Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Then it's either a ground loop or your PC's DAC is really noisy
What happens if you plug your phone into the monitors? Does the buzz go away?

The noise was a little less. To be more clear, its only audible when I put my ear an couple inches from the tweeter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

goodness posted:

The noise was a little less. To be more clear, its only audible when I put my ear an couple inches from the tweeter.

:catstare:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

:black101:

RichterIX posted:

Thanks! I don't have the most discerning ear anyway

Hob_Gadling posted:

LISTEN BEFORE YOU BUY! If you don't like the sound, buy something else!

Due to some time constraints I don't have time in the next ~30 days when I need to have this stuff on my doorstep to go listen to stuff. Ripping the walls off a ~12'x20' room (picture a 12' wart on a 2-car garage) to convert it into an office. I'm in decision paralysis mode and everything looks the same to me. General idea is I want to listen to music while I work. I don't have the most discerning ears due to various anatomical issues (gently caress sinuses, and that kid who jammed a stick into my ear as a kid.) I can tell the difference between my Sennheiser HD580's and my $20 Sennheiser disposable headphones. It's mostly streamed heavy metal, and while I joke about my neighbors reigning in blood along with me I'm not actually looking to make my ears bleed.

Inputs: Computer (Windows, I can buy a card for it to get the correct output), Phone (bluetooth), TV (TiVo Mini Vox 4k hooked to a Vizio 4k TV.)
Outputs: 2.1 or 3.1 speakers. TV will be hung from a wall on an arm. Speakers will be wall mounted.
Budget: Flexible, but I'm not spending $2000 on this setup. Probably.

Wirecutter says the Yahmaha RX-V485 is fine, and the RX-V685 is an upgrade from that. Any reason to go the 685 if I'm pretty unlikely to ever add the surrounds?

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxv485bl/yamaha-rx-v485-5.1-ch-x-80-watts-a/v-receiver/1.html - $80 off to buy a refurb vs new. Dumb idea? Link to the upgrade: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07BZZCHGN

Speakers: Is there a "go to" speaker + subwoofer combo? A friend has speakers not unlike these: https://www.polkaudio.com/products/rtia1 he bought them 10 years ago and loves them. Should I just buy these?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

H110Hawk posted:

Speakers: Is there a "go to" speaker + subwoofer combo? A friend has speakers not unlike these: https://www.polkaudio.com/products/rtia1 he bought them 10 years ago and loves them. Should I just buy these?

There is emphatically not a "go to" set of speakers and a sub. That said if you just want to order one thing this $650 package is really well regarded. Basically it's hard to do better for the money than the entry level Hsu or SVS subs but there's a million good cheap bookshelf speakers now. Other speakers to check out off the top of my head: Polk S15, Q acoustics 3020i, NHT SuperOne, ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2, Canton Chrono 502 [check ac4l], Jamo S803, KEF Q150, etc.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

KingColliwog posted:

when I tried to play a movie through my tv using my laptop yesterday I couldn’t get sound.

What model is the TV? Does it support the scenario you describe? Read the user manual and see if anything pops out (not the 2 page quick start, the real user manual you download online). Also update the software on the TV.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

goodness posted:

*trembles in former audio gear salesman*

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Panty Saluter posted:

*trembles in former audio gear salesman*

It was playing music at the time, or is this about a a very low hiss being normal for monitors?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

goodness posted:

It was playing music at the time, or is this about a a very low hiss being normal for monitors?

Very low hiss is normal for those monitors. Sorry bud.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k5MrB99lpU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

qirex posted:

There is emphatically not a "go to" set of speakers and a sub.

:argh:

qirex posted:

That said if you just want to order one thing this $650 package is really well regarded. Basically it's hard to do better for the money than the entry level Hsu or SVS subs but there's a million good cheap bookshelf speakers now. Other speakers to check out off the top of my head: Polk S15, Q acoustics 3020i, NHT SuperOne, ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2, Canton Chrono 502 [check ac4l], Jamo S803, KEF Q150, etc.

Thanks. I have a feeling that at $100/speaker I'm going to be pretty happy. I've heard the RTiA1-style Polk speakers so I think I'll just go with those. Any opinion on ac4l refurb units? 90% going to be totally fine 10% garbage? https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/polkrtia1blk/polk-audio-rti-a1-5.25-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-black-pair/1.html

Also right now Polk is really taking the phrase "a bargain at twice the price" to heart: https://www.polkaudio.com/products/rc80i (Currently showing as MSRP $150, SALE $314, in case they fix it.)

