Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Casual Encountess posted:

so i have an ender3 somebody loaned me a month or two ago and somebody else gave me a crate full of filament. its mostly abs though, and ive only done pla. i know abs gives you triple butt cancer or whatever, but ive never used it. is it like resin where i know i for sure need to keep the printer in the garage, or is putting it near an open window in the office and just not being in the room enough?

It smells bad but it’s not going to kill you

But also it’s a right pain in the rear end to print well without an enclosure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Yeah even the tent you get on Amazon helps. But seriously, it's a pain in the rear end to print on the Ender

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

it was free, so im not exactly torn up about it.

i had only used esun pla+ but the one im printing with rn is like mika silk pla and its gorgeous looking. theres like two unlabeled reels and the rest is clearly ABS. is there a way to id unlabeled poo poo or am i gonna go on an adventure?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
See what temp it melts at? if it prints it prints.. and holds together

mewse
May 2, 2006

Light it on fire and if it smells like ABS it is ABS

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Casual Encountess posted:

it was free, so im not exactly torn up about it.

i had only used esun pla+ but the one im printing with rn is like mika silk pla and its gorgeous looking. theres like two unlabeled reels and the rest is clearly ABS. is there a way to id unlabeled poo poo or am i gonna go on an adventure?

Burn it with a lighter. If it smells sweet it's PLA. If it smells like burning rubber it's ABS. If it smells waxy and sooty it's PETG. It's not likely to be anything else.

After a while you'll also be able to tell by the feel of the filament. PLA is stiff and hard, PETG is very flexible, and ABS is somewhere in between. They each sound different when you shake the coils around, too.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Roundboy posted:

The Google tells me is a buffer underrun in marlin. It can also be too long of a gcode file name

Try to make a small gcode name you send to the printer?

So, I also did some googling, after changing the gcode name, and trying to print via SD card - neither worked. I also downgraded Cura to the version that I was using before (4.6) with no luck.

I found a thread talking about long diagonals causing some kind of timeout. And anecdotally that seems to be where all my 'user input required' messages were coming at.

Soooo, I grabbed a copy of Sic3r and Pronterface - sliced up the stl, and used Pronterface to print. So far I've printed 2 parts without issue, so I think it's 'fixed'.

Thanks again for the help and pointing me in the right direction.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Was surprisingly easy to make a custom LCD cover for my prusa mk3 clone I'm going to build (once aliexpress parts arrive)

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

porktree posted:

So, I also did some googling, after changing the gcode name, and trying to print via SD card - neither worked. I also downgraded Cura to the version that I was using before (4.6) with no luck.

I found a thread talking about long diagonals causing some kind of timeout. And anecdotally that seems to be where all my 'user input required' messages were coming at.

Soooo, I grabbed a copy of Sic3r and Pronterface - sliced up the stl, and used Pronterface to print. So far I've printed 2 parts without issue, so I think it's 'fixed'.

Thanks again for the help and pointing me in the right direction.

Prusa slicer.

GotDonuts
Apr 28, 2008

Karbohydrate Kitteh
mk3s+ finally shipping from prague, lets hope it arrives by next week as I have pto for thursday and friday to build that bad bitch

GotDonuts
Apr 28, 2008

Karbohydrate Kitteh
mk3s+ finally shipping from prague, lets hope it arrives by next week as I have pto for thursday and friday to build that bad bitch

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Anyone here tried the alternate versions of Cura? I've seen the official Arachne engine beta version which looks interesting and apparently speeds up printing significantly, and then there's another one with better tree supports as well.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

GotDonuts posted:

If you don't already have a decent set of hex keys, get a decent set of hex keys. The ones you get with it are not very good and from long experience working with bikes I can tell you your hands will be much happier after a day of assembling parts if you get some with comfortable handles.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

T handle hex things are nice if you have the budget

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Just don't get the 't handles' that are just a loop of plastic coated thick wire. Hex screwdriver bits or handles work well too, as well as normal hex keys because you sometimes need that short right angle

It's not an ender, so you prob don't need a square, 3-2-1 block , new wires, new fans, ferrules, connectors, etc

Spend the time setting it up, then getting a slicer profile that prints nice for your filament. Then start going faster while keeping quality up. It is absurd how fast you can print when you got your squish locked down and auto adjusted

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Doctor Zero posted:

Prusa slicer.

