Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Bisty Q. posted:

Can we do that thing where SloMo can only post in one forum and can we make it BFC?

He only posts in this thread anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
He had some great posts in the breakup thread and they eventually called him out on his petty, stupid bullshit.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Horking Delight posted:

Okay, I admit that's a pretty great quote, but SlowMo's an idiot, not a sociopath.

So you haven't read the novel excerpts, then?

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Nam Taf posted:

IMO the admins should just disable SloMo's ban list so he has to read every single post here.

+1 for this idea, sounds pretty great. However I think that'd pretty much drive him off completely 'cause he can't handle the "haters".

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Slowmo has to either work a lot more or ditch his apartment for something half the rent to make any meaningful headway in his finances (His rent is currently 52% of his takehome). Selling his loving car would be a good start too. However:

Usually I'm still hoping someone gets their act together, but in Slowmo's case I really don't care. He's earned any financial hardship he's brought on himself, we're on page 164 a year and a half later ignoring literally all the worthwhile advice given.

Here's your quarterly reminder that you are not impressing anyone or even remotely interesting. Please carry on being a self important twat so we can at least feel infinite smugness in your misery.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Nam Taf posted:

At least you can wear your sweet outfit when you attempt to fail the exam again next time!

Jesus christ, what a douchebag. And he failed.

How does a person get to be so cocky, smug, and arrogant, while consistently failing? I'm seriously at a loss.

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away

April posted:

How does a person get to be so cocky, smug, and arrogant, while consistently failing? I'm seriously at a loss.

Delusion is a hell of a drug.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

April posted:

Jesus christ, what a douchebag. And he failed.

Because at the end of the day, he sees himself taking home a hefty chunk and values himself by that. The fact that it's there and gone doesn't get into his decision making process.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Slow Motion posted:

I'm alive. Nicaragua was great. Failed MLC a second time. poo poo got real after returning to seatown. I'm getting back on the budget bandwagon. Details to follow.

I didn't realize you were ever on the budget bandwagon. But, congratulations on deciding to finally make a budget and stick to it. Looking forward to your February budget over the next couple days.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

dreesemonkey posted:

Slowmo has to either work a lot more or ditch his apartment for something half the rent to make any meaningful headway in his finances (His rent is currently 52% of his takehome). Selling his loving car would be a good start too. However:
Wait, I've seen this post before... Wasn't it from January 2014? Or maybe the first ten pages of the thread?

Anyway, what's the hobby?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Dr. Stab posted:

I didn't realize you were ever on the budget bandwagon. But, congratulations on deciding to finally make a budget and stick to it. Looking forward to your February budget over the next couple days.

Yeah, he should make a thread about his financial troubles and his plan to fix them.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Dr. Stab posted:

If you're really lucky he might make his January budget in the next few days.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

District Selectman posted:

I've been pretty good at my slowmo prognostication so far. I am going to go with a surprise pregnancy. Has all the elements.

+1

Although actually taking responsiility as the father isn't very baller. I feel like we're just going to start seeing a child support line item in his budget now.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dr. Stab posted:

You mean on February 10th right?

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

District Selectman posted:

I've been pretty good at my slowmo prognostication so far. I am going to go with a surprise pregnancy. Has all the elements.

Please be the ex wife.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

xergm posted:

+1

Although actually taking responsiility as the father isn't very baller. I feel like we're just going to start seeing a child support line item in his budget now.

paying child support isn't baller, he'll get an arrest warrant in Alaska instead

"yeah baby, I'm a wanted man. now hand me some goofballs."

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
If SloMo loses his job, the 401k loan needs to be paid back posthaste, right?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Nah, he'll just treat it as a withdrawal and take the tax hit. If he stays unemployed all year it won't be too bad!

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Engineer Lenk posted:

If SloMo loses his job, the 401k loan needs to be paid back posthaste, right?

