was getting ready for bed. The bathroom he was using was set up so that when you walked in, the sink and mirror were right in front of you. So, when you looked in the mirror, you could see out the door. Well, he was brushing his teeth in front of the mirror when I heard him scream. I came running up the steps and asked him what was wrong. He said he saw "a head come out of the door frame." I dismissed him and told him he was imagining it, but he insists to this day that he saw a head.

Our house isn't haunted or anything, at least to my knowledge, that's the only freaky occurence we've ever had, so I tend to dismiss it as a 9 year old kid seeing things, but who knows.

quote:

Ratguy came out of the closet to say:
Just out of curiosity, have you ever partaken of any mind-altering drugs?

Yes but when we all put our heads together and came up with same experiences, we ruled that out. People that did drugs and people that did not had the same things happen to them.

quote:

Narcus came out of the closet to say:

Can you tell us more about the figure you saw behind you? Did it have a face, or did it look like a man?

It looka lika man [/Miss Swan] No it had form, and the details you could see like a suit coat I guess. I did make out what I thought was a shirt collar. At that time I was more scared than remebering details. I see it when I close my eyes, its really hard to put into words. Not a shadow but like a shadow...?

jebbo
Jan 29, 2001
Done my Time
nice story, but I still remain skeptical. I think its all a mass delusion created by so much crap on TV. I've never heard anyone from a third world country having a paranormal encounter.

Stray Bullet
Jun 5, 2001
My daughter has come into our bedroom many times..when I ask her why she says she sees a lady coming out of the ceiling.

-STRAY-

Stray Bullet
Jun 5, 2001

quote:

jebbo came out of the closet to say:
nice story, but I still remain skeptical. I think its all a mass delusion created by so much crap on TV. I've never heard anyone from a third world country having a paranormal encounter.

Maybe their ISP's are down.

-STRAY-

PurdWerfect
Aug 29, 2000

Since you encountered strangeness there so many times, did you ever attempt to make peace with whatever you were encountering? Something along the lines of "Hey, I know this is where you live and that's fine by me. Just please don't harass my wife or me. I'd appreciate it. Thanks."

Narcus
Jul 26, 2001

GO AWAY BATTLE FISH

quote:

I don't think we hear a lot from such countries anyway.
Here's a freaky story about the Faces of Belmez. Spain isn't a third world country, though.
http://www.cleveleys.co.uk/paranormal/belmez.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

quote:

Er then you obviousy dont know much- Africa has a massive history of ghost stories, and a tradtion of witches, ghosts and vampires.

----------------