On it - thanks, does it also send the gcode to the printer, or will I still need Pronterface (or something like it)? I'd install and run it to find out, but I'm printing right now.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

big scary monsters posted:

If you don't already have a decent set of hex keys, get a decent set of hex keys. The ones you get with it are not very good and from long experience working with bikes I can tell you your hands will be much happier after a day of assembling parts if you get some with comfortable handles.

I have a wowstick and it covers my use 99% of the time, and I absolutely love it

Wowstick 1F+ 64 In 1 Electric Screwdriver, Dual Mode Cordless Lithium-ion Charge LED Power Screwdriver (64 in 1) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H27G9NF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_7MRWNNK2EQGM40NBXH7C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Sockser posted:

I have a wowstick and it covers my use 99% of the time, and I absolutely love it

Wowstick 1F+ 64 In 1 Electric Screwdriver, Dual Mode Cordless Lithium-ion Charge LED Power Screwdriver (64 in 1) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H27G9NF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_7MRWNNK2EQGM40NBXH7C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Well there's something I didn't know I needed until I saw it. Thanks!

If my voron kit ever arrives this will probably be a life saver lol

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

GotDonuts posted:

Mine shipped on Tuesday and already arrived yesterday. I was shocked at the speed. Now I have to stare at the box until this weekend when I can build it.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I'm looking for an upgrade for my epax X1 and the Photon Mono 6k is currently on sale and looking very tempting. It seems to be the only sub-$1000 printer currently on the market that is an upgrade for me both in terms of build size and print quality. If I didn't buy one of these, I'm thinking my plan would be to wait until 8k large format printers become more available later this year.

For those of you with an Anycubic Mono 6k, do you like it? Would you recommend it?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

porktree posted:

On it - thanks, does it also send the gcode to the printer, or will I still need Pronterface (or something like it)? I'd install and run it to find out, but I'm printing right now.

Sorry, haven’t tried that. Maybe another goon can weigh in?

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

porktree posted:

You can definitely send code directly via USB, it may have pronterface built in somewhere.

There's a print host upload queue.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Good to hear, thanks everyone.

mewse
May 2, 2006

PrusaSlicer won't act as a print host like pronterface does. The installer for prusaslicer has usually included pronterface, though.

Most people will set up octoprint / octopi to act as a print host instead of screwing around with SD cards full of gcode files. Prusaslicer has a button to send gcode to a plugged in SD card after slicing, or to send the gcode to an octoprint host after slicing (this is the "print host upload queue"). It won't act as a print host itself - a print host sits on the printer's usb/serial connection and drip feeds it the gcode file, this is what pronterface and octoprint do.

e: if you've used slic3r already you should be comfortable with prusaslicer, it's a fork

mewse fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 24, 2022

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Yay, voron kit is finally released from quarantine and is on hopefully a not so slow boat from china and will be here monday.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

How do y'all get prints (PLA) off of glass beds? I've recently acquired an Ender 3 v2 and holy crap do they adhere.

Are the flexible steel plates really all that and a bag of chips? At this point I'd gladly part ways with $25 if it meant I wouldn't have to fight with emptying the kitchen freezer any longer. Would a flexible steel plate require I get one of those bed measuring doodads too, though?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

cruft posted:

How do y'all get prints (PLA) off of glass beds? I've recently acquired an Ender 3 v2 and holy crap do they adhere.