Yeah, but that's no problem! It will just be paid out of his 401k (with taxes/early withdrawal penalties)!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Quantum Finger posted:

Seriously for real. If you do nothing else, stop drinking out of your decanters, they are poisoning you.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/027869159490202X

quote:

The results of this investigation support the concept that sufficient ageing of Pb crystal prior to use reduces, to acceptable levels, the human health risk to adults associated with consumption of beverages stored in Pb crystal decanters.

The used ones from estate sales are likely to be fine, at least if the owner actually used them. The new ones would probably benefit from some repeat store/dump cycles with vinegar/citric acid/sacrificial alcohol, though.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Computer viking posted:

The used ones from estate sales are likely to be fine, at least if the owner actually used them. The new ones would probably benefit from some repeat store/dump cycles with vinegar/citric acid/sacrificial alcohol, though.

Finally, some useful information out of the Slow Motion failthread.

Would you use pure vinegar or a diluted solution? I have a lot of Waterford crystal that I should probably soak for awhile.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
use piss for authenticity

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Finally caught up with this thread. What a ride.
Slow Motion, bro. gently caress the haters, let's party sometime!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Droo posted:

Finally, some useful information out of the Slow Motion failthread.

Would you use pure vinegar or a diluted solution? I have a lot of Waterford crystal that I should probably soak for awhile.

Going by the paper, "Yoon et al. (1976) have shown that Pb release from glass is enhanced as the pH is decreased" (...) " Yoon et al. (1976) have demonstrated that lead release from glazes is directly proportional to the acidity of the beverage. Citric acid (10%) and acetic acid (5%) with a pH of 1.75 and 2.55, respectively, effected the highest Pb flux compared with liquids of higher pH. They noted that lead release was linear in the pH range 4.8 to 1.75. Household vinegar is roughly 5% acetic acid and would probably be effective in depleting crystal of the majority of extractable lead. "

Undiluted sounds good, then; if you can get your hands on anything stronger that'd be even better. (Citric acid should be possible to find.)

They used a 5% nitric acid solution for two months, flush/clean/measure, and repeat for another two months. After those four months, the numbers were about the same as for one that'd seen "10 years of continuous use". That's still 2-3 times the numbers from the one with "20 years of continuous use"; I'd guess another four months of nitric acid would get you close.

As for the absoute amounts, say we go for the longest they tested: 56 days (with port wine as the test liquid). First, as a reference, the limit for drinking water in the US is 50ppm.

The best they saw was 50ppm, in the 20-year decanter. Great.
In the 10-year decanter, they got 163 ppm.
In the new decanter aged 4 months (plus two previous 56-day tests with port): 150 ppm.
In the new decanter, aged 2 months (plus one previous 56-day test with port): 330 ppm.
In a new decanter: 1410 ppm.

Now, these are concentrations, not absolute amounts. Consider how much water/day they probably used to come up with the limit for drinking water, then compare that amount to your daily whisky intake. With that in mind, those numbers should be less scary... except for the completely new one, which is a bit massive.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 30, 2015

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
OR! You could not use leaded crystal. :wth: :tipshat:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

FRINGE posted:

Sure. Looking at those numbers, though ... even the highest number would require me to drink 1/30 of my daily drinking water intake in whisky every day just to get up to the conservative limits (which is what, a couple of servings/day?), and the aged numbers are way lower. Not to mention that this is after 8 weeks of standing around; if you just serve in one and empty it again, it's entirely safe.

On the other hand, they mention seeing way higher numbers measured by other teams from decanters that were filled when new and then left standing for years. I'd dump anything stored any significant time in a newish decanter.

I'll freely admit I don't own any decanters - but if I did, I'd leave it with something acidic for half a year and then never worry about it.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 30, 2015

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008

slap me silly posted:

Nah, he'll just treat it as a withdrawal and take the tax hit. If he stays unemployed all year it won't be too bad!

On the bright side, if that happens, he'd be officially out of debt. Until he cashes out his 401k to finance his lifestyle and ends up owing the IRS a bunch of back taxes.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
It's kind of sad that only new decanters will be effective on SloMo's brain. If your decanters are old and well used just cut off a section of lead pipe and drop it in the decanter. It will help with the flavour.

