Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

big nipples big life posted:

shredder gauntlet is the most fun weapon when you get it down IMO, it's also crazy strong with elements.

Juggling two discs against a distant-ish machine feels so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M31
Jun 12, 2012
My frame rate was all over the place because there is (was) an issue using a wireless dual sense controller. Apparently fixed already, or you can enable steam input. After that, it's been pretty smooth.

Also, holy poo poo, this game is very pretty

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Ancestors Return is the MVP but sometimes I use it together with the legendary non-elemental shredder. It’s fun for different reasons. Downside is the tear area is not as wide and no element. But it does more damage and tear if you hit a weakpoint so it’s more satisfying to sharpshoot with it. And it makes enemies stagger, often interrupting attacks, and can cause knockdowns. So it’s fun on larger medium and heavyweight machines.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Patch today. Both the steam-input control hints, and non-steam-input poor FPS until reconnect are fixed!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
do you ever get an upgrade so that firing the Sharpshot Bow on the move doesn't degrade your accuracy or is that just how it works now

e: just saw the skill at the bottom of Infiltrator -- next question, does it remove the penalty or just reduce it?

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
It’s a skill that came with the dlc, us poor sods on the ps4 have to do without

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

How do you exit the number code entry menu? (Like for locked doors.) There's no on-screen indicator, and ESC, the interact key, right click, all do nothing.

e: i just looked up the answer online, good thing they don't actually require you to have already found the number in-game. this port's better than the first one in terms of performance but the UI is a complete shitshow, and it's even weirder because it keeps loving things up that the first game's M+KB control scheme did just fine

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 23, 2024

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Having double-tap-to-roll default to on for M&KB feels bizarre. Really easy to accidentally roll out of cover, and it's harder to use in combat than manual dodging.

But (with it disabled) I'm having fun.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
DSR mode not working for anyone else? I got GPU usage to burn but I can't pick any higher res options than native.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

M31 posted:

Also, holy poo poo, this game is very pretty

Yeah. HZD was already graphically impressive but the PS5-ification has stepped it up a level.

Struggling through Ultra Hard, people weren't kidding about it being difficult but it's still been manageable so far. drat near everything one-shots me but as someone fighting AI-engineered weaponized robot animals with primitive weaponry that seems appropriate. Aloy defeated an ancient weapon platform possessed by Hades to save Meridian, then died a few months later when a gopher automaton threw a rock at her.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Just started it tonight and I looked up and it's almost 2 in the morning :negative:

Combat seems like an improvement and the game is even prettier than the first. Thanks to the goon for the tips above. Anything else worth knowing before getting into the meat of the game?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Eason the Fifth posted:

Anything else worth knowing before getting into the meat of the game?

talk to the boom boom twins in chainscrape for the exploding javelin quest hth

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Here are some more random gameplay tips for people that want them:

- All valor surges make you invincible for the entirety of their animation, so you can use them in a pinch to survive a deadly attack or getting blown up by a plasma explosion.
- Smoke bombs can be used to interrupt any normal machine attack animation within range, making them kind of like a parry. Even if something is leaping at you, a smoke bomb will usually stop it in its tracks.
- Any coil that boosts a generic condition rather than a specific damage type, (i.e. Agility Damage, Overdraw Damage, Concentration Damage, etc.) will also increase elemental buildup and tear by the same amount.
- Outfits that increase any of Aloy's normal skills to 4/4 sometimes provide larger bonuses when maxed out. Level 4 Machine Override for example will make all overrides permanent, instead of just lasting longer.
- It's better to just upgrade your weapons and armor whenever it's convenient rather than try to keep up with everything at all times. A blue Hunter Bow that you can upgrade to 5/5 often does more damage than a purple one you can't.
- Certain weapon types (sling bombs, warrior bows, drill spikes) also have higher hidden knockdown values, also making them useful for crowd control and critical strikes when machines are on the ground.
- I spent my entire first playthrough not understanding what Purgewater did, so simply: Purgewater removes elemental resistances from machines, and makes them unable to use most elemental attacks against you.
- If you want the long dodge from Zero Dawn back, there is an endgame legendary armor (Tenakth Vanquisher) that has this as a hidden property.
- Unlike Zero Dawn, a lot of questlines also give really nice weapon and outfit rewards, making them worth doing for reasons beyond just the story.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