Are the flexible steel plates really all that and a bag of chips? At this point I'd gladly part ways with $25 if it meant I wouldn't have to fight with emptying the kitchen freezer any longer. Would a flexible steel plate require I get one of those bed measuring doodads too, though?

Depends on if your glass has a coating. For plain borosilicate I make sure to put some glue stick down then do a lot of wedging in with either a scotty peeler or a chisel or both:
https://smile.amazon.com/Scotty-Peelers-Label-Sticker-Remover/dp/B0068QIQVA/
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NOVP8KY/

They both have a finer edge than the scrapers that most printer manufacturers send you with the machine. Don't put your other hand in the path of where the blade can go because it's easy to stab yourself.

If you have a creality glass bed with the carborundum coating the print will get loose when the bed cools down. If it's really stuck I can usually just tap it on the side with a little hammer and it'll pop off. If you're really smushing the plastic into it maybe you're a little too low.

Flexible build plates are pretty nice for popping prints off. You don't need to get a BL touch or whatever to use one, you'll just need to re-level the build plate once you get it on. Generally build plates stay pretty level although some folks have better luck upgrading the creality springs with those heavier yellow ones. My ender 3 has been fine with the stock ones, though.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
For PLA and borosilicate glass, I just wait. If it doesn't want to pop off right away, it will when the bed cools. This does necessitate waiting and would slow down a mass production, however.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I hate my wowstick and something in it stripped out in less than a week of use. It's got no oomph and the internals are made of glass if you try and tighten things by hand even a little bit.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

mewse posted:

PrusaSlicer won't act as a print host like pronterface does. The installer for prusaslicer has usually included pronterface, though.

Most people will set up octoprint / octopi to act as a print host instead of screwing around with SD cards full of gcode files.

You lose power off recovery if you use octoprint with a Prusa mk3s though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FWIW I have never used the power off recovery feature.

Maybe it's useful if you do a ton of multi-day prints and are making money off them, or if your place has unreliable electricity. It's a nice bonus feature I guess? But not having it is not a dealbreaker for me.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I was describing PrusaSlicer for porktree who has an ender 3 FWIW TIA HTH

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I set up Octoprint with a spare Android phone on my Ender 3 v2 and it was 120% worth the effort

Gonna huck this Creality wi-fi box into the bin

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So wait, an old android phone can do the octoprint instead of a Raspberry Pi? I have one of those, it's a Pi I don't have and don't want to pay the current prices for.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Sockser posted:

I've seen a heavier-duty-looking version of that before but I don't remember the name of it now. Wowstick looks awesome but I'd want one that is more heavy duty.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Would anyone be able to print me a few of this part in TPU? I don't want to gently caress with a whole roll for tiny widgets.

https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/146399-sunlu-filadryer-s2-ptfe-adapter

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

bird food bathtub posted:

So wait, an old android phone can do the octoprint instead of a Raspberry Pi? I have one of those, it's a Pi I don't have and don't want to pay the current prices for.

https://youtu.be/74xdib_-X38

Here’s a video about using a phone from a reliable source

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

cruft posted:

Don't bother with the bed levelling sensor. Pei coated steel sheet for a bed and the upgraded yellow bed springs should be mandatory for the ender 3 though.

Between those and a slightly nicer hotend cooling duct I printed, my ender 3 is a god drat workhorse and punches way above its price point

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Just take the time to tune it and get your speeds set.

I printed 5 of a thing that took ender 50(!) loving hours. Voron did 8 in 17. I really need to spend more time on the ender to make it useful again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Opinionated posted:

I've seen a heavier-duty-looking version of that before but I don't remember the name of it now. Wowstick looks awesome but I'd want one that is more heavy duty.

I've got a little no-name cordless electric screwdriver somewhere where the handle flips between straight and pistol grip. It's pretty handy for long screws, but it doesn't have that much torque so you still want a set of manual hex keys for starting stiff screws or tightening ones that need to be especially tight (maybe more applicable to bikes than 3D printers).