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

I spent weeks slowly catching up on this thread. What a great read!

Slow Motion needs to get his poo poo together. I'm sure a competitive guy like him can't feel too good about his actuary peers moving ahead of him since they're smart enough to take these exams seriously. I can't imagine his employer thinks too highly of him. I suppose he can advance if he pulls a 180 but otherwise, this is probably as good as it is going to get for him. I'm sure he will get extra pissed off when people younger than him start advancing ahead of him, if they haven't already. Which I'm sure will result in a downward spiral of drinking, ballin, and paying his ex for sex until they tell him at work that today is the last day. Then he realizes he never made an actual dent in his debt and he has no way to continue making payments and live for no more than a handful of weeks.

It's made me pay a lot more attention to my finances. Also I learned to take my education opportunities seriously and to plan more thoroughly for the future. So this thread was useful after all!

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Computer viking posted:

Sure. Looking at those numbers, though ... even the highest number would require me to drink 1/30 of my daily drinking water intake in whisky every day just to get up to the conservative limits (which is what, a couple of servings/day?), and the aged numbers are way lower. Not to mention that this is after 8 weeks of standing around; if you just serve in one and empty it again, it's entirely safe.

On the other hand, they mention seeing way higher numbers measured by other teams from decanters that were filled when new and then left standing for years. I'd dump anything stored any significant time in a newish decanter.

I'll freely admit I don't own any decanters - but if I did, I'd leave it with something acidic for half a year and then never worry about it.

Does lead act like mercury, in that exposure is permanent and cumulative?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Computer viking posted:

Going by the paper, "Yoon et al. (1976) have shown that'... :words:
New decanters are awesome and I should buy more! I should serve water out of them as well, because look... shiny! Decanters are cool and baller because scientists have studied them. Take that stupid labeled glass whiskey bottles!

Sorry, was channeling goon in a well.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Fuschia tude posted:

Does lead act like mercury, in that exposure is permanent and cumulative?
Nerd post coming:

Just for perspective on chronic exposure - there is now a theory that the falling violent crime rate across the nation is due to the banning of leaded gasoline.

Lead (brain) damage is pernicious.

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2013/01/lead-crime-link-gasoline
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27067615

quote:

We now have studies at the international level, the national level, the state level, the city level, and even the individual level. Groups of children have been followed from the womb to adulthood, and higher childhood blood lead levels are consistently associated with higher adult arrest rates for violent crimes. All of these studies tell the same story: Gasoline lead is responsible for a good share of the rise and fall of violent crime over the past half century.

quote:

Studies have shown that exposure to lead during pregnancy reduces the head circumference of infants. In children and adults, it causes headaches, inhibits IQ and can lead to aggressive or dysfunctional behaviour.

If you want to understand the causes of crime - and be tough on them - you need to start with lead, says Dr Bernard Gesch, a physiologist at Oxford University who has studied the effect of diet and other environmental factors on criminals.

"Lead is a very potent neurotoxin," says Gesch. "It has a range of effects on the brain that have been demonstrated through hundreds of different biological studies. Lead alters the formation of the brain. It reduces the grey matter in areas responsible for things such as impulse control and executive functioning - meaning thinking and planning."

In other words - lead poisoning leads to bad decisions. The lead theorists say the poison has a time-lag effect which could not be understood until recently.

Seriously, dont use the things. "Safe amounts" of toxins are not to be trusted when there are political motivations involved.

http://healthland.time.com/2012/01/06/experts-say-current-lead-poisoning-levels-are-set-too-high/

quote:

The definition of lead poisoning doesn’t mean that levels below 5 microgm/dL are safe. “I like to say that no lead is good lead,” says Dr. Carla Campbell, a pediatrician at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia who also serves on an American Academy of Pediatrics council and was a non-voting member of the CDC panel. According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), there is no safe level of lead; any exposure can potentially be harmful.

If the vested corporations had their way, we would be drinking, eating, breathing, and bathing in their beautiful lead.

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2014/04/cosmos-neil-tyson-lead-industry-science-denial
http://www.thenation.com/article/secret-history-lead?page=full

quote:

Given his immense ordeals in conducting his measurements, it's small wonder that Patterson grew attuned to the fact that lead, a potent neurotoxin, is all around us (this was the 1950s). So fresh off discovering the age of the Earth, Patterson started researching lead in the environment. He was ideally positioned to do so: After all, he really, really knew how to measure lead.

But now, Patterson wasn't ticking off the creationists any longer; rather, he was about to encounter another source of science denial in America: corporate and special interests. "In searching for the age of the Earth, Patterson had stumbled on the evidence for a mass poisoning on an unprecedented scale," relates Tyson.

... Also at the center of last night's Cosmos episode was a scientist named Robert Kehoe, whose work was funded by the lead industry and who was a "longtime scientific advocate for leaded gasoline," in Tyson's words. The episode depicted a historic clash between Patterson and Kehoe before the US Congress over the science of lead in the environment. It also explored just how hard it was for Patterson to take on this topic. "Patterson's funding from the oil industry vanished overnight. In fact, they tried to get him fired," asserted Tyson.

quote:

This is not just a textbook example of unnecessary environmental degradation, however. Nor is this history important solely as a cautionary retort to those who would doubt the need for aggressive regulation of industry, when commercial interests ask us to sanction genetically modified food on the basis of their own scientific assurances, just as the merchants of lead once did. The leaded gasoline story must also be read as a call to action, for the lead menace lives.

Consider:

§ the severe health hazards of leaded gasoline were known to its makers and clearly identified by the US public health community more than seventy-five years ago, but were steadfastly denied by the makers, because they couldn't be immediately quantified;

§ other, safer antiknock additives--used to increase gasoline octane and counter engine "knock"--were known and available to oil companies and the makers of lead antiknocks before the lead additive was discovered, but they were covered up and denied, then fought, suppressed and unfairly maligned for decades to follow;

§ the US government was fully apprised of leaded gasoline's potentially hazardous effects and was aware of available alternatives, yet was complicit in the cover-up and even actively assisted the profiteers in spreading the use of leaded gasoline to foreign countries;

§ the benefits of lead antiknock additives were wildly and knowingly overstated in the beginning, and continue to be. Lead is not only bad for the planet and all its life forms, it is actually bad for cars and always was;

§ for more than four decades, all scientific research regarding the health implications of leaded gasoline was underwritten and controlled by the original lead cabal--Du Pont, GM and Standard Oil; such research invariably favored the industry's pro-lead views, but was from the outset fatally flawed; independent scientists who would finally catch up with the earlier work's infirmities and debunk them were--and continue to be--threatened and defamed by the lead interests and their hired hands;

§ confronted in recent years with declining sales in their biggest Western markets, owing to lead phaseouts imposed in the United States and, more recently, Europe, the current sellers of lead additives have successfully stepped up efforts to market their wares in the less-developed world, efforts that persist and have resulted in some countries today placing more lead in their gasoline, per gallon, than was typically used in the West, extra lead that serves no purpose other than profit;

§ faced with lead's demise and their inevitable days of reckoning, these firms have used the extraordinary financial returns that lead additive sales afford to hurriedly fund diversification into less risky, more conventional businesses, while taking a page from the tobacco companies' playbook and simultaneously moving to reorganize their corporate structures to shield ownership and management from liability for blanketing the earth with a deadly heavy metal.

You can choose whether to smoke, but you can't pick the air you breathe, even if it is contaminated by lead particles from automobile exhaust. Seventy-five years ago, well-known industrialists like GM's Alfred Sloan and Charles Kettering (remembered today for having founded the prestigious Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center) and the powerful brothers Pierre and Irénée du Pont added to their substantial fortunes and did the planet very dirty by disregarding the common-sense truth that no good can come from burning a long-known poison in internal-combustion engines.

Lead is poison, a potent neurotoxin whose sickening and deadly effects have been known for nearly 3,000 years and written about by historical figures from the Greek poet and physician Nikander and the Roman architect Vitruvius to Benjamin Franklin. Odorless, colorless and tasteless, lead can be detected only through chemical analysis. Unlike such carcinogens and killers as pesticides, most chemicals, waste oils and even radioactive materials, lead does not break down over time. It does not vaporize, and it never disappears.

For this reason, most of the estimated 7 million tons of lead burned in gasoline in the United States in the twentieth century remains--in the soil, air and water and in the bodies of living organisms. Worldwide, it is estimated that modern man's lead exposure is 300 to 500 times greater than background or natural levels. Indeed, a 1983 report by Britain's Royal Commission on Environmental Pollution concluded that lead was dispersed so widely by man in the twentieth century that "it is doubtful whether any part of the earth's surface or any form of life remains uncontaminated by anthropogenic [man-made] lead."

The effects of pervasive exposure to lower levels of lead are more easily miscredited; lead poisoning has been called an "aping disease" because its symptoms are so frequently those of other known ailments. Children are the first and worst victims of leaded gas; because of their immaturity, they are most susceptible to systemic and neurological injury, including lowered IQs, reading and learning disabilities, impaired hearing, reduced attention span, hyperactivity, behavioral problems and interference with growth. Because they often go undetected for some time, such maladies are particularly insidious. In adults, elevated blood-lead levels are related to hypertension and cardiovascular disease, particularly strokes, heart attacks and premature deaths.

For people that like that kind of story, its covered in some depth in "A short History of Nearly Everything" by Bryson.

(Most of those articles are waaaaaaaaaay longer than the bits I pulled out, but I thought I was already over-doing it.)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
You know what, considering what thread this is I think that this deserves its own post:

quote:

In other words - lead poisoning leads to bad decisions. The lead theorists say the poison has a time-lag effect which could not be understood until recently.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Time-lag?

As if it's in slow motion?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Computer viking posted:

Wouldn't using acid to leach all of the lead out of the refracting surface of the crystal ruin the attractive optical qualities of the crystal compared to regular glass, thereby defeating the purpose of even owning a lead crystal decanter in the first place?

YeahDavidLeeRoth
Sep 23, 2008

SlowMotion is now one of the most influential people in the #ypr in #vemma

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

FRINGE posted:

But how do you make it sparkle like a motherfucker?

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran
SlowMo, it's time to look at why you are failing the tests seriously, and it could well be a problem that has nothing to do with your money issues. A friend of mine who is great with his money gets test anxiety, and it's possible you have the same issue.

I don't get it for knowledge based tests, but years ago a job required I needed a certain swim certification, and it included a timed endurance swim and I was always freaking out before the test day. I'd practice regularly but I ended up taking the test several times and failing the timed swim by a minute or so.

Eventually a lifeguard friend helped me out, and coached me through my swim strokes. It turned out I was so concerned with making time I was sprinting, getting exhausted, and losing all steam before I could finish the test. The solution was to coach me to slow down, which after I started doing I was able to pass.

Anyway, the moral of my story is the block was mental, and the solution was counter-intuitive. What ever your issue with your work exam is, try getting an expert on the subject to help you. There is something you are missing, and your career will improve if you can find the fix.

Good luck.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

lowercase16 posted:

But how do you make it sparkle like a motherfucker?
Gold and jewels motherfucker. :whatup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Wouldn't using acid to leach all of the lead out of the refracting surface of the crystal ruin the attractive optical qualities of the crystal compared to regular glass, thereby defeating the purpose of even owning a lead crystal decanter in the first place?

Someone would have to test - but the idea is that only a very thin layer is actually leached, since glass is not especially permeable. I don't know what a thin coating of reduced-lead glass on the inside would do to the optics.

• Locked thread