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Very low hiss is normal for those monitors. Sorry bud.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k5MrB99lpU

Thanks, it won't bother me now that I know what it is. I got them for a steal on CL and can't complain about the quality besides that !

I also have them plugged in on a power strip with 3 other things so giving them their own strip should bring the noise down a little bit.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It will probably make it worse, actually. Everything connected to the speakers should be on the same strip. Including things like monitors that are connected to the computer connected to the speakers. Ideally, there should not be any electricity coming out of one outlet and into another at all.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

KillHour posted:

Everything connected to the speakers should be on the same strip. Including things like monitors that are connected to the computer connected to the speakers.

Well that could be it. My tower psu is plugged into the wall, with everything else involved on the power strip.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

goodness posted:

Well that could be it. My tower psu is plugged into the wall, with everything else involved on the power strip.

That might not help your humming, but the way you have it now, your surge protector is offering approximately no protection from power surges.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

KillHour posted:

That might not help your humming, but the way you have it now, your surge protector is offering approximately no protection from power surges.

Good point. I was only using it for more sockets not the surge protection but I will rearrange stuff.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

goodness posted:

It's like putting your face on a TV and complaining that the individual pixels are visible

e: and people who would do that when "auditioning" speakers drove me up a fucken tree

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I can actually do that with my Adam A5Xs, not a sound even with my ear right up to the tweeter. But that is highly unusual and not something I would automatically expect.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

KozmoNaut posted:

I can actually do that with my Adam A5Xs, not a sound even with my ear right up to the tweeter. But that is highly unusual and not something I would automatically expect.
Yeah whole the Adam A#X line is dead quiet. I still want to get a pair of T5v for my desk at work but nobody has a working pair on display near me so I can check them out first.

Panty Saluter posted:

It's like putting your face on a TV and complaining that the individual pixels are visible

e: and people who would do that when "auditioning" speakers drove me up a fucken tree
:blush: I do this, but I wouldn't complain about hearing typical white noise. I would be concerned if the noise was different between the two monitors, OR had an oscillation or buzz to it that made it sound different than typical white noise.

KillHour posted:

Also, computer PSU's can be very noisy. But they have big filter circuits on the input that dump all that EMF/RF noise to the ground circuit. So if goodness' monitors are particularly susceptible to picking up ground noise (I'm pretty sure they're not) then plugging the monitors and computer into the same circuit could be a problem. Whether or not they're plugged into the same $15 power strip likely wouldn't mitigate this noise though.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Plugging them into a different circuit will probably cause a ground loop.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

H110Hawk posted:

:argh:

Thanks. I have a feeling that at $100/speaker I'm going to be pretty happy. I've heard the RTiA1-style Polk speakers so I think I'll just go with those. Any opinion on ac4l refurb units? 90% going to be totally fine 10% garbage? https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/polkrtia1blk/polk-audio-rti-a1-5.25-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-black-pair/1.html

Also right now Polk is really taking the phrase "a bargain at twice the price" to heart: https://www.polkaudio.com/products/rc80i (Currently showing as MSRP $150, SALE $314, in case they fix it.)
I've never been a big fan of the cheaper Polks. I mean if you like the way they sound check them out in your space but the design is way old. They have the S20s for only a little bit more with a 6.5" driver but be warned they are OMGhuge in person and don't have the built-in wall mount. I bought my speakers and receiver from AC4L and they've been champs. If there's something wrong it can be a bit of a hassle sending stuff back but that's about the only bad thing I've heard about them and they've been around for 20 years [I used to buy speaker wire from them back in the 90s].

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

qirex posted:

I bought my speakers and receiver from AC4L and they've been champs. If there's something wrong it can be a bit of a hassle sending stuff back but that's about the only bad thing I've heard about them and they've been around for 20 years [I used to buy speaker wire from them back in the 90s].

OP says to post a trip report so I pulled the trigger on this stuff from AC4L:

(Refurb) 1 POLK AUDIO OS70 Outdoor 6.5" 2-Way Speakers White Pair (POLKOS70) $88.88 $88.88
(Refurb) 1 YAMAHA RX-V685 7.2-Ch x 90 Watts A/V Receiver (YAMRXV685BL) $379.99 $379.99
(New, seemingly quite discounted?) 1 KEF C4 8" 200 Watt Powered Subwoofer Black NEW (KEFC4BLKA) $199.99 $199.99

Amazon: Polk RTi-1A's

I realized at the last minute I could slap some speakers on the outside of my office and it would give us music in the back yard, so I decided to go up to the 685 from the 485 to get the second zone. I don't really care about how it sounds outside, as what we were doing before was a random bluetooth speaker. Next to assemble up all the little bits and bobs to route this crap inside the wall.