- All valor surges make you invincible for the entirety of their animation, so you can use them in a pinch to survive a deadly attack or getting blown up by a plasma explosion.
- Smoke bombs can be used to interrupt any normal machine attack animation within range, making them kind of like a parry. Even if something is leaping at you, a smoke bomb will usually stop it in its tracks.
- Any coil that boosts a generic condition rather than a specific damage type, (i.e. Agility Damage, Overdraw Damage, Concentration Damage, etc.) will also increase elemental buildup and tear by the same amount.
- Outfits that increase any of Aloy's normal skills to 4/4 sometimes provide larger bonuses when maxed out. Level 4 Machine Override for example will make all overrides permanent, instead of just lasting longer.
- It's better to just upgrade your weapons and armor whenever it's convenient rather than try to keep up with everything at all times. A blue Hunter Bow that you can upgrade to 5/5 often does more damage than a purple one you can't.
- Certain weapon types (sling bombs, warrior bows, drill spikes) also have higher hidden knockdown values, also making them useful for crowd control and critical strikes when machines are on the ground.
- I spent my entire first playthrough not understanding what Purgewater did, so simply: Purgewater removes elemental resistances from machines, and makes them unable to use most elemental attacks against you.
- If you want the long dodge from Zero Dawn back, there is an endgame legendary armor (Tenakth Vanquisher) that has this as a hidden property.
- Unlike Zero Dawn, a lot of questlines also give really nice weapon and outfit rewards, making them worth doing for reasons beyond just the story.

Yeah, every post of exquisite tea giving advice is well worth reading. The combat in this game took me forever to adjust to until, like they posted, that sliding, jumping and falling all have you draw 50% faster and how the game really wants you to use different weapons and target specific spots. Targeting legs and breakable parts is paramount. It also really helps, almost required, to use elements they are weak to. Getting the hang of these things made me enjoy the combat ten-fold.

Only suck thing, really, are the component requirements for upgrading end-game gear. They are quite ridiculous.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

is there any way to disable the animation? they're like five times longer than they ought to be

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

having to go into the menu to change weapons mid-fight because six slots isn't enough sucks !!!

also the quickdraw thing, idk how the hell you're supposed to aim reliably or accurately on a controller while sliding or whatever. feels easier and more effective to just aim & shoot normally

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 24, 2024

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

You can combine agility damage coils (jumping, falling, sliding) with concentration damage coils to quickdraw and aim with slow-mo and double dip on the damage bonus. I'm pretty sure the legendary shredder gauntlet has these boosts innately as well to encourage this. I spent a lot of time jumping in concentration with that thing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

It takes some getting used to but once you get in the habit of hitting L3+R3 as soon as you go into a slide then it becomes quite easy to hit your targets with the superfast draw time. Or just go Warrior/Machine Master and don't give a poo poo about aiming.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Or just go Warrior/Machine Master and don't give a poo poo about aiming.
i think I might just do this :v: if nothing else, i haven't given the spike throwers a fair shake yet, as of being tasked to retrieve three major Plot MacGuffins

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

man resetting the skill tree anytime is nice but holding X on all the skills again is such drudgery considering it's not a permanent choice

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Ciaphas posted:

i think I might just do this :v: if nothing else, i haven't given the spike throwers a fair shake yet, as of being tasked to retrieve three major Plot MacGuffins

The spike thrower is amazing and I lived it almost as much as I loved blasting things off of machines with the tearblast sharpshot bow. There' s a spike thrower that has ones that explode after a brief delay that's really fun, and it also has drill spikes that just start chewing into a machine and slowly loving it up over time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Spike Throwers tend to pair really well with Machine Master builds since they don't require too much precision and mounted quickdraw compensates for their relatively slow draw speed. With Level 3 Powershots and 4/4 Mounted Archer you can kill most elite machines in the game with 3-4 javelins.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

My only complaint about drill spikes is that the DOT effect won't trigger any of the instant element state effects, only the initial throw will.

And I guess that there's no legendary version until burning shores.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
drill spikes are also one of the best ammo for knockdowns, applied to the legs of machines

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Yeah a dril in the leg of anything is a guaranteed knock down, good way to open a fight.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

big nipples big life posted:

a dril in the leg

so long suckers! i rev up my bristleback and create a huge cloud of smoke. when the cloud dissipates im lying completely dead on the mesa floor

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
another day volunteering at memorial grove. everyone keeps asking me if they can gently caress the soldier holograms. buddy, they don't even let me gently caress them

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

oops.

funny tweet definitely the best way to open fights.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

haveblue posted:

another day volunteering at memorial grove. everyone keeps asking me if they can gently caress the soldier holograms. buddy, they don't even let me gently caress them

i am selling eight beautfiul, extremely ill, mechanical triceratops. they no longer recognize me as their farmer, and are the Burden of my life

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
I'm playing this for the first time since it's come out on PC and is it just me or is this game much harder than the first? I remember 100%ing the first game and not having too much trouble other than some of the fights in the DLC, but this game (on Very Hard) is kinda kicking my rear end. Seems like playing into the elemental resists or lack thereof on the robots is the name of the game this time around, but man, at the beginning when my only shock option is a tripwire shooter and I don't even have some of the others the going is rough. Still having a good time with it, looking forward to discovering more hubristic tech companies and ancient assholes.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I found it to be significantly harder than the first one, people ITT have said that it feels like 1 difficulty level higher than HZD, like very hard in FW is ultra in HZD and I'd agree with that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
joke's on you; i actually love being body slammed by one dozen robot velociraptors

Martian Manfucker posted:

I'm playing this for the first time since it's come out on PC and is it just me or is this game much harder than the first? I remember 100%ing the first game and not having too much trouble other than some of the fights in the DLC, but this game (on Very Hard) is kinda kicking my rear end. Seems like playing into the elemental resists or lack thereof on the robots is the name of the game this time around, but man, at the beginning when my only shock option is a tripwire shooter and I don't even have some of the others the going is rough. Still having a good time with it, looking forward to discovering more hubristic tech companies and ancient assholes.

It is significantly harder, yeah. Elemental resist is important. Hunter bows are now a midrange weapon and the enemies will try to stop you from using them at close range (you need a warrior bow for quick close shots)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The game has significantly more RPG-esque stat progression, some of it baked into the skill trees, some of it into weapon upgrading, and some of it into universal mechanics. If you're stacking as many bonuses as possible you do ridiculous damage, to the point where some returning large machines might die even faster than in HZD, but only if you're engaging with the Diablo 3-like gameplay loop where it's like "okay if you're standing in a fairy circle hopping on one leg widdershins firing energy-type bullets at a grass-type enemy you get +10% damage" which leaves you really pigeonholed, while flexibility and not having to think about that poo poo comes at a cost in potential damage output.

Honestly I'm finding it really unsatisfying even now that I have a busted endgame weapon. Every system in the game is just slightly worse and more annoying than it used to be. I wish I could just backport throwing spears and the more aggressive machine AI and throw out basically everything else they changed.

e: a lot of what's wrong is really subtle things with the controls; knockdowns last a little longer, there's a weird delay after firing before your aim circle starts to shrink again, long dodge roll got removed, the new climbing mechanics mean Aloy is constantly getting stuck to surfaces when you were just trying to walk, Sharpshot Bows got punished for being too universally good in the first game in a way that doesn't make them weaker but does make them way more annoying to use, the multi-arrow nocking skills introduce way more aim variance, the ammo crafting menu stops registering button presses if you slide from one ammo type to the next -- everything is like this. it's still more Horizon, so objectively speaking the result is still a pretty decent game, but it constantly invites comparison to something that just felt better. the Nioh to HZD's Soulsborne.

e2: also i will never understand what made them think that whistling was too good and had to go, but the Smoke Bomb is fine. conceptually it's too cool for me to completely hate it but being able to just interrupt any machine attack pattern you can't be bothered to learn to dodge feels like a crutch. if it were up to me i'd probably have split the de-aggro tool and the parry/interrupt tool into two, but on the other hand the game is already overloaded with unnecessarily complex redundant systems

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 25, 2024

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

i had the benefit of replaying the original just before on VH before this initially came out on PS and imo it's mostly a matter of getting used to doing combat (or avoiding combat) well again. it's definitely more complex and has more stuff to grind, but the basics of "thin the herd", "always be dodging/healing" and "shoot the important bits off" still takes you well enough through the earlier areas. that initial 3 scrapper fight to meet up with Erend killed me plenty of times (and even more when i foolishly started fresh on UH), but now im killing them with relative ease again

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I too am attempting to play this on ultra hard from a fresh start (I did NG+ UH on PS5 previously). I get one shot by a lot of stuff but so far I’m still having fun and making progress. Game still owns, and the port runs great.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I played HZD on a controller with horrible stick drift so I was basically stealth kill/melee Aloy the whole fuckin game. Except for boss fights it was pretty viable, is that still true here?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I am playing on Normal :)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Eason the Fifth posted:

I played HZD on a controller with horrible stick drift so I was basically stealth kill/melee Aloy the whole fuckin game. Except for boss fights it was pretty viable, is that still true here?

No. They took out the whistle lure and human enemies have a lot more tricks and behaviors now. Also there are robots that can flush you out of cover with an area of effect

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Eason the Fifth posted:

Stealth is even more viable because you can use smoke bombs to reset invis mid-combat and eventually get as many as 12 of them with gear. Combine that with the valor surge that triples your damage with silent strike and you can do like 2k damage per stab. Fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

There's an early hunter bow with knockdown arrows, if you shoot machines in the shins/feet with one or two of those you can knock over basically anything early game (pre-macguffin search) and then critical strike it 2-3x before it gets back up. That will end a lot of machines.

exquisite tea posted:

Stealth is even more viable because you can use smoke bombs to reset invis mid-combat and eventually get as many as 12 of them with gear. Combine that with the valor surge that triples your damage with silent strike and you can do like 2k damage per stab. Fun!

And also the valor surge that makes you invisible outright.