I assume whatever random banaplugs, wall boxes, cables and such from Monoprice/Amazon are fine?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

H110Hawk posted:

(New, seemingly quite discounted?) 1 KEF C4 8" 200 Watt Powered Subwoofer Black NEW (KEFC4BLKA) $199.99 $199.99
I assume you're going to find out why it's so discounted. General advice is to not buy subwoofers from companies that don't primarily do subs. I'm sure it won't be horrible but it's not what I would buy.

And yeah, Monoprice/Amazon are fine for cables. Get CL2/CL3 speaker wire if you're going through a wall.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

qirex posted:

I assume you're going to find out why it's so discounted. General advice is to not buy subwoofers from companies that don't primarily do subs. I'm sure it won't be horrible but it's not what I would buy.

As far as lessons learned, a suggested list of "not bad, but maybe not what you want" would go a long way for people like me. I know this thread is philosophically against it, but to people like me who are low-effort it comes across like something I would expect in the "let's make fun of audiophiles" thread. I mean this as constructive criticism. :v:

qirex posted:

And yeah, Monoprice/Amazon are fine for cables. Get CL2/CL3 speaker wire if you're going through a wall.

Good to know. Something like: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2817 . For the gauge I googled and found this: https://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/speaker-cable-gauge which says for a 60' run at 8 ohms I should use 12 AWG. My maximum run length should be no further than three times the longest dimension of the room, to account for across the room, up the wall (8'), down the wall, and any jumper cables. Seem like a reasonable assumption?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

H110Hawk posted:

As far as lessons learned, a suggested list of "not bad, but maybe not what you want" would go a long way for people like me. I know this thread is philosophically against it, but to people like me who are low-effort it comes across like something I would expect in the "let's make fun of audiophiles" thread. I mean this as constructive criticism. :v:
Didn't mean to come across snotty, it's nice to see someone actually follow through since most people who start asking about this stuff get frustrated and buy a soundbar.

The lower end of the market always involves compromises and as of now the $400-500 price point is where you start getting into "proper" subs. I don't think you could have done much better for 200 new, I've just never heard anyone say anything good about KEF's subs. I think with the smaller drivers [8" is little by subwoofer standards] you at least won't get into them being too boomy which is the downside of a lot of cheaper subs. You'll probably get more imediate enjoyment out of outdoor speakers and in a few years if you decide you might want more bass Hsu, REL, SVS and Rythmik will [probably] still exist.

edit: 12 AWG for speaker wire is fine.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

The Big Bad Worf posted:

Looking to get a receiver for my living room. My primary concerns are hdr/4k pass through, and no audio or input lag added by the receiver. Other features like a phono input and eARC would be a nice bonus, but I wouldn't pay a huge premium just to get those.

I play rhythm games like djmax and rocksmith, and fighting games like street fighter, so I need it to pass through the video without any delay and accept pcm signals from consoles / PCs without adding any delays or processing lag for the audio. I saw the link to accessories4less, but unsurprisingly, no option to sort by these kinds of features I'm asking for. Anyone got any advice on what I should buy? $200-300 or so would be my ideal price point, but I'm willing to flex up for the right receiver.

I think I'm getting closer to finding what I need; testing on the X3400H seems to indicate that it has an output mode for the video that has 4ms or less of video delay. But something I can't find in the manual is whether or not it supports a function to directly pass analog inputs to the amplifying hardware without having to be routed through all of the digital processing, which is a function that would allow it to act like an analog only 2.0/2.1 receiver, effectively. If the decoding on the audio isn't fast enough for my tastes, this would give me a backup way to connect some of my consoles to get the performance I want. Some Pioneer and Onkyo AVRs state plain as day that they have special modes to route analog inputs directly to the amplifiers. The closest I can see in the Denon manuals is mention of a "Direct" or "Pure Direct" mode that seems to focus more on turning off the analog hardware entirely to reduce potential for noise / interference for digital to analog conversions. Did I miss something in the manual, or am I not correctly interpreting the function of the Direct modes?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Pure direct turns off all audio processing. It might not sound great because you’ll be flying with solely the characteristics of your speakers and your room, but it’s there.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -